Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

precision posted:

There are more "hints" than that; Carrot is most definitely the heir.

He almost certainly is, but Carrot is not above manipulating other people by encouraging whatever nonsense they think to be true. He would play that scene the same even if he thought he wasn't the heir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unseen-Academicals-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0385609345/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243399359&sr=8-1

New book on October 8th. It is Unseen Academicals. The Wizards are playing football. Woohoo!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
:woop:
I thought Raising Taxes was due out first.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Entropic posted:

:woop:
I thought Raising Taxes was due out first.

I don't see anything on Amazon. I check every so often to see when his new book, whatever it is, will be out. Today I found the good news. Seems like forever since his last discworld novel. I may be off, but going backwards aren't the last three: Nation, Wintersmith, Making Money?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unseen-Academicals-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0385609345/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243399359&sr=8-1

New book on October 8th. It is Unseen Academicals. The Wizards are playing football. Woohoo!

Is that Lord Vetinari as the referee? Good god.

I must say, I'd have preferred another Von Lipwig book, as I've never been the biggest fan of Rincewind, but the Librarian (as the goalie!), Bursar and Ridcully are always an absolute joy to read about.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Irisi posted:

Is that Lord Vetinari as the referee? Good god.

I must say, I'd have preferred another Von Lipwig book, as I've never been the biggest fan of Rincewind, but the Librarian (as the goalie!), Bursar and Ridcully are always an absolute joy to read about.

Who said Rincewind was in it?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Where did Rincewind end up at the end of The Last Hero? I forget.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Entropic posted:

Where did Rincewind end up at the end of The Last Hero? I forget.

On a spaceship with Carrot looking down at the Disc

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

DontMockMySmock posted:

Who said Rincewind was in it?

The luggage is there. Usually Rincewind is near the luggage.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Eunabomber posted:

The luggage is there. Usually Rincewind is near the luggage.

I totally missed that. That makes total sense.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That's actually Rincewind stood beside Vetinari. The hat and glum demeanour give it away.

Soviet Stranger
May 5, 2008
LENIN PREDICTED THIS POST ->

precision posted:

Which makes me sad, especially given his next main Disc novel is about the wizards playing football. I mean, really? Unless he has some curveball planned, that sounds like something he would have done far earlier when the series was a lot more silly.

I would imagine its going to focus more on day to day life in the university, something which has not really been talked about much. It kind of hints towards that anyway on the books wikipedia profile where it says the book will look at the "below the stairs" life in the university.

On the topic of the future, I do hope he does a "finish" to the story arcs. Moist becoming patrician, Vimes finally retiring, Carrot becoming the new commander, Nobby getting married, Colon going home to his wife and the start of the Industrial Revolution or some sort of new societal era. All the stuff we expect and want to see.

Juice Packets
Sep 22, 2005

They're Handy But They Leak Like Fuck!™

Nilbop posted:

That's actually Rincewind stood beside Vetinari. The hat and glum demeanour give it away.

That and him looking exactly the same as in all the other Paul Kidby drawings of him. Maybe more glum than usual.

Still, fantastic, new Discworld! I do enjoy the UU books rather.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere but I stopped into my local comic shop this afternoon and saw a flyer for this: The First North American Discworld Convention.

It sounds like more of a charity event than a con, I'm thinking it might be really fun.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

mistaya posted:

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere but I stopped into my local comic shop this afternoon and saw a flyer for this: The First North American Discworld Convention.

Additional guests? Who else is there? Unless they mean Sam Gamgee or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LooseChanj posted:

Additional guests? Who else is there? Unless they mean Sam Gamgee or something.

Diane Duane, Peter Morwood, Bernard & Isobel Pearson ('The Cunning Artificer'). Ask Duane about her Trek books!

edit: I've been to a few DiscCons here in the UK. They're usually pretty fun. This one seems rather pricey though. $90 for membership, $130 a night hotel rate at 3 nights minimum... then food, spending money, etc.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 6, 2009

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
The con's are worth it for Terry's bedtime stories, though if you watched the recent documentary I don't know if he'll do that again, that was utterly depressing. Basically he reads from whatever he's working on, be that the next book or the one after or both.

I've only been to the UK DW Con twice but it's been great both times.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Just a bump to let anyone else interested to know that The Color of Magic is coming out on DVD next week.

Ulstan
Apr 29, 2008

LICENSED SARAH PALIN WHITE KNIGHT

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Just a bump to let anyone else interested to know that The Color of Magic is coming out on DVD next week.

What? Really? I am behind the times I've heard nothing of this.

I saw a DVD for 'hogfather' I think, so I'm glad to see there are more. Even though I thought some of his later books were much better than Color of Magic, still good news!

Although if I had to pick, I'd rather a night watch series as opposed to a rincewind series of DVD's.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Apparently the next movie they're making is Going Postal.

Ulstan
Apr 29, 2008

LICENSED SARAH PALIN WHITE KNIGHT
That's an excellent choice. Moist Von Lipwig is up there with Vimes and Vetinari in terms of being an interesting character.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Apparently the next movie they're making is Going Postal.

This is a fantastic idea. Fresh characters that don't need much backstory, charismatic lead, lots of action and a cool set piece. Makes me wish all the best Vimes stories didn't need three movies of prequel to make any sense.

Ninja edit; f,b

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Any word of if David Jason is going to be in Going Postal?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I remember the director and crew got it out of the way pretty soon after Colour of Magic aired that Jason won't be appearing.

Thank God.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nilbop posted:

I remember the director and crew got it out of the way pretty soon after Colour of Magic aired that Jason won't be appearing.

Thank God.

:neckbeard:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I didn't really care for either of the TV adaptations. Mostly, I think, because I didn't like most of the casting. Except for Susan, who was perfect.

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh
Same dates as PAX, arrgh

Actually, I've gotten so much joy from all his books, TP can write about whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned. If he wants to spend his last lucid days writing non-fiction about bird watching I'll never complain,

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
So The Color of Magic showed up today and I've watched it and it's actually a really good adaptation of the first two books even with the changes they made to the story. I know there were a lot of people who wanted someone younger to play Rincewind but I think David Jason does a great job. And while I'm sure most of us assumed that Twoflower wasn't American, Sean Astin works really well. There's even a Lord of the Rings reference which I was not expecting and made me laugh pretty hard.

Even though it was only $12 on amazon I really enjoyed it. Will buy the gently caress out of Going Postal even though it won't be over here until 2010 :911:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

Any word of if David Jason is going to be in Going Postal?

They started shooting in May, and most of the casting is up on IMDB.

Jeremy Irons is not returning as Vetinari.

Tamsin Greig is going to be Sacharissa Cripslock.

Apparently this lady is going to be Angua.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

shadok posted:

You'd think they'd get a commitment for the next mini as part of signing up for the first one.

Although if the replacement is the guy I think he is, he'll do a pretty good job and not have a gay lisp.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

shadok posted:

Tamsin Greig is going to be Sacharissa Cripslock.

Apparently this lady is going to be Angua.

Claire Foy doesn't look anywhere near mean enough to be Adora Belle Dearheart.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
No David Jason on IMDB listings?

Oh.

Oh thank god.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dead Alice posted:

Although if the replacement is the guy I think he is, he'll do a pretty good job and not have a gay lisp.

Mostly I remember him for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL-s4ax0oIM

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Actually I have to admit that the Angua, Sacharissa and Moist picks look very promising, as well as this

shadok posted:

Mostly I remember him for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL-s4ax0oIM

This was my favourite scene from that movie.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Tamsin Greig was good as Lamia in Neverwhere.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Not anything about his books, but Terry Pratchett spoke recently about a House of Lords decision on assisted suicide, tying his Alzheimer's into the discussion. It's pretty sad. :smith:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1203622/Ill-die-endgame-says-Terry-Pratchett-law-allow-assisted-suicides-UK.html

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I write this as someone who has, regrettably, become famous for having Alzheimer's. Although being famous is all the rage these days, it's fame I could do without.

:smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pyrolocutus posted:

Not anything about his books, but Terry Pratchett spoke recently about a House of Lords decision on assisted suicide, tying his Alzheimer's into the discussion. It's pretty sad. :smith:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1203622/Ill-die-endgame-says-Terry-Pratchett-law-allow-assisted-suicides-UK.html

I read that last week and it was very hard to get through for me because Terry's family. :smith:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
[Pratchett] said some ways of looking after those with chronic illnesses, including forcible or 'peg' feeding of Alzheimer's sufferers, were degradpulsorying and painful.

I am guessing that Terry Pratchett did not actually say or write "degradpulsorying".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daemitus
Feb 21, 2006
Why wouldnt he? Its right up there with his books.