Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

JoeCitizen posted:

I just ran the HD tune error can with not even a hiccup and booted off an Ubuntu live cd. The problem doesn't exist outside of Win7. I'm guessing it's something to do with Nod32, the thumbnail cache or indexing.

Maybe indexing.

Maybe a bad app has an even worse Extension loaded in Explorer.

Did it work fine on a clean install, but suddenly start acting up after you loaded all your software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

Maybe indexing.

Maybe a bad app has an even worse Extension loaded in Explorer.

Did it work fine on a clean install, but suddenly start acting up after you loaded all your software?

Yeah. It was a clean install as well. See any likely culprits?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Relambrien posted:

The only problem is that PunkBuster or whatever has issues with Windows 7 and refuses to run. I have absolutely no idea if this has been fixed, but I do know people have had problems because of it.

Punkbuster has worked just fine for me when I use it to play quake live. I have to run IE as an administrator though.

My only problem I've had with windows 7 so far is if I'm playing a game full screen, like WoW, and I alt-tab out to log into ventrilo or whatever, I can't tab back in. The game crashes and I just have to start it back up. But it doesn't do it all the time so I'm not really sure what I'm doing differently.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Combo posted:

Punkbuster has worked just fine for me when I use it to play quake live. I have to run IE as an administrator though.

My only problem I've had with windows 7 so far is if I'm playing a game full screen, like WoW, and I alt-tab out to log into ventrilo or whatever, I can't tab back in. The game crashes and I just have to start it back up. But it doesn't do it all the time so I'm not really sure what I'm doing differently.

For now, run it in a maximized window until they release a fix of some sort. Comes out to about the same thing.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Parachute Underwear posted:

For now, run it in a maximized window until they release a fix of some sort. Comes out to about the same thing.
On an 8800 GTS, I can't run WoW in a maximized window. The framerate drops significantly and stutters regularly. I have to just play in full-screen mode, where it runs beautifully except for when it just starts crashing with graphical glitches.

Compo
Mar 30, 2007

Cats have been killed for less.
This has probably been answered, but this is a really long thread.

If I buy this for $189.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116678

Then I will get a free upgrade coupon to this $319.99 version of Windows 7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116678 ??

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Compo posted:

If I buy this for $189.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116678

Then I will get a free upgrade coupon to this $319.99 version of Windows 7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116678 ??

They are the same link

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

-Dethstryk- posted:

On an 8800 GTS, I can't run WoW in a maximized window. The framerate drops significantly and stutters regularly. I have to just play in full-screen mode, where it runs beautifully except for when it just starts crashing with graphical glitches.

Hmm. I haven't had graphical glitching but I've been having lock-up issues with WoW in 7 (just the 7100RC so I'm curious if later builds are better, too) I was wondering if it was a driver thing or a memory thing or what. I'm positive it isn't a hardware issue, because my husbands motherboard committed suicide so we hacked together an old computer with the 7100RC for him while we wait for the RMA to return, and now HE is having the same lock-ups, and without any addons or anything installed either. Now I'm curious if anyone else here is having something similar. It's so intermittant it's hard to track down.

Ever since installing 7 I've noticed loading screens cause the game window to flag as Not Responding, but it always loads anyway. I wonder if that's related at all. Primarily it will lock when zoning into Dalaran (either freshly logging on or flying into the zone from elsewhere, which is fun because you log back in without a mount or a parachute and splatter), and in battlegrounds or arena (also an exciting time to randomly crash!). Your character loads, you go to move and... frozen and Not Responding. The window will close instantly when we close it and we can log back in right away. I've only had it happen once ever on a raid and my entire system shut down that time (explorer went non-responsive), so it could be an unrelated crash because I had a bad driver leaking memory at one point too.

The only thing in common between the two computers we've been running it on are that it's a 7100 build of the Win7 RC and they both have nVidia cards and drivers (a 9800GTX+ running the 186 drivers, and a 7900GS running the 190 drivers). I ran the repair tool to nuke all the caches and it didn't seem to change anything.

At this point I'm just sort of hoping it's a driver that's having an argument with the 7100 build, and when I get my full version through the University next month it won't be an issue anymore, but I'm curious if it's a common problem.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

I have a question about unsigned drivers and Win7-64 - which has probably been asked but I haven't kept up with the thread very well (checked the OP and first page at least though.)

Is there any way to permanantly enable unsigned drivers? This is mostly for RemoteJoy and one or two other applications that utilize unsigned unofficial drivers...in addition the only way to get my laptop working is some hacked drivers due to HP using a company for my particular model that basically tanked after releasing two sets of drivers.

I've checked online and have found conflicting reports, and a few suggestions that didn't work. I'm running the RC currently.

Any ideas? I suppose it's not a complete dealbreaker to just have to watch my PC on boot, but it can be frustrating.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

Thermopyle posted:

I know it's possible if the network drive is on a Windows box. If it is, install Windows Desktop Search 4.0 on that machine. Windows will share the index across the network. The downside of this is that it doesn't seem to work through the start menu quick search. You have to use the search bar in an Explorer window that is viewing the shared drive.

Unfortunately it's not. It's an unRAID box - http://www.lime-technology.com/joomla/

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy

Compo posted:

No, you'll get an OEM version of Windows 7 Ultimate, not the full retail version. This means you're only allowed to install it on one computer.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CheeToS posted:

No, you'll get an OEM version of Windows 7 Ultimate, not the full retail version. This means you're only allowed to install it on one computer.

I haven't looked into the deal too closely, but don't you just get an Upgrade edition of the OS, there's no difference between Retail or OEM for upgrades, is there?

Any though it's against the EULA, numerous people have had success with installing OEM licenses on new machines if they are swapping to it. It's not guaranteed, but it's also not impossible.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

So, uh, what's the deal with Device Stage? I'm running my ultimate from MSDN, and I plug in my 5800 (which is on the list and popped it up in beta) and it's not showing up. It's on Devices & Printers, but that just brings up Properties and lets me explore. I even tried the "Open WMP" option as was suggested on a blog I found on Google, and it still doesn't pop up.

Did it get silently cut? Is it buried somewhere deep in the bowels of the system, only to be powered up later? Am I just missing something really obvious?

Found it, Nokia 5800 has to be in Media Transfer mode, not PC Suite mode. Nice of them to mention this, and it definitely seems to be lacking features compared to preview shots. But whatever.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 11, 2009

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Alright, I have Windows 7 RTM running fine, but now I'm having problems figuring out how to re-organize/reformat my drives like I want.

Right now I have 3 older drives and one new HD (250GB, 320GB, 500GB, and 1TB respectively) The old Windows 7 Beta is installed (and still bootable) on the C: partition of the 320GB drive (split into C: and D:).

The new TB HD is split into 2 500GB partitions (H: and I:), and the Windows 7 RTM is installed on the H: partition.

What I want is to wipe the 320GB drive (currently C: and D:) entirely, and change the drive path of H: and I: to C: and D:, so that the current Windows 7 RTM partition is the new C: partition. I realize in hindsight this may very well mean I need to reformat 7 RTM again, but I'm not worried about that.

I can't figure out what exactly I need to do to accomplish this. The closest thing I've found is http://windows7center.com/forums/useful-guides/1118-how-move-vista-7-different-partition.html but that sounds like it'll move the current RTM install to the old drive, which isn't what I want (the 320GB drive is 4 years old and sloooowww).

Help? :confused:

fake edit- the point of all this is to get rid of all three older drives at once in a week or two when I can afford another 1TB HD to move all of my documents and media to.

real edit- Nevermind, I got it figured out. Ended up using the Windows 7 disc to reformat the 2 320GB drive partitions, cancelling installation, shutting it down to disconnect everything but the 1TB drive, reinstalling Windows 7 RTM on a 500GB partition on that, then reconnecting all the old drives and renaming their drive letters/reformatting old drives what was finally worked. There's probably a less Rube Goldbergian way I could have gone about it, but oh well.

Cerri fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 11, 2009

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
I am seriously thinking about installing the RC, but there are a few caveats.

Firstly, I am running a system with a SiS chipset, 760. Would this even loving support Windows 7? I am also running an AGP graphics card, 7800GS. Same question. My system specs are below:

HDD: 160GB WD ATA
Motherboard: Literally the worst one in existence. OEM HP Asus, Salmon.
RAM: 1GB Corsair DDR
Video Card: 7800 GS
CPU: S 754 Athlon 3200+

So, think it'll run? Oh, and I'll be repartiooning this drive with partition magic. I just want to try it out, but cannot imagine it'd run well in a VM.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Aturaten posted:

I am seriously thinking about installing the RC, but there are a few caveats.

Firstly, I am running a system with a SiS chipset, 760. Would this even loving support Windows 7? I am also running an AGP graphics card, 7800GS. Same question. My system specs are below:

HDD: 160GB WD ATA
Motherboard: Literally the worst one in existence. OEM HP Asus, Salmon.
RAM: 1GB Corsair DDR
Video Card: 7800 GS
CPU: S 754 Athlon 3200+

So, think it'll run? Oh, and I'll be repartiooning this drive with partition magic. I just want to try it out, but cannot imagine it'd run well in a VM.

Thats' pretty much the specs I had when I first installed Windows 7 (though I had the 7600GT PCI-E card). Windows 7 ran fine though. Not sure about the SiS thing

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a way to install 7 without burning the ISO to a disk?

BizzyLimpkits
May 20, 2001

Who's that coming down the track...

IntoTheNihil posted:

Is there a way to install 7 without burning the ISO to a disk?

Just mount the ISO, it will install fine.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 14, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've looked around, and can't really find the answer to this one... but in Windows 7, is there any place to put a folder on the taskbar so that when you click on it, the contents of that folder are displayed in a pop-up window that disappears once you open something in that folder?

edit: Basically, can you have what OSX calls "stacks?" By the way, the video is only to illustrate the menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64mr_doqvcc

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 11, 2009

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

GreatGreen posted:

I've looked around, and can't really find the answer to this one... but in Windows 7, is there any place to put a folder on the taskbar so that when you click on it, the contents of that folder are displayed in a pop-up window that disappears once you open something in that folder?

edit: Basically, can you have what OSX calls "stacks?" By the way, the video is only to illustrate the menu.

I really want to give you one of those "let me google that for you" links because jesus christ, but here's the first hit on google when you search for "windows 7 stacks"

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/use-os-x-like-stack-in-windows-7/

Edit: I will take this opportunity to point out that windows has had "stacks" since XP or maybe even 98. You just added a toolbar to the taskbar and pointed it to a folder like MyDocs. It wasnt all oooh aahhh pretty but you could drill down into sub folders and everything else stacks do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The update is warning me that my AAY35W3F IDE Controller won't function after the update. Is this just a compatibility problem or something I shouldn't mess with?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

IntoTheNihil posted:

The update is warning me that my AAY35W3F IDE Controller won't function after the update. Is this just a compatibility problem or something I shouldn't mess with?

You may be using a Manufacture-released-and-optimized version of a driver (that doesn't have a Windows 7 WHQL version).

Windows will use the generic Microsoft driver after install..

MAYBE.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Xenomorph posted:

You may be using a Manufacture-released-and-optimized version of a driver (that doesn't have a Windows 7 WHQL version).

Windows will use the generic Microsoft driver after install..

MAYBE.

MAYBE? :cry:

After googling it looks like i'd have to find some kind of generic driver, but I have no idea how i'd go about finding a compatible one.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

IntoTheNihil posted:

Uninstall Daemon Tools before you upgrade. That's the fake IDE controller it created.

Reinstall it afterwards, but if you are installing Daemon Tools Lite then install SPTD manually before you reinstall Daemon Tools Lite itself.

revolther
May 27, 2008

xamphear posted:

I will take this opportunity to point out that windows has had "stacks" since XP or maybe even 98. You just added a toolbar to the taskbar and pointed it to a folder like MyDocs. It wasnt all oooh aahhh pretty but you could drill down into sub folders and everything else stacks do.
I'm so glad someone else realizes this. The new craze for stacks has got bile backing up my throat for something that's been around forever.

If Windows 7 supported all the folder views in the Quicklaunch menus I'd be thrilled.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lum posted:

Uninstall Daemon Tools before you upgrade. That's the fake IDE controller it created.

Reinstall it afterwards, but if you are installing Daemon Tools Lite then install SPTD manually before you reinstall Daemon Tools Lite itself.
Ohhhh, poo poo, that makes sense since i'm using daemon tools to install it. So it'll work fine to install, just not afterwards?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

IntoTheNihil posted:

Ohhhh, poo poo, that makes sense since i'm using daemon tools to install it. So it'll work fine to install, just not afterwards?

Dunno. I did a clean install.

To be safe I'd personally copy the contents of the ISO into a folder and run the upgrade from there because you'll be stuffed if Daemon Tools craps out after the first reboot and you can't access the CD any more.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
I did a clean install too, using Daemon, and installed it after using the latest lite off the site. I didn't have to install SPTD manually or anything (RTM)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

GreatGreen posted:

You could use http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/ShortPopUp/ to do something like this (but it would be a menu with 16x16 icons)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I haven't used the included Virtual PC, but when/if Microsoft's drivers are put into the Linux kernel does that mean Windows 7 could easily virtualize Linux?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I don't think so. It was more to do with MS's big commerical virtualisation tech (can't remember the name now).

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

PopeOnARope posted:

I did a clean install too, using Daemon, and installed it after using the latest lite off the site. I didn't have to install SPTD manually or anything (RTM)
I installed SPTD manually but I'm also not sure it's required.

Daemon Tools Lite says it includes SPTD 1.58 and is compatible with Windows 7 but the SPTD site says that 1.60 is needed? (I think?)

I'm confused over the whole thing myself :(

To make matters even more confusing, apparently Daemon Tools Pro includes SPTD 1.60.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

loving hell, MS decided to not include Windows Movie Maker with 7, for who knows what reason :psyduck:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

giZm posted:

loving hell, MS decided to not include Windows Movie Maker with 7, for who knows what reason :psyduck:

It's in the live essentials

http://download.live.com/

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

c0burn posted:

It's in the live essentials

http://download.live.com/
That thing is even more stripped down than something that's really stripped down. There isn't even a timeline anymore, they got rid of that. It features a total of two (2!) resolutions for output: 640x480 2.8mbps 30 fps and 320x240 1.5mbps 30 fps.

Sure, you can download and install WMM 2.6 from MS, but that's the XP version, without HD support. Damnit.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

giZm posted:

At least Windows isn't BLOATED anymore hurf durf

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

giZm posted:

That thing is even more stripped down than something that's really stripped down. There isn't even a timeline anymore, they got rid of that. It features a total of two (2!) resolutions for output: 640x480 2.8mbps 30 fps and 320x240 1.5mbps 30 fps.

Sure, you can download and install WMM 2.6 from MS, but that's the XP version, without HD support. Damnit.

This is what happens when the EU shits itself over Microsoft.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

giZm posted:

If you're limited to 640x480 then that's not HD either :p

They could've at least supported PAL resolutions though. *sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

giZm posted:

What the gently caress?

I hadn't even used it before, but I downloaded it real quick to test it.

How the gently caress are you supposed to use the program without a timeline?

I like Movie Maker.
I put this together several years ago with the XP Movie Maker. All I did was line poo poo up with the timeline to try and sync some of the video with audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE0wM0bT45Y

I don't even know how you can sync up poo poo without the timeline.