Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Leviathan posted:

Also, can you guys tell me some of your favorite 90's shows?

Highlander. Adrian Paul is a much better actor than Christopher Lambert. Plus it's 5 seasons of more Highlander. Well if you ignore the last season and a half because it was lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

calandryll posted:

Highlander. Adrian Paul is a much better actor than Christopher Lambert. Plus it's 5 seasons of more Highlander. Well if you ignore the last season and a half because it was lovely.

Oh man I forgot how awesome this show was (one thing I do remember is that I was always sorely disappointed when all the decapitations were cutaway shots).

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Leviathan posted:

Oh man I forgot how awesome this show was (one thing I do remember is that I was always sorely disappointed when all the decapitations were cutaway shots).

If I remember correctly you do see a few. I distinctly remember Richie's head coming off and rolling away.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
^^ good to know

bonestructure posted:

The "favorite" part is about quality and not quantity, right? From the moment Profit gets thoroughly tongue-kissed by a hot cougar and then says "Hi, mom" I knew that show was not long for this world, but it was amazing while it lasted.

Is the first season 8 epis or was it canceled in the middle?

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

Leviathan posted:

Bonk I swear you are the king of the Lost apologists. Jack could take a steaming dump on Locke's chest and you'd be eating it up as preplanned. What about characters like Libby or Walt that have been ignored way more than they should've? We're at the end of 5 seasons and we arguably have little more than scarce details about :

Agelessness • Character connections • Dreams and visions • Electromagnetism • Healing • The "magic box" • Mediumship • The Monster • The Numbers • Pregnancy issue • Premonitions • The Rules • Time travel • Whispers

How long is this show supposed to run again?

I don't want to go into spoilers but they've said they are going to explain a large number of the items you posted in the coming season.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Aluminum Record posted:

I don't want to go into spoilers but they've said they are going to explain a large number of the items you posted in the coming season.

By sloppily retconning a bunch of poo poo they made up because it was cool and mysterious. Great writing there.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

Bambi posted:

By sloppily retconning a bunch of poo poo they made up because it was cool and mysterious. Great writing there.

Any goddamn show is poo poo the writers made up because it was cool and mysterious. Where is your argument?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Uh....no

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Aluminum Record posted:

The whole point is that the writers have introduced too much bullshit without enough time to explain it in a very meaningful way (considering the next season is the last). 10 bucks says there's going to be about a thousand sorely disappointing deus ex machinas i.e. I felt the Jacob reveal and his whole dumbass 'lemme touch everybody' storyline was pretty anti-climactic.

From Wiki:

"Lindelof and Cuse stated that securing the 2010 series-end date "was immensely liberating" and helped the series rediscover its focus.[65] Lindelof noted, "We're no longer stalling."[65] The producers also plan to wrap up long-standing mysteries, such as the nature of the smoke monster, the four-toed statue of Taweret, and the identity of the skeletons from the season one episode "House of the Rising Sun".[66]"

Hmm, I wonder why they had to rediscover their focus if it was so well-planned and organized all along...:rolleyes:

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 13, 2009

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Hmm, I wonder why they had to rediscover their focus if it was so well-planned and organized all along...:rolleyes:

Because the network was making them drag things out because of how much money it was making them. It's not complicated.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I just finished the first season of Mad Men. I like this show a lot, but I can't really say that I get it. Don's speech at the end, his pitch for the slide projector (I don't think that's a spoiler, but I'll do it just in case), was amazing though, they really knocked that one out of the park.

Vivek fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 13, 2009

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Because the network was making them drag things out because of how much money it was making them. It's not complicated.

Really, that's the excuse? "Oh no, I'm getting a shitload of episodes to work with while other shows are getting cancelled so I'm gonna go ahead and write three straight seasons of convoluted clusterfuck oh thank christ they're finally letting me quit time to wrap it up in 6 months see ya"

Vivek posted:

I just finished the first season of Mad Men. I like this show, but I can't really say that I get it.

I think a good part of what makes it awesome is that there are so many scenes where there's nothing to 'get' because, for lack of a better phrase, the show just happens.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 13, 2009

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Leviathan posted:

I think a good part of what makes it awesome is that there are so many scenes where there's nothing to 'get' because, for lack of a better phrase, the show just happens.

It reminds me of The Wire, which is described as a "visual novel" partly due to the way it doesn't explain what's going on to you. Both shows feel like they're written to a much higher standard than anything else on TV.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

Vivek posted:

It reminds me of The Wire, which is described as a "visual novel" partly due to the way it doesn't explain what's going on to you. Both shows feel like they're written to a much higher standard than anything else on TV.

I just watched the first season of The Wire in about 3 days and absolutely loved it. I've just started on season 2 though and it's not doing much for me. I'm 3 episodes in and the whole Polish infighting and corrupt union angle isn't really doing much for me. Does it get better as the season goes on? Was season 1 the high water mark for this show?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Really, that's the excuse? "Oh no, I'm getting a shitload of episodes to work with while other shows are getting cancelled so I'm gonna go ahead and write three straight seasons of convoluted clusterfuck oh thank christ they're finally letting me quit time to wrap it up in 6 months see ya"

I should really know better by now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

sos posted:

I just watched the first season of The Wire in about 3 days and absolutely loved it. I've just started on season 2 though and it's not doing much for me. I'm 3 episodes in and the whole Polish infighting and corrupt union angle isn't really doing much for me. Does it get better as the season goes on? Was season 1 the high water mark for this show?
I think most people wouldn't agree. Most tend to like seasons 3 and 4 the most, if anything.

For whatever reason most people don't care for season 2 as much the first time through, but if/when they go back to rewatch later they find they like just as much, if not more, than the rest. I can tell you that it's my personal favorite.

You have to understand, The Wire is not a police procedural, nor is it about the war on drugs. It's bigger than that. The second season is where David Simon really starts to hit home what the series is really about; the institutions we assign ourselves to, and how they ultimately fail us. The first season was the war on drugs, and the second season is the collapse of the working class. It all fits together when you understand how these various places and concepts are failing these people.

Also don't try to look at the story arcs in each season as isolated. EVERYTHING flows and fits together. There's poo poo being set up virtually every single episode that may not be touched upon until the final season. "All the pieces matter", after all.

Really, though, the way the second season develops is really gut wrenching. Outside of maybe season 4 it has probably my favorite finale and payoff of a given season in the show. I can't imagine you'll end the season feeling the way you do now.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

sos posted:

So season 2 is the hardest season to appreciate, because it's very different from all the others. It's not until the second time around do most people appreciate how good it is. That being said, even if you don't enjoy it, seasons 3 and 4 will turn it around for you in that they take they story back to the streets in a big way. Most people say season 4 is the best, with season 3 being a close second.

edit: Okay, looks like I said pretty much the same thing as the guy before me. Seriously, though, I know The Wire gets hyped up a lot around here, but it's the one show that, for me anyway, absolutely blew away even my highest expectations for it.

Vivek fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 13, 2009

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I should really know better by now.

Sorry we're not all on the inside track like you.

Vivek posted:

So season 2 is the hardest season to appreciate, because it's very different from all the others.

The first couple episodes of season 2 caught me by surprise because it took me forever to get into season 1, and by the time 2 starts it's a little confusing that the story is now following greeks and pollocks out on the docks. But, like season 1, once you get 5-6 episodes in you really start taking an interest in the characters, plus it's nice seeing a different aspect of faux-Baltimore race relations.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 13, 2009

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Sorry we're not all on the inside track like you.

The "inside track" is more about the futility of arguing on the internet than about whether or not you appreciate Lost.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I just finished out both seasons of Reaper. That finale was pretty bad, but I liked the series.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

Just finished Carnivale. I know most people in this thread have probably already seen it, but it ranks up there as one of the best shows I have ever seen. Season 1 is brilliant, and S2 is still almost as good if not for a little bit of hazy details in the script. Put me in the group that says whoever was responsible for canceling this show should have been fired.

Time to pack up and kick some dust though, there are more shows to watch.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Leviathan posted:

Is the first season 8 epis or was it canceled in the middle?

If I remember right, those eight were supposed to be the full first season. There was a big blowup at Fox after the pilot aired, because some higher-up network people had no idea that the show was that dark and there was a fair amount of Moral Majority blowback, so it got yanked barely halfway through the run. At the time I worked nights and so I was taping each ep to watch when I got home, so I saved those four episodes and a couple of years later I managed to trade for bootlegs of the final unaired four episodes. I treasured those tapes, because I never thought Profit would be given a DVD release. Boy, was I glad to be wrong. :v:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Started on Seinfeld a couple of days ago.
I caught the odd episode when it aired, but I never followed it consistently.

You can feel that it took some time before it hit it's stride, but from early on of the second season, it's pretty, pretty, pretty good and I find that it has aged extremely well so far.

The DVD extras are also good with plenty of commentaries (some separate from the episodes)and a special about how the series got started and developed ("How it happened").

The only thing is, I never particularly liked Jerry himself, neither his character nor his comedy bits, but the rest of the main cast easily makes up for it.

I am also looking forward to tons of guest stars who had their big break since being on the show.

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

mcbexx posted:

Started on Seinfeld a couple of days ago.
I caught the odd episode when it aired, but I never followed it consistently.

You can feel that it took some time before it hit it's stride, but from early on of the second season, it's pretty, pretty, pretty good and I find that it has aged extremely well so far.

The DVD extras are also good with plenty of commentaries (some separate from the episodes)and a special about how the series got started and developed ("How it happened").

The only thing is, I never particularly liked Jerry himself, neither his character nor his comedy bits, but the rest of the main cast easily makes up for it.

I am also looking forward to tons of guest stars who had their big break since being on the show.

I bought Seinfeld when it was on sale at Best Buy back in June, and now, with only two disks left to go, I can say that there were apparently only five episodes that I had NEVER seen when it was in syndication.

I blew through the entire first disk of season two of Pushing Daisies yesterday, and I love this show to death. It's the first show since Lost where I got the first disk from Netflix, watched one episode, and then immediately hopped online to buy the available seasons.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

mcbexx posted:

My favourite is a near unrecognizable Jeremy Piven.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!
Just blew through Freaks and Geeks in less than 48 hours. Had seen a few random episodes when it was on but hardly remembered it.

Certainly forgot about the big names who appeared in it. Rogen, Segal, Franco, Schwartzman, and even Ben Stiller

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

YouҀ™re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Leviathan posted:

It also has the best theme song ever.

Halliwax
Feb 26, 2009
I blue through all 3 seasons of Arrested Development last week...what a great show. I plan on getting at least 2 seasons of Entourage in before Classes start back.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I got 3 seasons of The IT Crowd from a friend and enjoyed the first episode pretty much. How consistently funny is it, and would it make a good marathon show or does it tend to wear thin after too much at once?

Also saw 3/5 of the Torchwood miniseries and hoping to get to the rest this week. It's loads better than some of the early writing; less of the deliberate cheese and more high budget action.

Leviathan posted:

Bonk I swear you are the king of the Lost apologists. Jack could take a steaming dump on Locke's chest and you'd be eating it up as preplanned.
Uh, blow me? I think the Bai Ling episode sucked too, and that Kate is boring, and that Jack's been a wet blanket all season. I just tend not to talk about things that suck as much as things that I like so I don't come off as a negative pissburger.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 15, 2009

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts
NCIS
At home we've got the tradition of devouring an entire show run we've never seen before, in a week or so in the summer (Prison Break, Lost, The Wire...), but it's the first time we're trying with a formulaic show and goddamm they get boring. It's fun and everything, but it looks like they're struggling so their characters don't make any evolution at all... in six loving years!

Let's see if we can get to the end of it!

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

I'm working my way through Oz (Just finished 4th season).

The amount of male nudity and rape :huh: can be disturbing at time, but otherwise it's a pretty good show.

The amount of freedom the Prisoners seem to have is insane though, no wonder people keep "mysteriously" dying.

But I love the way Tobias has changed over the seasons along with Hughes.

I just hope Tobias gets out alive. :ohdear:

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Puck42 posted:

The amount of male nudity and rape :huh: can be disturbing at time, but otherwise it's a pretty good show.

It's an HBO show about prison, did you expect gumdrops and rainbows?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Oz. It's kind of like Twin Peaks in the sense that it's a very sharp play on hammy soap opera storytelling. The show doesn't get nearly as much love as HBO's top-tier stuff like The Wire and The Sopranos, and rightfully so. But if you accept it as satire, it blossoms into a much prettier flower.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

I love Oz. It's kind of like Twin Peaks in the sense that it's a very sharp play on hammy soap opera storytelling. The show doesn't get nearly as much love as HBO's top-tier stuff like The Wire and The Sopranos, and rightfully so. But if you accept it as satire, it blossoms into a much prettier flower.

It's a fun show, especially the first time through (TOBY!!!!), but it gets weirder upon following viewings. A printing operation? A call center? Augustus' escape? Luke Perry's character's death and "reappearance"?

Omar White and McManus = :glomp:

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Just binged through the first season of Durham County. Really solid detective series- I'm always in awe of the quality acting and cinematography of good Canadian or BBC shows. Not sure if there's a legitimate way to watch it unless you're in Canada, but it was good enough to draw my attention for 5 straight hours (the first season is 6 eps).

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Dexter.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

kami posted:

Just blew through Freaks and Geeks in less than 48 hours. Had seen a few random episodes when it was on but hardly remembered it.

Certainly forgot about the big names who appeared in it. Rogen, Segal, Franco, Schwartzman, and even Ben Stiller

I burned through it a few weeks ago. Great show that nobody watched.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Watching Entourage between classes. It's nice to have a show with short (30 minutes) episodes to go back to when you're bored.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Is Homicide watchable after seeing all of The Wire, or does it suck too much in comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Is Homicide watchable after seeing all of The Wire, or does it suck too much in comparison?

It doesn't suck too much, but don't go in expecting The Wire version 0.5. It's still a network show from the mid-90's and it shows.

The early seasons are better than the later ones and some individual episodes still stand out as brilliant, but overall, after having seen The Wire, I can't call it anything other than "watchable". It's not great, it's not poo poo, it's just there. Good for it's time, but no longer amazing or brilliant.

Others may disagree, and they're certainly entitled to their opinion, but for me, it just looks like a shallow imitation.