Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
One of my bunnies does this weird hiccuping thing. Anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Trent Lott in 08 posted:

There seems to have been no damage done since a minor scuffle this morning, and the instigator was seen grooming the whipping-girl, so I suppose we'll stop imagining horrible scenarios and just keep an eye on things for awhile. Their fight last night was really something though, I have to say. I had no idea rabbits could be so violent.

When I first got Frith their fights were epic. Latching onto each other with their teeth and on their sides kicking each other with their hind legs, flipping each other over, etc. and this was all in the 0.8 seconds until I got in between them. Sometimes you forget that rabbits are known for SPEED until they move faster than you can blink.

I'm sure I have lots of scars from that time.

Recently my buns had stopped fighting and just tolerated each others' presence, but they're back to fighting again, which upsets me. :(

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

CatholicSoulTrain posted:

We love petfinder. The problem we're having is that in our wonderful state of MS, there are few to no rabbit rescues. Even the people who list on petfinder are a good 2-3+ hours away. Some of the local shelters will take in buns every now and then, but it's random and you never really know when that's going to happen.

To add to this, the only real rescue within feasible distance is- guess who? AlabamaEARS. It's mostly frustrating because it's going to take longer to find one than I'd hoped.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

skystream92 posted:

One of my bunnies does this weird hiccuping thing. Anyone else?

Ours does occasionally. Pretty sure it's normal and nothing to worry about unless it happens very frequently.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Hey all! More dirty bunny feet questions...

Our bunny has really dirty feet lately. We figured out that it ocurred because we just moved, and were without AC for a little while, causing him to be inactive in the heat. Because his favourite place to chill is his litterbox, he was spending way too much time on his litter.

Still, we were concerned, so we checked with the vet. His feet are fine and there are no sores - they just look gross, very disgustingly brown looking. She suggested cleaning them off with baby wipes then gently blow-drying them, but we haven't been able to make much of a difference that way. He cleans then, but if we leave it to him it'll take months before the feet get back to looking less gross, just because of how dark they stained. Any other recommendations for how to clean feets?

For reference, He has two boxes and we keep them pretty clean. He's just a weird bun who insists on sitting around on his poops. He's been more active since we got AC, so we don't think this will occur again.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

For reference, He has two boxes and we keep them pretty clean. He's just a weird bun who insists on sitting around on his poops. He's been more active since we got AC, so we don't think this will occur again.

Both my buns take naps in their litter boxes. It's so gross.

On that note: I'm incredibly frustrated with bonding over a year (!!!) that I'm almost beginning to consider rehoming one of them. It's frustrating having to deal with separate play times, making sure they don't fight, dates that end in them ignoring each other or fighting (the latter ends in me getting hurt because I never learn, and therefore always forget to have the oven mitts on). I know it's partly my fault because I got discouraged with their bonding process and haven't been 100% into it either but I really feel like Zen will never deal with another bunny and Frith has gotten snippy because of it. I don't want to ruin his sweet personality. And I hate how sulky one bunny looks when the other one is having play time, and how they taunt each other when one is out, etc.

Any comments on what to do: words of encouragement, similar situations, or even suggestions on how to best rehome Frith to someone who will love him (even though it will break my heart).

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Hey all! More dirty bunny feet questions...

Baby wipes will help, it just takes some time. I use generic unscented, aloe and alcohol free wipes from Target because they're cheap. I also wipe off the feet with a damp cloth before drying them because I'm paranoid about wipes. There was a period where Debbie would lay in her litter box for the better part of a day, but cleaning her feet twice daily really helped whiten her feet back up.

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew
After seeing some of the great cube designs I remembered I had a few...then I got a few more...The bunny cage turned into a bunny condo.

Before

After

I'm also thinking of rescuing a third bunny to share this enormous bunny housing.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

bitprophet posted:

Ours does occasionally. Pretty sure it's normal and nothing to worry about unless it happens very frequently.

Mine never does this :confused:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

angelicism posted:

Any comments on what to do: words of encouragement, similar situations, or even suggestions on how to best rehome Frith to someone who will love him (even though it will break my heart).

It can take such a huge amount of time, but the end result is so worth it. I had two buns who had both been singles their entire lives (6+ years). It took me over a year to bond them, and this was with rigorous supervised bonding sessions. Neither had any idea how to read the other bunny's body language so it was so frustrating watching them TRY to become friends and then snapping over something so insignificant.

When they finally bonded, the cuddles were incredible. :3: To anthropomorphize, they honestly look happier. Instead of constantly begging for my attention, they're now always cuddled up together, and only get up to see me once I'm quite close to the pen. They still come to me for scritches but not with the same desperate loneliness.

However, it does happen that some rabbits just can't be bonded. I would recommend finding a very good rabbit rescue to evaluate them for you, possibly to do the bonding for you. Where are you located again? I can see if I know anyone in your area. If it does not work out at all, you'll still want a rabbit rescue for Frith.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Maybe a longshot, but is there anyone here from the Baltimore area and know of a good vet for rabbits? I recently moved to Baltimore from DC and I need to find a local vet...it's checkup time anyways

There's nothing close on the list provided by rabbit.org

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Levitate posted:

Maybe a longshot, but is there anyone here from the Baltimore area and know of a good vet for rabbits? I recently moved to Baltimore from DC and I need to find a local vet...it's checkup time anyways

There's nothing close on the list provided by rabbit.org

Try this: http://rabbitsinthehouse.org/?page_id=47. I have no idea how close any of these guys are to you, but it may give you a starting point. :) You can also contact that branch to ask if there's anyone they specifically recommend as being exceptional.

Edit: also http://www.friendsofrabbits.org/vets.htm

alucinor fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 14, 2009

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Thanks :) at least one of those is a relatively close drive to where I live

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Angelicism, i feel your pain. We ended up having to rehome Taterbug because of the way Euler acted towards him. Besides the failed bonding sessions, even when he was out for his playtime, Euler would stand at the end of her cage, growl and start biting the cage if he got too close. Finally it came to a head in a bonding session when Euler and Tater got into a bunnyspin and Euler bit Tater's ear and left a pretty fierce mark.

What it came down to is that I couldn't bear to put sweet Tater through the bonding, and I missed seeing Euler happy and hoppy. So I ended up rehoming Tater with a friend of mine who had always had outdoor rabbits but was excited to have an indoor rabbit.

I even got to visit him a couple weeks ago and he seems very happy in his new home.

It was very difficult to come to the decision and carry on though, Taterbug was the sweetest cuddliest bunny in the world and I was very sad to see him go. That said, life with two bonded bunnies is infinitely easier.

Off topic: Euler bit me on the butt today! It was my fault, I was in her way and ignored the warning nudge I got.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

alucinor posted:

It can take such a huge amount of time, but the end result is so worth it. I had two buns who had both been singles their entire lives (6+ years). It took me over a year to bond them, and this was with rigorous supervised bonding sessions. Neither had any idea how to read the other bunny's body language so it was so frustrating watching them TRY to become friends and then snapping over something so insignificant.

When they finally bonded, the cuddles were incredible. :3: To anthropomorphize, they honestly look happier. Instead of constantly begging for my attention, they're now always cuddled up together, and only get up to see me once I'm quite close to the pen. They still come to me for scritches but not with the same desperate loneliness.

However, it does happen that some rabbits just can't be bonded. I would recommend finding a very good rabbit rescue to evaluate them for you, possibly to do the bonding for you. Where are you located again? I can see if I know anyone in your area. If it does not work out at all, you'll still want a rabbit rescue for Frith.

I've been looking forward to the day when I would get to see two bunnies cuddling but I really don't think it's in Zen's personality. I hate hate hate the idea of rehoming Frith because I got him from a shelter and I wanted to be his rescuer. But I honestly think both their qualities of life have diminished since I've tried bonding them.

I'm in Manhattan, and I've lost the number of the shelter I got Frith from although I could probably find it pretty easily. I also hate admitting defeat. :/

It used to be that Frith was perfectly happy being submissive and it was just Zen having to get used to him, but now Frith has gotten more aggressive towards Zen, which I suspect is in a large part due to how bitchy she has been to him. Also, neither can be bribed with food to groom the other -- Zen can't be bribed by food at all, and Frith not enough to lick her.

Scooty Puff Jr.: If I had a friend who wanted a bun that would be amazing but I'm afraid I'd have to rehome Frith with someone through a shelter and I'd never get to see him again. :( Frith is a huge sweetheart and wants nothing more than to spoon me and get pet when I'm lying in bed reading (it makes turning pages hard :D ). And he seems so happy when it's just him and me. :sigh:

I really want so badly for this to turn out for the best but I'm kind of at a loss at this point.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Megalodon posted:

I know that this post is years old, but I was wondering if anybody knows where I could find this wire cube organizer, and if it's better than buying a pen at the pet store. I assume Home Depot would carry something like this?

Just wanted to add that I've seen these cubes in a number of places. Target does carry them but as previously mentioned, the size of the internal squares on the grids are only sufficient on about 9 panels per box of theirs, so buyer beware. I have seen them for sale at Costco with only the correct size grid, but this may be based on the location. They are also sold at Walmart (16 panels for $25). It is much more cost-efficient than buying one from a pet store, especially since you will have a hard time finding a large enough cage at a pet store and would probably have to order one from a cage manufacturer. The cube cages are definitely the way to go. If you look up "c&c cages" on Google, you can find out more about these kind of cages
(cube and coroplast).

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew
I went by the SPCA today to adopt a bunny and I found this adorable mini lop and right above him there was a dutch. I was just going to adopt the mini lop but then the dutch started doing a dance that made me :3 so I had to adopt him too. I got them home and introduced the bunnies one at a time and they all took to each other hastily. They had a huge gay bunny orgy -_- for about 10 minutes then just cuddled next to each other. I think I'm really lucky about the whole bonding thing...all my bunnies just loved each other from the get go. Here's a picture of them right after the orgy.

(left)Tron
(top)Apollo
(bottom)Remmy
(right)Spartacus

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
If I want an open-top pen for my rabbit, what is the minimum height? If I make it two grids high, will that be enough?

edit:

Also, any tips for getting a new rabbit? As mentioned above, mine recently died (:() and while I'm not trying to replace her, there are lots of rabbits in need of rescue and I feel like I owe it to her use what I've learned to help another bunny.

blue_kameleon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 15, 2009

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

blue_kameleon posted:

If I want an open-top pen for my rabbit, what is the minimum height? If I make it two grids high, will that be enough?

I think it depends on the rabbit... our pen is 25.5" tall and open-topped. Eowyn hasn't tried escaping (yet) and Godewyn no longer tries to escape. However, when he was younger (from about 4 months to 10 months or so) he did escape a few times (and then couldn't figure out how to get back in) by jumping over the top (he was able to get his back feet into the grid halfway up and launch himself the rest of the way over). As he got older though he gave up on such frivolous activities (he is probably too lazy now, or just forgot that he was able to do that).

In the living room for exercise time we have a fence set up that is only one grid high, and neither of them try to jump out. If they escape it's because they have either knocked it over or found a spot that isn't ziptied to push open, but those wouldn't be issues for a pen.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

blue_kameleon posted:

edit:

Also, any tips for getting a new rabbit? As mentioned above, mine recently died (:() and while I'm not trying to replace her, there are lots of rabbits in need of rescue and I feel like I owe it to her use what I've learned to help another bunny.

I remember you.

Unless you are no longer allergic to rabbits, have moved to a different apartment complex where pets are allowed, and now have money to take your pets to the vet and get proper housing and supplies, you may want to hold off. I am truly sorry about your other rabbit. Based on the last photo you posted, however, it looks like you were still keeping her in the same cage that we all told you was very dangerous. If your circumstances have not changed since your initial posting in this thread, you do not have a proper situation for a rabbit.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
this morning I woke up to Paterson eating the carpet and Bitsy eating my paystub out of my purse. Um. Hi. Not the best way to wake up.
anyway, I got all pissy and told them I was going to sell them but then Bitsy got all excited because I was awake and started racing in and out of her cage and binkying like nuts. Goodies!

one of the things that annoys me the most about my rabbits is how fast I go from being so annoyed to so happy with them.

ps. I would never sell them but it is a tempting threat sometimes.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

luscious posted:

ps. I would never sell them but it is a tempting threat sometimes.

When Zen chews on my clothes I tell her they cost more than she did. :)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

When Zen chews on my clothes I tell her they cost more than she did. :)

the amount of money that I have spent on fixing and replacing things is exponentially higher than the cost of both of my devil children.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

roxareinmyhead posted:

I think I about died of jealousy right now.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

candeh posted:

I remember you.

Unless you are no longer allergic to rabbits, have moved to a different apartment complex where pets are allowed, and now have money to take your pets to the vet and get proper housing and supplies, you may want to hold off. I am truly sorry about your other rabbit. Based on the last photo you posted, however, it looks like you were still keeping her in the same cage that we all told you was very dangerous. If your circumstances have not changed since your initial posting in this thread, you do not have a proper situation for a rabbit.

We haven't moved and I'm still allergic, but I've built a C&C cage, our financial situation has recovered and as long as I wash my hands after handling I'm fine. Also, we've discovered that our apartment is secretly pet-friendly (our friends got busted with a kitten). If your animal doesn't smell or make noise, then the landlords don't care. If you check the posts where my rabbit died, you'll see that it was as a result of spaying :( so we had been taking her to the vet.

The picture from before was very old, we didn't take her picture very often.

blue_kameleon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 16, 2009

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew
I had to take Spartacus to the ER today :( When I woke up I went to the bunny house and saw him laying in the top floor so i went to pet him and noticed his paw was red. Apparently he had just caught his claw on something and it was pretty messy. So I cleaned him up and took him to the ER...didn't even have him for 24 hours and he's already my most expensive bunny. But since the SPCA didn't have any information on him I did find out a few things I need to take care of. Apparently his previous owners had horrible living conditions for him because he has these sore on his butt, probably from his place never being cleaned or something :( It makes me sad to hear how people treat animals sometimes. And he has an enormous bruise on his right thigh. So I'm keeping him separated from the other bunnies for now so as not to agitate anything until he's all better. But at least he looks happy now and he's hopping around and eating. It feels really good to rescue bunnies, knowing that their lives have drastically improved just by bringing them home and loving them :)

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew

angelicism posted:

I think I about died of jealousy right now.

Now, not only have you seen 2 bunnies cuddle, but 4!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Oh god flies. I'm not worried about flystrike, but how the hell do I eradicate small fruit-flies? So far I've removed all the old hay and boxes and toys and vacuumed everything twice, scrubbed the boxes, and then checked the rabbits over. Am I missing anything? I can only assume something hitched a ride on the veggies I pulled out of the garden earlier in the week.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

roxareinmyhead posted:

Now, not only have you seen 2 bunnies cuddle, but 4!

I wish I could get two more but I don't think Portia and Ender would be happy with two more. It was hard enough to bond them.

angelicism, I recommend getting in touch with a rabbit rescue as well and seeing if someone can help you with the bonding. I know how you feel, I rehomed a small female a few years ago because Ender just endlessly beat her up and I didn't think it was going to work. The organization I got her from was really nice about it and took her back. Since you're not desperate to get rid of one of them, maybe you could get on a waiting list for a rescue or something.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

sometimes I think that Paterson is kinda smart. Then I come across this picture and realise that he might be curious but he's not smart.

oh hi guys! I can TRANCE MYSELF BY ROLLING OFF THE CARPET.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

BITCH, I'D RATHER KEEP MY PTSD THAN HAVE YOUR BITCH ASS TRY TO HELP

DUNSON'D
Here's a picture of my new little guy, Bear. I decided to change the name from Mufasa. It just didn't fit, but Bear definitely does. :3:

Megalodon fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 17, 2009

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Waffleimages is down and Imageshack won't work, so here's the attached image. :)

Edit: This won't work either. :( Nevermind.

Edit 2: Figured it out. Here we go. :)

Megalodon fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 17, 2009

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Megalodon posted:

Waffleimages is down and Imageshack won't work, so here's the attached image. :)

Edit: This won't work either. :( Nevermind.

Edit 2: Figured it out. Here we go. :)

tranced ribbits are gods gift to bunny owners. It kinda makes up for how amazingly annoying they can be!

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D

roxareinmyhead posted:

After seeing some of the great cube designs I remembered I had a few...then I got a few more...The bunny cage turned into a bunny condo.

Before

After

I'm also thinking of rescuing a third bunny to share this enormous bunny housing.

This looks awesome, and I'd like to add to my cage. Where did you get these? Everyone has said Target but I went and found nothing. :(

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D

luscious posted:

tranced ribbits are gods gift to bunny owners. It kinda makes up for how amazingly annoying they can be!

:3: It really is the cutest thing ever. I've also noticed that Bear is a bit of a drooler. He was dribbling all over the place at the time the picture was taken.

Edit: After posting this I decided to google "rabbit drooling" and it came up with dental issues. He only does it when he seems to be a bit overheated, but I want to make sure it's not something I should be concerned about. He was in the car at the time, and while the a/c was on, it's South Florida and tends to be deathly hot anyway. He's only ever drooled after being outside, though. Is this something I should be worried about? He's going to be seeing a vet soon to get fixed, so I'll definitely make sure to bring it up then, but want to make sure this isn't an emergency.

Megalodon fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 17, 2009

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew

Megalodon posted:

This looks awesome, and I'd like to add to my cage. Where did you get these? Everyone has said Target but I went and found nothing. :(

I got them at target for like $16/box. Like everyone said though, it has two different sized squares. As long as you cover them with carpet or cardboard or something then it really doesn't matter. Also, if you do this you're gonna need LOTS of zip ties. If you're going to leave any of the squares bare as a window or something then make sure you use the smaller holed panels.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

So the other day I was at the vet and read some article on how bunny trancing isn't as cute as it seems, I looked and found more info on how it's more of a prey animal paralysis than relaxation. http://www.mnhouserabbit.org/care/trancing.html

Any of the more rabbit knowledgeable people have an opinion on that? I used to regret not being able to do it with my rabbit but now I think I'm glad I never really tried.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Megalodon posted:

It took us quite a while to actually locate them in the store, so they could just be craftily hiding... If not, you can also buy them online from Target (and Walmart and KMart), but they are more unfortunately more expensive.

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew
I had to take Spartacus to the ER again tonight :( Poor bunny somehow tore his scrotum open while I was working. The vet thinks he might've been trying to get at his sores. And i was going to get him and Remmy neutered on monday too :( Well, at least Spartacus is getting neutered. I got home and got Spartacus to check on his sores and I saw the testicle hanging out and I was like WTF!? and I rushed to the ER. I'm really sad for Spartacus now...and really broke because of him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

roxareinmyhead posted:

I had to take Spartacus to the ER again tonight :( Poor bunny somehow tore his scrotum open while I was working. The vet thinks he might've been trying to get at his sores. And i was going to get him and Remmy neutered on monday too :( Well, at least Spartacus is getting neutered. I got home and got Spartacus to check on his sores and I saw the testicle hanging out and I was like WTF!? and I rushed to the ER. I'm really sad for Spartacus now...and really broke because of him too.

Ug I'm sorry, they're expensive little buttheads when something goes wrong. Definately still try to get the rest fixed on schedule :)