Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mierdaan posted:

Is there some sort of well-known stability problem with 7 64-bit and Office 2007? Both on 7100 and 7600 now, Word and Excel like to crash
  • When I open them
  • When I click on anything in the app
  • When I save a document
  • When I close the app
Office 2007 is updated to SP2, completely fresh install, no addins... can't see what I could be doing wrong here.
Mine works fine. When I went from Vista to 7 RC, it even repaired itself, and it's been fine ever since, including the Office updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Tagra posted:

I had nothing but trouble with RealTek drivers so I just let Windows install whatever the hell it thought was best, which was some generic HD audio driver, and I've been happiest with that so far. My only issue is that my microphone volume is extremely low even at max and micboost on, but it was like that WITH the drivers too.

The one Windows auto-installs works "ok", but I don't have full control over all the sound devices.

Like, I'd have my Rear Line Out, and I like have a separate Front Line Out. I did that because it made my old headset (headphone+mic) let me hear WoW and Ventrilo, and I'd leave the game sounds on the main speakers.

I don't recall Windows' built-in driver giving me all the control over the sound like RealTek's drivers. Of course, I'd get crackle sounds with RealTek's drivers.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to get XP Mode working, but it keeps giving me this error message during setup:

quote:

'Windows XP Mode' could not be started because hardware-assisted virtualization is disabled. Please enable hardware virtualization in the BIOS settings and try again. If hardware virtualization settings is already enabled, you may have to disable Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) setting in BIOS or update the system BIOS.

I have checked and double checked that hardware virtualizations is enabled, and it is. There is no TXT setting in my BIOS, and it's fully up-to-date. Some sites suggested disabling virtualization, booting back into Windows, then cold booting again and re-enabling it. I tried that, but the error persists. I'm on a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P board. Has anyone else run into this problem?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fleedar posted:

I'm trying to get XP Mode working, but it keeps giving me this error message during setup:

I have checked and double checked that hardware virtualizations is enabled, and it is. There is no TXT setting in my BIOS, and it's fully up-to-date. Some sites suggested disabling virtualization, booting back into Windows, then cold booting again and re-enabling it. I tried that, but the error persists. I'm on a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P board. Has anyone else run into this problem?

YOu sure your CPU has the right VT?

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

YOu sure your CPU has the right VT?

Yeah, it's an i7 so it should be good to go.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Xenomorph posted:

The one Windows auto-installs works "ok", but I don't have full control over all the sound devices.

Like, I'd have my Rear Line Out, and I like have a separate Front Line Out. I did that because it made my old headset (headphone+mic) let me hear WoW and Ventrilo, and I'd leave the game sounds on the main speakers.

I don't recall Windows' built-in driver giving me all the control over the sound like RealTek's drivers. Of course, I'd get crackle sounds with RealTek's drivers.

Yeah you lose a lot of the fancy controls, but for me I never used anything but lovely speakers and the occasional headphones, so it was sufficient... it bothered me that the RealTek drivers greyed out all the controls when I was attempting to boost the volume on the mic, too.

Since you use a RealTek with WoW, have you ever had problems with Vent? Using the RealTek drivers I had terrible problems with people complaining my voice came across vent with a "robot" mechanized sound and they couldn't understand anything. With the default drivers I only have an issue where if the volume is set too loud, it fades into static on their end, and since my volume is so low by default everyone is cranking it up on me and then bitching about static.

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005

pbow9 posted:

Windows 7 Professional is now showing on MSDNAA.

Yeah, I just got mine from them.

Every uni student should check
http://www.msdnaa.net/search/schoolsearch.aspx

to see if they can get it through there before shelling out the $$$.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So the OP has a link for that UK 50% off deal, is there currently a similar deal for us Americans? Basically I would like to get a pre-order in and my key as soon as possible so I can upgrade my RC (in hopes that RTM fixes a few things that are bothering me).

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

So the OP has a link for that UK 50% off deal, is there currently a similar deal for us Americans? Basically I would like to get a pre-order in and my key as soon as possible so I can upgrade my RC (in hopes that RTM fixes a few things that are bothering me).

Pretty sure the American version ended before the UK one started.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
So now that I'm on RTM, I'm kind of disappointed to see that the multiple monitor stuff was never improved: there's still no ultramon-esque taskbar for the second monitor, and dragging something toward the side of one monitor where it borders another doesn't activate the "resize zone" feature.

Are there any workarounds or utilities for either of these? Is everyone just using ultramon still?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Lakitu7 posted:

So now that I'm on RTM, I'm kind of disappointed to see that the multiple monitor stuff was never improved: there's still no ultramon-esque taskbar for the second monitor, and dragging something toward the side of one monitor where it borders another doesn't activate the "resize zone" feature.

Are there any workarounds or utilities for either of these? Is everyone just using ultramon still?

I actually stopped using Ultramon on Windows 7. As much as I loved having two taskbars in every Windows prior the new taskbar is so much more space efficient that I find having two of them a waste of real estate. I spent about 2-3 days converting to the new taskbar & adjusting to only having one of them. Once I became used to it I quite like it.

Ultramon works fine Win7 now afaik, I think the big problems have been ironed out.

da sponge
May 24, 2004

..and you've eaten your pen. simply stunning.
I've run into a minor annoyance with the start menu search.

According to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...peandRelevance

quote:

After these results are returned and duplicates removed, the most frequently used (MFU) bias is applied and results are sorted by relevance. The topmost item is given mouse focus, so a user can quickly type a search and press the Enter key to open the top result.

This only seems to apply to results categorized as 'Programs' or 'Control Panel'. If I run a search and it returns only Document (a shortcut, a script I want to execute), 'See More Results' at the bottom has mouse focus. If I alter the query such that Programs or Control Panel item is returned, the topmost result gets mouse focus. Does anyone know why this is? I understand giving Programs focus in search results with multiple types, but why not give the MRU document mouse focus in a document with document-only results? It screws up executing scripts/launching rdp files/opening documents directly. The language on MSDN states 'press the Enter key to open the top result'. Not press the Enter key to open the top result when it happens to be a Program or Control Panel item, never a document. Opening a document (which you can do by hitting tab to go to the top, then enter) is functionally the same as opening a program.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I like http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Is it just me or is making a folder shared on the window s7 incredibly difficult? I just want to watch top gear episodes on my ps3 and theyre all in C:\videos\top gear

I've shared the folder, but all my ps3 sees is some random wildlife sample that came with windows 7.

edit: well i guess windows media player wants to see the file before it shares it or something? I tried adding an .mkv to windows media player to play on my Egreat M34A and the egreat cant view it. awesome.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 14, 2009

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't you have to set it up in media center?

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
This made my day. IEEE Student Membership is only $15 right now and it includes MSDNAA access for all programs. This is great if your school doesn't participate in MSDNAA (mine doesn't).

http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/students/branchresources/microsoftofferstudents.html

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

I also switched from ultramon to this, and I also only use one taskbar now since it's so much better.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

GreenNight posted:

Don't you have to set it up in media center?

Im not sure what you mean, why would i set up media center so i can stream movies to my ps3? in windows XP all i did if i remember correctly is just shared the folder...

I just have windows media player "looking" at the folder, i guess that works.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 14, 2009

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

hannibal posted:

I also switched from ultramon to this, and I also only use one taskbar now since it's so much better.

The beta versions are even better than the released 3.0.6

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Lakitu7 posted:

win+left/right does the half-sizing, as does up for maximizing and down/right/left to bring it back to normal. I put my taskbar vertically between the two monitors and it works just fine, always easy to reach.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fleedar posted:

Did you completely power off the system after turning virtualization on (not just a reboot)?

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Every uni student should check
http://www.msdnaa.net/search/schoolsearch.aspx

to see if they can get it through there before shelling out the $$$.

My school offers Windows 7 RC, not the RTM version. :witch:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Omegaslast posted:

Im not sure what you mean, why would i set up media center so i can stream movies to my ps3? in windows XP all i did if i remember correctly is just shared the folder...

I just have windows media player "looking" at the folder, i guess that works.
You had to have Media Player watching the folder in XP too. It's not accessing SMB shares, it's accessing Windows Media Player's DLNA server.

nightnz
Feb 27, 2009

selmoatse posted:

My school offers Windows 7 RC, not the RTM version. :witch:
Same with us. I think we either have to wait for our tech guy to add it, or he mentioned it'll be there on the 17th (We're in NZ). Something like that anyway.. *shrug*

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

LonelyKing posted:

Did you completely power off the system after turning virtualization on (not just a reboot)?

I did, but it still didn't work.

Except just now when I decided to run it one more time on a whim, and everything worked fine. :confused:

I have no idea what the problem was or what fixed it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Where can I find Windows 7 drivers for a linksys WMP54GV4? I've tried the ones from the website and they don't work. It's the only thing not working, and incredibly frustrating since I can't place my computer in the room with the router, nor can I run wires all the way upstairs.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I'm having a rare but odd problem that I'm curious to see if anyone else has seen.

Twice in the past month my machine blue-screened with a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. My system checks out on any tests, so it's probably just a beta driver crashing the kernel somehow. That's okay, and I don't care about diagnosing that.

But the issue is that after the crash, the OS won't load properly. After putting in my password, it will just sit endlessly logging into Windows with hardly any drive activity. I can reboot it, but the problem persists.

The fix? Boot into safe mode. After I do that, it will start up normally.

Weird as hell. Anyone else seen that?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

Where can I find Windows 7 drivers for a linksys WMP54GV4? I've tried the ones from the website and they don't work. It's the only thing not working, and incredibly frustrating since I can't place my computer in the room with the router, nor can I run wires all the way upstairs.

You're loving lucky I peeped in on this thread and had recently upgraded a HTPC in a remote bedroom with one of these cards.

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html

Grab the RT2500 driver for Vista. Ralink makes the card for Linksys. A little fiddly but the driver works solidly. I was able to stream Batman Dark Knight h.264 encoded - a 16GB sized file with nary a dropped frame.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

R-Type posted:

You're loving lucky I peeped in on this thread and had recently upgraded a HTPC in a remote bedroom with one of these cards.

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html

Grab the RT2500 driver for Vista. Ralink makes the card for Linksys. A little fiddly but the driver works solidly. I was able to stream Batman Dark Knight h.264 encoded - a 16GB sized file with nary a dropped frame.

Hmm..it doesn't seem like this is working for my 64 bit version of windows...I installed the drivers and still got nothing. Maybe I'm loving something up on my end, though. I'd prefer not going out and spending money when I have a perfectly viable card, but it seems like that's what I'm going to have to do.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

After about a week of getting Windows 7 RTM up and running, including a corrupted install and a maddening expedition for decent sound drivers, I quite enjoy it like everyone else.

But its leanness does surprise you sometimes.

Only six screensavers, for example? And just crude ones?

It's not a big thing, of course, but superficial things like it -- and, say, a short tutorial of the new taskbar for casual users -- go a long way. And the OS doesn't feel as polished as I expected because of it.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hmm..it doesn't seem like this is working for my 64 bit version of windows...I installed the drivers and still got nothing. Maybe I'm loving something up on my end, though. I'd prefer not going out and spending money when I have a perfectly viable card, but it seems like that's what I'm going to have to do.

Hey, I'm a loving idiot.

Try the http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/d....0.9.0_Free.exe

set and see how you fare.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fawkes posted:

It's not a big thing, of course, but superficial things like it -- and, say, a short tutorial of the new taskbar for casual users -- go a long way. And the OS doesn't feel as polished as I expected because of it.

I honestly can't imagine anyone not being able to figure out how the taskbar works after about 90 seconds.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

R-Type posted:

Hey, I'm a loving idiot.

Try the http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/d....0.9.0_Free.exe

set and see how you fare.

Still nothing :( I installed the drivers only, and it still doesn't detect it. When I try manually selecting drivers for it, it gives me a Code 10 cannot start device error.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I honestly can't imagine anyone not being able to figure out how the taskbar works after about 90 seconds.

While it's obviously easy to learn for us in this forum, I wouldn't underestimate others, especially people's relatives who are comfortable with old ways, to long for a quick included lesson, even for something as simple as no-your-programs-didn't-disappear tool-tips.

Curious, I looked at the "Getting Started" menu when you first load up Windows 7 and wondered why they didn't include something along these lines there.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Fawkes posted:

The extra crap that used to come with Windows used to annoy me, and back when I had a 800MB drive I'd go through after the installation and delete whatever crap I could (sounds, backgrounds, screen savers). This was before most people were online, though, so I could understand why they included this 'value added' stuff.

With the size of hard disks nowadays it really doesn't matter, but now that most people are online and can download whatever extras they want they don't need to pad the default installation as much.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

deep square leg posted:

The extra crap that used to come with Windows used to annoy me, and back when I had a 800MB drive I'd go through after the installation and delete whatever crap I could (sounds, backgrounds, screen savers). This was before most people were online, though, so I could understand why they included this 'value added' stuff.

With the size of hard disks nowadays it really doesn't matter, but now that most people are online and can download whatever extras they want they don't need to pad the default installation as much.

I'm the opposite. I love all the little superflicious things that used to be in Windows, like DreamScene in Vista Ultimate, neat desktop themes, and especially the Plus! packs of yore in the Windows 9x days.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

deep square leg posted:

The problem is if MS includes all these things then people assume the OS is bloated because it takes more space than XP did. Vista had a lot of apps included with it and people would always complain it was so bloated. I don't really understand the mentality when you can get a terrabyte for less than $100.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
That was one of my favorite weird nerd sperge things to do with new versions of windows. I kind of liked messing around with the undercarrages of like.. windows 2000 when I first changed over to it from 98. Even 95 - 98 had some extra crap to fiddle with.

Win 7 is just surprisingly self automated and theres really not a lot of fluff to tinker with as much as before. However I do like not having to gently caress around with random driver packages after installs, or using hack methods to install simple things like SATA drivers that I had to do on a XP reinstall. I think all of my stuff save for my X-Fi was supported with the out-of-box drivers.

I do get a weird black screen with just a cursor on a fresh install with the RC. I don't think the stock microsoft nvidia drivers play nicely with my 7950 GX2, but then again I've had a bunch of weird problems with this card (cards?) in XP too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Trying to use 7 as a serious desktop machine instead of an HTPC for the first time.

Christ, the email client doesn't come with the system anymore? I opted to download just that and something that sounds like Windows iPhoto (but will probably be less awesome) and it seems to download a million friendly components as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Fawkes posted:

This bugs the hell out of me, especially when xscreensaver provides me with endless entertainment on 'nix. Why the hell does windows have poo poo for screensavers?