Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Tamsin Greig was good as Lamia in Neverwhere.

She doesn't get enough recognition.

Just watch her in Green Wing, or Black Books even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Not anything about his books, but Terry Pratchett spoke recently about a House of Lords decision on assisted suicide, tying his Alzheimer's into the discussion. It's pretty sad. :smith:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1203622/Ill-die-endgame-says-Terry-Pratchett-law-allow-assisted-suicides-UK.html

Jesus Christ

quote:

I live in hope - hope that before the disease in my brain finally wipes it clean, I can jump before I am pushed and drag my evil Nemesis to its doom, like Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty locked in combat as they go over the waterfall.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sherlock Holmes came back from that.

Ulstan
Apr 29, 2008

LICENSED SARAH PALIN WHITE KNIGHT
And the readers could be the agonized and grief wrought Dr. Watson.

I recently read some of the books in his little tiny blue scotsmen/witches series.

I wasn't all that impressed - are these some of his earlier books? None of the characters are as great as the ones in Night Watch or Lipwig. Plus it seemed to take the whole witching thing a bit too seriously, in contrast to the general light hearted mockery the wizards get (for being useless and byzantine)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ulstan posted:

I recently read some of the books in his little tiny blue scotsmen/witches series.

I wasn't all that impressed - are these some of his earlier books? None of the characters are as great as the ones in Night Watch or Lipwig. Plus it seemed to take the whole witching thing a bit too seriously, in contrast to the general light hearted mockery the wizards get (for being useless and byzantine)
They're his most recent stuff. You know they're YA books, right?

Ulstan
Apr 29, 2008

LICENSED SARAH PALIN WHITE KNIGHT
No, I just saw them at a used books store.

That would explain it. I'm not saying they are bad, just not part of my favorite arcs.

Of course I like the Rincewind/luggage arcs and I know some people who don't, so tastes obviously vary!

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend

Ulstan posted:

No, I just saw them at a used books store.

That would explain it. I'm not saying they are bad, just not part of my favorite arcs.

Of course I like the Rincewind/luggage arcs and I know some people who don't, so tastes obviously vary!

The Tiffany Aching books are his Young Adult series, the only proper discworld book with witches and Yac Mac Feggle is Capre Jugulum.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aussie Crawl posted:

The Tiffany Aching books are his Young Adult series, the only proper discworld book with witches and Yac Mac Feggle is Capre Jugulum.

Weren't the Yac Mac Feegle in Lords and Ladies as well?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

precision posted:

Weren't the Yac Mac Feegle in Lords and Ladies as well?

Nac Mac Feegle, and yes, I believe so. Damned if I can remember why, plot-wise.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They were banished from the Fairy Realm for being drunks and stealing, I think.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Nac Mac Feegle are brilliant.

It's the only Pratchett book I managed to get signed as well. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ibroxmassive posted:

The Nac Mac Feegle are brilliant.

Are Scottish people offended by them or too drunk too have noticed yet?

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Nac Mac Feegle, and yes, I believe so. Damned if I can remember why, plot-wise.

I think they got Verence away from the elves? It's been a while since I read it.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007

Mogadishu posted:

I think they got Verence away from the elves? It's been a while since I read it.

No the Feegle's don't appear in Lords and Ladies, you're thinking of Capre Jugulum when Nanny gives them Scumble in return for sneaking Verance out of the castle.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
Agh, you're right. But they're basically the same book, so I say it counts. :colbert:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

precision posted:

That would be like Londoners getting offended at the portrayal of Ankh-Morpork, or Welsh people getting offended at Llamedos.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nilbop posted:

That would be like Londoners getting offended at the portrayal of Ankh-Morpork, or Welsh people getting offended at Llamedos.

Actually, especially in more recent novels, I've always thought of Ankh-Morpork is an analogue for New York/America. I'm sure there are even quotes which reference how it's a "melting pot" and it certainly seems to have a much more welcoming policy with regards to immigrants than England does.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ankh-Morpork has elements from various different cities. There's aspects of London there aswell as pretty much every major city. I don't think there's really a clear influence either way, it's just "The City" which is just a caricature of what a normal city is.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

precision posted:

Actually, especially in more recent novels, I've always thought of Ankh-Morpork is an analogue for New York/America. I'm sure there are even quotes which reference how it's a "melting pot" and it certainly seems to have a much more welcoming policy with regards to immigrants than England does.

As an American who has never been to London, it is very easy to see parallels between Ankh-Morpork and big American cities - the Ankh, for example, is very reminiscent of the L.A. "river" (actually an aqueduct), which is very smelly and filled with feces and dead hookers and gangsters. On the other hand, from an intellectual standpoint, I can recognize it a parallel of the Thames in London. Other things are so obvious that even an ignorant American can see, such as Old Tom = Big Ben. So basically, it's partly London, but mostly it's just so stereotypically "big city" that you could imagine it's major metropolis.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
The fist sentence of this thread doesn't make sense now that the thread title has been changed for some reason?

Anyway, I'm struggling through Carpe, it's just not in the same league as the very few other TP books I've read and loved (Making Money took my TP virginity, since then I've read Monstrous Regiment and The Last Hero? (I think that's the title)).

Looking forward to hitting up the watch series once I get around to em, I have a few more TP's sitting there waiting to be read.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, that's my point, the Nac Mac Feegle are an extremely specific parody of a people, the sort of thing that if you wrote them as stereotypical, say, Mexicans people would get really offended.

Perhaps it's just because, as Renton says, "It's shite being Scottish."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hey, nice title and label change.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
I wish they'd stop making movies and turn the Watch books into a TV serial or something, they're the highlight of the series for me.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Mogadishu posted:

I wish they'd stop making movies and turn the Watch books into a TV serial or something, they're the highlight of the series for me.

Nah, a series of movies would be better - movies can have bigger budgets. Dear Hollywood: Sign on Alan Rickman as Vetinari for a 7-movie deal ASAP.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Nah, a series of movies would be better - movies can have bigger budgets. Dear Hollywood: Sign on Alan Rickman as Vetinari for a 7-movie deal ASAP.

Last time they wanted to make a Hollywood Discworld movie they were looking at Mort, if i remember the story correctly they'd had Terry do them a rough draft of a script for it, or else had just been given a copy of the novel. Their response was "Love it, great story, great characters, great humour. Now lets just lose this whole Death angle okay?"

At which Terry Pratchett jumped through a plate glass window and ran all the way back to England without stopping. I doubt we'll see a Hollywood Discworld movie.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

precision posted:

As a Scottish person I am fully qualified to say that no one is offended. I personally love the wee blue bastards. I have a real soft spot for the poetry-reciting Gonagalls of the Feegle tribes (who are affectionate parodies of William McGonagall, the Worst Poet In The World)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I gave my friend Guards! Guards!, and she's gotten through about half of it in 2 years of reading. Now she says it's boring, the story is always in same place, and she's returning the book to me. Is there some other book you guys think is maybe...easier to read? Or has humor that doesn't require you to have read any other books (books in general)?

I'm thinking Mort might work, or maybe one of the stand-alone ones like Small Gods or The Truth.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pyramids or Sourcery are my two go-to books in that style.

edit: Oh god how could I forget The Last Hero. That's pretty much perfect for what you're looking for. A pretty standalone story, easy to read and beautifully illustrated.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 16, 2009

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Small Gods would probably go well. Besides the fact that it's one of the best books in the series, it also has a great concept, is pretty much completely stand-alone, reads well and doesn't have a lot of the fantasy markers that turn people off (trolls, dwarves, etc).

Mort and then probably Pyramids would be my next suggestions.

Honestly, I'm a little bit biased, because I feel Small Gods is a step above the rest of the series as a book. I love Pratchett's humour and will happily read through most of the discworld books when I need a light read, but Small Gods is the only one where I'll go to my bookshelf specifically looking to read it again. The others I'll pick up when I need a book to read and I'm staring at the shelf trying to decide.

edit: And I recently bought a second copy with the 2005 black cover so people would actually read it.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 17, 2009

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

shadok posted:

They started shooting in May, and most of the casting is up on IMDB.

Manuel (Andrew Sachs) is going to be Groats?

Completely approve of this.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If a Terry Pratchett book is too hard, maybe they're just not a "reads books" kind of person.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

shadok posted:

[Pratchett] said some ways of looking after those with chronic illnesses, including forcible or 'peg' feeding of Alzheimer's sufferers, were degradpulsorying and painful.

I am guessing that Terry Pratchett did not actually say or write "degradpulsorying".

Later in the article is this:

quote:

'I very much doubt this could be the case. We are a democracy and no democratic government is going to get anywhere with a policy of comor even recommended euthanasia.'

degrading and compulsory.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Yes, I too solved the word scramble.

I just re-read Soul Music, one of the Discworld books I hadn't liked much my first time around, and for whatever reason I found it more enjoyable this time. Even so, if I classed them all in order of favourite, I think all three Susan Sto Helit books would be at or near the bottom.

I am ready for my Unseen Academicals now, please.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Entropic posted:

If a Terry Pratchett book is too hard, maybe they're just not a "reads books" kind of person.

Yeah, I think that's it. :smith:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

shadok posted:

if I classed them all in order of favourite, I think all three Susan Sto Helit books would be at or near the bottom.

Even Thief of Time? I can agree with the other 2 (except I found most of the Witches series worse,) but ToT is one of his best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's frustrating is that Susan is such a great character but gets somewhat shafted on which books she gets put in. Thief of Time was great, though, and the movie version of Hogfather was brilliant, especially her showdown with Teatime.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

shadok posted:

I am ready for my Unseen Academicals now, please.

With all of the morbid Alzheimers articles of late, I don't know if I can bring myself to rush headlong into it.

The thought of finishing it and knowing there may never be another adult Discworld novel sucks rear end. :smith:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I don't understand how people could dislike Hogfather.

Was it the fun? Was it too much fun for you?

the big piggy did a steaming great piss in the shop

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Loutre posted:

With all of the morbid Alzheimers articles of late, I don't know if I can bring myself to rush headlong into it.

The thought of finishing it and knowing there may never be another adult Discworld novel sucks rear end. :smith:

What do you think about him leaving the saga to someone else after he passes on? Would you rather have Discworld end with Pratchett or have more books written by someone he hand-picks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nilbop posted:

I don't understand how people could dislike Hogfather.

I doubt most Terry Pratchett fans actually dislike anything he's written. It's just a matter of whether he's on top of his game or not.

Hogfather was a lot better than Soul Music, that's for sure.

EDIT: No, no, a thousand times no, unless it's Neil Gaiman using Pratchett characters in cameos, the Disc is Terry's and no one else's.