Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So I just rounded off my oil drain plug bolt. :( There's one good side left that I can probably get some vice grips on, anyone think that will work? How well do those gator grip sockets work?

gently caress 12 pt. box wrenches though, christ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

The right size vise-grips locked on super-tight should do the trick. Just make sure you're turning it the right way!

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma

mod sassinator posted:

So I just rounded off my oil drain plug bolt. :( There's one good side left that I can probably get some vice grips on, anyone think that will work? How well do those gator grip sockets work?

If you can get a pipe wrench on it, it will do the trick for you. If not, try the vice grips.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I got a 3.5 ton jack at Costco last weekend for $94. The thing is heavy-loving-duty. I swear that's not the rating, it's how much it weighs. It's really low profile and lifts to nearly 23". Highly recommended.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Doctor Zero posted:

I got a 3.5 ton jack at Costco last weekend for $94. The thing is heavy-loving-duty. I swear that's not the rating, it's how much it weighs. It's really low profile and lifts to nearly 23". Highly recommended.

Any idea how it compares to the AI standard jack (the Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack)?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kynetx posted:

Any idea how it compares to the AI standard jack (the Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack)?

I have both, this is the "shop" jack -- too heavy for easy lugging to the track, but low enough to get under the racecar. Nice smooth lifting motion and easy release, plus it's beefy enough to jack up the truck if I put a wood block on it.

It's the optimal home shop jack, but LOOKY WHAT I GOT HERE!

H-F jack, $60. 8-gal air tank, $80. 20% off any item, all good through 11/29/09.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mod sassinator posted:

Irwin do removal tools for rounded fasteners, kind of like inside-out easy-outs:

I've found Gator Grip sockets aren't really that wonderful, to be honest.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

InitialDave posted:

Irwin do removal tools for rounded fasteners, kind of like inside-out easy-outs:

I've found Gator Grip sockets aren't really that wonderful, to be honest.

I have a set of these, and the few times I've had to use them, they have been a lifesaver :) Definitely worth picking up, especially if you work on older/abused vehicles (like I tend to :().

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

These are brilliant for utterly hosed fasteners. I use them loads on ~40-year-old british rust :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Alright I was able to break the bolt free with my biggest vice grips. Luckily no need to get fancy extractors yet. Thanks for the advice!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Sterndotstern posted:

I have both, this is the "shop" jack -- too heavy for easy lugging to the track, but low enough to get under the racecar. Nice smooth lifting motion and easy release, plus it's beefy enough to jack up the truck if I put a wood block on it.

It's the optimal home shop jack, but LOOKY WHAT I GOT HERE!

H-F jack, $60. 8-gal air tank, $80. 20% off any item, all good through 11/29/09.

Holy poo poo. I am buying this tomorrow.

I have that compressor. It's medium-useful. I would recommend something better used.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The coupon fine print says it can't be duplicated or printed, do you know where you can get the real flyer?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mod sassinator posted:

The coupon fine print says it can't be duplicated or printed, do you know where you can get the real flyer?

Grassroots motorspots, but I guaran-goddamn-tee-you you won't have a problem printing it and taking it. I can scan higher res if you want.

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.
I got a coupon book in the mail with the racing jack for $70, but $60 is even sweeter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mod sassinator posted:

Modified has one inside this month's issue.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Autogeek has a 20% coupon going on until Sunday, Aug 16th: MIKEPHILLIPS

Doesn't apply to "extractors, air compressors, car covers, polishers & polisher kits, vacuums, VIP specials, Buy One, Get One Free items, Pro Detailer Kits, garage flooring, gift certificates, complete wash systems or any item as noted on product page."

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Is there any recommended jack other than the HF racing jack with a bit more lift height? $60 is a good deal, but I'm looking for something with a bit more range. Theyve got a 4000lb jack that does 18" - anyone know if thats worthwhile?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I have this one which is overpriced online probably to make up for shipping.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105

Is this the one you're referring to? They're usually cheaper in stores then you get 20% off. I think my blue one was $130. It works awesome. I can easily pick it up and carry it, it was cheap, I love it.

EDIT:
I think youre referring to this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92782

I am not sure which of those two I have to be honest but it pumps very quick and works great.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Uthor posted:

Modified has one inside this month's issue.

As does Grassroots motorsports

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003

ASSTASTIC posted:

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that if it spins(angle grinder) or generates heat(cheap heatgun) and its from harbor freight, its poo poo. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There is a lot of inexpensive good stuff there.

I've noticed that a lot of HF stuff is made by the same manufacturer as the more expensive name brand stuff you get at other stores. A lot of the Craftsman jacks are identical. Some of the Craftsman miter saws are the same, with the Craftsman brand having additional cosmetic details. The HF compressor I recently bought is made by Campbell Hausfeld, which can be purchased at Home Depot, Sears, Wal-Mart, and Northern.

If it's a tool made in China you can probably get the same thing for cheaper at HF, especially with the coupons and sales. You just have to deal with the ridiculous orange color scheme.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

vx15i posted:

I've noticed that a lot of HF stuff is made by the same manufacturer as the more expensive name brand stuff you get at other stores. A lot of the Craftsman jacks are identical. Some of the Craftsman miter saws are the same, with the Craftsman brand having additional cosmetic details. The HF compressor I recently bought is made by Campbell Hausfeld, which can be purchased at Home Depot, Sears, Wal-Mart, and Northern.

If it's a tool made in China you can probably get the same thing for cheaper at HF, especially with the coupons and sales. You just have to deal with the ridiculous orange color scheme.

As someone who imports Chinese stuff be careful with confusing the idea that a clone is made by the same manufacturer.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

RealKyleH posted:

As someone who imports Chinese stuff be careful with confusing the idea that a clone is made by the same manufacturer.

Just gonna bring out this oldie but a goodie for this post here.

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003
Not discounting that they might be a clone, but it seemed more likely to me they were made by the same company and rebranded. The picture above is not representative of the type of quality you get at HF, where it's obviously just a scam. I have a number of HF tools along with named brand, and the HF stuff works just as well as my more expensive stuff. I've also had expensive name brand poo poo fall apart on me so that's not limited to HF.

vx15i fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 14, 2009

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

I have this one which is overpriced online probably to make up for shipping.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105

Is this the one you're referring to? They're usually cheaper in stores then you get 20% off. I think my blue one was $130. It works awesome. I can easily pick it up and carry it, it was cheap, I love it.

EDIT:
I think youre referring to this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92782

I am not sure which of those two I have to be honest but it pumps very quick and works great.

I ended up just grabbing the one in the flyer. For double the price, and really with the primary purpose of oil changes on my fiancee's scion which doesnt like ramps due to clearance, it should be fine.

May pick up the nicer one at some point though, depending how this guy treats me.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

vx15i posted:

Not discounting that they might be a clone, but it seemed more likely to me they were made by the same company and rebranded. The picture above is not representative of the type of quality you get at HF, where it's obviously just a scam. I have a number of HF tools along with named brand, and the HF stuff works just as well as my more expensive stuff. I've also had expensive name brand poo poo fall apart on me so that's not limited to HF.

The picture above is not representative of the type of quality you get with Chinese turbos and I don't even sell Chinese turbos.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

RealKyleH posted:

The picture above is not representative of the type of quality you get with Chinese turbos and I don't even sell Chinese turbos.

Completely true. That picture was a display model that was accidentally sent to someone. It was never supposed to be used, and even if the reseller sent it on purpose, XSPower turbos actually aren't THAT bad. They just need a rebuild and some cleaning up on the bearing surfaces, and they are a 1/3 cost turbo compared to a Garrett or T-netics.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
How are HF spring compressors, a death trap or good for the occasional spring change?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

mod sassinator posted:

How are HF spring compressors, a death trap or good for the occasional spring change?

They'll hold, but they need a poo poo ton of lube to be usable.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Anyone know the type of interface the Xcelite "99" series uses between its handle and blades? They look like this:

Reason I ask is at work I've got an electric screwdriver that uses that sort of interface, but about half size. I'll have to measure the diameter next time I'm at work (Monday), but it's roughly half the diameter of the Xcelite style shown above. I'd be interested in an extension or more bits for my driver, but I don't know what that style is to search for it generically.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Walked posted:

Is there any recommended jack other than the HF racing jack with a bit more lift height? $60 is a good deal, but I'm looking for something with a bit more range. Theyve got a 4000lb jack that does 18" - anyone know if thats worthwhile?

Doctor Zero posted:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, I checked my Costco - nothing in stock when I was there. The HF should do for now, and I'll keep an eye on costco.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
For the Canadians present. I just got a Stanley 211 piece socket and wrench set for $99 at Canadian tire. Normal price is $299.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

helno posted:

For the Canadians present. I just got a Stanley 211 piece socket and wrench set for $99 at Canadian tire. Normal price is $299.

Canadian tire usually has socket sets on sale all the time, whether Mastercraft of Stanley. I got a nice mastercraft one that is all 6 point shallow and deep sockets up to 19mm. The ratchets are poo poo though, Princess auto "POWERFIST" ones are still cheap and have a much better feel.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Any suggestions for pressure/purge/testing tool for cooling systems?

I'm looking at a few in the 79-149$ price range, I need it to track down/test leaks at hose clamps.

I don't need the uber $500-1000 kits with every adapter under the sun, I'm using it on misc military vehicles with old 60's-70's era caps.

A few need air, but ideally something with a hand pump so I can work in the field.

/edit

I was looking at Stant, Kent Moore is out of my price range(maybe not actually), and I'd like to avoid anything with flimsy construction like craftsman/OTC

/edit

Wound up with a craftsman unit which actually had ok build quality. :)

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 4, 2009

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Can someone fill me in on the minimum specs for an air compressor if I want to do basic painting and blasting? Thanky

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.thepaintpro.com/sandblasting-equipment-information.html

Depends upon what you are blasting. Paint will require less then the smallest blasting gun. You might get away with 15cfm if you work slow. Both of those activites take a ton of air.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Keep in mind, your compressor doesn't need to actually do 20cfm to run a 20cfm tool, that's the whole reason for having an air tank in the first place.

A 60 gallon tank will take up the least amount of floor space and give you plenty of air to finish a single body panel with even a tiny compressor. It's also a common enough size that you can find them on craigslist all the time for pretty cheap. I would look for something with at least 50% of the rated CFM of whatever tool you're using.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

oxbrain posted:

Keep in mind, your compressor doesn't need to actually do 20cfm to run a 20cfm tool, that's the whole reason for having an air tank in the first place.
This is true. Media blasting is very greedy for air, but if you allow time for the compressor to catch up, it should be ok.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going to get some gear to start stripping the badly fading paint off my '65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MattO posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going to get some gear to start stripping the badly fading paint off my '65.
Clean'N'Strip discs for grinders, which are a very open sponge mixed with abrasives, are very effective at removing paint without gumming up or trashing the metal underneath. Using these to do larger areas, and media blasting tricky nooks and crannies, might be faster than blasting the whole lot if you don't have a full-on industrial rig.

Also, wear good overalls with tight seals around the cuffs for your gloves. Aluminium oxide gets everywhere.