Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KennyG posted:

Does anyone know of a 3 or 4U rackmount server case with space for a 5.25" bay in the BACK?

To what end do you need the 5.25" bay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

H110Hawk posted:

To what end do you need the 5.25" bay?

SAS expander module. I want to link two (or more) rack mount cases for some crazy raid storage.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Anyone familiar with SMART enough to explain the difference between the modes?

Long Self-Test
vs.
Short Self-Test
vs.
Conveyance Self-Test
vs.
Offline Immediate Test

Using a bunch of WD blacks in an mdadm array, what tests should I have smartmontools running, and how often?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KennyG posted:

SAS expander module. I want to link two (or more) rack mount cases for some crazy raid storage.

Can you link this? Why would use this as opposed to just a LSI SAS3041/SAS3081 card?

http://alrightdeals.com/Item.htm?Id=S0_Controller.Card_Serial.ATA.Controller___LS-3041ES

They rock your vague socks.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
That item is basically what I want to do however that has no external inputs. With a 24 port SAS card it's pretty useless to need one of those. What I want to do is take the one external port on the Areca ARC-1680ix-24 and connect it to another case full of drives. Theoretically this is how one would be able to connect 255 drives to one high performance raid card. All other things aside, if I drop the cash on this I would like the case not to look shoe horned together and not have it decide to break when someone looks at sideways. Some quick gimp work yields these to illustrate my point:

Green (above) is the SAS expander module listed below:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I have 10ish of those at work, only with the LSI cards. Use something like this:

http://www.wiredzone.com/itemdesc.asp/ic/10017610/store/SUPERMICRO

Much easier to find cases that it can fit in to than a 5.25" bay. One 24 bay server hooked up to 3x JBOD 24 port expanders. Just get a backplane that has an out port.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

KennyG posted:

I rewrote the thing in .NET and modeled raid arrays from 2-64 disks 1000 times each. I just optimized the code and am working on a 1,000,000 rep sim to try and improve the reliability of some of the averages.

If you want to know about how long you can expect your raid array to last - check this out.

Any chance you could add a hot spare option? I'm wondering if raid 5 + hot spare would be as good/better than raid 6

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

w_hat posted:

Any chance you could add a hot spare option? I'm wondering if raid 5 + hot spare would be as good/better than raid 6
It would likely be almost as good but never better.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

w_hat posted:

I'm currently running the 1m sim. Next up is the hotspare.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

KennyG posted:

I'm currently running the 1m sim. Next up is the hotspare.

Excellent, I looked around your site and love what you're doing, but is modeling HUGE arrays realistic? I thought everyone knows to keep their pools around 10 drives or less.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

w_hat posted:

Excellent, I looked around your site and love what you're doing, but is modeling HUGE arrays realistic? I thought everyone knows to keep their pools around 10 drives or less.
Do they? Considering the typical drive shelf is 14 to 16 drives, I don't think your statement is accurate (granted, those are typically raid6 or 10).

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

w_hat posted:

Also most raid cards advertise supporting 256 drives in an array. It's mainly taking it to the point past any logical implementation for completeness.

I have to do a bit more coding/research to implement the hot spare concept and then control for it's replacement. The practical matter of a hot spare is just that it takes less time to rebuild (because in our hypothetical 1 of the 3 days is dedicated to noticing the failure - it would make it 2 days instead of 3).

I need to do a bit more research on it and figure it out...

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
After about 3 straight weeks of time on a Core2 Quad 9550 I was able to run 37,764,768,000,000 simulations on 'virtual drives' in various RAID configurations to try and put some concrete probability numbers on RAID configurations using standard available hard drives. It wasn't the most efficient method, but I feel it's statistically valid and pretty accurate given the real world anomalies in play.

Before you ask, the drives decay in the simulation (older drives fail more) and it only accounts for hard disk failure and not catastrophic card failure or sector failure that would kill an array due to insufficient parity. That said, I still think the numbers are quite interesting and are at least worth a glance.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey guys,

I was linked to this thread from a person who responded to my SA Mart thread. Long story short, I have 3x500GB WD Caviar Blacks in a Raid 5 configuration, and ran into the TLER problem. I enabled TLER (7 seconds) on each of the hdds, yet my raid controller still reports the hdds as failing. I've run the WD diagnostics on the hdds, and they've all reported that there are not any issues with the actual disks.

I've recently given up hope; however, I was told to post here to see what you guys think. Quick specs:

ASUS P6T
Intel i7 920
3x500GB WD Caviar Blacks in (Software, yeah I know)Raid 5. The raid controller is the Intel Storage Matrix v 8.0
3x2GB OCZ Gold DDR3 Ram

My hdds are in their respective bays, and well cooled so I don't believe it's an environmental issue. I've pretty much given up all hope, and already have a 300GB raptor coming in as my raid replacement, but do you guys have any inclination as to why my hdds keep on "failing" out of the raid controller, even after I've enabled TLER?

ParanoiaComplex
Dec 29, 2004

Doh004, what Operating System and what software runs the RAID?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ParanoiaComplex posted:

Doh004, what Operating System and what software runs the RAID?

I'm running the Windows 7 Ultimate RC build. And I believe the software is the Intel Storage Matrix 8.0

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Doh004 posted:

I'm running the Windows 7 Ultimate RC build. And I believe the software is the Intel Storage Matrix 8.0

What MB are you using?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Ceros_X posted:

What MB are you using?

An ASUS P6T (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359)

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Found this, does it apply to you?

http://communities.intel.com/thread/5036?start=0&tstart=0

ParanoiaComplex
Dec 29, 2004

Can the array be assembled?

If so, how long after the array has been assembled does it fail?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Ceros_X posted:

Found this, does it apply to you?

http://communities.intel.com/thread/5036?start=0&tstart=0

Yes, I believe it does. I'm currently running a very outdated version of the storage matrix. While their problems are exactly what's happening to me, I don't have have that version. After I'm done doing this backup, I will update the version to the 8.8 that they said works perfectly.

ParanoiaComplex posted:

Can the array be assembled?

If so, how long after the array has been assembled does it fail?

Yep, and it'll last usually two to three days until it fails randomly, even when it's sitting idle.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
(Double Post)

I lied, it is running the 8.9x version that was causing other people problems too. Now I can't find an exe of the 8.8 version, only a bootable version that I put on my bootable flash drive, but I don't know which file to run. There's no exe or bat file. Just sys, inf, cat and an OEM file.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Doh004 posted:

(Double Post)

I lied, it is running the 8.9x version that was causing other people problems too. Now I can't find an exe of the 8.8 version, only a bootable version that I put on my bootable flash drive, but I don't know which file to run. There's no exe or bat file. Just sys, inf, cat and an OEM file.
Try going in the device manager, open storage controller properties, update drivers and search for the flash drive.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my 3-disk unRAID up and running. Gotta say, I'm loving it and thinking of upgrading to the 16-disk Pro version. They have a 2-pack reg key deal for $149 ($75 each) which saves money off a single key which is $119. Anyone interested in going in on a 2-pack to save some cash?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Saukkis posted:

Try going in the device manager, open storage controller properties, update drivers and search for the flash drive.

Yeah, I was actually able to find an exe, and it just replaced the old driver. I was afraid to completely uninstall the driver from Windows, because I figured I'm currently in the raid that is being controlled by the driver, but it appears to have worked. For some reason, whenever I boot up, it displays that I'm in version 8.0. Yet when in Windows, it says its version 8.8.x.

:iiam:

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

crumshot posted:

Got my 3-disk unRAID up and running. Gotta say, I'm loving it and thinking of upgrading to the 16-disk Pro version. They have a 2-pack reg key deal for $149 ($75 each) which saves money off a single key which is $119. Anyone interested in going in on a 2-pack to save some cash?
How does unRAID compare to Windows Home Server?

I have MSDN so price isn't an issue and I don't need all of the features.

Really, all I want in a NAS is this:

1) Must be FAST (and support jumbo frames?). This is my #1 important requirement. (eg. it should hopefully transfer at near actual disc access speeds if possible)
2) Mixed hard-drive sizes (1.5 TB, 500 GB, 1 TB, etc)
3) All drives shared as one large drive (basically JBOD, but somehow safer?)
4) File duplication, preferably customizable to certain folders.

*) Would also be nice to run other servers/daemons since my file server is decently beefy (3.0 GHz dual-core, 8 GB ECC RAM, etc). It seems like a waste to only use WHS espicially because it can only support 4 GB)

Are there really any alternatives to WHS for this?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

How does unRAID compare to Windows Home Server?

I have MSDN so price isn't an issue and I don't need all of the features.

Really, all I want in a NAS is this:

1) Must be FAST (and support jumbo frames?). This is my #1 important requirement. (eg. it should hopefully transfer at near actual disc access speeds if possible)
2) Mixed hard-drive sizes (1.5 TB, 500 GB, 1 TB, etc)
3) All drives shared as one large drive (basically JBOD, but somehow safer?)
4) File duplication, preferably customizable to certain folders.

*) Would also be nice to run other servers/daemons since my file server is decently beefy (3.0 GHz dual-core, 8 GB ECC RAM, etc). It seems like a waste to only use WHS espicially because it can only support 4 GB)

Are there really any alternatives to WHS for this?

unRAID is the first time I've dabbled into the whole NAS thing, so I can't compare it to WHS. I had a buddy show it to me a couple weeks ago and it seemed like a great idea so I grabbed their 3-disk free version to try it out.

Responding to your list:
1. My unRAID is running on an old machine with these specs: AMD Athlon 2800+, 1.5GB RAM, 200GB IDE (parity disk), 180GB SATA, 80GB IDE. Just wanted to test it out with the few older drives that I have before I grab a couple 1.5TBs. I've only done a few mass-transfers, like dumping all my music/my docs over to it and Win7 was reporting a constant 7-9MB/s write speed to my 180GB SATA drive, which is on a PCI card since the board only does IDE. Not too shabby, although I have no idea how that compares to any other NAS solution. I was watching the network tab in Task Manager and it would burst to 100% utilization of my 100Mbps, so I may need to finally upgrade to gigabit.

2. Yep, unRAID does this. It was actually the main point that got me interested since I have a stack of old drives. Your largest drive is your parity drive, and you can add whatever size disks you want. You can also replace any drive with another (like if you wanted to replace an 80GB with a 1.5TB), and it'll automatically rebuild your data from the disk you removed.

3. You can do this by setting up user shares. It'll automatically allocate data to different physical disks, but appear in the network share as one large drive.

4. Not exactly sure what you mean by this.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Is mixed hard-drive sizes a deal breaker? I played with most of the popular configs out there when building my server box (unraid, WHS, FreeNAS running Raid-Z, etc.) and liked a simple ubuntu server setup using mdadm at Raid-5. Rock loving solid, low overhead, fast (getting 160MB/s writes and 200MB/s reads on 5x 1TB WE blacks) and really really stable.

I'm confident enough in this build that my other computers have become almost like dumb terminals.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Ok, what about Windows Server 2008 R2 as a home file server?

This sounds appealing since I enjoy fooling around with different technology but how well would it work as a file server?

Is there any way to combine multiple hard drives into one large share? (like Windows Home Server)

For example, if I have D:\Movies and E:\Movies, I'd like to just have one share called "Movies" and have the server decide which hard drive to put them on.

That's really the big feature that I want to use and I don't need or want any of the other features of Windows Home Server.

(Another option for me I guess is OpenSolaris and ZFS, but I'm not sure about that since Server 2008 R2 probably provides better Windows to Windows file transfer speed?)

uNRAID seems nice but I think I'd like to stick to Windows or OpenSolaris/ZFS... :/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless 2008 has changed significantly from 2003 in this regard, Windows Server just doesn't work all that well for home use. It won't do what you're asking in terms of combining drives (for that matter, I don't think any server will do that if you're using drives that aren't blank and don't want the data destroyed).

On top of that, software RAID5 in Windows server is completely unable to expand. It sucks.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Well, I've been doing some research and apparantly Server 2008 supports SMB2 which would be an advantage I suppose.

It also supports something called "DFS Namespaces" which will combine folders into one share (or something).

Why else would Server 2008 be a bad choice? (what disadvantages does it have?)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Vinlaen posted:

Well, I've been doing some research and apparantly Server 2008 supports SMB2 which would be an advantage I suppose.

It also supports something called "DFS Namespaces" which will combine folders into one share (or something).

Why else would Server 2008 be a bad choice? (what disadvantages does it have?)
DFS isn't really what you want, it's more useful when you have several servers. If you have serverA with shareA, serverB with shareB and serverC with shareC you could have them show up as separate folder under one \\domain\dfs\ share.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

crumshot posted:

I ended up buying the plus version on my own since I didnt need 16 (its actually 20 now but its not advertised since its only enabled in the latest beta) and I really like UNRAID. Its not too quick on write since it has a goofy copying scheme and doesnt stripe (about 15-20MBps) but the reads are as fast as the network. I dont mind the write slowdown since it makes up for it in the redundancy and ease of use for a linux retarded person such as myself.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I ended up buying the plus version on my own since I didnt need 16 (its actually 20 now but its not advertised since its only enabled in the latest beta) and I really like UNRAID. Its not too quick on write since it has a goofy copying scheme and doesnt stripe (about 15-20MBps) but the reads are as fast as the network. I dont mind the write slowdown since it makes up for it in the redundancy and ease of use for a linux retarded person such as myself.

Yeah I'm still trying to decide between Plus and Pro, but I'm leaning toward Pro since Plus is 6 disks. I already have 5 disks and am looking to pick up a pair of 1.5TB. I wish the Plus went up to 8 disks, but it's neat that you can upgrade your Plus key to Pro though, even if it ends up being $10 more.

Still looking for a taker if anyone wants to split a 2-pack of keys.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey guys, thanks for your help earlier with my Raid 5 setup. We'll see if it fixes everything, but I have a question for you all.

I had ordered a replacement Velociraptor before this last "fix". It's currently still in all of it's packaging. The money would be nice to get back; however, could I justify it and keep the raptor? That'd have me using the 300GB for my OS, applications/games, and the Raid 5 of three 500GB WD Caviar Blacks for media/storage.

Will I see a boost in application load times and overall application performance?

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I need recommendations on 5.25" -> 3.5" SATA enclosures. That is - one of those things that takes up 3 5.25" bays and converts them to 4 or 5 3.5" bays, ideally with power and SATA connections (doesn't need to be hot-swap tho).

Also, if anyone offhand knows a good cheap 4 port PCIe SATA controller that works with Solaris. Failing that, I'd buy (2) 2 port PCI SATA controllers, if someone has a recommendation on those. I don't need any RAID features.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frunksock posted:

I need recommendations on 5.25" -> 3.5" SATA enclosures. That is - one of those things that takes up 3 5.25" bays and converts them to 4 or 5 3.5" bays, ideally with power and SATA connections (doesn't need to be hot-swap tho).

Also, if anyone offhand knows a good cheap 4 port PCIe SATA controller that works with Solaris. Failing that, I'd buy (2) 2 port PCI SATA controllers, if someone has a recommendation on those. I don't need any RAID features.

I have this Supermicro and I like it a lot, though keep in mind it is pretty drat long. If you're trying to stuff this in a mid-tower case, you may run into interference issues with the motherboard like I did. Also, it's not really meant to slide into a desktop case which has all sorts of tabs and poo poo for mounting single-bay 5.25" devices, so get ready to get creative with the Dremel.

I haven't seen any cheap 4-port PCIe SATA controllers; the only cheap PCIe ones right now are 2-port. I grabbed a cheap generic one with a Silicon Image chipset and it worked great in Ubuntu, no idea on Solaris support.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have this Supermicro and I like it a lot, though keep in mind it is pretty drat long. If you're trying to stuff this in a mid-tower case, you may run into interference issues with the motherboard like I did. Also, it's not really meant to slide into a desktop case which has all sorts of tabs and poo poo for mounting single-bay 5.25" devices, so get ready to get creative with the Dremel.

I haven't seen any cheap 4-port PCIe SATA controllers; the only cheap PCIe ones right now are 2-port. I grabbed a cheap generic one with a Silicon Image chipset and it worked great in Ubuntu, no idea on Solaris support.
Yeah, this is going into a Antec P150, and I'd prefer not to have to Dremel anything, unless there are no products that fit without doing that. I'll comb the Solaris HCL if there's not a card the Solaris people here like.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

frunksock posted:

Yeah, this is going into a Antec P150, and I'd prefer not to have to Dremel anything, unless there are no products that fit without doing that. I'll comb the Solaris HCL if there's not a card the Solaris people here like.

I have no experiance with the P150, but on my Antec 1200 I had to Dremel the tabs off to get them to fit (I use two Icy Dock 5 in 3s, but at nearly the same price you get a bigger fan with the Supermicro. I just caught a deal at $75 a pop that I couldn't pass up). If you don't want to cut, you *might* be able to use a 4 in 3 similar to this. It really just depends on how big your tabs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

frunksock posted:

I use this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5630

(site is in Australia, so don't try and order unless you're are too)

and it fits perfectly in my old antec mini tower despite it having those wacky side mounted rails which you usually screw in to the side of the optical drives, I just slid it in and it fit nice and snug...no sata or power connectors but it does have a cooling fan.