Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

I am joining a new team tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Is it called Newcastle.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
I keep playing these three hour long games and ending up with various injuries. Just woke up and I can't move my ankle

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I play on a couple of coed teams because it makes guys like me feel good to outrun girls.

On my outdoor team, I'm defensive mid or fullback depending on the formation (and whether or not our sweeper is uninjured). I can play either side but I'm more comfortable on the left. I'm pretty quick, so the DMC role suits me well, although my touch is not what it once was (but it's getting better thanks to indoor over the summer). This is also a geezer league (over thirty), which is extra nice because being just over thirty and fairly fit (relatively speaking) I can outrun the 50-60 somethings, too.

Over the summer break, about half of the team plays indoor where I get to play much more of an attacking role, filling in as forward when our regular scorers aren't there. I've racked up five goals and a couple of assists over about a dozen games, and even got my first ever hat-trick (granted, the other team was really really really really really absolutely horrible. Their goalie told me it was his second time playing soccer, ever). Unfortunately we don't do as well at indoor as we do at outdoor, because while our team is all over thirty, all the other teams in the indoor league aren't. But hey, I get to play, so I'm happy.

Oh, and Adidas Copas all the way, motherbitches.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Ka0 posted:

Is it called Newcastle.

They are called "Blouses".

On the plus side the yellow shoes worked and I scored two goals to bring us back from 3-1 down to finish up 3-all.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

RedPaddy posted:

I couldn't bring myself to buy a pair of mercurials et al partly because of the expense and partly because unless you are very good you will look a complete wanker

Each time I look at mercurials I remind myself "this is what CRonaldo wears" and then look away, laughing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ka0 posted:

Each time I look at mercurials I remind myself "this is what CRonaldo wears" and then look away, laughing.

I have the green pair he wore in the Euros/early part of the season. I'm a defender. Aside from that they gave me ridiculous blisters so I don't wear them anymore. Air Legends for life(the black/neon green pair of course).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

My shoes, well close because I couldn't find a better picture

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Ka0 posted:

My shoes, well close because I couldn't find a better picture

I have the version with plastic moulded studs :hf:

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Here, anyone got any solid advice for playing full back and/or wing back?

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Craiglen posted:

Probably common sense, but there's always someone like this whenever I play. If you play defense, and want to go forward, you better be a fit fucker who can track back. There's always someone who fancies themselves as a Roberto Carlos and bombs forward, only to get the ball nicked off them and find themselves having to chase back after someone.

(But they obviously can't because they're 35, and a chain smoker, so the other team get an easy goal)

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Sounds fair enough. I've been playing a lot recently and I tend to naturally gravitate towards playing down entire wings. I've been trying to attack and track back well, I suppose the main thing is just to suck it up and build stamina!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I just moved home from college about a week ago and drove around for 30 minutes trying to find a pickup game. All I could find were some Latino leagues and empty parks. What do I do? How do I play soccer if no one will play with me?

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Have a ball at your feet everywhere you go. Even funerals and the shitter.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Craiglen posted:

Are you fast? Do you tire easily?

If your answers are yes and no respectively, go for it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tigren posted:

I just moved home from college about a week ago and drove around for 30 minutes trying to find a pickup game. All I could find were some Latino leagues and empty parks. What do I do? How do I play soccer if no one will play with me?

The internet? Seriously, look online for local leagues.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Craiglen posted:

Sounds fair enough. I've been playing a lot recently and I tend to naturally gravitate towards playing down entire wings. I've been trying to attack and track back well, I suppose the main thing is just to suck it up and build stamina!

If you can't gain the speed I wouldn't worry about adding to the attack all by yourself. If you have a good Midfielder in front of you, when you make a forward run he should obviously drop back, and a CM will shift over onto his wing. Or a CB will take your spot. Just communicate.

Wing backs, focus on crosses. An unexpected sprint into the corner to provide another outlet for attack is a really great way to shake up a tight defense, but it's not going to be much if you can't do anything up there then have to gun it back to defense. Don't play LWB if you can't cross with your left foot, it's not like a midfield position where you can cut in and make up for it. Short passes aren't going to work out of defense, more often than not its either clearances, simple taps back and forth (which you should be able to do ambidextrously) or crosses.

I recomend focusing on the crosses, as it adds a whole new element to your game. If you have the time and the dedication, you could always try to learn the outside-of-the-foot cross that Quaresma does. I can't do it really but it does gently caress up defenders.

And as the others have said, speed and stamina are really important. If you aren't that fast, you better be drat good at timing your tackles.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

The internet? Seriously, look online for local leagues.

Ya, that was my first move. Seems like all the leagues are a decent distance away. Craigslist seems like a decent try.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Tigren posted:

Ya, that was my first move. Seems like all the leagues are a decent distance away. Craigslist seems like a decent try.

Failing field you could always try indoor to get a fix.

Drew 4-all with the second top team on the weekend, I think one of them is a goon. Three things I've learnt are that it's a completely different game with a decent ref, saving penaltys in indoors is hard (they get to take the penalty from about 2m away) but I have an idea on how to get a good chance of stopping them and that playing against teams that have one guy who's clearly dominant is much easier than more balanced teams.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hughsieblingwish posted:

playing against teams that have one guy who's clearly dominant is much easier than more balanced teams.
This is so true. All you need to do is stop one guy and you're totally in the clear. The teams that organise their defence will be the ones that win.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Tigren posted:

Kind of in a similar boat now after the game last night at my regular 6 v 6. Was tussling over the ball in the corner near our goal with another player and I got the ball back to our keeper by going to ground(restricted areas rule) and as I go to get back up the other player knees me in the stomach. The guys I play with are regulars at a pub nearby so you get a fair mix but some of them are old and the kind of pitch monsters that haunt local sunday league teams.

There's been a bad atmosphere there for a while and there's more than one player that would lash out like that though the guy in question is the worst by far. The rear end in a top hat has been trying to do stuff like that for weeks whenever he loses 50/50s but more subtly and generally ended up injuring himself. After being straight up assaulted I'm sick of it, so I'm going to have to find a new regular football outlet but I don't know where/how I'd get a game since this was a friend-of-a-friend style thing.

Fingolfin
Jan 30, 2006
insert optional text here
I wear these bitches, most comfy boots I have worn.

Best part about them, they were free. My wife needed to buy new boots, I didn't really (was wearing Puma King exec's that I thought were great) and Nomis had a deal on, spend $150 and get these free. They kick the poo poo out of the Puma's. These really are the most comfy shoe I own.

Third on my league table, should be able to jump to second if we win the next two so we can finish the league as runner up, then go into the finals feeling good. Best moment of this season was beating the team that has dominated out league for the last three years, and we kept a clean sheet, woo 3-0. In our previous three seasons we haven't scored a total of three goals.

Only problem with playing a winter sport in Australia is we don't really have winter in Newcastle, so running 90 Min's in 25 degrees all the time can be a bit poo poo. Oh yeah, out pitches suck too, one we play on I swear is painted concrete.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
I feel like talking about football boots. What are everyones favourite boots? I've been using the Umbro Speciali since I was a kid. No poo poo, nothing fancy, just a comfortable solid reliable boot

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nike Air Legends. Kangaroo leather, good quality, fits my foot well. I do have the colorway with the obnoxious neon green logos though. I haven't tried on the new Legend 3s yet but I will once I see them in stores somewhere.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Been using predators since I was 15, even though I don't really need a badass pair of boots as I'm a keeper, they do the job and don't look flash. (Because you know some guy will show up in his silver mercurial vapours and be absolutely shite.)

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
As much as I hate the idea of expensive boots, at the City vs Celtic game we were right next to the pitch and Robino was wearing a pair of black and yellow mercurials that looked awesome.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Basically I'm going to buy a pair and be That Guy

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Since I'm home for the forseeable future I joined a local team. Came on as a sub with 25 minutes to go, ran my rear end off for 10, threw up for 5, jogged slowly for 5, threw up for another 5 and then the whistle went. To top it off somebody knacked my toe with a late challenge and now I can't walk. Loved every second of it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I got red carded today because I said to the ref "<Ref's Name>, you're a loving joke" just a little louder than I meant to, in the 20th minute, when he made a blatantly lovely call. Oops.

We still won. :smug:

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck
Completely hosed up up AdiNovas after less than 10 kickabouts down the park, now I look like a hobo when I play hockey in them.

Hockey is for girls, literally. They're the only reason I play

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

I got red carded today because I said to the ref "<Ref's Name>, you're a loving joke" just a little louder than I meant to, in the 20th minute, when he made a blatantly lovely call. Oops.

How can I buy him a pint?

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Made my start for my college's team today. I play goalie and the other goalie and I trade halves...well at least we did today.

I have a few saves in the first half 0-0 at the break. Second half they're getting lots of low crosses in on him but he's catching everything solid. With about 10 minutes left he has the ball and goes to throw it to a defender near the touchline. Right when he goes to throw it he hesitates and tries to stop his throw. it goes about 5 yards in front of him and there were forwards coming in. he toe pokes it clear to the middle of the field where an opponent launches a shot from 40 yards out. Sails right over his head :(

I felt pretty bad for him since he's his biggest critic and took the mistake pretty hard. Thankfully he couldn't hear our teammates comments after that went in

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

ayb posted:

Made my start for my college's team today. I play goalie and the other goalie and I trade halves...well at least we did today.

I have a few saves in the first half 0-0 at the break. Second half they're getting lots of low crosses in on him but he's catching everything solid. With about 10 minutes left he has the ball and goes to throw it to a defender near the touchline. Right when he goes to throw it he hesitates and tries to stop his throw. it goes about 5 yards in front of him and there were forwards coming in. he toe pokes it clear to the middle of the field where an opponent launches a shot from 40 yards out. Sails right over his head :(

I felt pretty bad for him since he's his biggest critic and took the mistake pretty hard. Thankfully he couldn't hear our teammates comments after that went in

Aww :( being a keeper sucks for the most part, every other position can make mistakes and 90% of the time get away with it, or at least not have it traced back to them. But if you gently caress up as a keeper, the next thing you do is pick the ball out of the net.

If your teammates were giving him poo poo you should really tell them to lay off, that kind of poo poo helps no one, even if it did cost them a draw.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003

Rhg0061r posted:

Aww :( being a keeper sucks for the most part, every other position can make mistakes and 90% of the time get away with it, or at least not have it traced back to them. But if you gently caress up as a keeper, the next thing you do is pick the ball out of the net.

If your teammates were giving him poo poo you should really tell them to lay off, that kind of poo poo helps no one, even if it did cost them a draw.

yeah I reminded them they weren't finishing their chances either. Plus, their player had a pretty open shot since no one even closed on him. Oh well! Win some, lose some.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah the most annoying aspect of teamplay is when everyone's heads drop because you're playing badly collectively and you start getting angry at everyone. Spoils the fun and doesn't exactly improve your own game.

Still got a month to wait before I can start playing again, having to play squash at the moment to keep my legs occupied. Don't think I'll tryout for the uni team again in case they remember me from last time and how badly I played, and I'm not fit enough for 11v11. :smith:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

reading all these stories about boots and 5 a sides and poo poo like that just makes me remember

i loving love football

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

How can I buy him a pint?

Don't bother, he'd probably spill it and then blame someone else.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Season started last week for my coed team, we played a brand new team that was absolutely lost out there on the pitch. We dominated from start to finish, keeping the ball on their half for all but probably 5 minutes total - but we couldn't put the loving ball in the loving net. No kidding, we had probably two dozen shots on goal at the very least, and half of those hit the post or the crossbar, and the others went straight to the keeper - who, by the way, was a loving fatass that got WINDED in the first half. How the gently caress a keeper gets winded, I have no idea. The ref had to warn him a few times that he was delaying the game with his goal kicks.

After all that we lost on a penalty. :suicide:

Yesterday we played the team that was favored to win the division this season and outplayed them all up and down the field, despite having no subs for the girls, losing one of them just before the half to injury, then losing another to injury with about 10 minutes left. I played sweeper since our regular one threw out his back last week, and I even managed to save a goal about a foot from the goal line when our keeper went down trying to stop a breakaway. Our attackers found their mark today, though, and we won 3-0. Sweet.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Lazlow posted:

Season started last week for my coed team, we played a brand new team that was absolutely lost out there on the pitch. We dominated from start to finish, keeping the ball on their half for all but probably 5 minutes total - but we couldn't put the loving ball in the loving net. No kidding, we had probably two dozen shots on goal at the very least, and half of those hit the post or the crossbar, and the others went straight to the keeper - who, by the way, was a loving fatass that got WINDED in the first half. How the gently caress a keeper gets winded, I have no idea. The ref had to warn him a few times that he was delaying the game with his goal kicks.

After all that we lost on a penalty. :suicide:

Yesterday we played the team that was favored to win the division this season and outplayed them all up and down the field, despite having no subs for the girls, losing one of them just before the half to injury, then losing another to injury with about 10 minutes left. I played sweeper since our regular one threw out his back last week, and I even managed to save a goal about a foot from the goal line when our keeper went down trying to stop a breakaway. Our attackers found their mark today, though, and we won 3-0. Sweet.

Haha you are literally 0809 Liverpool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Sigh, another home loss today. I played keeper the first half, held them then we switched goalies again. A terrible terrible referee today though. Gave our guy a straight red for kicking a ball on the ground near a players face. A goal from them with about 16 minutes left went right over the keeps head and he didn't get his hands behind it. Never seen anything like that happen since in practice he has really reliable hands. We leveled it up a few minutes later though as we were attacking most of the half. With about 5 minutes left he gifts them a drat PK. It's really frustrating to get subbed out and see the other keep get scored on like he did but I was proud of the rest of the guys for stepping up when we had 10 men and almost leveling twice.