Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

OH MY GOD, I have needed this for years. Hello 2nd monitor video mirroring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.
Quick question here. I need to enable IEEE 802.1x authentication to be able to log onto my university network.

With XP and Vista I had to put the service "Wireless Zero Config" on autostart, in order to get the authentification tab to appear on network options, and thus being able to enable IEEE 802.1x.

This tab is missing from network options now, I've tried enabling the "Wired AutoConfig" service, but no luck so far.

Any ideas?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rhymenoceros posted:

Quick question here. I need to enable IEEE 802.1x authentication to be able to log onto my university network.

With XP and Vista I had to put the service "Wireless Zero Config" on autostart, in order to get the authentification tab to appear on network options, and thus being able to enable IEEE 802.1x.

This tab is missing from network options now, I've tried enabling the "Wired AutoConfig" service, but no luck so far.

Any ideas?

Did you try the WLAN Autoconfig service? I believe that's the new version of Zero Config.

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

Casao posted:

Did you try the WLAN Autoconfig service? I believe that's the new version of Zero Config.
Yeah, WLAN and every relevant service seems to be started. I really don't know what to do at this point.

OhPlz
Jul 25, 2001

It's great that we have a minority as President, it's just a shame that he's a communist.

m2pt5 posted:

I would love to get in on this screen saver, but their loving server went down a couple weeks ago and hasn't come back up yet, so anyone who doesn't already have it can't run it.

Says on the home page that they restored their server.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

OhPlz posted:

Well every time I try to log in it fails.

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008

Casao posted:

Okay I figured it out. The outlet in my room is busted, which is why I can't connect :downs:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

OhPlz posted:

sheepserver.net still seems to be dead, which is where the Help button tries to send me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mfaley posted:

Unfortunately not - en error comes up saying that "This operating system isn't supported". When I try to run it in compatibility mode with a previous OS, it doesn't recognize the adapter.

Don't run the installer. Extract the files somewhere and manually add the driver via device manager.

Rhymenoceros posted:

Any ideas?

We have to use that at our University. With Vista and Win7, I've never had to turn it on. It 'knows' what to do when I attempt to connect.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
It's not that I don't like screensavers, it's just that I set my monitor to switch off after five minutes. I'm stingy.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

LooseChanJ posted:

You people who don't like screensavers are dead on the inside. :colbert:

:hfive:

diarrhea for girls posted:

the AfterDark series

gently caress yes! I used to always have the After Dark sets on my older Windows 3.1/9x PCs. They don't make 'em like that anymore. :(

Just found an XP/Vista compatible freeware set of After Dark modules here, but I can't run the Setup because it requires a 32-bit machine and I have 64-bit. =/

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Charles Martel posted:

Just found an XP/Vista compatible freeware set of After Dark modules here, but I can't run the Setup because it requires a 32-bit machine and I have 64-bit. =/

I found a version that would install on 64-bit Windows 7, but I can't configure it because it puts the config page in the old Display control panel module. The "City Lights" (or whatever it's called) works, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I saved a friend from going back to XP by managing to install a driver that was already on their disk. Yay!

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Dammit, I had xp on one hard drive, installed 7 on a separate hard drive, now I can't format the XP hard drive to use it for storage. I remove the hard drive physically 7 won't boot. That's loving retarded. Why would an installation of one operating system on a hard drive put critical information on another.

How do I fix this without another reinstall?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fleedar posted:

This made my day. IEEE Student Membership is only $15 right now and it includes MSDNAA access for all programs. This is great if your school doesn't participate in MSDNAA (mine doesn't).

http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/students/branchresources/microsoftofferstudents.html

Any idea how to get that for current Student Members? I emailed them after I saw your post a few days ago and they haven't gotten back to me :(

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Xaranx posted:

Dammit, I had xp on one hard drive, installed 7 on a separate hard drive, now I can't format the XP hard drive to use it for storage. I remove the hard drive physically 7 won't boot. That's loving retarded. Why would an installation of one operating system on a hard drive put critical information on another.

I probably shouldn't even respond since I was asking about this on like, a couple pages ago, so obviously I'm no expert... but what's happened is 7 used the existing boot information (on the XP drive) and modified it. So it won't let you format XP because that would kill the boot information, and when you physically remove XP (and the boot info), it doesn't know how to boot.

As far as I can tell, this is very simple to fix because your 7 install disk will go "oh poo poo there's no boot information" and replace it for you. So either format XP using something other than windows that doesn't care where your boot information is, or remove the XP drive and pop in the 7 disk and see if you can get it to write the boot info in.

[edit] Yeah what that guy says \/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Xaranx posted:

pull drive, boot the 7 DVD, repair should fix it.

every
Apr 24, 2008

I'm downloading a DVD image torrent of the MSDN release right now. How do I activate this thing to make it legit? The only things I can find are cracks and illegal serials and such...I just want to pay my money and get this thang. If I download the image, will I be able to do that and get it legitimately activated?

Thanks.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

HeyImSam posted:

I'm downloading a DVD image torrent of the MSDN release right now. How do I activate this thing to make it legit? The only things I can find are cracks and illegal serials and such...I just want to pay my money and get this thang. If I download the image, will I be able to do that and get it legitimately activated?

Thanks.

You will need to purchase a retail box in October once the product launches. You won't be able to activate the install until then.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
How do I add more power configs to the battery hotmenu in the systray?

At the moment, Power Saver and Balanced are there, but I want to add High Performance as well :v:

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008
I'm having an issue with my task manager.

Yesterday I reinstalled Win7 hopefully for the last time since I finally got my key, installed drivers, programs and it was only after I'd been using it for a while that I went to open the task manager.

It opens fine, but whenever I hit "Show processes from all users" or "Resource Monitor" a UAC prompt comes up as expected, hit OK and then a cmd prompt flashes and it and the task manager window just close.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything to do about it?

Another question for everyone: when you hit the "Show processes from all users" in the task manager is the UAC prompt from the Windows Command Processor? Probably a dumb question but I just want to check.

Edit: Turns out it had something to do with adding the Take Ownership keys to the registry. Restored the registry and now the task manager seems to be working fine again.

Weird. It also now never pops up UAC prompts.

rhuagh fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 18, 2009

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I have a performance question.

I installed the RC on a brand new high-end machine, but my husbands matching brand new high-end machine decided to commit suicide, so we hobbled together an older computer while we wait for the motherboard RMA to come back to us. I threw the x64 7100 RC on it because it was here and convenient and this is just temporary anyway so he can browse the internet and play WoW and bitch about how this computer lags more than his Quad Core machine with 8GB of RAM.

The machine is about 6 years old and he was using it as a main machine up until we built the new ones a couple months ago:
CPU: AMD 64 3000
Motherboard: A8N-E
RAM: 2GB
Graphics: nVidia 7900GS

At first I was pretty impressed with how snappy 7 was on it, it felt better than XP used to. WoW is laggy as poo poo in the main cities and has terrible load times, but it didn't seem any worse than it used to be on those machines (it's totally bottle-necked by the CPU, nothing to be done) and is completely playable in raids, just like it was on XP. However, tonight he tried installing Vent on there so he could do some PvP in WoW, and Vent was so laggy he couldn't even transmit while WoW had focus. I don't understand why there was such a huge performance hit. We tried running Vent as admin and it didn't seem to help. WoW is pretty much maxing out the system, but it doesn't seem any worse than it used to be on XP and there was never a performance issue like this before.

Does this sound like something 7 is doing that I can tweak somewhere, or does it sound more like the old computer having problems of its own? Hang in there buddy, they'll send the new motherboard back soon and then you can rest!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

frunksock posted:

I searched the most recent 6 pages -- can someone confirm my reading of the OP that I'll need Ultimate if I want to boot from VHDs? Pro won't do this?
What's the purpose of doing this?

(not being sarcastic, I'm seriously wondering)

SpaceBum
May 1, 2006

Tagra posted:

However, tonight he tried installing Vent on there so he could do some PvP in WoW, and Vent was so laggy he couldn't even transmit while WoW had focus. I don't understand why there was such a huge performance hit. We tried running Vent as admin and it didn't seem to help. WoW is pretty much maxing out the system, but it doesn't seem any worse than it used to be on XP and there was never a performance issue like this before.

Does this sound like something 7 is doing that I can tweak somewhere, or does it sound more like the old computer having problems of its own? Hang in there buddy, they'll send the new motherboard back soon and then you can rest!
This fixed my sound lagging problems w/ quake 3 on the 7100 build:

Set the game to xp compatibility mode then click on the speaker in the systemtray. Then click on the speaker icon at the top of the mixer the audio settings window should pop up. Go to the advanced tab and try a both 16&32bit settings at 44khz.

Because he is using vent when the problem appears you can also try disabling the voip volume control. Click on the desktop computer icon in the volume mixer and going to the communications tab and disabling voip volume control.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
All right, glad to know the windows 7 install disc will fix it. Hadn't tried that yet because I broke my dvd drive (tray open, chair swung into it and broke the tray).

At least now I know in the future to disconnect Other OS hard drives before installing to another.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Xaranx posted:

All right, glad to know the windows 7 install disc will fix it. Hadn't tried that yet because I broke my dvd drive (tray open, chair swung into it and broke the tray).

At least now I know in the future to disconnect Other OS hard drives before installing to another.

There's a guide floating around somewhere to make a bootable USB stick with the Win7 installer on it. You could maybe use that for your repair install while you wait for your new DVD drive to arrive.

Oh and if you disconnect your other OS hard drive when installing you wont be able to dual boot after installing.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Shadowgate posted:

You will need to purchase a retail box in October once the product launches. You won't be able to activate the install until then.

This.

You get 30 days to activate, but if you run SLMGR /REARM from the command prompt just before the 30 days run out, it resets the clock to give you another 30 days. You can do this up to 3 times giving you a little under 120 days.

I pre-ordered Win7 Pro (UK goon, so got the full version, not the upgrade, for cheap) and this is exactly what I'm doing, except mine didn't come from naughty torrents :P

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

frunksock posted:

I searched the most recent 6 pages -- can someone confirm my reading of the OP that I'll need Ultimate if I want to boot from VHDs? Pro won't do this?

According to Wikipedia you'll need Enterprise or Ultimate. I would test this at home but I have Ultimate RTM.

Vinlaen posted:

What's the purpose of doing this?

(not being sarcastic, I'm seriously wondering)

The main purpose is if you want to have a second machine to boot into without actually needing a second machine or paying the performance penalty of a VM. I'm a .NET developer and throwing IIS, SQL Server, VS2008, and all sorts of third party components on my "home" machine slows things down a bit. I can create a VHD and boot into my "development" environment and be ready to rock and roll. Also, if you boot into a VHD only the disk is virtualized not the whole computer stack like a traditional Virtual Machine so you take only a small performance hit.

Scott Hanselman talks about Multibooting vs VHD vs VM

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm running 7 Home Premium Final (legit key from msdn) and so far everything works great. Only issues have been daemon tools and peer guardian. Although a new ver of DT pro supposedly supports 7, but I havent tried it yet,

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

gariig posted:

According to Wikipedia you'll need Enterprise or Ultimate. I would test this at home but I have Ultimate RTM.

As far as software goes, Enterprise and Ultimate are the same version. The only difference between them is the Volume Licensing.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I'm running 7 Home Premium Final (legit key from msdn) and so far everything works great. Only issues have been daemon tools and peer guardian. Although a new ver of DT pro supposedly supports 7, but I havent tried it yet,

As stated a couple of times in this thread. DTLite works if you first install SPTD v1.60 manually then install DTLite.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

GreenNight posted:

Been said before in this thread but grab SPTD 1.60 and install it. That should take care of the issue with the free daemon tools. They only bundled that version with the Pro version, not the free version yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Appreciate the response. Only been following for the past 10 pages, not all 90.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Is there any way to get a toolbar set to use small icons to wrap into a second row or at least center itself in the taskbar?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

When I shrink my icons to small the taskbar itself shrinks. (right click, properties, tick 'use small icons').

If this is what you've done, perhaps move it around the screen to see if it resets it. Otherwise, no idea what's going on, but it should reduce to the smaller, thinner taskbar when small icons are used.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Nam Taf posted:

When I shrink my icons to small the taskbar itself shrinks. (right click, properties, tick 'use small icons').

If this is what you've done, perhaps move it around the screen to see if it resets it. Otherwise, no idea what's going on, but it should reduce to the smaller, thinner taskbar when small icons are used.

That was my problem, I didn't see that you could use small icons for the open programs on the taskbar. It doesn't like mixing large and small icons.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Naffer posted:

That was my problem, I didn't see that you could use small icons for the open programs on the taskbar. It doesn't like mixing large and small icons.
It has to size itself for the largest icons on the bar, not an average or the smallest. I still dont see why anybody would use small icons with win7.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ilkhan posted:

It has to size itself for the largest icons on the bar, not an average or the smallest. I still dont see why anybody would use small icons with win7.

I use small icons on netbooks, and I considered it on my desktop because it still takes up a lot of space that I don't necessarily need.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ilkhan posted:

I use small icons 'cuz it allows me to stack up more pinned items on my taskbar (left edge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

deep square leg posted:

It's not that I don't like screensavers, it's just that I set my monitor to switch off after five minutes. I'm stingy.
I have a program that puts the screens to sleep soon as I lock the comp. Its 100W between the 2, so its worth saving.