Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

ilkhan posted:

I have a program that puts the screens to sleep soon as I lock the comp. Its 100W between the 2, so its worth saving.
What's it called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piney
Oct 14, 2003
In XP I have no problems getting my secondary display, a Samsung HDTV to work. In Windows 7 however, it is detected in Windows but refuses to display an image, even at the right resolution. What's going on here?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

wang souffle posted:

What's it called?
http://code.google.com/p/monitores/

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
did anyone ever have any luck with the realtek popping issue? I've tried a couple of different driver packs now, and I'm about ready to plug in my old audigy 2 platinum ex and just see what happens :) that breakout box sure was nice, come to think of it...

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

thrawn86 posted:

did anyone ever have any luck with the realtek popping issue? I've tried a couple of different driver packs now, and I'm about ready to plug in my old audigy 2 platinum ex and just see what happens :) that breakout box sure was nice, come to think of it...

Some people claim the default Windows drivers solve the popping issue, or at least lessen its occurrence, but I haven't tried it yet. The official Realtek drivers are absolute poo poo and the problem has persisted since at least February.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Oooh I am so excited. I just found out my laptop is eligible for a free upgrade to Win7. Already filled out the forms and am hopeful that my touch media buttons will have driver updates made by the time official release is out.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 19, 2009

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

toxick posted:

Some people claim the default Windows drivers solve the popping issue, or at least lessen its occurrence, but I haven't tried it yet. The official Realtek drivers are absolute poo poo and the problem has persisted since at least February.

what suprised me is that this instal refused to load a default driver, when every other install did just fine. vista, RC1, etc. rather, it installs "high definition audio device, but it doesn't work. it also pulls up an unknown "other device" called NTativrv01. wtf.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
(on moving gadgets to the far right-hand side of the screen so that the controls hang off the edge so that the gadget itself is flush with the edge of the screen)

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hold shift while you move them and they won't snap.
Thanks. However, while this worked while I did it, when I rebooted, they reverted to their previous "pushed left enough so the space occupied by the controls pushes them away from the edge" position. I tried setting and rebooting several times. Any ideas?

Relatedly, the display won't shut down after my designated timeout. My netbook is an MSI Wind U100.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Firingsquad did a comparo of a bunch of different games under XP, Vista, and 7. I'll save you from reading completely unexciting results. On nearly every game there was less than a few FPS difference between the OS's.

XP really won on only one game: ARMA II. Who gives a gently caress about that game anyway?

One other difference was that Vista and Seven performed better than XP with multi-GPU setups.

In other news: For those who were complaing about Windows Live Movie Maker...they're releasing a new version today.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

thrawn86 posted:

what suprised me is that this instal refused to load a default driver, when every other install did just fine. vista, RC1, etc. rather, it installs "high definition audio device, but it doesn't work. it also pulls up an unknown "other device" called NTativrv01. wtf.

A web search says that NTativrv01 is related to ATI video cards. Odd that that would relate to sound drivers?

I have an Asus P5Q motherboard and the default windows driver works better than the official drivers except the microphone produces a high pitch tone. But I don't use the Mic on that card so I guess it's ok.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Squibbles posted:

A web search says that NTativrv01 is related to ATI video cards. Odd that that would relate to sound drivers?

Lots of ATI cards show up as a sound card as well in order to provide HDMI audio.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Squibbles posted:

Some video cards act as a simplified, digital-only audio device now so that you can send audio through them over HDMI. It shouldn't affect his original problem with the Realtek drivers, though.

(Beaten!)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Ah, that explains why the Realtek download site has a driver for "ATI HDMI Audio Device" available too

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Did any of you guys with the Realtek issues compare hardware configurations? There must be some common link there somewhere, I've setup 7 for a bunch of people now with the latest RT Win7 64bit drivers and had no issues. It's probably a driver bug/conflict related to some specific component.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

SpaceBum posted:

This fixed my sound lagging problems w/ quake 3 on the 7100 build:

Set the game to xp compatibility mode then click on the speaker in the systemtray. Then click on the speaker icon at the top of the mixer the audio settings window should pop up. Go to the advanced tab and try a both 16&32bit settings at 44khz.

Because he is using vent when the problem appears you can also try disabling the voip volume control. Click on the desktop computer icon in the volume mixer and going to the communications tab and disabling voip volume control.

God maybe I should take this to Haus... but I messed with it some more last night trying to get it to work. I tried a couple compatibility modes and he even messed around trying to give the program a higher processor thread priority or something (I didn't see what he did, that's just what he said he tried) and nothing changed.

It seems to be that Vent is running, but the Push-To-Talk key is SO laggy that he has to hold it down for a good 3-4 seconds before vent registers that it's down. After that it transmits perfectly. But when you're in the middle of PvP or whatever, you can't sit around holding the drat button down waiting to yell at your teammates. Also if he leaves the mic open they'll hear him cursing at them, heh. When Vent has focus, it works perfectly. It just seems like it's not getting enough memory when it's not in focus, so the UI is laggy as gently caress.

Is there an option in 7 somewhere to give more memory to the background programs, WITHOUT sucking memory away from WoW which is already hogging it all?

They shipped the motherboard today so we should have his good computer back up within a week or so (god I hope everything loving works when we get that back) but I'd still like to see if I can solve this problem.

Possibly related, the same computer has difficulty even running Flash. I know it's not a very powerful computer anymore, but really? I expect WoW to lag a certain amount but Flash? We never had issues like this on XP... is it because 7 is just harder to run on this hardware(doubtful from what I've heard) or is something buggered?

Stats again were:
AMD64 3000
A8N-E
2GB PC3200 RAM
nVidia 7900GS

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
If an MSDN account is 250 a year, why dont more people just get the thing, get a few serials, then cancel the account? Do the keys go bad?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Did any of you guys with the Realtek issues compare hardware configurations? There must be some common link there somewhere, I've setup 7 for a bunch of people now with the latest RT Win7 64bit drivers and had no issues. It's probably a driver bug/conflict related to some specific component.

I installed Windows 7 on a system with an AMD Phenom II 550, and the sound was fine. I shut down, changed the processor to an Athlon II 250, and now the sound is garbled.
Nothing else changed. That makes no sense to me.

This is with the default windows drivers for onboard Realtek HD audio.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

If an MSDN account is 250 a year, why dont more people just get the thing, get a few serials, then cancel the account? Do the keys go bad?

There's a certain honor system to the legalese. They don't "expire," but you're not supposed to use them in a production environment (i.e. on a system that directly makes money). MSDN exists to give developers and testers an easy way to test stuff, so they can install a couple of VMs and not have to worry about what it's costing them. It's NOT supposed to be a replacement for buying permanent license for a non-test system, even though many people do exactly this.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Munkaboo posted:

Why jump through those hoops instead of just pirating it if you're not going to use a legal copy anyway?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

Why jump through those hoops instead of just pirating it if you're not going to use a legal copy anyway?

Jumping through hoops gets you your own key, that only you have.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a way in to create a user that can't login? I want to have a user that can access a share, but nothing else.

If that isn't possible, is there a way to at least not show that user at the startup screen?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Xenomorph posted:

Jumping through hoops gets you your own key, that only you have.

And pirating means you don't even need a key. So what's your point? It's against the rules and they both are just as easy and undetectable.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

uXs posted:

Is there a way in to create a user that can't login? I want to have a user that can access a share, but nothing else.

If that isn't possible, is there a way to at least not show that user at the startup screen?
Pull up the 'Local Security Policy' program, look under Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment for the 'Deny log on locally' entry, and add the user to that. There's one for remote desktop access too, if that's a concern.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Casao posted:

And pirating means you don't even need a key. So what's your point? It's against the rules and they both are just as easy and undetectable.

Using my own key along with software direct from Microsoft means I'm using an "authentic" copy, and not a hacked/patched/modified dirty copy from some warez site.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I need some advice on how to tackle a flatten and re-install. I've got an msdnaa copy of 7 pro x64 for my desktop, but I have a slight problem. I'm a member of a few private bittorrent trackers, and I want to make sure I can resume seeding all of the torrents (50-75ish torrents right now) right away when I get set up. I use the current version of uTorrent. Should I just write down what all my drives are lettered, back up the data files folder for uTorrent, do the reinstall, re-letter my drives and then drop the folder back in place?

I also got an x86 copy for my laptop. It's a dell latitude d820. Does anybody know if they have all the necessary drivers and such available for windows 7, or should I just upgrade that to the copy of Vista Ultimate that I have on my desktop now?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

mobn posted:

I need some advice on how to tackle a flatten and re-install. I've got an msdnaa copy of 7 pro x64 for my desktop, but I have a slight problem. I'm a member of a few private bittorrent trackers, and I want to make sure I can resume seeding all of the torrents (50-75ish torrents right now) right away when I get set up. I use the current version of uTorrent. Should I just write down what all my drives are lettered, back up the data files folder for uTorrent, do the reinstall, re-letter my drives and then drop the folder back in place?

I also got an x86 copy for my laptop. It's a dell latitude d820. Does anybody know if they have all the necessary drivers and such available for windows 7, or should I just upgrade that to the copy of Vista Ultimate that I have on my desktop now?

1) Back up the data
2) Back up the .torrent files
3) Format/reinstall
4) Set download directory, place data in download directory
5) Run torrents

uTorrent should run through a check of the files, determine they match the .torrent file and begin to seed. You lose your local %, but it's a lot easier than resetting drive letters and crazy stuff.

Fabio Lanzoni
Nov 9, 2006
When I listen to a solo, I think of a duo
I've noticed that watching videos in Windows Media Player uses almost no CPU, even a 1080p .mov uses ~5% of my E6600. Is there something new going on in regards to how Win 7 handles it? Is it being offloaded to the GPU automagically? In Vista it would use the CPU much more heavily

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fabio Lanzoni posted:

I've noticed that watching videos in Windows Media Player uses almost no CPU, even a 1080p .mov uses ~5% of my E6600. Is there something new going on in regards to how Win 7 handles it? Is it being offloaded to the GPU automagically? In Vista it would use the CPU much more heavily

Yes it it does that as a matter of fact. Cool eh.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

well I deleted and reinstalled everything again from my motherboard driver cd instead of the realtek site and it seems to be working for now...

for reference:
gigabyte ep43 ud3l
e5x00 300x12
4gb @ 800mhz
ati x1800xt
win7 pro (legit)

Fabio Lanzoni
Nov 9, 2006
When I listen to a solo, I think of a duo
^^
Very cool, I have a crappy HD2400 and it works great

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Casao posted:

1) Back up the data
2) Back up the .torrent files
3) Format/reinstall
4) Set download directory, place data in download directory
5) Run torrents

uTorrent should run through a check of the files, determine they match the .torrent file and begin to seed. You lose your local %, but it's a lot easier than resetting drive letters and crazy stuff.

These files are all over the place though. They're on three different drives in almost a dozen directories. It would be an insane pain in the rear end to assign all those directories manually again in uTorrent.

edit: I should point out, there's four hard drives on this system. The only drive that's getting formatted is the smallest drive in the machine, my C drive. I don't want to move any of the other data if I don't have to.

Bad Habit
Apr 26, 2008

mobn posted:

These files are all over the place though. They're on three different drives in almost a dozen directories. It would be an insane pain in the rear end to assign all those directories manually again in uTorrent.

edit: I should point out, there's four hard drives on this system. The only drive that's getting formatted is the smallest drive in the machine, my C drive. I don't want to move any of the other data if I don't have to.

Sounds like you're in the same situation as I was in about a week ago.

I ended up backing up the uTorrent folder in Program Files and the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\uTorrent" (using XP, probably a similar folder in Vista).

I placed the uTorrent folder from Application Data in XP into "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Application Data" on Windows 7, started up uTorrent (after having reassigned my drive letters so they matched) and all torrents were there as if nothing had changed at all.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I have discovered that using Winkey+1 will open your first pinned program (or focus the window if it's already open), Winkey+2 the second... and so on. Which is pretty neat. Except that I keep re-discovering it while playing fast-paced online games trying to hit Ctrl-# hotkeys... :doh:
I've pretty much solved it by pinning those programs up where I'm likely to hit the wrong keys, so that it re-focuses that window instead of trying to open a totally new program for me, but if anyone knows of a way to simply disable the feature it would be nice too. I poked through the taskbar menus but didn't see anything about shortcut hotkeys, hmm. I don't want to disable the winkey or ALL windows hotkeys, just that specific one :/

Tagra fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 21, 2009

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

mobn posted:

If those are NTFS drives, make sure you use the same name and password as on your old install or be prepared for some permissions nightmare.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

JoeCitizen posted:

If those are NTFS drives, make sure you use the same name and password as on your old install or be prepared for some permissions nightmare.

They are NTFS drives, and I always use the administrator account because it's less hassle, so that shouldn't be a problem.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

JoeCitizen posted:

The GUID will be different on a new account anyway though?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Two quick questions, although they are related to IE8 instead of Windows 7 but I think it might still be relevant...

1) Can you have new windows open as tabs instead? (just like FireFox)

2) Can you have your saved passwords automatically populate the username and password automatically? (again, like FireFox) Right now you must type in your username and then it automatically fills in your password but I HATE this because I'll tab out of the username and start typing my password (thinking that it's not saved) and I end up screwing it up because the autofill will have activated.

I think I'd like to use IE8 with Windows 7 but those two things are killing me. (...and no Adblock Plus, but I guess I could live without that)

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Vinlaen posted:

I think I'd like to use IE8 with Windows 7

Why? It obviously isn't as featured as you want it to be, so just use a better browser.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Vinlaen posted:

1) Can you have new windows open as tabs instead? (just like FireFox)

Yes:

1. IE Options.
2. General Tab.
3. Settings button next to Tabs.
4. In the bottom section select "A new tab in the current window".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vinlaen posted:

(...and no Adblock Plus, but I guess I could live without that)
While it may be possible, I don't think I'd really WANT to. Although, strangely, it doesn't kill the SA banner below threads.