Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

baberaham lincoln posted:

nope, I mean I'm not too too into Converge in the first place, but it sounds like Dragonforce or something at the very beginning. Gross...

I was thinking the same thing, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Dragonforce? Really? I mean, its a metallic riff, but these guys have been playing extreme metal for a while and you have to try new things

Converge has almost always used metallic riffs, they just used to be a bit more dark and brooding and generally harder than the one showcased in the new song. This just sounds really goofy and insincere until about 1:30 in...

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
But but but it's EXTREME METAL.

EXTREME!!!!

:colbert:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

baberaham lincoln posted:

Converge has almost always used metallic riffs, they just used to be a bit more dark and brooding and generally harder than the one showcased in the new song. This just sounds really goofy and insincere until about 1:30 in...

I'm fine if they want to branch out now and then. They've been using the same types of riffs (not to be confused with the same riffs) for what, 6 albums now? Besides, it's only one song. I'll reserve my judgment for later.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Parachute Underwear posted:

I'm fine if they want to branch out now and then. They've been using the same types of riffs (not to be confused with the same riffs) for what, 6 albums now? Besides, it's only one song. I'll reserve my judgment for later.

and it does turn really really good near 2 minutes.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Dragonforce? Really? I mean, its a metallic riff, but these guys have been playing extreme metal for a while and you have to try new things

They should've tried something new within their own song instead of taking one boring sounding riff and repeating it for nearly a whole song, followed by a bridge and a breakdown.

I'll still listen to the album when it comes out but I'm not really expecting much. There will be a ton of kids that will eat this poo poo up though just because it's Converge.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Also lol at calling it extreme metal.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

albear posted:

They should've tried something new within their own song instead of taking one boring sounding riff and repeating it for nearly a whole song, followed by a bridge and a breakdown.

I guess, but it is just one song and I don't think it sounds all that unoriginal or anything. I guess it isn't breaking down musical genres but I don't want my Converge to always try and do that

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
New Banner Pilot is loving awesome.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I guess, but it is just one song and I don't think it sounds all that unoriginal or anything. I guess it isn't breaking down musical genres but I don't want my Converge to always try and do that

They already did some of that earlier in their career anyways.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Angiepants posted:

New Banner Pilot is loving awesome.

Haven't listened to it all the way through yet, but so far, yes, it's loving rad.

Casey Chaos
Jul 31, 2006

I'm slogging SSF4
Posted this in the metalcore thread but apparently it's more suitable here. Just finished mixing a demo with my new band which I suppose could be classed as hardcore. Probably for fans of Converge/Architects. I'd greatly appreciate some feedback from people who've been listening to the genre longer than I! Apologies about the crappy hosting.

http://rapidshare.de/files/48158369/01_Dutch_Disease.mp3.html

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Casey Chaos posted:

Posted this in the metalcore thread but apparently it's more suitable here. Just finished mixing a demo with my new band which I suppose could be classed as hardcore. Probably for fans of Converge/Architects. I'd greatly appreciate some feedback from people who've been listening to the genre longer than I! Apologies about the crappy hosting.

http://rapidshare.de/files/48158369/01_Dutch_Disease.mp3.html

Nah, it definitely fits in the metalcore thread.

Or maybe just join a band that plays music like this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLKPqznMOU

It's much better music.

albear fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 20, 2009

pig guts
Apr 12, 2008

albear posted:

Nah, it definitely fits in the metalcore thread.

Or maybe just join a band that plays music like this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLKPqznMOU

It's much better music.

That (which rules), or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StB5oWeHfzU

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

Any of you guys ever heard of Shere Khan? One of the kids i went to highschool with is brothers with the lead singer. I guess they are pretty good though, i really only care for this one song though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfa-jkMjzEk

What do you all think?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

It's like Terror but somehow worse. I love youth crew and more old school style stuff but honestly the only thing that comes to mind when I see that is "Chyeah brah!".

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Haha I love Shere Khan. They are very bro but still, they will smack you with their guitar

edit: i used to call you friend, now im kicking your teeth in

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Haha I love Shere Khan.

Why am I not surprised?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

rivals posted:

Why am I not surprised?

Idk you are clearly the "right" hardcore fan so any band I like is obviously lovely

nah but seriously shere khan are pretty cool they are pretty closely connected to Black My Heart, who is not all that great but I have fond memories of jamming "thick as blood"

also, I saw them one time at the Meridian in houston with COA and Fight Like Hell who honestly put on a much better show than BMH

albear
Jun 7, 2001

The only Shere Khan worth mentioning is The Revenge of Shere Khan by Rhino Charge.

pig guts
Apr 12, 2008

Shere Kahn and that whole incestuous group of bands were all godawful. Just sayin.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I guess they are pretty awful in simple, brodown kind of way
COA and Fight Like Hell are not awful however

pig guts
Apr 12, 2008

Nah I like COA. Colin is a cool dude.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

skull pressure posted:

Nah I like COA. Colin is a cool dude.

Never met Colin, but I too like COA. Fight Like Hell, on the other hand, is an atrocity...

BTW, the new Vicious Cycles RULES.

DRD
Aug 8, 2008

The Bouncing Souls/Lifetime show was amazing. I've never been to a show that big without a barrier. The amount of kids stage diving was ridiculous. No one seemed to know how to catch them though so way too many people were dropped.

The new Bouncing Souls songs sounded pretty good live. They're still doing that acoustic cover of Hybrid Moments though.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

rivals posted:

The obvious answer is only if they play Diary in its entirety.

Yeah I dig How It Feels To Be Something On maybe more but I bet if I go it's going to be like a Rush concert.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
In the next 2 months I have these shows coming up, but I really doubt I can make it to ALL of them, so which ones would you recommend I absolutely must see?

Avengers/Pansy Division
Have Heart/Ceremony
Dredg/Rx Bandits
Bad Brains (are they still any good live? almost $30 worth good?)
Dillinger 4/Riverboat Gamblers
The Gaslight Anthem
The Get Up Kids
These Arms Are Snakes
The Queers/TA80
The Jesus Lizard
Strike Anywhere/Ruiner/Crime in Stereo
Melt Banana

AHHHH TOO MANY SHOWS IN TOO SHORT A TIME!

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
The 4 most appealing to me...

* Have Heart
* Bad Brains (still loving spectacular)
* Get Up Kids
*Strike Anywhere

liwet
Jan 1, 2006

Are you loathsome tonight?
Man, that's a nice list. Got to agree with the 4 choices above me but also I had a really good time at a Gaslight Anthem show earlier this year, even if I did end up completely dicking up my finger. (fractured one joint, sprained the other, never healed right)

I have tickets for the Flatliners, Frank Turner and Ghost Of A Thousand. Particularly amped about the Flatliners.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The hell is wrong with you people not recommending the Queers and D4

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
TAAS are awesome live, see them.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

JERFit posted:

In the next 2 months I have these shows coming up, but I really doubt I can make it to ALL of them, so which ones would you recommend I absolutely must see?

Avengers/Pansy Division
Have Heart/Ceremony
Dredg/Rx Bandits
Dillinger 4/Riverboat Gamblers
The Gaslight Anthem
The Get Up Kids
These Arms Are Snakes
The Queers/TA80
The Jesus Lizard
Melt Banana

AHHHH TOO MANY SHOWS IN TOO SHORT A TIME!

Are you the guy who posted a similar list on Punknews?

Anyway, D4/RG and TAAS for sure.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

JERFit posted:

Have Heart/Ceremony
Dredg/Rx Bandits MAYBE
The Get Up Kids

That's my list.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO

Are you the guy who posted a similar list on Punknews?

Anyway, D4/RG and TAAS for sure.

Heh, no I'm not, but I did see that list, they're very similar because we live in the same city. Really I probably should've just gone back and read the responses to that, but I forgot what story it was written in.

I'm gonna be so broke these next few months, but its going to be so worth it.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

What do you guys think of Modern Life is War? they are easily one of my favorite bands. They don't have a single song that i do not like and i listen to them all the loving time. I am trying to find some other bands that sound like them because they are broken up now and i will never get to hear any new songs :smith:

So i guess this post is sort of an interest check as well as looking for bands that are VERY similiar to MLIW.

Outsiders baby!

acup
Sep 11, 2001

RODSTEEL posted:

What do you guys think of Modern Life is War? they are easily one of my favorite bands. They don't have a single song that i do not like and i listen to them all the loving time. I am trying to find some other bands that sound like them because they are broken up now and i will never get to hear any new songs :smith:

So i guess this post is sort of an interest check as well as looking for bands that are VERY similiar to MLIW.

Outsiders baby!

First two albums were good, last one suuuuuucked.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

acup posted:

First two albums were good, last one suuuuuucked.

This. I was so disappointed with the last one :(

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

i liked all of them :(

acup
Sep 11, 2001

RODSTEEL posted:

i liked all of them :(

It's cool. I was really really excited for it, but was really really let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

So what are some other (VERY) similiar bands to MLIW?