Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I'm not sure when it was dropped, but it is indeed true. He would ramble about reclaiming his birthright and whatnot in his promos against Hogan.

I believe Bash at the Beach 1996 in particular had one these promos, but I don't think it lasted very far into the nWo era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!

Gordy posted:

I spent an entire hour looking for them yesterday, couldn't find either of them, then found them both in the past 5 minutes. Here's Billzerosion's profile if anyone cares: http://www.youtube.com/user/billzeroism
RobViper's original account was closed by Youtube. He currently has another account their called RobViper3.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

apsouthern posted:

I was reading Big Show's entry in Kendo Nagasaki's Grapple Manual recently, and he mentions that when "The Giant" was introduced in WCW he has supposed to be Andre the Giant's son out for revenge. I'd never heard this before - is it true? And if so, how long did it last before it was dropped?

From memory, yes it's true. He blamed Hogan for his "fathers" death. It don't think it lasted long at all.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

EvilMuppet posted:

From memory, yes it's true. He blamed Hogan for his "fathers" death. It don't think it lasted long at all.

It also led to a funny moment when the Giant joined the NWO, when Scott Hall asked if he was really Andre's son. Big Show looked really pissed and said "Don't go there".

TV's Nate
Jan 7, 2004
Brought to you by the Booze Council, reminding you that booze makes ugly women attractive and improves your conversational skills.

EvilMuppet posted:

God that whole thing was so stupid. They were filming something outside (maybe talking up Thunder in Paradise or something, I can't remember) and Giant walks up and throws a poofy white shirt at Hogan, shouting "REMEMBER THIS?!?" Apparently Andre's clothing was incredibly distinctive because Hogan knew immediately that that was ANDRE'S SHIRT, BROTHER.

I think the Andre's Son bit only lasted for as long as he was in the Dungeon of Doom, once he was away from the circus they spun it into something less silly.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

TV's Nate posted:

God that whole thing was so stupid. They were filming something outside (maybe talking up Thunder in Paradise or something, I can't remember) and Giant walks up and throws a poofy white shirt at Hogan, shouting "REMEMBER THIS?!?" Apparently Andre's clothing was incredibly distinctive because Hogan knew immediately that that was ANDRE'S SHIRT, BROTHER.

I think the Andre's Son bit only lasted for as long as he was in the Dungeon of Doom, once he was away from the circus they spun it into something less silly.

It was Bash at the Beach 1995 and the shirt was his WWF one, I believe. This one http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Andre-T...p3286.m20.l1116

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I was watching Wrestlemania 18 and I am seriously disappointed that the Austin vs Hall feud ended that way it did: it just stopped. Why did you have to be a drunk bastard, Scott???? :(

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
So... do you want us to answer that question?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Woops! Wondering if anyone felt the same way about the feud.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I thought Austin had to be talked into it in the first place. Can't blame him too much, that was like getting stuck with the fat chick while Rock went home with her hot friend. I'm not trying to be creepy, that's just the best analogy I could think of.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

I thought Austin had to be talked into it in the first place. Can't blame him too much, that was like getting stuck with the fat chick while Rock went home with her hot friend. I'm not trying to be creepy, that's just the best analogy I could think of.

Wasn't Nash supposed to face someone at WM18 too but pulled the, I'm sick/injured card?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

KungFu Grip posted:

Wasn't Nash supposed to face someone at WM18 too but pulled the, I'm sick/injured card?
Nope. He did a run-in.

Edit: Looked it up. He was in Hall's corner, basically making it a handicap match.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Nope. He did a run-in.

Edit: Looked it up. He was in Hall's corner, basically making it a handicap match.

Nash was set up as Hall's manager so that he could step in if Hall hadn't held off drinking till after Wrestlemania.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
"Look out! He's got a gun!"
*Fires net*

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

As with WCW, Vince killed the nWo and didn't let them get any heat at all and he did it almost right away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

As with WCW, Vince killed the nWo and didn't let them get any heat at all and he did it almost right away.

Leaving the nWo with a lifetime victory/comeuppance ratio of 452,765 to 2.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

how DID the nwo die in wcw?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

grody but still def posted:

They never did. They just stopped being around after three years the first time and after about six months the second.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

While this is true, I don't see how it was good for business to bring in Hall, Nash and Hogan and not actually play the angle out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

While this is true, I don't see how it was good for business to bring in Hall, Nash and Hogan and not actually play the angle out.

It was a victim of circumstance, Nash got injured, Hall got drunk(er) and Hogan hit the nostalgic revitalization zone and drunk deep of those heady waters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

grody but still def posted:

The third one ended when Russo came back, and rebooted the company.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think the NWO's final death is incredibly apropos: Vince McMahon walking out and saying, "Yeah, I'm done with this", as if he was in control of it all along.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

It was a victim of circumstance, Nash got injured, Hall got drunk(er) and Hogan hit the nostalgic revitalization zone and drunk deep of those heady waters.
I maintain that the proper response is to turn them babyface and keep Hogan with them, then bring in Steiner to be the third man.

TV's Nate
Jan 7, 2004
Brought to you by the Booze Council, reminding you that booze makes ugly women attractive and improves your conversational skills.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

It was Bash at the Beach 1995 and the shirt was his WWF one, I believe. This one http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Andre-T...p3286.m20.l1116

Naw, it was just a white poofy-sleeved shirt that looked vaguely similar to what Andre wore in Princess Bride, and Hogan uses his keen shirt senses to deduce that it belonged to the twelve foot monster that he slammed through the earth's crust in front of ten million people. Actually, Andre probably threw his laundry at Hulk all the time back in the day, maybe that's what sparked his memory.

Check it out, about 2:20 in. I must have seen that on a replay or something, I didn't remember it being on a PPV at all.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9pekg_07161995-the-giant-confronts-hogan_sport

Afterwards, of course, Giant turned himself into a stone wall carving and waited for Kevin Sullivan to teleport the Hulkster into his lair. Andre probably had that in his will: "Toss my laundry at Hulk one last time then attack him in the strangest way possible."

TV's Nate fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 23, 2009

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
Ugh my mind is failing me pretty badly right now, and I've tried googling it but can't find it. Who was that terrible guest commentator from some early 90's PPV who kept asking how much everyone weighed, and all around knew nothing about wrestling and I think even kept getting wrestlers names wrong? I remember him particularly in what I think was a Razor Ramon/Mr.Perfect match.

Thorias fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 23, 2009

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Thorias posted:

Ugh my mind is failing me pretty badly right now, and I've tried googling it but can't find it. Who was that terrible guest commentator from some early 90's PPV who kept asking how much everyone weighed, and all around knew nothing about wrestling and I think even kept getting wrestlers names wrong? I remember him particularly in what I think was a Razor Ramon/Mr.Perfect match.

Art Donovan?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

TL posted:

I think the NWO's final death is incredibly apropos: Vince McMahon walking out and saying, "Yeah, I'm done with this", as if he was in control of it all along.

Vince should just do this with every failed angle. It'd be like The Gong Show. They'd have some segment, he'd come out and just say "Alright, get out of here, you're done."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

Vince should just do this with every failed angle. It'd be like The Gong Show. They'd have some segment, he'd come out and just say "Alright, get out of here, you're done."
There was a time, when TNA was still awesome, when Jim Cornette did exactly this. He set up a podium and just went all, "Team Canada?" Snapped his fingers and said, "Gone."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah but I'm saying Vince should do it when it's clearly going nowhere, not years after the fact.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I honestly, genuinely enjoyed when Eric Bischoff would come out all exasparated on RAW and say,"What are you doing? What is this? You're boring me! You're BORING ME! I'm giving you exactly.... 3 Minutes :smug:.... to impress me."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I honestly, genuinely enjoyed when Eric Bischoff would come out all exasparated on RAW and say,"What are you doing? What is this? You're boring me! You're BORING ME! I'm giving you exactly.... 3 Minutes :smug:.... to impress me."
It's incredibly frustrating to go through periods of wrestling where the folks making the decisions CLEARLY know what isn't working and change it or kill it, only to be exposed to years of ignorance after the fact.

Three minute warning needs to come back.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Jerusalem posted:

Add the fact that they were stiff as hell at first and you have that 3MW owned.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

nyratk1 posted:

Add the fact that they were stiff as hell at first and you have that 3MW owned.

I remember when they killed Mae Young and Moolah. My god that was kind of hard to watch.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7eO8mU2xNY

Even in the phoney world of wrestling you wince at it aye

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.
So here's a question I've always been somewhat curious about. Does anyone know why the nWo said, 'Too sweet,' the way they did? I always thought it was something peculiar.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
During 1997 in the heated Canada vs. U.S. feud, there was that guy named the Patriot who wore an American Flag on his mask. But, I don't seem to remember him doing anything. Can someone tell me? Also, why did Brian Pillman join the Hart Foundation, other than he was a heel?

And, I remember when Goldust became the Artist Formerly Known As Goldust, and he just wore weirder costumes. I have heard the reasoning for this change was that Vince was trying to take a shot at the high art community, but I don't understand why that would be. Plus, what did the Artist do during this time period in terms of feuds.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Twin Cinema posted:

During 1997 in the heated Canada vs. U.S. feud, there was that guy named the Patriot who wore an American Flag on his mask. But, I don't seem to remember him doing anything. Can someone tell me? Also, why did Brian Pillman join the Hart Foundation, other than he was a heel?

The Patriot, real name Del Wilkes, was a gimmick that started win GWF in Texas. Vince thought it had potential, so he brought him in to the WWF. He sucked. Pillman joined the Hart Foundation because he was trained in the Hart Dungeon and started his career in Calgary.

quote:

And, I remember when Goldust became the Artist Formerly Known As Goldust, and he just wore weirder costumes. I have heard the reasoning for this change was that Vince was trying to take a shot at the high art community, but I don't understand why that would be. Plus, what did the Artist do during this time period in terms of feuds.

Never heard that explaination. I think it was a combo of Russo being wacky, making a reference to Prince, and making him fit a Marilyn Manson gimmick. His main feuds were with Vader and Mark Mero, I think.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

The Patriot was poo poo. I think Pillman joined the Hart Foundation because of a mutual hatred of Austin but I could be wrong :shobon:

e; i guess im wrong

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Twin Cinema posted:

During 1997 in the heated Canada vs. U.S. feud, there was that guy named the Patriot who wore an American Flag on his mask. But, I don't seem to remember him doing anything. Can someone tell me?
He didn't do much except be another American foil to Hart Foundation, had a title shot against Bret at Ground Zero and got injured soon after and was released.

quote:

Also, why did Brian Pillman join the Hart Foundation, other than he was a heel?
He had been in Stampede at the beginning of his career and had a common storyline hatred of Austin with Bret.

quote:

The TAFKA Goldust poo poo was some Vince Russo poo poo (I think the storyline reason was that his breakup with Marlena made him more crazy) and there were really only the feuds with Vader and Mero. He also added Luna along the line for further annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Thanks for all the info. My memories of 1997-1999 wrestling are so fragmented that I can only remember the wrestlers being on television, but I can't remember why they were there. For example, I remember the Oddities and all of their members (which, unfortunately, includes ICP), but I don't remember any of their main feuds or any match featuring them. Wikipedia tells me they feuded with Kaientai, but I don't remember that at all.