Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Scratch2k posted:

I use this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5630

(site is in Australia, so don't try and order unless you're are too)

and it fits perfectly in my old antec mini tower despite it having those wacky side mounted rails which you usually screw in to the side of the optical drives, I just slid it in and it fit nice and snug...no sata or power connectors but it does have a cooling fan.
This looks pretty much perfect, thank you. One of the newegg reviews says it fits fine in an Antec Solo (which I think is identical to my P150 other than color scheme).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I also use the Cooler Master 4-in-3. Works great and even has a built-in fan (but it seems to be very, very low power and doesn't move a lot of air). It also fit fine in my generic case.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Hey guys, thanks for your help earlier with my Raid 5 setup. We'll see if it fixes everything, but I have a question for you all.

I had ordered a replacement Velociraptor before this last "fix". It's currently still in all of it's packaging. The money would be nice to get back; however, could I justify it and keep the raptor? That'd have me using the 300GB for my OS, applications/games, and the Raid 5 of three 500GB WD Caviar Blacks for media/storage.

Will I see a boost in application load times and overall application performance?

Guys, I apologize for bumping this but does anyone know if it'd be worth it to keep the raptor? Thanks.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

This is as good a place as any to post this question I guess. I have a 2TB NAS box on my home network, and I have 4 machines I need to do backups on. If they die, I need to be able to put a new drive in, restore the image over the network and get the machine up as quick as possible with no problems. What software package do you guys use to accomplish this? Acronis Home doesn't appear to handle restores over the network, but I'm liking what I see about R-Drive.

Ideas?

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

XakEp posted:

This is as good a place as any to post this question I guess. I have a 2TB NAS box on my home network, and I have 4 machines I need to do backups on. If they die, I need to be able to put a new drive in, restore the image over the network and get the machine up as quick as possible with no problems. What software package do you guys use to accomplish this? Acronis Home doesn't appear to handle restores over the network, but I'm liking what I see about R-Drive.

Ideas?

I think this would be a great reason to use Ghost.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

TeMpLaR posted:

I think this would be a great reason to use Ghost.

Or Clonezilla looks like it'll do that for free if spending money is an issue. (note, I haven't used it over a network before, I'm just using it with a usb hard drive, but the option is there)

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch

NZAmoeba posted:

Or Clonezilla looks like it'll do that for free if spending money is an issue. (note, I haven't used it over a network before, I'm just using it with a usb hard drive, but the option is there)

We clone with Clonezilla over the network all the time. It works great - so much so that we stopped buying upgrades to Ghost.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
I need some advice on how to best fix my current storage situation. Right now I've got a WHS, and I absolutely love all of the features, but I no longer trust it. I know back before PP1 they had data corruption issues, so I waited until they did a redesign to adopt and everything has gone swimmingly since then - until last week. Last week, I got a notification that about 15 files had become corrupt. I talked to the WHS guys and it seems that my data is lost. They think it might be due to a hard drive that's about to fail, but I've got redundancy enabled on the folder, and guess what - my files are still gone! I'm not sure what the point of redundancy is if when a single hard drive goes bad, you still lose files. :argh: Because of this, I want to move away from WHS as the method of protecting my data.

I've got two client PCs at home - my regular desktop and a HTPC running Windows Media Center (both Vista, upgrading to 7 soon). The WHS is my old desktop, so the specs on it are rather lackluster - it's got an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo and a Barton 2800+. I've got 4 drives, 2x200GB IDE and 2x750GB SATA II (the board only has 2 SATA I connections).

I use my WHS for a variety of functions, beyond just the out-of-box stuff. The server also: streams music to computers outside the network with Firefly Media Server, houses an FTP server, runs uTorrent, gets all of my recorded TV shows (from my HTPC) dumped onto it automatically, renames said episodes and converts the files to H.264, manages anti-virus on my two client PCs (Avast!), and a couple of other minor things.

As I see it, I have a couple mix-and-match options if I want to move away from WHS as my backup solution. For the file storage itself, I think I'll either buy a Drobo or move to a RAID-5 configuration. For the computer / OS, I'd either build a brand new server and sell my current one, add a RAID controller card to my current box that can actually support more than 2 SATA drives, or get rid of the server altogether and move all of it's functionality to my desktop. For the OS itself, keeping WHS is tempting for it's other features (nightly backups of attached PCs, auto-zip when downloading files remotely) and just turn off duplication. This however, isn't supported, and the maximum size of an MBR drive is 2TB, so apparently I'd have to change the drive to GPT - I've never used GPT, so this makes me a bit nervous that there could be other issues. My other option would be to just put Win 2k8 on it. I don't want to move to Linux simply because of all of the Windows apps that I use to do the extra things I mentioned above.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which route I should go? I'm leaning towards building a new server with RAID 5 and Win 2k8, but I wonder if that's really best. I also have no idea how easy it is to add drives to RAID 5 (either for more storage or for an extra redundancy) which I'm sure I'll want to do over time.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Anyone used the Acer easyShare H340 4-bay home server? Getting mine today and interested to hear feedback about the unit. I'll report back when I get it up and running.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 21, 2009

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

tehschulman posted:

Anyone used the Acer easyShare H340 4-bay home server? Getting mine today and interested to hear feedback about the unit. I'll report back when I get it up and running.

Isn't this a WHS box? We have a WHS thread :)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

tehschulman posted:

I have one and it sits there like a champ backing everything up and running uTorrent. It also servers up video to my hacked Xbox running XBMC over a wireless bridge in the living room. Best $400 I've ever spent and it'll pay itself off when one of our hard drives fails.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

tehschulman posted:

I think this may be exactly what I've been searching for in a NAS hardware wise. Does anybody know of equivalent systems, ie. full on Atom system / USB / 1000BaseT, 4 Bay, small, <$400? I have more OSX and Linux than Windows and would prefer not to pay or deal with WHS if I don't have to, even though I'm sure it's great if I was all Windows. This could still be an option if anyone can give some insight or point me to some experiences with other OSes on this thing. I am also open to other suggestions near what I'm looking for.

Also, we mean Easystore right?

Oh, yeah, I would prefer no drives already installed.

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 22, 2009

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

SimpleCoax posted:

I think this may be exactly what I've been searching for in a NAS hardware wise. Does anybody know of equivalent systems, ie. full on Atom system / USB / 1000BaseT, 4 Bay, small, <$400? I have more OSX and Linux than Windows and would prefer not to pay or deal with WHS if I don't have to, even though I'm sure it's great if I was all Windows. This could still be an option if anyone can give some insight or point me to some experiences with other OSes on this thing. I am also open to other suggestions near what I'm looking for.

Also, we mean Easystore right?

Oh, yeah, I would prefer no drives already installed.

I got mine for $345 on tigerdirect using dealnews.com. The machine comes with a 1TB drive that includes the WHS install, but I'm going to swap that out after copying the partition. Check out FreeNAS and NASlite (there's a good Wikipedia page on NAS softwares/OSes) if you want to use something besides WHS. HP makes a few NAS units similar to the easyStore, but the good one is expensive and the entry-level only holds 3 drives.

I'd have a nice little write up of the thing today if the UPS guy decided to actually show up on schedule with the delivery.

Oh also,

kri kri posted:

Isn't this a WHS box? We have a WHS thread :)

Yeah, I'll probably run WHS for a bit, but I'm interested in people's experiences with FreeNAS and NASlite on this box. I'm native to Linux, not BSD, but want to know to what extent I can perform some of the tasks that WHS can perform under another server (running utorrent, home automation functions, process monitoring, etc)

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 22, 2009

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

tehschulman posted:

The machine comes with a 1TB drive that includes the WHS install, but I'm going to swap that out after copying the partition.

Just curious why you'd want to do that? You want at least 2 drives in the machine so duplication can occur.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

gariig posted:

Just curious why you'd want to do that? You want at least 2 drives in the machine so duplication can occur.

I have 4x 1.5TB hard drives ready to go. Will image the WHS partition, copy it to my external drive, then swap out the drives and you know the rest. I want the Windows Home Server install partition because it's the only copy of the software in the box (stupidly).

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

tehschulman posted:

Yeah, I'll probably run WHS for a bit, but I'm interested in people's experiences with FreeNAS and NASlite on this box. I'm native to Linux, not BSD, but want to know to what extent I can perform some of the tasks that WHS can perform under another server (running utorrent, home automation functions, process monitoring, etc)

Please God do not get naslite. I purchased the usb version about 9 months ago and it is complete crap. The only way to configure it is through telnet and the only thing you can do is share an entire drive. No raid, replication is done through rsync once a day at any time. The web interface is barely worth even ever looking at. It was a terrible product and I wish I would have never purchased it. Save your money :)

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Fitret posted:

I need some advice on how to best fix my current storage situation. Right now I've got a WHS, and I absolutely love all of the features, but I no longer trust it. I know back before PP1 they had data corruption issues, so I waited until they did a redesign to adopt and everything has gone swimmingly since then - until last week. Last week, I got a notification that about 15 files had become corrupt. I talked to the WHS guys and it seems that my data is lost. They think it might be due to a hard drive that's about to fail, but I've got redundancy enabled on the folder, and guess what - my files are still gone! I'm not sure what the point of redundancy is if when a single hard drive goes bad, you still lose files. :argh: Because of this, I want to move away from WHS as the method of protecting my data.

As someone who had the data corruption issues back after RTM, and then fled far away from WHS but was secretly considering trying it again, I am very, very sad to read this.

Keep us posted as to what you end up doing.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

What's the 1TB or 1.5TB drive of choice for you guys in your small NAS boxes these days? I'm going to be expanding mine (currently 4x300GB, adding 4x1TB or 4x1.5TB). The box is in the closet, so noise isn't a primary concern. The network will probably be the throughput bottleneck (1gigabit). So, I guess reliability and random IO performance are my main priorities. It'll be a 3+1 RAID-Z volume. I've always assumed I didn't want the 5400/5900rpm drives, but I'd look at them. Are the Seagate 1.5TB drives still as lovely as they were reported to be a year or so ago?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

frunksock posted:

I've always assumed I didn't want the 5400/5900rpm drives, but I'd look at them.
I am running 4x GP drives in my solaris nas, and I really have no complaints. With all things, it will depend on your workload, but I can pull ~50MB/sec straight file transfers, I also am using it as shared storage for my ESXi box, running 8 VMs. If I could do it over again, I would not have bought the GP drives, simply because they cost a few extra bucks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I switched from 500GB 7200RPM Western Digitals to 1.5TB 5400RPM Samsungs, and at least in straight read/writes, the performance actually went up; presumably due to the increased platter density.

I don't do a whole lot of random reads/writes on my array (I've got a separate RAID0 for data that I don't care about that needs to be fast) so take this with a grain of salt if you're doing everything on one array.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Fitret posted:

I don't want to derail the NAS thread too much so I'll include my solution to my problem which is almost identical to yours. I had the same problems with corrupted duplicate files and failed backups, I ended up reformatting and starting again (luckily I had additional backups of all my important stuff) but even after the rebuild the issues continued. I narrowed it down to the actual system drive being faulty and the issues with that cascaded to corruption of a lot of files, even the duplicted ones and eventually to the backups failing and the backup service not starting at all.

It seems that WHS relies heavily on the system drive and if it fails you're pretty much hosed. They really need to work on that design flaw in future because like you I no longer trust WHS to hold my important data...and to tie this to the NAS thread, I'm using a QNAP TS-409 for all my junk now, it has a few issues mostly related to the lovely seagate drives I put in it but apart from that it never skips a beat (I know, RAID5 is not a backup, I still keep actual backups).

The moral of the story is that despite WHS's claims to the contrary, it is not a foolproof backup/data security solution, but then, for the average home user, what is?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah, this is why I don't trust anything other than decent RAID5 hardware and proven software RAID (md, zfs, etc.). There's a lot of complexities in storage systems, and nobody's going to solve that with some product aimed at end users firstly and the technical capabilities a distant second.

Scratch2k posted:

The moral of the story is that despite WHS's claims to the contrary, it is not a foolproof backup/data security solution, but then, for the average home user, what is?
The thing to note here is that the average user is actually not going to be using WHS in the first place. If someone has the know-how to look at WHS and other solutions, they're only a couple steps from looking at serious solutions like RAID5 and ZFS. This is where there's a lot of room available for someone to write a solid commercial NAS distribution for Solaris or FreeBSD that implements software RAID5 or ZFS. Until then, I think everyone will have to wait for btrfs on Linux.

The average user will almost certainly lose a lot of data even while using all these funky solutions they're paying good money for.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm about to put together a RAID-6 array and I'd like to really beat the hell out of it for awhile - hopefully to get any premature failures or unforeseen incompatibilities out of the way. Does anyone know of a good utility program to do this?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm about to put together a RAID-6 array and I'd like to really beat the hell out of it for awhile - hopefully to get any premature failures or unforeseen incompatibilities out of the way. Does anyone know of a good utility program to do this?

It's probably a ghetto solution, but if you've got a fast internet connection and don't live somewhere they screw you over if you use a lot of data, I'd grab a bunch of torrents for Linux isos and other large files and run them full tilt. Shitload of random writes and reads; on my original fileserver (a clusterfuck running Win2k3 Server) running a few torrents was enough to actually make uTorrent wait for the array to catch up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

stress, bonnie++, and iozone are decent ways to gently caress around with stuff like this.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

For those who read my earlier story of woe, I've decided to build a new server using RAID5. My only question now is what parts to get. I looked at a few of the system earlier people have built, and I noticed that no one here is using an Intel Atom board (or at least not of the recent builds). I thought that a lot of people were moving towards Atom because they still had great speed while vastly reducing the amount of power consumed - very important for always-on servers. Is there something I'm missing here?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
FreeNAS just released a release candidate of the 0.7 version which implements FreeBSD 7.2 and most importantly ZFS.

Hopefully 0.7 final will be released soon, that along with the new Intel Atom chipsets will provide for a nice low power file server!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Atom wasn't an option when I built mine, but for me the issue I've seen with most Atom boards is you're still limited to one PCI slot. I don't ever plan on running a single array with consumer hardware so large that I need to run more than one add-in controller, but when I migrated from one array to the other it was nice being able to drop in two more add-in cards I had laying around so I could run both arrays at the same time.

For what it's worth, good job Antec on the Earthwatts line; I had my Earthwatts 380W PSU powering the base system itself (Dual-Core Pentium E2140, 945-based motherboard with onboard graphics) as well as an ungodly number of drives. 80GB boot, 6x500GB WD Caviar Blues, 2x200GB Maxtors, and 4x1.5TB 5400RPM Samsungs.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Fitret posted:

Is there something I'm missing here?
max of 4 on board sata ports I believe, and no pci-e. Plus, it may be a bit slow for parity calculations of larger arrays.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Fitret posted:

I thought that a lot of people were moving towards Atom because they still had great speed while vastly reducing the amount of power consumed - very important for always-on servers. Is there something I'm missing here?
The problem with Atom is the chipsets it's been paired with so far. It's either nVidia's Ion or a really old, power-hungry chipset from Intel's basement bargain bin. The limited expandability of motherboards so far makes Atom boards terrible for an array that will take more than maybe 4 drives, and it's even worse if you're planning on trying to add a TV card on top of that (no go - 1 PCI slot for every Atom mobo I've seen). I'm planning on going with a Supermicro motherboard and multiple SATA cards for my setup later because frankly, I don't trust those new 2TB drives that much and plan on sticking with lots of 1TB drives.

I still think that for a home file server, a low-watt Intel or suitable AMD CPU with a low-power chipset is better than an Atom board - the power consumption is maybe a difference of 10w for a lot more computing power. If you want to move up into higher throughput network I/O, you're going to need a bit more than what an Atom can do while juggling some other important tasks.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
drat these headless installs are difficult. I've got FreeNAS on a bootable thumb drive but dunno how I'm going to change the BIOS options without the aid of a monitor. I have some USB ports and an Ethernet jack, any advice for getting this going?

EDIT: Using this tutorial otherwise.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 25, 2009

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tehschulman posted:

drat these headless installs are difficult. I've got FreeNAS on a bootable thumb drive but dunno how I'm going to change the BIOS options without the aid of a monitor. I have some USB ports and an Ethernet jack, any advice for getting this going?

You don't have any type of VGA/RS-232 output?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

H110Hawk posted:

You don't have any type of VGA/RS-232 output?

Nope, proprietary Acer disk server with 4x USB, 1x ethernet, and eSATA. Looking into installing the software via an external enclosure then transferring to the system.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Anyone played around with the DroboPro yet? Thoughts? Eight bays, GigE out, rack-mountable, and dual-disk redundancy (it's not RAID5-P, it's not RAID6, it's...BEYONDRAID!!!) sounds pretty sweet.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Awww. None of the FreeNAS images boot properly when I use Ubnetbootin to copy them to a thumbdrive. The live CD gives an invalid kernel error and the embedded image crashes due to a lack of ACPI drivers (even when I select the option to fore go ACPI). Don't want to turn the thread into my own support group, but anyone ever had these issues installing FreeNAS?

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Crossposting this in the PC building thread, but since I'm building a storage server, I thought I'd post here too.

Boot drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3160813AS 160GB 7200RPM ($40)
Storage: 3x Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS 1.5TB 5900RPM ($110 each)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX ($120)
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W ($190)
RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ($50)
PSU: Antec earthwatts EA430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS ($50)
Video Card: SPARKLE SFPX84GS256U2LF GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express x16 ($25)

Total Cost: $804.91

I already have a case and a CDROM drive (that I'll probably end up removing right after I install the OS). This ended up being way pricier than I was hoping for, though I know I went overboard in a few places (specifically on the CPU). I picked the motherboard for the 8xSATA II slots. I ended up going with Quad Core because I decided I wanted hardware virtualization support - I'm going to run Win Server 2k8 on the box and it seemed like a good idea to get a chip that could support hardware virtualization. Once I made that decision, it was either the Quad Core 2.66 for $190 or a Dual Core 3GHz for $168 (assuming I want a 6MB L2 cache, otherwise it's as cheap as $145). The video card is the cheapest I could find. Ideally I'd get a motherboard with onboard video since I'm going to run this PC headless, but I couldn't find one that also had 8 onboard SATA ports and didn't suck or wasn't extremely expensive.

Please rip this to shreds and suggest improvements.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boot drive: Do you not have an old drive laying around to use for that? Or pick one up on SA-Mart...

Storage: I think Dell is running the WD 1.5TB greens at a bit over $90, check Slickdeals.

Motherboard + video: Gigabyte's P45 boards kick rear end but this is way overkill. Get one with onboard video, add a PCIe SATA controller down the road when you need more ports.

CPU: I run a Pentium D 2140 in mine but I'm not trying to virtualize anything with it. Also, at least originally, wasn't VT support actually slower than just doing it the old way?

RAM: Even with that CPU, will you see any benefit from DDR2 1066 over DDR2 800, assuming you're not overclocking?

PSU: Probably just fine, maybe slight overkill given what I was able to run on a 380W temporarily. Then again, that C2Q draws a lot more than a 2140.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Boot drive: Do you not have an old drive laying around to use for that? Or pick one up on SA-Mart...

Storage: I think Dell is running the WD 1.5TB greens at a bit over $90, check Slickdeals.

Motherboard + video: Gigabyte's P45 boards kick rear end but this is way overkill. Get one with onboard video, add a PCIe SATA controller down the road when you need more ports.

CPU: I run a Pentium D 2140 in mine but I'm not trying to virtualize anything with it. Also, at least originally, wasn't VT support actually slower than just doing it the old way?

RAM: Even with that CPU, will you see any benefit from DDR2 1066 over DDR2 800, assuming you're not overclocking?

PSU: Probably just fine, maybe slight overkill given what I was able to run on a 380W temporarily. Then again, that C2Q draws a lot more than a 2140.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look for a cheaper mobo with integrated video solution, but my thought was that mobo w/6 SATA + add-on SATA card would be more expensive than mobo w/8 SATA + add-on video card. As for the RAM, the board doesn't say it supprts DDR2 800, otherwise I'd definitely be using that. If I go with a different motherboard, I'll certainly take down the RAM. For the PSU, I know the 380W will likely be fine, but I went with the more powerful PSU because it has more SATA power connectors (4 vs. 2). I could just get a bunch of molex adapters, but that will clutter the case more and the price difference wasn't huge.

As for the CPU, hardware virtualization should be faster than software virtualization, plus it enables select scenarios (hyper-V, Win 7 + Win XP, though I'm not planning on doing the latter).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have the Gigabyte EP45-DS3L in my main desktop, it supports DDR2 800 just fine.

How are you planning on handling the RAID? That may throw a wrench into things for your controllers. I run everything on software raid in Linux so I don't need to worry if an array spans multiple controllers (or even if the controllers are all the same type), but if you're planning on using the controllers to handle the array then you may want to go ahead and get a board with 8 SATA ports built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have the Gigabyte EP45-DS3L in my main desktop, it supports DDR2 800 just fine.

How are you planning on handling the RAID? That may throw a wrench into things for your controllers. I run everything on software raid in Linux so I don't need to worry if an array spans multiple controllers (or even if the controllers are all the same type), but if you're planning on using the controllers to handle the array then you may want to go ahead and get a board with 8 SATA ports built in.

I am indeed planning on doing hardware RAID.