Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
For those using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro and Windows 7 x64, here's a fix to get the PDF printer driver to install properly:

http://blog.codefidelity.com/?p=19

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Meroin posted:

I sort of like how Win7 formats explorer windows differently for Music/Pictures/Documents by, for example, listing Artist and Album columns for Music and filesize for Documents. However, I'd be thrilled if I could change the defaults for each archetype because, for music at least, filesize and length are much more important to me than Album and Track Name (I already know those because of the folder I opened and the file name).

I can change these manually for each and every folder, but is there a way to tell Explorer to format all Music type folders a certain way? Or to just not autodetect the archetype at all?

I think it works that way already. If you hit apply all in a folder full of mp3s it'll apply that style to all folders with mp3's.

Maybe. Ive never actually tried it.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Munkaboo posted:

Whats the point of Internet Security programs? I thought they were all bullshit

They're mostly just software firewalls bundled with an antivirus/spyware program. They're pretty useless but can help protect a computer against worms/viruses that spread via a closed network on their own. For home users with a router/firewall + updated windows with windows firewall turned on they're pretty useless. For a kid in a college dorm they can actually be pretty beneficial. Especially since most college kids don't keep windows up to date. But for the most part you're right, they're a pretty bullshit program that preys mostly on the fact that the majority of end users are pretty ignorant and have terrible browsing habits and the fact that they usually cost only a bit more than the pure av/spyware offering of the same company, so for an uninformed user a software firewall in addition to their av/spyware program for only $10 a year more its worth it I guess. For an informed home user, like most of the people in this forum I'd imagine, they're just a $10/year.

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 23, 2009

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
I haven't had an antivirus suite installed on my computer for almost 2 years now. Have over 200+ apps installed in my OS. However you bet your rear end when I setup a computer for a family member or client it's running NOD32 with all the bells and whistles.

As for a firewall, I just use the built-in OS firewall. Since XP SP2 the built-in firewall is plenty featureful for consumer use and is unobtrusive unlike 3rd party commercial software client firewalls.

Installing a x64 version of Windows if you have a 64bit capable CPU (Core2Duo /Athlon 64) is also advisable if possible. Even if you have fewer than 4GB of ram you may want to upgrade later. The OS and any 64bit apps also run better than their 32bit counterparts. Another bonus is that viruses that infect 32bit system level files are more likely to not infect x64 systems at all.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 23, 2009

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

Been running Win7 as my primary OS at home since the day the beta got out.

You know what I REALLY hate about that drat OS ? It spoiled me with all its goodness.

My OS at work is still XP and I can't upgrade it, so I'm stuck in the past. At least 10 times every day I move my cursor near the clock to go to the desktop ... and then I'm sad because I have to hunt down the shortcut in the quicklaunch (and it is not even always there, depending on the PC I'm on).

That, plus breadcrumbs in windows explorer, the start menu search box, awesome taskbar ...

God I love my Windows 7.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Quick question for installing win7 using a virtual drive on XP:
I've found a program that supposedly works (Virtual CloneDrive) but I also have grub installed and some versions of linux. From what I understand, when installing in this manner I need to restart to continue installation. Will windows 7 erase grub and boot correctly? That would be ideal as I don't need linux anymore.

edit: nevermind. this isn't possible if your xp install is 32-bit and you are trying for win7 64bit. oh well. time to wait for my thumbdrive to get here.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 24, 2009

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Munkaboo posted:

Whats the point of Internet Security programs? I thought they were all bullshit
blocking attacks and scanners

and also games and being able to browse shares and generally causing network problems

edit: why did I hit reply to a post on the last page? we may never know

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Lum posted:

Doesn't enterprise also need to contact a licence server at least twice a year or it'll stop functioning?

I thought this was true only if you didn't have a valid MAK key?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A Duck! posted:

I thought this was true only if you didn't have a valid MAK key?

Not with how they changed it. A valid MAK key gets so many installs in a network before you need to setup an in house license server (5 for servers, 25 for workstations) If you stay under that limit, you just need the initial activation, but it probes for more MAK key installs until you setup the license server.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Cryptic Edge posted:

Not with how they changed it. A valid MAK key gets so many installs in a network before you need to setup an in house license server (5 for servers, 25 for workstations) If you stay under that limit, you just need the initial activation, but it probes for more MAK key installs until you setup the license server.

Oh, that's fine then. We only have a few Windows machines in our lab, and most of those are bootcamped Mac Pros for the odd Windows utilities we can't run anywhere else.

I just don't want to have to install a license server for our lab. Like I said, valid MSDN licenses, just :effort:.

I guess I'll ask and see if there's a problem with me borrowing two Ultimate licenses until retail drops instead of installing Enterprise at home. As long as I can change the product key and reactivate without reinstalling when retail does hit. I wouldn't bother as October isn't that far away, but I'm still running I think the 7000 build at home, and it's starting to nag at me.

SaintofKillers
Jul 22, 2003
The most merciful thing in the world . . . is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft

sterito posted:

I have this annoying issue where there is almost a 45 second delay for Windows 7 to attempt to connect to my wireless network. To clarify, actually connecting to the network is instantaneous, but after I boot up I have to wait a long time for something to initialize to get to the point where it even attempts to connect.

I'm using default installed drivers for my Intel Wireless 4965AGN on my Dell D630 notebook.

I've checked the Intel website for drivers and it has this to say about W7:

My wireless card works fine otherwise, once it has actually connected. It's the delay to get to that point that is annoying me.

Anyone experiencing something similar? I'm wondering if it's just my wireless card or W7 in general.

It's a problem with the Intel card in the D630. Same poo poo happens under XP, etc. If you turn off the card via the switch on the side before you log in you probably won't see the same delay.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A Duck! posted:

Oh, that's fine then. We only have a few Windows machines in our lab, and most of those are bootcamped Mac Pros for the odd Windows utilities we can't run anywhere else.

I just don't want to have to install a license server for our lab. Like I said, valid MSDN licenses, just :effort:.

I guess I'll ask and see if there's a problem with me borrowing two Ultimate licenses until retail drops instead of installing Enterprise at home. As long as I can change the product key and reactivate without reinstalling when retail does hit. I wouldn't bother as October isn't that far away, but I'm still running I think the 7000 build at home, and it's starting to nag at me.

Yeah, I got a few installs of server 08 and win 7 ultimate running at home (for a test environment) because of that same method. So long as I stay under that number, I don't need a license server, and I can continue testing.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A Duck! posted:

I guess I'll ask and see if there's a problem with me borrowing two Ultimate licenses until retail drops instead of installing Enterprise at home. As long as I can change the product key and reactivate without reinstalling when retail does hit. I wouldn't bother as October isn't that far away

This will only work if you plan to buy Ultimate retail as you can't downgrade when entering a new product key.

Better to just install whatever version you plan to buy. Do slmgr /rearm every 29 days and then enter your product key when your retail copy arrives.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I really am liking 7, except for the fact that I have no flash support on my 64 bit browser. Firefox is really laggy/buggy as a 32-bit, I'm currently running a 64 port of Firefox. Any solutions? :(

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Lum posted:

This will only work if you plan to buy Ultimate retail as you can't downgrade when entering a new product key.

Better to just install whatever version you plan to buy. Do slmgr /rearm every 29 days and then enter your product key when your retail copy arrives.

Yeah, Ultimate. The problem with my existing installs is it's one of the old betas and it's complaining about being expired, so might as well throw on the RTM or whatever the latest is on MSDN. I could rearm it but I don't really see the point when I have keys now, I just want to be able to change them down the road.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

No. 9 posted:

I really am liking 7, except for the fact that I have no flash support on my 64 bit browser. Firefox is really laggy/buggy as a 32-bit, I'm currently running a 64 port of Firefox. Any solutions? :(

I didn't even bother to look for a 64bit port, but I'm running 3.5.2 with Flash with no problems on Ultimate x64.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Amazon.de has Win7 Home Premium for 199€ or Vista + upgrade for 109€. gently caress that.

I'm not paying that much for an OS and I'm surely not going to install an old OS first before I can reinstall a fresh install...

So I guess I'll be running my RC until June and hope for reduced prices then.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

No. 9 posted:

Nuke your firefox profile and install the official version fresh. Firefox runs just fine in 64 bit windows 7.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

No. 9 posted:

Yeah, stop using 64-bit Firefox.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else use the auto-hide taskbar and have Firefox annoyingly keep it raised? I know it's the Downloads window that causes it but the only option I see is to auto-close it after downloads finish which is not really what I want. Any way to just make it not want send that notification that makes the window blink?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sereri posted:

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but MS have announced that the prices for Home Premium Upgrade in the UK are going up in January 2010

Paul Kemp
Feb 11, 2008
Buy the ticket. Take the ride.

Alex007 posted:

You know what I REALLY hate about that drat OS ? It spoiled me with all its goodness.

My OS at work is still XP and I can't upgrade it, so I'm stuck in the past. At least 10 times every day I move my cursor near the clock to go to the desktop ... and then I'm sad because I have to hunt down the shortcut in the quicklaunch (and it is not even always there, depending on the PC I'm on).

That, plus breadcrumbs in windows explorer, the start menu search box, awesome taskbar ...

God I love my Windows 7.

windows key-d will minimize everything and take you to the desktop in XP, Vista, and 7. pressing it again will restore the windows to how they were before you first pressed it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Sereri posted:

I'm surely not going to install an old OS first before I can reinstall a fresh install.
Is there not the option to just put in your Vista disc/key to prove you own it without actually installing that first?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Swilo posted:

Is there not the option to just put in your Vista disc/key to prove you own it without actually installing that first?

Nope.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, stop using 64-bit Firefox.

Well, 32-bit Firefox is loving up. :colbert:

It's messing up on viewing Facebook photos and is laggy as hell on sites that worked fine in Vista 32.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 25, 2009

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

No. 9 posted:

Well, 32-bit Firefox is loving up. :colbert:

It's messing up on viewing Facebook photos and is laggy as hell on sites that worked fine in Vista 32.

As suggested, try nuking your profile. (Or rename the profile directory so you have a backup.)

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Tried it. Gmail lags, Facebook lags. Slow, slow, slow.

Edit: Reverted back to older version and works much better.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 25, 2009

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I stopped following windows 7 news a while ago, but wasn't one of the features slated for the OS that all updates would be restart-free? Why does windows update still have "This may require a restart" warnings?

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy

mobn posted:

I stopped following windows 7 news a while ago, but wasn't one of the features slated for the OS that all updates would be restart-free? Why does windows update still have "This may require a restart" warnings?

Hotpatching was introduced in a Vista service pack; it doesn't apply to kernel updates, though. There's something called the Restart Manager which is used to restart only certain components instead of requiring a full reboot, but a lot of stuff doesn't seem to use it yet. It gets on my nerves. Even the Office 2010 beta tells you to reboot after installing it (although it works fine as far as I can tell without a reboot).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

mobn posted:

Because it still could, if something is in use and not getting released until you reboot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sereri posted:

Amazon.de has Win7 Home Premium for 199€ or Vista + upgrade for 109€. gently caress that.

I'm not paying that much for an OS and I'm surely not going to install an old OS first before I can reinstall a fresh install...

Has Microsoft ever dropped Windows' price after release? gently caress, If you want to buy XP Pro retail its still the same price as it was in 2001.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

fishmech posted:

Has Microsoft ever dropped Windows' price after release? gently caress, If you want to buy XP Pro retail its still the same price as it was in 2001.

Yes but today money is worth less than 2001 money so you see it is actually at a substantial discount... :v:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CheeToS posted:

Hotpatching was introduced in a Vista service pack; it doesn't apply to kernel updates, though. There's something called the Restart Manager which is used to restart only certain components instead of requiring a full reboot, but a lot of stuff doesn't seem to use it yet. It gets on my nerves. Even the Office 2010 beta tells you to reboot after installing it (although it works fine as far as I can tell without a reboot).

That's weird... I remember installing Office 2000 back in the day and being amazed that it didn't even recommend a restart.

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?
Does anyone know why I can't get my mic to work and why it says "Currently unavailable"?

Audigy 2 sound card and Windows 7 Enterprise.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
If your using a 'flexijack' for it, make sure the radio button in the creative control panel is set to mic/line in, is all I can think of right now.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

wca posted:

Does anyone know why I can't get my mic to work and why it says "Currently unavailable"?

Creative doesn't support using more than one recording device at the same time. Not even with the X-Fi. You must select another device and click "Set Default" to enable it.

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?
I unistalled the creative drivers and let windows update the drivers instead of going to the creative website and downlaoding the drivers.

Everything seems to be working fine now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm getting constant disconnects of my internet access with the error "Default gateway is not available". This is happening every 5-10 minutes on average. I've googled the problem and it seems to be related to the fact my motherboard is nForce (680i) and Windows 7 doesn't like that.

Does anyone else have this problem? Most recent nVidia driver for my nForce series is from back in May, I really hope there's a new one out soon. I'm using the RTM 64-bit professional version, from the MSDN Academic site.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
I've just ordered parts for a new computer and I would like to run windows 7 64bit on it but I can't really figure out if there's currently a way to do that. I don't appear to get access to it on MSDN. Is there any way to get around buying two operating systems, at this point (vista now and windows 7 when it is released)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Alex007 posted:

God I love my Windows 7.

I keep wanting to drag maximized windows from one monitor to the other. But no, I have to un-maximize it, drag it, then maximize it again like some neanderthal.