Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

uXs posted:

I keep wanting to drag maximized windows from one monitor to the other. But no, I have to un-maximize it, drag it, then maximize it again like some neanderthal.
I spent a good few minutes resizing two word documents to fill half of each size of the screen this morning on XP :effort:

Maybe I can make a case to my boss that I'd work much more efficiently at home on my Windows 7 install!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

osigas posted:

I spent a good few minutes resizing two word documents to fill half of each size of the screen this morning on XP :effort:

Maybe I can make a case to my boss that I'd work much more efficiently at home on my Windows 7 install!

It's been a long time since I've used XP but I think there's an option if you right click on an open area of the start bar that says something like "tile windows vertically" and it should do exactly that.

But don't tell your boss this.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Spudsly posted:

I've just ordered parts for a new computer and I would like to run windows 7 64bit on it but I can't really figure out if there's currently a way to do that. I don't appear to get access to it on MSDN. Is there any way to get around buying two operating systems, at this point (vista now and windows 7 when it is released)?

Use the RC for now and then get Win 7 at release?

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

4 Day Weekend posted:

Use the RC for now and then get Win 7 at release?

This would be idea, but the RC doesn't seem to be available anymore. Is there a place to download it? I really don't know if there's some kind of product key I'd need that would make downloading it from some secondary source not work.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

diarrhea for girls posted:

It's been a long time since I've used XP but I think there's an option if you right click on an open area of the start bar that says something like "tile windows vertically" and it should do exactly that.

But don't tell your boss this.

That tiles *all* windows that are open though, so unless he's only got two windows open it won't quite do the same thing as Aero Snap.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

chizad posted:

That tiles *all* windows that are open though, so unless he's only got two windows open it won't quite do the same thing as Aero Snap.

You're going to poo poo yourself when you read this post and then try ctrl-leftclicking on 2 taskbar items, then right-clicking one and tiling them.
I did too.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Spudsly posted:

This would be idea, but the RC doesn't seem to be available anymore. Is there a place to download it? I really don't know if there's some kind of product key I'd need that would make downloading it from some secondary source not work.

My bad, I didn't realise it wasn't available. I just took a look at the site, they're still offering keys but no download. You can grab they key from there and an ISO from somewhere else if you'd like, or alternatively grab a student membership to ACM for MSDN access. That'll net you 4 Win 7 Pro keys, as well as access to RC keys and ISOs.

Check out this thread for more info:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186633

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ok , so I know you can restore Quicklaunch but until win7 I always had it as as a separate toolbar at the top on the screen with big icons and on auto-hide. This was so useful and it's the only thing I miss. But apparently you can't even make folders into toolbars any more (well you can on the taskbar but thats besides the point).
Or am I missing something ?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

kevdude posted:

I'm getting constant disconnects of my internet access with the error "Default gateway is not available". This is happening every 5-10 minutes on average. I've googled the problem and it seems to be related to the fact my motherboard is nForce (680i) and Windows 7 doesn't like that.

Does anyone else have this problem? Most recent nVidia driver for my nForce series is from back in May, I really hope there's a new one out soon. I'm using the RTM 64-bit professional version, from the MSDN Academic site.

Windows 7 most likely has drivers for your nForce board built in. Also the nForce drivers come with some lovely nVidia firewall, I forget the name for it, ForceWare Access Control or nVidia ActiveArmour or something like that. This thing sucked even on XP and probably wont work at all on Win7.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spudsly posted:

I've just ordered parts for a new computer and I would like to run windows 7 64bit on it but I can't really figure out if there's currently a way to do that. I don't appear to get access to it on MSDN. Is there any way to get around buying two operating systems, at this point (vista now and windows 7 when it is released)?

You can get an ISO of the RTM and install it with no key, and do the re-arming thing for up to 120 days until you can buy an actual key. You don't need to use a specially modified copy of the disc image for this.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Nam Taf posted:

You're going to poo poo yourself when you read this post and then try ctrl-leftclicking on 2 taskbar items, then right-clicking one and tiling them.
I did too.

I do this all the time over RDP, since I can't use both monitors with it.... can I?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Casao posted:

I do this all the time over RDP, since I can't use both monitors with it.... can I?

Nope, but Windows Live Mesh can!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

c0burn posted:

Nope, but Windows Live Mesh can!

Windows Live Mesh wins again!

Love that, but can't really install Windows Live Mesh on production servers. Guess I'll just keep ctrl-clicking.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lum posted:

Windows 7 most likely has drivers for your nForce board built in. Also the nForce drivers come with some lovely nVidia firewall, I forget the name for it, ForceWare Access Control or nVidia ActiveArmour or something like that. This thing sucked even on XP and probably wont work at all on Win7.

The nForce drivers for my 680i that automatically installed were from April. I updated from the nVidia site to drivers from May and the disconnects still happen. I'm assuming that new proper Windows 7 drivers will be released soon, so I guess I'll suffer until then.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

4 Day Weekend posted:

My bad, I didn't realise it wasn't available. I just took a look at the site, they're still offering keys but no download. You can grab they key from there and an ISO from somewhere else if you'd like, or alternatively grab a student membership to ACM for MSDN access. That'll net you 4 Win 7 Pro keys, as well as access to RC keys and ISOs.

Check out this thread for more info:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186633

Thanks for the help. As a postdoc it seems my membership to ACM would cost 42 dollars for a copy that I guess would only update for one year (unless I pay 42 dollars again). Was hoping I could just buy it but maybe that's the best option; 42$ now and full price when it comes out.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Win 7 Pro RTM.

I like the new Win key shortcuts, however I have one annoyance, if you press the win key on it's own it opens the start menu and repositions the mouse pointer (to the centre of the taskbar too, which is completely loving useless) and then you have to press it again to get rid of the start menu and put your mouse back.

If that wasn't bad enough, if I use Win+left to move a window to the leftmost edge of the screen, when I release the Win key, it will open the start menu and reposition my mouse pointer.

This is really loving annoying, how can I stop it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lum posted:

mouse issues

That definitely does not happen for me, and I'm on the same version. Do you have 3rd party mouse software installed? Maybe something like that?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Lum posted:

Win 7 Pro RTM.

I like the new Win key shortcuts, however I have one annoyance, if you press the win key on it's own it opens the start menu and repositions the mouse pointer (to the centre of the taskbar too, which is completely loving useless) and then you have to press it again to get rid of the start menu and put your mouse back.

If that wasn't bad enough, if I use Win+left to move a window to the leftmost edge of the screen, when I release the Win key, it will open the start menu and reposition my mouse pointer.

My mouse pointer stays exactly where it was before I hit the Winkey

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lum posted:

Win 7 Pro RTM.

It doesn't move my mouse on my netbook, can't test my desktop but I definitely don't remember this happening. Got anything mouse related installed? Autohotkey? KatMouse?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Spudsly posted:

Thanks for the help. As a postdoc it seems my membership to ACM would cost 42 dollars for a copy that I guess would only update for one year (unless I pay 42 dollars again). Was hoping I could just buy it but maybe that's the best option; 42$ now and full price when it comes out.

No, the keys are just OEM ones. They'll continue to work fine whether you renew your membership or not. If you are going to grab an ACM membership, make sure it's one of the student ones. From what I can see , the $42 one is just the $19 one with a couple magazines. The $19 one would provide you with MSDN access.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

got setpoint 4.72 installed, but the repositioning of the mouse pointer isn't the issue, it's how win+<-- will cause the start menu to open when I release the win key.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lum posted:

got setpoint 4.72 installed, but the repositioning of the mouse pointer isn't the issue, it's how win+<-- will cause the start menu to open when I release the win key.

Is that supposed to be Windows + Left? Cause it doesn't do that for me, Windows + Left just snaps to the left, no start menu.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just "upgraded" from RC to MSDNAA version yesterday night. Everything is okay except Firefox is slow as hell. Everything from opening tabs to rendering to responding to mouse clicks. I had upgraded to 3.5.2 in the RC and has used it just fine; this FF install in RTM is clean of course.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Casao posted:

Is that supposed to be Windows + Left? Cause it doesn't do that for me, Windows + Left just snaps to the left, no start menu.

Yes that's correct. It opens the start menu when the win key is released.

I've uninstalled setpoint which has fixed the pointer repositioning problem, but not the start menu problem.

Lum fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lum posted:

Yes that's correct. It opens the start menu when the win key is released.

I've uninstalled setpoint which has fixed the pointer repositioning problem, but not the start menu problem.

I just checked, I have SetPoint 4.82 installed and it works perfectly. Try and grab that version if you can.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So for you guys that have the RTM version installed, is there any immediate differences between it and the RC? I'm still running the RC until I get my Home Premo disc in because I'm too lazy to reformat right now.

And all this keyboard shortcut is new to me. In all my PCs since Windows 3.1, the only keyboard shortcut I've ever used are the really common ones like Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Del, etc., etc.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Casao posted:

I ran back through the thread and I'm not sure if you're talking about Win7 or WinXP, but Win7 can use multiple monitors for RDP sessions. Not sure if you need to be connecting to a Win7 machine or not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I ran back through the thread and I'm not sure if you're talking about Win7 or WinXP, but Win7 can use multiple monitors for RDP sessions. Not sure if you need to be connecting to a Win7 machine or not.

That's supremely useful in the future, but at the moment, I mostly RDP into machines at work on an XP system, and use Live Mesh on my Windows 7 machines. But thanks, that's going on my list of cool poo poo windows 7 added.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm trying to install Win7 Enterprise 64bit on a Dell D830, but I'm running into resource problems with the drat thing.

Current setup:

Dell D830 T7700 4GB Ram w/ NVS 140 onboard.

I have the Dell D/Dock Expansion station with a NVS 280 PCI card in it. I've got all 4 monitors working in Vista, but I can't get the video cards to work in 7.

I've scoured the internet for the last few hours. Updated my bios to the latest version, etc etc. I'm open to ideas.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
To those of you running the RTM, does it restore fixed aspect gaming of nvidia cards, that was mysteriously broken again in the RC?

It worked fine in Vista, but they backtracked a bit and it stopped working in the RC apparently. I'm just wondering if they got around to fixing it, that might actually get me to install it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just load the Vista drivers that worked for you. Should fix the issue.

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

4 Day Weekend posted:

If you are going to grab an ACM membership, make sure it's one of the student ones.

Do they actually check to see if you're a student, or is this on the honor system?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

kevdude posted:

The nForce drivers for my 680i that automatically installed were from April. I updated from the nVidia site to drivers from May and the disconnects still happen. I'm assuming that new proper Windows 7 drivers will be released soon, so I guess I'll suffer until then.

Mine started doing this again (nForce 570) after I thought I'd solved the problem. Since then I've turned off IPv6 and discovered that for some utterly insane reason Windows is set to turn it "off" to save power. After fixing those it seems to be more stable.

Unsound Logic
Jul 12, 2002

"Why don't you mosey along, pardner."

Shinryu posted:

Do they actually check to see if you're a student, or is this on the honor system?

It's on the honor system...I don't think they would have the resources necessary to sit around and validate people all day. Plus they are getting money from all the new memberships.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

So for you guys that have the RTM version installed, is there any immediate differences between it and the RC? I'm still running the RC until I get my Home Premo disc in because I'm too lazy to reformat right now.

I don't think I've noticed anything different between RC and RTM. Had it for 4-5 days only though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
RTM actually seems buggier to me.
I never saw the desktop refresh bug in the beta or RC, but I see it in RTM.
Have had occasional refusals to go to sleep in RTM, again, never had it in RC.

Not gonna go backwards, but hoping for some quick patches.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

RTM actually seems buggier to me.
I never saw the desktop refresh bug in the beta or RC, but I see it in RTM.
Have had occasional refusals to go to sleep in RTM, again, never had it in RC.

Not gonna go backwards, but hoping for some quick patches.

These are all driver issues. No patches.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

4 Day Weekend posted:

No, the keys are just OEM ones. They'll continue to work fine whether you renew your membership or not. If you are going to grab an ACM membership, make sure it's one of the student ones. From what I can see , the $42 one is just the $19 one with a couple magazines. The $19 one would provide you with MSDN access.

I went with the $42 one simply because I'm a postdoc and they seem pretty clear that the $19 one is only for undergraduate or graduate students. I'm sure I could have gotten away with the $19 one though.

VVVV I'm never sure. I guess i coulda probably done it and pleaded ignorant if they had a problem. If I remember right, the only options were grad student, undergrad or postdoc and the 19 dollar option said undergrad and graduate student only. But that might not be true.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 26, 2009

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Spudsly posted:

I went with the $42 one simply because I'm a postdoc and they seem pretty clear that the $19 one is only for undergraduate or graduate students.
Wow, postdoc isn't considered "graduate student"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy
edit: nevermind