Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
How are guys treated in the locker room when they rejoin the company? For example, did they welcome Undertaker back to the locker room with open arms?

Rejoin-break from the ring, injury, any time they aren't physically there...

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Batmanuel posted:

How are guys treated in the locker room when they rejoin the company? For example, did they welcome Undertaker back to the locker room with open arms?

Undertaker left the company? When? You can't be talking about his recent break from the ring. That's not leaving the company.

I imagine that after a break they are welcomed back like with any other job. Leaving the company... That's another story. During the Monday Night Wars I imagine it must have been pretty tense, but nowadays? There's virtually no competition in the horizon so they probably just see it as business.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Undertaker could leave, join Oprah's book club, be the sidekick to Carson Daly on Last Call and marry Rachael Ray and he'd STILL be welcomed back with open arms.

Based on backstage accounts and all, is there anyone more universally loved in the business than Mark Calloway?

Does anybody hate the guy?

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
The thought of Oprah and the Undertaker just casually sitting back on her show talking about proper ways to raise children or loose weight has just given me a case of the giggles, good sir.

I can honestly say that I've heard very, very little bad about Calloway, other than you have to earn his friendship and he can be standoffish at first. But that's not really a bad thing.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Batmanuel posted:

I've read both Bret's and Shawn's books and from the way it looks according to them, everyone, and I mean everyone respects the Undertaker. He's the guy to go to if you want an opinion on something. You need to have his respect if you want to last in the company. As gay as this sounds, he's like the grand-daddy of the locker room. He's been in the business so long that everyone respects him and he can come and go as he pleases. It's not like he's going to the competition(he's been with the wwe since his debut, through good times and bad times), he's old now. Also, he is still a big draw for the company and he's apparently a pretty cool guy once you get to know him.

If you're leaving the company for personal reasons, I guess that would be fine. But if you leave on bad terms with Vince and the locker room than it would be hard to come back.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ColeM posted:

I've read both Bret's and Shawn's books and from the way it looks according to them, everyone, and I mean everyone respects the Undertaker. He's the guy to go to if you want an opinion on something. You need to have his respect if you want to last in the company. As gay as this sounds, he's like the grand-daddy of the locker room. He's been in the business so long that everyone respects him and he can come and go as he pleases. It's not like he's going to the competition(he's been with the wwe since his debut, through good times and bad times), he's old now. Also, he is still a big draw for the company and he's apparently a pretty cool guy once you get to know him.

If you're leaving the company for personal reasons, I guess that would be fine. But if you leave on bad terms with Vince and the locker room than it would be hard to come back.

I assume you mean he has stayed with the company since his WWE debut since he was in WCW for a cup of coffee.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I imagine if Lesnar ever came back, they'd poo poo on him

Same with Angle I guess

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

sportsgenius86 posted:

Undertaker could leave, join Oprah's book club, be the sidekick to Carson Daly on Last Call and marry Rachael Ray and he'd STILL be welcomed back with open arms.

Based on backstage accounts and all, is there anyone more universally loved in the business than Mark Calloway?

Does anybody hate the guy?

Did anyone backstage hate Sting in the WCW days? I always thought of him as WCWs Undertaker. He was with them through thick and thin, and all kinds of bullshit.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Was there a wrestler that used Stone Temple Pilots - Dead & Bloated as a entrance theme? It just came on the radio and I seem to remember a wrestler using it. For some reason I have it in my head that Chris Hero used it at an indy he used to wrestle at here in Toronto, but I may be wrong.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 27, 2009

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Batmanuel posted:

It depends on the person and how the left. Undertaker's always been welcomed back because he's a locker room leader, legend, and has never left on bad terms.

ColeM posted:

But if you leave on bad terms with Vince and the locker room than it would be hard to come back.

Not really. You'll come back with some heat, but really nothing happens. Hell, if you leave on bad terms (Hogan, Nash, Hall, Bret, Billy Graham, Sammartino, etc.) it only makes Vince want you more.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Was there a wrestler that used Stone Temple Pilots - Dead & Bloated as a entrance theme? It just came on the radio and I seem to remember a wrestler using it. For some reason I have it in my head that Chris Hero used it at an indy he used to wrestle at here in Toronto, but I may be wrong.

You're right.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Can anyone pinpoint when it was that the Undertaker became the unofficial leader of the locker room? I know it's been at least a few years now, but I don't remember hearing about it so much during his American Badass phase.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TL posted:

Can anyone pinpoint when it was that the Undertaker became the unofficial leader of the locker room? I know it's been at least a few years now, but I don't remember hearing about it so much during his American Badass phase.

I think it started with him basically being the locker room spokesman and threatening a mass walkout after Montreal '97, and just gradually evolved over time as people like Austin, The Rock, Eddie (:smith:), etc., started to leave.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

TL posted:

If you mean in real life, around 1994, but it was something that wasn't talked about that much. He was a major star in the WWF by that point, Bret was always aloof, and The Cliq was had heat. It's around then when his friends, which included Godfather/Papa Shango/Kama and Yokozuna, was seen as tough guys who were down to earth.

If you mean on TV, it was when he was doing the Big Evil gimmick, mainly with the invasion.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Reading the "You knew you were a mark when" thread has made me realize something. I'm not sure I understand exactly what a smark is. I always understood it to mean someone who knows it's all a work. Somehow, though, I think it's a little more complex than that, because it gets thrown around here often in derogatory fashion.

If it IS as simple as knowing it's all a work, then why DOES it get thrown around in "smarks :rolleyes:" context?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Reading the "You knew you were a mark when" thread has made me realize something. I'm not sure I understand exactly what a smark is. I always understood it to mean someone who knows it's all a work. Somehow, though, I think it's a little more complex than that, because it gets thrown around here often in derogatory fashion.

If it IS as simple as knowing it's all a work, then why DOES it get thrown around in "smarks :rolleyes:" context?

Smark is a derogatory term used by wrestling fans on the internet to refer to other wrestling fans on the internet that they think they are better than.

Thats it.

Nobody else uses it, for anything else.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008

quote:

Honestly there are different types of smarks. The one that you are talking about here is this type:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9nIEPV7Kg4

The other is pretty much the IWC in a whole, who all know it's a work, read the dirt sheets but still love watching the product.

And to me, the definition of a Mark is pretty much anyone who isn't knowledgable at all about stuff behind the scenes and such. So all of you in this thread claiming to be marks because of things like Shawn/Taker are wrong, since you still know its fake, just because you marked out for a little bit doesn't make you a mark.

Edit: In the other thread I mean.

Thorias fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 27, 2009

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thorias posted:

Honestly there are different types of smarks. The one that you are talking about here is this type:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9nIEPV7Kg4

The other is pretty much the IWC in a whole, who all know it's a work, read the dirt sheets but still love watching the product.

And to me, the definition of a Mark is pretty much anyone who isn't knowledgable at all about stuff behind the scenes and such. So all of you in this thread claiming to be marks because of things like Shawn/Taker are wrong, since you still know its fake, just because you marked out for a little bit doesn't make you a mark.

See, I don't really agree with that, but it's a term about fake fighting, so who the gently caress really cares I guess. :shobon:

I guess the reason that I think we're all marks is because we still get wrapped up in the show.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

See, I don't really agree with that, but it's a term about fake fighting, so who the gently caress really cares I guess. :shobon:

I guess the reason that I think we're all marks is because we still get wrapped up in the show.

To the people that actually use the word mark, like people in 'the business' anyone that watches wrestling is a mark. If you know its fake and you still watch it you're still a mark. Being a mark is a carny term for a rube you can get money out of. It doesn't matter what you know, so in that sense we are all marks.

I try not to use either term because they are inherently pejorative.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I dunno, it's just what I've always believed, Smarks = Smart marks, ones still able to watch it knowing it's not real, but able to suspend disbelief enough TO get wrapped into the product, but still deep down inside know that it's fake and doesn't care, that's just how I've always seen it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

To the people that actually use the word mark, like people in 'the business' anyone that watches wrestling is a mark. If you know its fake and you still watch it you're still a mark. Being a mark is a carny term for a rube you can get money out of. It doesn't matter what you know, so in that sense we are all marks.

That's basically what I'm saying too. But it's also pretty pointless to argue over, so yeah. :)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

When I use "smark" as a pejorative I basically mean people who sperg out over wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I think Smark used to mean smart mark, but here we just use it for people who are all :smug: about wrestling

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I think Smark used to mean smart mark, but here we just use it for people who are all :smug: about wrestling

That's kinda what I figured. Okay then!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

FishBulb posted:

Smark is a derogatory term used by wrestling fans on the internet to refer to other wrestling fans on the internet that they think they are better than.

Thats it.

Nobody else uses it, for anything else.

spudsbuckley posted:

Internet smarks have to hate TNA for some reason. I think it's the law or something. It's the same reason they love ROH and Puro.

see?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Did anyone backstage hate Sting in the WCW days? I always thought of him as WCWs Undertaker. He was with them through thick and thin, and all kinds of bullshit.
A lot of people felt he'd lost his love of the business and was phoning it in. I never saw this on television, so it made absolutely no sense to me. The guy put on some fantastic matches all the way to WCW's death.

Lance Storm also said that during the period where people were giving Sting poo poo about this, on a tour in Austrailia, Sting was in the ring by himself before a show trying to work out spots. Lance asked him what was up. Sting told him he was frustrated with himself because he wasn't getting the guy he was feuding with over. (It may have been Vampiro. I don't remember.) So there he was, hours before the show, thinking up spots by himself.

Sting didn't get the credit he deserved.

Thorias posted:

Mark is also used as a term of appreciation. Like if Stone Cold said he was a mark for Benoit.

Marking out is different. It's sort of when you forget all about backstage crap and just enjoy the product like you did before you wised up.

Mark and Smark are used so many ways by so many people in often contradictory ways. It's an awful lot like emo or steampunk that way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Sting told him he was frustrated with himself because he wasn't getting the guy he was feuding with over. (It may have been Vampiro. I don't remember.) So there he was, hours before the show, thinking up spots by himself.

According to Foley's first(?) book, Sting was also kind of blown away when Foley came to him with a bunch of ideas for things they could do in their matches together, both because:

A. Foley was supposed to be a jobber being fed to Sting to make Sting look better.
B. Pretty much nobody really bothered to come up with any ideas for matches anymore, they just showed up, got in a series of standard moves and then either got pinned or pinned the other guy and that was that.

In the end they worked out their matches together and, as Foley had suggested to him, they both ended up better for it.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

LividLiquid posted:

The guy put on some fantastic matches all the way to WCW's death.

Ok, I'll bite. I was a little Stinger growing up and I still want an example for every year after 1995. I don't buy it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Where did the character of Sting come from? Not the Crow Sting which I assume was just a creation of the xtreme 90's when it became super cool to wear black and be brooding. I'm talking about the idea of a guy with colorful clothing, cool face paint, and a blonde flat-top who sort of acted like a surfer calling himself Sting. Was it just a cool name?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

Where did the character of Sting come from? Not the Crow Sting which I assume was just a creation of the xtreme 90's when it became super cool to wear black and be brooding. I'm talking about the idea of a guy with colorful clothing, cool face paint, and a blonde flat-top who sort of acted like a surfer calling himself Sting. Was it just a cool name?

basically he kind of looked like Sting (the rock star) and just added the face paint because that's what he's been doing since he broke into the business with Warrior.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Was he Sting when Warrior was THE DINGO WARRIOR or was that not related? Was he STING WARRIOR?

that would be amazing.

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW

FishBulb posted:

Was he Sting when Warrior was THE DINGO WARRIOR or was that not related? Was he STING WARRIOR?

that would be amazing.

They were Blade Runners Sting and Rock, like Road Warriors Hawk and Animal.

Warrior was The Rock before The Rock was.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jason Funk posted:

Yeah Blade Runners! THats right I remember that now, god I haven't thought about that in forever.
Then when was the Warrior DINGO WARRIOR?

edit: Right after that apparently, DINGO WARRIOR

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

A lot of people felt he'd lost his love of the business and was phoning it in.

That was true for pretty much 95% of WCW's locker room post-1997, so I don't see why they would hold that against Sting.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Minges posted:

Ok, I'll bite. I was a little Stinger growing up and I still want an example for every year after 1995. I don't buy it.

Even though the payoff sucked, the buildup to Starcade 1997 was amazing at the time, and was one of the few times in the modern era that a feud was given a proper amount of time to build to the boiling point. He deserves props for 1996/1997 alone for that build up, because it was all about the Stinger.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Even though the payoff sucked, the buildup to Starcade 1997 was amazing at the time, and was one of the few times in the modern era that a feud was given a proper amount of time to build to the boiling point. He deserves props for 1996/1997 alone for that build up, because it was all about the Stinger.

Amusingly, wasn't the reason for that long build-up because Sting had fulfilled his contractually obligated number of matches per year really early and they would have to pay him extra money for every match he had after that point?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Minges posted:

One example for every year? I can come pretty close. In 1996 I was a pretty heavy mark so every match with Sting seemed awesome at the time and in 1997 he only wrestled one match that was ruined by Hogan's bullshit.

1998 he had an awesome match with The Giant over control of their Tag Titles at Great American Bash, then an excellent match with Goldberg in the main-event of a Nitro that saw Sting almost ending Goldberg's streak after some really kickass back-and-forth until Hogan ran in and gave the win to Goldberg. He had a match with Bret Hart the Nitro after Hart turned heel on him that went all around the arena. Then there was the blowoff match with Hart which was also great. He was gone for the rest of the year. This is probably my most memorable year for Sting matches.

When he returned in 1999, his second match back was his awesome match with DDP where he won the title for an hour-and-a-half.

In 2000, he had a kickass with Scott Steiner.

2001 was the year of the final Flair/Sting match, so there's that.

There's more, but those are the ones I still remember off the top of my head. He was mostly used in tags and such on Nitro. Russo booking killed anybody's ability to have a good match throughout a lot of the end of 1999 and some of mid-to-late 2000. All the same, whenever he got in the ring he always entertained me and never seemed lazy or phoning it in.

The guy did a thumbtack bump two years ago, for gently caress's sake. How can people accuse him of no longer caring?

Jerusalem posted:

Amusingly, wasn't the reason for that long build-up because Sting had fulfilled his contractually obligated number of matches per year really early and they would have to pay him extra money for every match he had after that point?
I've never heard of this, but it doesn't make much sense. When was the last time Bischoff cared how much money he spent on top talent? And Sting only wrestled one match that whole year.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Jason Funk posted:

There was also that Don Morraco guy but he was a bit of a poseur

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

LividLiquid posted:

I've never heard of this, but it doesn't make much sense. When was the last time Bischoff cared how much money he spent on top talent? And Sting only wrestled one match that whole year.

That was pretty much the prevailing belief at the time, at least, but I can't give you sources.

As far as the matches, I guess I remember some decent ones like some of what you mentioned and a couple of others. I just had come back in mid=97 from about five years away from watching wrestling and was SO excited to see Sting, especially given the rafters storyline that built up his return match perfectly.

Pretty much every memory of him after that aside from a couple DDP matches just left me sad and disappointed albeit still hopeful. Probably that was just a symptom of being a WCW fan to the bitter end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

On that note, I have another question about Sting. Did he wrestle at house shows during 1997?