Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Just clsoe the game and try loading it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Barrelfox posted:

Returned just now but both the regular save and the quicksave wont load... I get a failed to load error message as if the entire thing had corrupted itself in saving.

I've seen some oddities going on with the saving as well. I had the problem, but only intermittently. The saves themselves weren't actually bad. Try restarting JA2 once or twice, and trying to load the save. That, or try starting a new game, then loading the save.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ansob. posted:

I'm properly confused, right now. :/

I just hired Magic for a day to clear out Omerta and Drassen Airport, and manually moved all his gear from his inventory to the B13 (Drassen Airport) sector inventory. However, when I try to access these items, they're now greyed out and the game tells me they can't be accessed from that location (despite having been moved from a character in B13 to the sector inventory in B13). Halp? D:

I've had this happen and 95%+ of the time, it will solve if you select that character, close the inventory, zoom down to the sector (tactical view) and then leave tactical view again and access the sector inventory. Don't ask what this accomplishes, it's the "turn it off and back on again" solution that inexplicably results in the game realizing "this person and that stuff are in the same sector, that's ok."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks, SirViver and chairface. Going to tactical and back out again fixed it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How do I know that the NV goggles are working? it doesn't seem to change the line of sight display, I was trying to conquer Cambria by night but my mercs couldn't even catch guys that were two feet away from them.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Honest Thief posted:

How do I know that the NV goggles are working? it doesn't seem to change the line of sight display, I was trying to conquer Cambria by night but my mercs couldn't even catch guys that were two feet away from them.

Do you have them equipped and not just in their inventory?

Check with the END key, their line of sight should change when they're active.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jarf posted:

Do you have them equipped and not just in their inventory?

Check with the END key, their line of sight should change when they're active.

I got them on the head slot, and the END key doesnt seem to change when I go poo poo+n to on and off. I thought maybe it doesnt change dynamically but even then it doesn't.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Ansob. posted:

I'm properly confused, right now. :/

I just hired Magic for a day to clear out Omerta and Drassen Airport, and manually moved all his gear from his inventory to the B13 (Drassen Airport) sector inventory. However, when I try to access these items, they're now greyed out and the game tells me they can't be accessed from that location (despite having been moved from a character in B13 to the sector inventory in B13). Halp? D:

This just happened too me when all my mercs where in the sector but all playing doctor/patient/trainer. As soon as I put one on duty they could all start swapping gear again.

If my medically skilled Merc is flat on her face conked out and bleeding too death is there any way for my other Mercs too get the doctors bag out of her backpack?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

I got them on the head slot, and the END key doesnt seem to change when I go poo poo+n to on and off. I thought maybe it doesnt change dynamically but even then it doesn't.

Shift-N is only used for swapping between whatever is currently on your eyes and whatever is currently attached to your helmet. If you're wearing NVGs and don't have anything attached to the helmet it won't do anything. Try putting the item in inventory, check LOS, then put it in a head slot and check LOS again. It should change.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Nope, unless the LOS on the END key doesn't change depending on character's gear it does nothing, they're also not degrading, and there's only one slot to put them anyway.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You must be putting it in the wrong slot, there are two slots in the upper left that are used for NVGs, sun glasses, extended ears and gas masks. Are you putting it in the helmet slot? I didn't even think that was possible.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
They're on the right place, they just don't seem to do anything, either that or the bonus effect is very passive.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

That's how it should look like at night with and without nvgs. Especially the light aura ("g" to toggle) shows the difference clearly.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Night vision goggles and sun goggles only have a very tiny effect on sight distance, however that's all you really need and is a much bigger advantage than it might seem at first. Especially at night, spotting the enemy before he spots you means you'll always get to act first. If done right this allows you to clear the sector without giving the enemy a single chance to shoot.

By the way, the sight and cover indicators (as seen in the screenshots posted above) can be enlarged to cover the entire screen by holding down DEL or END and the "+" key (press "+" repeatedly). You should be using these views regularly anyway and this makes them much more convenient.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

az posted:

That's how it should look like at night with and without nvgs. Especially the light aura ("g" to toggle) shows the difference clearly.

yeah mine doesnt show like that, the light radius does change though, that I noticed before; maybe they are working and I just suck

http://i27.tinypic.com/9igun6.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/b8o8q1.jpg

I'm carrying way too many guns

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Ah, that's because you're currently in a weather storm that greatly reduces your sight distance. This is not the normal nightvision distance :)

Honestly, I think the rain sight reduction is kinda ridiculous with the default settings and makes finding the enemies almost impossible at night. Luckily this can be changed via the INI entry VISUAL_DISTANCE_DECREASE_PER_RAIN_INTENSITY. Default is 30, but I think 10 - 15 is much more manageable. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I guess it means that rain is intensity 1 and a storm intensity 2. With a value of 30, rain would decrease the sight distance 30% while a storm decreases it by 60%.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Also Honest Thief, you need to release and repress END/DEL after making any changes such as swapping goggles, because those viewmodes don't update automatically, maybe that was part of the problem too.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I just started this game and I have to say I'm pretty lost. I played fallout tactics but this is way more complicated.

Are there any guides to just general combat?

Some major issues I'm currently having:

1. None of the hotkeys on this page: http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/ja2_and_1_13_hot_keys which is linked in the OP do any of what they claim. I hit F and its some type of follow command rather than a firing distance indicator. Hitting "S" doesn't make my character stand, nor does hitting "L" make my character look, and "W" does not show any wireframe mode.

2. Whenever I tell my merc to walk they always walk backwards and I am not holding down the alt key. Even when I tell them to look in a direction and then walk in that same direction, they turn around before walking.

3. Is there anyway to rotate the viewing angle on the tactical map so I could see what the front of a house looks like? I have some guy firing at me from inside a house and I can't tell if there are windows or what on the front of the house.

Yea, so I'm pretty confused right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
yeah seems changing the weather % decreased helped a lot, now the enemies and militia don't even run around like blind cockroaches, thanks all

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

#1 and #2 definitely both point to alt being stuck. I haven't encountered it, but a little googling found this.

"It's a bug with alt-tabbing and it's not unique to JA2, it happens in a lot of games (especially fullscreen ones). Essentially, alt gets stuck "On" when you alt-tab out of the game so anything it modifies will be stuck. All you need to do to clear it is just hit the alt button again when you tab back in, you shouldn't need to hold it down."

As for #3, no, you can't rotate the map. You should see the red outline of the guy firing from inside the house though, if you have line of sight to him.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Did you actually install 1.13? Doesn't sound like you did. Where did you get the game and what have you installed?

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI

Megasabin posted:

2. Whenever I tell my merc to walk they always walk backwards and I am not holding down the alt key. Even when I tell them to look in a direction and then walk in that same direction, they turn around before walking.

I found the first time i tried 1.13 on a laptop about two years ago i ran into this problem, except they did the strange walk-backwards thing right from the get-go without having first alt-tabbed to instigate the issue. The work around i found was to quicksave and load which often solved the issue; the other thing that used to solve it was to alt-tab then maximise again.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Jarf posted:

If you've ever been in the area of effect of a (military) smoke grenade in real life you would know that it's not easy to breathe in those things.

However, killing somebody? Yeah that's extreme. I think it says in the item description that it's made in a similar fashion to WP grenades and thus will do some damage.

I have been, and while white phosphorus smoke is certainly unpleasant, I've never seen anyone come out of a screen with more than a temporary cough. Exposure to burning white phosphorus would hurt you, yeah, but the smoke it produces is an irritant at worst.

chairface posted:

Yeah, actually, but it's very low damage usually. Getting hit by the canister itself does a little bit of damage and being in the square the canister's shooting out gas can cause minor damage. Never had anyone die from it, we're talking maybe 10 damage tops if someone gets hit by the thrown canister and then stays in the square with it. Which is probably still excessive for "realism." If the person was already down, they may've been bleeding *and* taking light damage from the smoke, which could add up real fast to someone that close to death already.

Well, I stabilized for bleeding, so it was just recurring smoke damage for every round spent in the periphery of the cloud. I'll take a look through the .xml files and see if it's an item property.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The hotkeys are definitely good to know. Two I would highly recommend, which are easy to miss, are shift-f and shift-s, in tactical mode. shift-f unloads all of the weapons and attachments on the guns in the sector, and shift-s sorts the inventory screen. They make sorting though the results of a battle much easier. I played a few games of 1.13 before learning about them, and they are quite convenient.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Also Ctrl-Shift-B to drop all your large backpacks at the start of a battle and then after you've cleared the sector Ctrl-Shift-F which performs a Shift-F + Shift-S and picks up the large backpacks again.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Megasabin posted:

I just started this game and I have to say I'm pretty lost. I played fallout tactics but this is way more complicated.

Are there any guides to just general combat?

Yeah this is quite complicated but it comes naturally after a while.

As to regular combat, this is just off the top of my head.

-If you have backpacks, drop them before you engage the enemy with shift-b or they'll slow you down
-always look for cover, use your mercs in pairs to cover each other at all times. everything that can't be walked over like trees, rocks or other objects catches bullets for you
-you don't always have to advance to kill the enemy, oftentimes you can lure them around corners or make them come to you
-crouching should be your standard stance unless you need to move fast or need get out of dodge quick
-if you set up a position, use "l" to have your guys ready and aim in the directions you want to cover
-don't fight in the open when you get caught in an ambush. it's better to run away for cover than it is to stand and take a beating.
-go for headshots if you have a decent enough chance but don't waste bullets or ap on long range, bad chance shots
-nightgoggles save your rear end at night, very powerful with night ops characters. glowsticks and grenades can make for nasty surprises.
-heal yellow damage before you bleed too much
-and as a rule of thumb, you'll always be outnumbered so it's more important to not have your mercs get shot than to shoot the bad guys, take care of them.

SirViver posted:

Also Ctrl-Shift-B to drop all your large backpacks at the start of a battle and then after you've cleared the sector Ctrl-Shift-F which performs a Shift-F + Shift-S and picks up the large backpacks again.

Don't forget ctrl-shift-m to merge all consumable items such as ammo and medkits in the sector.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Is there a hotkey to enter hand-to-hand combat? I've been trying to punch people, and I get the fist and an AP cost, but all I get is a clock cursor when trying to hit people. However, other people can punch me all day. Is there something I'm not doing right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I noticed that shift-n will change how many 'bright' squares there are around the merc even if she isn't even carrying any goggles/sunglasses.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Did the 1.13 team figure out how to make upgrades not break saved games?

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
My mate's due to buy JA2 soon, is there any reason he shouldn't be using 1.13?

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
Is there any reason to opt for tear gas over mustard gas?

I mean, smoke that I can see being useful for obscuring, but if I have the option to dump mustard or tear gas in through a window, why not go for the quick kill over the inconveniencer? I suppose you could get better "training" for punching the Hell out of unconscious folks, and tear gas is marginally cheaper, I just don't see any other benefits.

I do love the fact that I have the option of using one over the other, not denying that, even if one isn't as useful.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yoshimo posted:

My mate's due to buy JA2 soon, is there any reason he shouldn't be using 1.13?

there's no reason not to use it.

It adds in lots of great technical improvements like crash fixes and also higher resolution.

Plus all the great new options/equipment and being able to tweak the game with a simple ini file.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Early game you don't get mustard gas, if its vanilla install

v1.13 really screws with the progession of the game really

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 30, 2009

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

pesty13480 posted:

Is there any reason to opt for tear gas over mustard gas?

I mean, smoke that I can see being useful for obscuring, but if I have the option to dump mustard or tear gas in through a window, why not go for the quick kill over the inconveniencer? I suppose you could get better "training" for punching the Hell out of unconscious folks, and tear gas is marginally cheaper, I just don't see any other benefits.

I do love the fact that I have the option of using one over the other, not denying that, even if one isn't as useful.

If you're on a militia map, you can use teargas and be less likely to kill your greenies.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's a good thing there's a thread full of people willing to help with this. Interface is pretty drat confusing, and the game could really do with a tutorial.

That said, I'm still having fun. I'm on my third restart playing through to capturing Drassen mine (I essentially restarted until I understood the game well enough to make a start on a definitive playthrough, which is something a tutorial would have spared me...). Anyway, I've decided to try playing through the early game with the maximum number of IMP mercs and make a themed super-team, and I may very well write this game up on a blog or something.

I've got a couple more questions, though: is there a way of removing the ammo from a gun without just switching in a new clip, and how do I equip foldable/extendable stocks? Oh, and I presume the starting equipment for the IMP mercs is randomised except for always starting with a loaded 10mm MP5 plus two spare clips.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The game is pretty tough to screw up, honestly, so I wouldn't be worried about doing everything perfectly. So long as you aren't losing characters you care about in battle, and you have mine income to afford the mercenaries you've hired, you are in good shape.

I would suggest playing with the mercenaries though, and not an all IMP team. A lot of the charm comes from the character personalities, and not needing to pay removes a chunk of the challenge. It is fun having characters that aren't always perfect.

As for removing ammo, right click on the gun, and then click on the ammo counter on the gun picture.

Starting equipment is based upon what traits you chose, and even then it is randomized somewhat. Picking the sniper trait starts you with a 7x or a 10x scope (the 7x tends to be much more useful). Picking the night-ops trait usually starts you with some 2'nd gen goggles on your helmet, which is very useful. Picking the auto-weapons trait usually starts you with a 200 round belt of some type of 5.56mm ammo. I've seen it with AP, HP, and tracer. I believe it might also sometimes give you a foregrip. I think heavy weapons can start you with some mortar shells. I've started with retractable stocks, folding stocks, and tripods sometimes too, but I am not sure what controls those.

As for the starting gun, I think it may be tied to your marksmanship skill. I usually start mine high, which means the 10 mm MP5. You'll get either two or three extra clips for it. I've heard that a low marksmanship will start you with a pistol, but I've never done it.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 30, 2009

Sigoynerblod
Sep 16, 2007

Ansob. posted:

I've got a couple more questions, though: is there a way of removing the ammo from a gun without just switching in a new clip, and how do I equip foldable/extendable stocks?
1. Right-click the gun in question and click the ammo count next to the big picture of the gun.
2. Click the stock to pick it up, right-click the gun, and then click on one of the four boxes next to the big picture of the gun. If the squares are blacked out, the attachment won't work with the gun. Same procedure for underslung grenade launchers, LAMs, etc.

How many mercs do you guys usually hire in the course of the game? I'm never quite sure how many is too many.
e:fb

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
My last finished playthrough I had 6 AIMs, 2 MERCS, 1 IMP and all of the Rebels avalible.

I had a seventh AIM (Raven) but she got one-shotted by a greyshirt while attacking Cambria mine at nightime during a storm - walked right around a corner and got a knife thrown into her torso on an interupt. I didn't reload the save because the death was so cool to watch and i had to applaud the AI for catching me unawares.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Eh, I don't think there is any right number. The game can be completed with one or as many as you want. How many I personally tend to hire usually depends on who I plan to hire more so than anything else. If I am using more expensive mercs, I might not be able to immediately field as many as I would like. It also depends on how I plan to fight.

For night-ops, I find smaller teams work well. My main assult team is usually four guys or so. I find that more just tend to get in the way. Night-ops is more about quality than quantity. That doesn't mean I won't have more mercenaries though, for training militia, repairing, hauling crap, or the like.

For day ops, I usually go with larger teams. A normal late-game day-ops squad for me might consist of the following six:

1-2)Two anti-material snipers, who are set up looking down the lanes I expect enemies to come from. These guys will be using the big gently caress-off sniper rifles, and shoot prone.

3-4)Two mobile snipers, who will use faster semi-automatics like the M21, PSG1, or Dragunov. These guys pick off anything that doesn't come down the lane my anti-material snipers are looking down, and shoot from a crouch.

5) One heavy weapons guy, who throws grenades and mortars at any groups. Blows holes in walls I don't like. Good for taking down/delaying any large groups your snipers would have problems dealing with in time.

6) Finally, one spotter/hauler, who does nothing much more than hold binoculars, wear super-heavy armor, and spin in circles every round. He wastes his AP looking around so that the others don't have to. He is usually is loaded out with extra ammo like mortar shells or grenades.

Even then, there is nothing wrong with using multiple squads, if you so choose. I can see a complete squad of snipers and a heavy weapon squad, maybe.

One of my favorite generic cheapo teams is Fox, Wolf, Bull, Grizzly, and Nails, along with an IMP. Everybody likes each other, making for some nice banter, all of your skill bases are covered, and everybody is pretty cheap to hire. Using these guys for my day-ops setup, I might have my IMP and Wolf be the anti-material snipers, Fox and Nails be the mobile snipers, Grizzly be the heavy weapons guy, and Bull be the binocular bitch.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm definitely going to be getting some of the AIM mercs as well - the IMP squad is just a temporary solution. I'll probably do a second playthrough with none of the bells and whistles once I've finished the game once, tbh.

The IMP voices do a banter a bit, though, even if it isn't great. Also, I've given each of my IMPs a name and themed nick, and am going to force myself to write their adventures up and post them on a blog or something as I go.

So far I've sold everything every one of them owned in order to get to Steyr Scouts with 7x scopes (for my two expert snipers), two XM177s (expert auto weapons) with grips and two AN94s with folding stock (expert night ops, who are my mid-range people for now) plus three magazines per person of their chosen ammo. Result: I have $19 left after shipping costs. About to run to Drassen Mine as fast as I can. ¬_¬