Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I was supposed to go to this, but cant get off of work in time :(

then it's probably unfortunate that you're coming down with a stomach infection right now RIGHT :) seriously you should try to go, seeing KSE without some godawful band like Disturbed or Underoath is p. hard to do nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Spiral posted:

but why write music that people before you have already done 1000x better?

Why don't you start things off by naming some of those bands.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
In other news, Parkway Drive is the best band ever, more at 11

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

krustster posted:

Methinks you didn't actually listen to the song and just based your opinion of it on the post in this thread. Because :drat:

It only sounds like old Born of Osiris but longer and less interesting... they don't innovate in any way, they just put together a bunch of tired breakdown clichés.

It's not a bad song, but there's nothing to go wild about.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

krustster posted:

Why don't you start things off by naming some of those bands.

Born of Osiris
Veil of Maya
The Faceless
Arsonists Get All the Girls
The Devil Wears Prada
IWRESTLEDABEARONCE
Within the Ruins

Also, Here Comes the Kraken has put out my #1 Metalcore/Deathcore album for this year, a definite must-listen.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
To me a band that does heavy exceptionally well is Animosity. Check this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYSJNU652I

Also this is a local band but I they are pretty original and cool, have some well-crafted breakdowns, check out the songs "Mea Culpa" and "In In In" for some good times

http://www.myspace.com/adventscars

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Cock Soup posted:

Born of Osiris
Veil of Maya
The Faceless
The Devil Wears Prada
IWRESTLEDABEARONCE
Within the Ruins

Also, Here Comes the Kraken has put out my #1 Metalcore/Deathcore album for this year, a definite must-listen.

I love all those bands you just listed (I haven't heard Veil of Maya or Within the Ruins, however), and I would still rank The Infernal Offering by By Blood and Iron up there with some of those bands' best songs.

And yeah, HCTK is amazing

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Cock Soup posted:

Born of Osiris
Veil of Maya
The Faceless
The Devil Wears Prada
IWRESTLEDABEARONCE
Within the Ruins

Here Comes the Kraken is good but none of those other bands except maybe Arsonists are even really that similar to the tape in question. Anyway, the point is, most of us (including me) don't really care how original something is as long as it sounds good, which most of us agree that this does. Sound good, that is. Now get out of here.

:smug:

jk

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I love all those bands you just listed (I haven't heard Veil of Maya or Within the Ruins, however), and I would still rank The Infernal Offering by By Blood and Iron up there with some of those bands' best songs.

And yeah, HCTK is amazing

also this, By Blood and Iron is in the top rankings regardless of who they might sound like.

edit: Iwrestledabearonce kinda sucks and you should be disqualified for putting them in your list in the first place.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
seconding that they suck

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

seconding that they suck

you may be "deeply pathetic" but I think I like you, young fellow

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

krustster posted:

you may be "deeply pathetic" but I think I like you, young fellow

i know, i dont understand who would spend 10 bux to buy me that. i guess i made a pathetic post on this internet (???)

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

krustster posted:

Iwrestledabearonce kinda sucks and you should be disqualified for putting them in your list in the first place.
Iwrestledabearonce is awesome if you just accept that they're never being serious with anything they write and just see it as fun music and not super loving brutal or anything.

Like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKPgZ51ywU

It ends with an Inspector Gadget theme breakdown. I don't know about you, but I think that's loving awesome.

I saw them live too, and they put on a pretty good show.

As for bands that don't do anything too original but are still awesome, nothing beats As Blood Runs Black to me. They have great, catchy riffs and insane breakdowns. Sure the whole album is in the scale and the songs sound similar, but if you dig it you're going to fall in love with this album.

Seriously, listen to this breakdown. Face crushing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ppHDz9P1LM (starts at 3:28)

Also, thanks for bringing up Here Comes the Kraken. Really good stuff.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
I know this most probably fits genres here but the singer of Rolo Tomassi has got some loving lungs on her and she's really cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7AXUmYrNq4

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

As Blood Runs Black are insane, and it sounds like I need to check out Here Comes The Kraken.

And I've only heard a few songs but I thought The Devil Wears Prada was p. lovely

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

ok guys sorry i take everything i said about the band back. i watched the video again and ive decided that the MACHINE GUN cliche-breakdown into the EXPLOSION SAMPLE followed by the SPINNING LEG KICK is absolutely the best thing in music ever.

I think I thought this band was trying to be serious, but actually this is one of the best parody bands ive ever seen.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Spiral posted:

ok guys sorry i take everything i said about the band back. i watched the video again and ive decided that the MACHINE GUN cliche-breakdown into the EXPLOSION SAMPLE followed by the SPINNING LEG KICK is absolutely the best thing in music ever.

I think I thought this band was trying to be serious, but actually this is one of the best parody bands ive ever seen.

Well now it seems you've caught on.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Spiral posted:

They parody being serious... or parody parodying serious music... I'm not real sure :psyduck:

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Traitorous Leopard posted:

They parody being serious... or parody parodying serious music... I'm not real sure :psyduck:
i cant tell what the slow motion spinning heel kick is parodying, but its doing it well.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Any opinions on the new Psyopus? They released a new album awhile back titled "Odd Senses" and it is indeed loving odd. Listening to the whole thing is pretty uncomfortable until you get to the last track where it lets you down nicely. Definitely listen if you like the previous albums or are a fan of violent and pissed off tech-core.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Spiral posted:

i cant tell what the slow motion spinning heel kick is parodying, but its doing it well.

Fighting ninjas :colbert:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Emmure's new album Felony is out. I like it well enough, but thats just because I love Emmure. Everyone is either saying they're ripping off Korn, Acacia Strain, or Glassjaw though. I don't quiter understand those sentiments

edit: I can't even really say I like it. Its like they got lazy and jus totally overdid the breakdown thing

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 29, 2009

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Emmure's new album Felony is out. I like it well enough, but thats just because I love Emmure. Everyone is either saying they're ripping off Korn, Acacia Strain, or Glassjaw though. I don't quiter understand those sentiments

edit: I can't even really say I like it. Its like they got lazy and jus totally overdid the breakdown thing

Again? I was afraid they wouldn't get off that stupid breakdown-only gimmick... I'll give it a listen sometimes later..

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Cock Soup posted:

Again? I was afraid they wouldn't get off that stupid breakdown-only gimmick... I'll give it a listen sometimes later..
Yeah, I mean I know the breakdown gimmick is pretty overdone in the first place but I still enjoy clever breakdowns and even simpler ones when they are well composed like Emmure's usually are, but this time its like they gave up on creativity and just went with a really abrasive yet completely boring sound :/

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Emmure has the unique ability to get simultaneously better and worse with each album. The song "Sunday Bacon" is a good example of this, as well as "Tales from the Burg" from The Respect Issue. Also note the hilarious song calling out The Acacia Strain (hilarious as in the lyrics are horrible), "R2 Deepthroat". Looks like they took "Skynet" personally. Too bad they are nowhere near as good as TAS and have 1000x worse lyrics. :(

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

krustster posted:

"R2 Deepthroat". Looks like they took "Skynet" personally.

I guess its sad then that I think thats the best new song? Really a pretty terrible album upon second listening. they have lost the touch.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I guess its sad then that I think thats the best new song? Really a pretty terrible album upon second listening. they have lost the touch.

I had no idea the two bands shared "beef". How interesting.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Well, "Skynet" was sort of an insulting song directed at various TAS imitators (of which there are many; like it or not TAS is the template from which many others derive their sound) and I guess the internet was buzzing about how the song was specifically about Emmure. Understandable since Goodbye To The Gallows is basically 3750 with worse vocals, though of course the later tapes are pretty different. Interviews don't yield any more details but in one interviewI read, Vince (from the Strain) said "I don’t want to talk about it. The internet is stupid and full of lies most of the time. I don’t like that band. Bottom line."

So either way, hopefully we can all agree that The Acacia Strain is both the original and also best band of their type, and they can make fun of whoever they want considering how awesome they are. And Emmure both sucks and is awesome at the same time, which in itself is pretty depressing. WHY DON'T THEY JUST TAKE OUT THE loving SPOKEN VOCALS DAMMIT

edit: but if you compare lyrics, "R2 Deepthroat" is obviously in response to "Skynet" whether it was directed at them or not. If nothing else you have to give Emmure credit for having the balls to directly take on the one band that can never be beaten from a lyrical standpoint, and showcase some of the worst lyrics of all time in doing so. "ask your girl how my dick tastes!" Okay, buddy.

krustster fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 30, 2009

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My avatar should give a clear understanding of my stance on Emmure. I'll just say that when I last spoke to Vincent after a show, he just nodded and smiled when I mentioned Skynet being about Emmure.

And anyone who can listen to "A Ticket for The Paralyzer" and not identify it as a lovely attempt at re-creating "Carbomb" is loving high.

gently caress I hate Emmure. Nowadays they're like Limp Bizkit covering The Acacia Strain... Frank's red Yankees cap can't be far from coming.

edit: I should mention that I always laugh when I think about the first night I saw The Acacia Strain. It was in fall of 04 right after 3750 dropped, in a tiny dive pool hall in Orange, CT. They were supporting All That Remains. But who went on before The Acacia Strain? A bunch of 14 year old kids called "Emmure"...

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 30, 2009

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEZjJGjK8sM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrpiAX0wNgo

The acacia strain is the best.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Demolisher posted:

The acacia strain is the best.

This is fact.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009
edit: WHOOPS, wrong thread. I tried talking about power metal

shock.wav fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 31, 2009

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
Just realized today that I hadn't seen this band mentioned yet. I dunno how popular they are, but they've headlined a few tours that came through here recently and their shows are always sick. A lot of their music is really catchy, especially the clean vocals, which is also fun because they do them well without making their music too poppy.

Vanna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3ip068JgM&feature=related (Dead Language for a Dying Lady)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-4r6U0Ohzo (She's a Real Battle Axe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJiJ8Ok7Mc (I Am The Wind, You Are The Feather)

They are the weirdest looking people I have ever seen in my life. The lead singer can't be more than 4 feet tall (slight exaggeration, but he is a tiny guy) and they always have the craziest facial hair. Last time I saw them, they all grew out wild mustaches. They're a trip hahaha.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

MetaKaiser posted:

Just realized today that I hadn't seen this band mentioned yet. I dunno how popular they are, but they've headlined a few tours that came through here recently and their shows are always sick. A lot of their music is really catchy, especially the clean vocals, which is also fun because they do them well without making their music too poppy.

Vanna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3ip068JgM&feature=related (Dead Language for a Dying Lady)

They are the weirdest looking people I have ever seen in my life. The lead singer can't be more than 4 feet tall (slight exaggeration, but he is a tiny guy) and they always have the craziest facial hair. Last time I saw them, they all grew out wild mustaches. They're a trip hahaha.
Dead Language for a Dying Lady is incredibly catchy for some reason

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I was about to curse you out because I thought Vanna = Aiden for some strange reason. Then I listened to Dead Language and realized I have heard that song before. I really dig that song in particular, it has a sound that brings me back to some of the better local bands in the Houston area. :)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

MetaKaiser posted:

Vanna

I had only heard one song from their first EP which was absolutely horrible, but then I listened to "Safe to Say" from their latest CD on some sampler, and that is actually a really solid song. I really like that the screamer isn't shrieking like a lot of the other bands in this genre (Sky Eats Airplane, to name one), but goes down in a deeper vocal register (dunno if that's what you wanna call it, but whatever).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp-1SJXrLOg

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 31, 2009

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
The intro to Dead Language is probably my favorite in any song I've heard. It's hard to stop yourself from moving once the music kicks in. I'd definitely suggest catching these guys live if they ever come by your area (though I just read that they got a new vocalist so if I it isn't what I talked it up to be, I apologize for lying to you all).

Edit: This might not be the place to do this, but this Friday I was going to video tape my band's practice so we had some recording of our music. It'll only be one song that we wrote last week that's about two and a half minutes long. The only problem is we haven't got my bass restrung (no money) so that'll be missing and our PA is just me and the other vocalist on two little Ibanez/Squire amps screaming our lungs out to beat out the the drums. Anyway, if I were to upload it on YouTube and post it here, would everyone be willing to throw some criticism our way (constructive or otherwise; any feedback is good feedback)?

MetaKaiser fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 31, 2009

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
On Between the Buried and Me's MySpace has a teaser from their new album.

It's going to melt faces, that's for sure.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

-Atom- posted:

On Between the Buried and Me's MySpace has a teaser from their new album.

It's going to melt faces, that's for sure.

I've never been more excited for an album. Colors completely floored me, and I'm scared and excited to see how they're going to follow it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?
The BTBAM teaser blew me away. I need The Great Misdirect, now. :(