Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagbag
Oct 5, 2008

Bonk posted:

I don't know if you'd put them in the same genre (math rock maybe?), but I've been listening to a lot of indie rock with weird experimental guitar work like Mew, Deerhunter, and Battles.

What else has the same feel? (I already know about Hella)
Try the Joggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Captain Canada posted:

Can anyone recommend something along the lines of Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue? It's an amazing glitchy album with a lot of elements of different genres of music and I don't think I've heard anything quite like it before.

Definitely check out the likes of Boards of Canada (this is easily Bibio's biggest influence and he's said so, also if I recall correctly he is almost like a protégé of sorts to Boards). There aren't a lot of other bands that sound like him as far as I know, but you might have luck with Tycho, Clark, Black Moth Super Rainbow, and maybe to a lesser extent James Yuill, Hannu, Helios, Four Tet, Caribou, Lone, and a laundry list of others. Also try checking out stuff that falls within the "folktronica" genre.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Bonk posted:

I don't know if you'd put them in the same genre (math rock maybe?), but I've been listening to a lot of indie rock with weird experimental guitar work like Mew, Deerhunter, and Battles.

i wouldn't exactly consider the guitarwork in deerhunter, battles, and hella "weird and experimental." fred frith is experimental.

it sounds like you're just looking for cool indie rock with good guitarwork. in which case i'd recommend:

don caballero - where the guitarist of battles, ian williams, started. they are quite literally legends of the independent 90's music scene

deerhoof - brooklyn quirky jazz-influenced pop rock with a japanese vocalist; they are brilliant

marnie stern - she is horrendous live and i think she is totally overrated, but her albums are loving amazing, largely due to hella drummer zach hill's work/production on them. seriously, her two albums are some of my favorite recent rock albums, period, with great guitar work

june of 44 - another legendary 90's band, get the album "four great points" and after the end of the incredible first track you'll wanna hear the rest

theusaisamonster - jazz-based rock band from new york, they're loving awesome

growing - genius... this is really what you wanna hear, they have a new member and are dancier now, but almost all of their stuff is just two guys with guitarists hooked through synths and it's this really peaceful, powerful, intense drone music. i highly recommend the albums "his return," "color wheel," and "soul of the rainbow, harmony of the light"

gotta go get food, but i have PLENTY more where that came from; feel free to pm/im me

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

DARYL loving HALL posted:

Don Caballero is a great place to start if you just like weird rhythms. If you're into more melodic stuff, try Faraquet and Medications.

this is a REALLY good recommendation post. Faraquet especially.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Can someone recommend me some bands that sound like LCD Soundsystem. As well as The Octopus Project.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Palmtree Panic posted:

Can someone recommend me some bands that sound like LCD Soundsystem. As well as The Octopus Project.

from a few pages ago someone asked about bands similar to calvin harris. there's alot of similarities there, so for sure check out Calvin Harris. also, reposting my list from back there, and someone elses, because the artists are all valid:

also, every band named in this request posts will work for you.

"monkeyboydc posted:

I've been listening to a lot of electronic-ish stuff lately. Bands like, MGMT, The Postal Service, Owl City, Crystal Castles (but mainly just the kinds of things they do with the synths, their lack of lyrics irritates me), Daft Punk (share the problem with lack of lyrics and repetition that I have with Crystal Castles though), Holy gently caress (lyrics would be nice), Ratatat, and all of the synthesizer work in the Yeah Yeah Yeah's new album is cool.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I asked a few pages back, but I didn't get an answer, probably because the initial post was too vague.

Can I get any recommendations in hip-hop based on the Gorillaz album Demon Days, specifically similar to the tracks Dirty Harry or November Has Come, although I really love every track on the album, and I'm willing to go in any direction.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

doctor iono posted:

I asked a few pages back, but I didn't get an answer, probably because the initial post was too vague.

Can I get any recommendations in hip-hop based on the Gorillaz album Demon Days, specifically similar to the tracks Dirty Harry or November Has Come, although I really love every track on the album, and I'm willing to go in any direction.

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (or the group he was in, Hieroglyphics), Roots Manuva, De La Soul, Gnarls Barkley, Pharcyde, N.E.R.D. / The Neptunes, MF Doom, Chali 2na

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
This is kind of a weird request but I'm looking for songs with sampled voices talking over a loudspeaker or PA. Like if somebody took the PA chick from HL2 and put it in a song.

Like on this song by J Church:

http://www.last.fm/music/J+Church/_/Stars+Are+Exploding?autostart

Thanks!

Jaydee
Jul 10, 2006
I'm looking for songs similar to this:

Ray Bryant - Up Above the Rock.

The only version I can find of it online is this pretty poor quality version on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj_IxCMvR44

Essentially, what I'm looking for is 1950s era jazz, in a drak, brooding style, with use of horns or some sort of brass.

Please help!

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
I've been learning cello for a while now and I'm more into rock than classical, so I'm looking for more bands that feature cellists. I currently listen to Murder by Death, Cursive, GYBE!, Silver Mount Zion, and Utah, so any other stuff I can find inspiration from would be great.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Rachel's, Margot and the Nuclear So-and-Sos, Rasputina, Arcade Fire

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

BluJay posted:

I've been learning cello for a while now and I'm more into rock than classical, so I'm looking for more bands that feature cellists. I currently listen to Murder by Death, Cursive, GYBE!, Silver Mount Zion, and Utah, so any other stuff I can find inspiration from would be great.

I would also check out the short lived DC post-emo/indie rock band Smart Went Crazy. It's a little bit more poppy than the stuff you listed, but still a loving solid band.

If you have to choose between the two albums (Now We're Even and Con Art), I would personally suggest Con Art.

you can check samples here: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1431659/a/Con+Art.htm

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
Back again with a new request. You guys have been awesome so far, so I'm pressing my luck :)

I'd like to find some stuff that's...how do I describe this...dark and atmospheric? A lot of the stuff you'd hear on the NIN album Ghosts I-IV is a good example. Examples with words in them (which I'm not entirely opposed to if it adds to the dark, haunting feeling of the music) is the beginning parts of Marylin Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams, or Otep's Invisible.

Any ideas? I'm not even sure what genre to call this, if it has one. Just dark, moody, haunting, atmospheric music. Instrumentals usually work best since a lot of people don't really have the vocals to make words blend well with it, but I'm not opposed to the music having lyrics if it works, like with Manson and Otep.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Jadz posted:

Back again with a new request. You guys have been awesome so far, so I'm pressing my luck :)

I'd like to find some stuff that's...how do I describe this...dark and atmospheric? A lot of the stuff you'd hear on the NIN album Ghosts I-IV is a good example. Examples with words in them (which I'm not entirely opposed to if it adds to the dark, haunting feeling of the music) is the beginning parts of Marylin Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams, or Otep's Invisible.

Any ideas? I'm not even sure what genre to call this, if it has one. Just dark, moody, haunting, atmospheric music. Instrumentals usually work best since a lot of people don't really have the vocals to make words blend well with it, but I'm not opposed to the music having lyrics if it works, like with Manson and Otep.

Without lyrics: Nurse With Wound, Tetsu Inoue, Coil, Lustmord
With lyrics: Einsturzende Neuebauten, Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, Wolves in the Throne Room and Burzum if you like metal

genre would probably be 'ambient industrial' or 'dark ambient', a lot of 'goth/darkwave' and black/death metal also mix kind of soundscape songs with more musical stuff like opeth for example

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 28, 2009

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

etard knievel posted:

Without lyrics: Nurse With Wound, Tetsu Inoue, Coil, Lustmord
With lyrics: Einsturzende Neuebauten, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Skinny Puppy, Wolves in the Throne Room and Burzum if you like metal

genre would probably be 'ambient industrial' or 'dark ambient', a lot of 'goth/darkwave' and black/death metal also mix kind of soundscape songs with more musical stuff like opeth for example

Cool, I'll have a listen to those, thanks :)

EDIT: Okay, I liked Opeth, so thanks for that :) The other stuff was a little TOO atmospheric (especially Nurse and Coil) for my taste. Stuff like that would be better with some musical elements to it, like guitar, bass or piano.

It doesn't have to devolve into heavy metal, just something to break up all the atmospheric sounds...does that makes sense? For example, I watched the video for Nurse With Wound's The Bottom Feeder and liked it for the most part, but it's basically nothing but different sounds fused together. No real rhythm or beat to it. Anything more like Opeth that has some sort of "actual" music blended in? I find a lone guitar or bass, or a piano usually fill this role nicely.

EDIT:
To clarify, I want something similar to this, this, or the first 90 seconds of this. Some of the Ghosts stuff I liked like this are this, this and this. Stuff that is "actual" music, but it's very dark, haunting and atmosphearic.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 28, 2009

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd love if anyone could provide recommendations along the lines of:
  • a) bands that use a symphony-in-X-movements type structure in their songs (sort of like what Godspeed You! Black Emperor had going on Lift Your Skinny Fists), so long-ish; and
  • b)chiptunes! I'm going through a silly gaming nostalgia period and have recently discovered a band called Anamanaguchi; sadly, there's so many chiptune bands that I don't really know where to start/what's good.
It'd be awesome if someone could excuse my relative nubness regarding NMD and provide me with something to listen. :D

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Ansob. posted:

I'd love if anyone could provide recommendations along the lines of:[list][*]a) bands that use a symphony-in-X-movements type structure in their songs (sort of like what Godspeed You! Black Emperor had going on Lift Your Skinny Fists), so long-ish;

Welp the easy thing to do here is recommend lots of different prog rock bands. The guys who adhered to this most were probably Yes. They structured a ton of their songs like this, most famous being Roundabout, though my personal favorite is probably Close to the Edge. That's just part 1 - the song is 18 minutes long or so and takes up all of side 1 of the album of the same name.
Obviously this stuff is a little more bombastic than GYBE, but if really what you're looking for is structure, then it's right up your alley.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007
I'm gay for Michael Phelps.

But everyone's gay for someone - right? RIGHT?
I'm having a hard time finding bands like Disturbed.

I like the moderately heavy theme, with intelligible lyrics with even some funk-like riffs thrown in on occasion, while staying upbeat.

I suppose it's rock/metal or somesuch.

Edit: Also, I'm a complete NMD moron. Please forgive me. :cheers:

Tyorik fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 29, 2009

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jadz posted:

It's a little off from what you are asking for but try Kashiwa Daisuke - 5 Dec.

There is some really atmospheric stuff mixed with orchestral glitch/breakcore and guitars on some tracks.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Tyorik posted:

I like the moderately heavy theme, with intelligible lyrics with even some funk-like riffs thrown in on occasion, while staying upbeat.

You'd probably like White Zombie and Helmet. They're both metal bands with upbeat tempos, syncopated riffs and clean vocals. Here are some of their more popular songs, (which you may already be familiar with)

White Zombie - Thunderkiss 65

Helmet - Unsung

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007
I'm gay for Michael Phelps.

But everyone's gay for someone - right? RIGHT?

Way Past Cool! posted:

You'd probably like White Zombie and Helmet. They're both metal bands with upbeat tempos, syncopated riffs and clean vocals. Here are some of their more popular songs, (which you may already be familiar with)

White Zombie - Thunderkiss 65

Helmet - Unsung

I checked out both of the videos and Helmet seemed like the closest to what I'm looking for, except the vocalist sounds too out of place. The riffs were decently heavy and very syncopated though, which I definitely like.

White Zombie's vocals were a little too hoarse and I couldn't understand them.

:smith:

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Tyorik posted:

You could try Soil. They've gone downhill after changing singers, but Scars and Redefine are good albums. I'd check out Redefine, first. Here's a couple of songs:

Groovier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEcRhNzLeuo
More metally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hIZQsoEvA

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Been into my noise rock for a while with stuff like Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Lightning Bolt, godheadsilo, Jehu etc but I just recently heard Mindflayer and it freakin owns!

What other bands are like this with the more dischordant style and off the wall madness in the tunes? I am freakin loving their Take Your Skin Off album!

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

spe posted:

Been into my noise rock for a while with stuff like Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Lightning Bolt, godheadsilo, Jehu etc but I just recently heard Mindflayer and it freakin owns!

What other bands are like this with the more dischordant style and off the wall madness in the tunes? I am freakin loving their Take Your Skin Off album!

Great to hear, noise rock owns.

You need to hear Young Widows and get their new album Old Wounds.
Took A Turn
Old Skin

And check out Witch Hats too!
Stupid Arrangements

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Yea I've heard Young Widows before and they own. Witch Hats defos sound sweet tho will give em a proper listen.

Also

Bonk posted:

They a bit harsher than indie rock sometimes but give Tera Melos a spin, their self titled album owns a lot as does Complex Full of Phantoms, a split with a more metally band called By The End of Tonight. Might as well mention the Drugs to the Dear Youth ep too since thats also solid.

The guitarist from Tera Melos and awesome drummer legend man Zach Hill of Hella recently made an album together under the name Bygones, considering such a sweet pairing I found it a bit middle of the road but you never know, give it a try dude!

e: to clarify this is from a Battles/Hella standpoint I'm not too familiar with Deerhoof or Mew but I'd like to hear what ppl have to say about em as I'm sure I've heard sweet deerhoof songs in the past.

e2: nvm was getting confused with Deerhoof and Deerhunter lol

spe fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 31, 2009

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tyorik posted:

Try The American Tragedy. I saw them in a tiny dive a few years ago and they really impressed me.

Welcome To The Show = http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-to-the-Show-Explicit/dp/B0010X3OSQ
No Formula (live album) = http://www.amazon.com/No-Formula/dp/B0014DOW6U

The singer kind of sounds like the guy from Disturbed.

shieldforyoureyes
Aug 31, 2009

spe posted:

There were a few years around 1999 - 2001 when Mindflayer were better than Lightning Bolt live.

Melt-Banana, of course.
Afrirampo
Limited Express (Has Gone?)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Gaff Tape posted:

So I recently got really into Minus the Bear, Keane, and Rebelution.

I'm looking for anything with a clean, kind of bass heavy sound, funky time signatures for bonus points, and good instrumentation. A smooth vocalist (s) also.

Anything similar to Keane, preferably a little groovier

Relating to Rebelution, I love the sound of Reggae with a modern twist. Try and keep horns out of it if possible, unless they're taking solos. I don't like ska too much.

Finally if anyone's into climbing, I'm looking for some tunes to put onto my shuffle while I'm on the wall. Minus the Bear has become a staple, but by no means does my music have to fit into that one genre. Recommendations?

Thanks.

I think This Town Needs Guns is quite similar to Minus the Bear: http://www.myspace.com/thistownneedsguns

The Dentist
Dec 23, 2008

we're un-hello now.
I just listened every Radiohead cd in chronological order. I've been a fan since OK Computer. I know that it's probably the most common and laughable occurrence for someone to ask for music that "sounds like Radiohead" when their influence on today's music is so huge. What I'm looking for, mostly out of desperation, is something that will blow my mind the way they did/do. I don't want to be that guy who listens to Radiohead all day. Because, right now, I AM that guy. I'm sorry. I know there's more out there.

The trouble is, when I peruse Pitchfork etc, it seems that I have to put in so much effort to "like" these bands. Sometimes I wonder if I even like them. I don't think you should have to try so hard for music to overwhelm you with how awesome it is.

Some other bands that have really blown my mind in similar fashion, are also the typical: Sigur Ros. Wilco. Arcade Fire. Mewithoutyou. I also like Pedro the Lion/David Bazan, Band of Horses, Deerhoof, Bright Eyes, Cake, Muse, Metric/Emily Haines.

I need to expand, and my feeling is that there are those of you out there who get my vibe and where I'm coming from musically, and have perhaps expanded a bit more than I have and can point me in the right direction with something that will Radiohead me.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

The Dentist posted:

I just listened every Radiohead cd in chronological order. I've been a fan since OK Computer. I know that it's probably the most common and laughable occurrence for someone to ask for music that "sounds like Radiohead" when their influence on today's music is so huge. What I'm looking for, mostly out of desperation, is something that will blow my mind the way they did/do. I don't want to be that guy who listens to Radiohead all day. Because, right now, I AM that guy. I'm sorry. I know there's more out there.

The trouble is, when I peruse Pitchfork etc, it seems that I have to put in so much effort to "like" these bands. Sometimes I wonder if I even like them. I don't think you should have to try so hard for music to overwhelm you with how awesome it is.

Some other bands that have really blown my mind in similar fashion, are also the typical: Sigur Ros. Wilco. Arcade Fire. Mewithoutyou. I also like Pedro the Lion/David Bazan, Band of Horses, Deerhoof, Bright Eyes, Cake, Muse, Metric/Emily Haines.

I need to expand, and my feeling is that there are those of you out there who get my vibe and where I'm coming from musically, and have perhaps expanded a bit more than I have and can point me in the right direction with something that will Radiohead me.

I like this post and your attitude, and I've been in similar territory not too long ago, so I'll do the best I can to help. I have to run soon so could I just look for you on AIM (inweaknessbe right?) later? I'll have plenty to send and talk to you about. I certainly won't be able to tell you about everything though, so I hope other people after me make some good rec's

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 31, 2009

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I like to listen to pop-ish rap and mash up while I work out, but the downside is that the sugar on the artists tends to run out after a while so I was looking for new stuff. For mash up, usually more frenetic is better. Stuff like Super Mash Bros., E-603, Ludachrist, and Milkman works well. For rap it's more around Curren$y, Donnis, and Bangers and Cash (already have spank rock). I would prefer stuff more like Donnis because he tends to be a bit faster paced.

Thanks for your help and let me know if I need to be more specific.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

The Dentist posted:

Pitchfork isn't really the best place to randomly try new music even if you like indie rock just because some of the stuff they like really sucks, unless you can get like their top 100 songs of the year and just go down and find out which ones you dig or something. But there really aren't any bands I'd describe as being 'like Radiohead' but also having their own identity. But based on the other ones I'd try The Shins, Fleet Foxes, Broken Social Scene, Cursive, Dirty Projectors, Modest Mouse, Wolf Parade, Pavement, The National and Brand New. And talk to FFB.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Where to go after Elliott Smith? His music makes me want to cry - in a good way. I'm already a huge fan of The Shins, Iron and Wine, and Sufjan Stevens, so I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. Should I go further into folk, maybe?

A few examples of my favorite tracks:
Needle in the Hay
Between the Bars
Southern Belle
Alameda

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

doctor iono posted:

Where to go after Elliott Smith? His music makes me want to cry - in a good way. I'm already a huge fan of The Shins, Iron and Wine, and Sufjan Stevens, so I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. Should I go further into folk, maybe?

A few examples of my favorite tracks:
Needle in the Hay
Between the Bars
Southern Belle
Alameda

Bon Iver - For emma, forever ago
Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I see a darkness
The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee
Bright Eyes - I'm wide awake, it's morning
Nick Drake - Pink Moon

There is lots of 'sad folk' but I think those albums/bands are the most like Smith

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Or, going in a different direction, maybe "a couple dudes in a room" lo-fi indie rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBLwDURkRPI

The Dentist
Dec 23, 2008

we're un-hello now.

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

I've been in similar territory not too long ago, so I'll do the best I can to help

We talked, you gave me some recs, you are my rad homeboy

etard knievel posted:

Pitchfork isn't really the best place to randomly try new music even if you like indie rock just because some of the stuff they like really sucks, unless you can get like their top 100 songs of the year and just go down and find out which ones you dig or something. But there really aren't any bands I'd describe as being 'like Radiohead' but also having their own identity. But based on the other ones I'd try The Shins, Fleet Foxes, Broken Social Scene, Cursive, Dirty Projectors, Modest Mouse, Wolf Parade, Pavement, The National and Brand New. And talk to FFB.

Yeah, I hear you about Pitchfork. They're really hit or miss. Thanks for the recs, three of those I already like- Broken Social Scene, Dirty Projectors, and Modest Mouse, but I haven't gotten into any of the others, I'll do some investigating.

My first post might have been slightly misleading; I do listen to a lot of different music, but coming down off an intense radiohead session, I feel at once both lazily self-indulgent and frustrated that there's so little out there that can have that same impact on me.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm looking for some really raw and menacing electronic stuff, tracks like Stress by Justice, or Omen by The Prodigy. It's going to be mainly my playlist when I'm running.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Skilleddk posted:

I'm looking for some really raw and menacing electronic stuff, tracks like Stress by Justice, or Omen by The Prodigy. It's going to be mainly my playlist when I'm running.

Supermoves by Overseer

Elektrobank by the Chemical Brothers

Also check out the Propellerheads.

The genre you're looking for, by the way, is "Big Beat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

Big Beat is a good rec for stuff like The Prodigy but Stress is more like electro house, if you like that check out Digitalism, Mr. Oizo, Vitalic, Para One, Wolfgang Gartner, Surkin and D. Ramirez, and there's also a Justice thread floating around with more stuff along these lines