Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Stripped out the interior of the miata to get it ready for putting in the rollbar tomorrow. Cut out a bit of sheet metal and just removed plastic junk basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I finally wrapped up replacing my cracked oil pan and got an alignment done. Good as new, and I did not even have to pull the engine like it says in the service manual :D

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Insight, Civic Hybrid, or Prius?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Baby Hitler posted:

Insight, Civic Hybrid, or Prius?

Civic Hybrid. I had known that the electric motor was sandwiched between the engine and transmission, but was not really expecting it to be literally one gasket removed from the crankcase.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Had me wondering :wtc: the copper was. Makes sense though I guess.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ordered some new glow plugs for the hilux.

See if i can get this bugger to start properly cold.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Blend door acuator for my 300m. I have heat again! :woop:

Took about an hour, and it wasn't nearly as awful a job as some make it out to be. Book time on it is 6 1/2 hours...I did it in under 90 minutes.

But...found out why I needed it. The airbox condensation drain tube is majorly clogged, so water was sitting in the bottom of the blend door area, flooding the acuator, thus killing it. Now I need to get the car on a lift to unplug the bastard.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Grashnak posted:

I got new wheels and tyres for my car today. It now looks a hell of a lot better than it used to.

Unfotunately they are pretty cheap wheels but they were the only white wheels I could find that would fit on the car. Availability of things is one of the downsides to living in a country town.

Heres a picture with the old wheels for reference

Holy crap the new wheels are infinitely better than the old ones. Nice Celica!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

BabyJesus posted:

Holy crap the new wheels are infinitely better than the old ones. Nice Celica!

Yep, the new whites are a hell of a lot nicer. Good work.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I installed the spare wheel/tire and jack kit I bought to replace the idiotic air compressor/sealant combo that Pontiac put in the G8 GTs. I wish I had thought to do that before I got a flat a few weeks ago.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I replaced the ignition coil in my brother's 1995 Acura Integra so now he can drive his car and I can have my 1991 Mercury Tracer LTS back.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I installed the spare wheel/tire and jack kit I bought to replace the idiotic air compressor/sealant combo that Pontiac put in the G8 GTs. I wish I had thought to do that before I got a flat a few weeks ago.

Did you get it from JHP? I have been thinking about getting one myself.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Coredump posted:

Is this a Forrester? Why does it look so badass? Before the wreck obviously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Stagea

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice
I took my supercharger off yesterday afternoon. I didn't enjoy the obnoxiously loud whine it made, and prefer the noise my car made when it was N/A. Yes, it's slower, but I think, ultimately, more enjoyable.

For reference, here is the car.

94 ED Falcon, 5sp man, fairly warm 4.0 inline 6.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 28, 2018

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

Fuelslt1 posted:

Never, ever post in this section of the forum again.

I take it you don't approve of the supercharger removal? :ohdear:

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 28, 2018

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

Fuelslt1 posted:

That would be a valid statement sir.

B-b-but.. it's not all about power!!

I also installed better quality springs and shocks, raising the car a little. Better handling is a substitute for grunt?

:eng99:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Aquatic Daredevil posted:

B-b-but.. it's not all about power!!

I also installed better quality springs and shocks, raising the car a little. Better handling is a substitute for grunt?

:eng99:

Maybe you should submit some video of a similarly supercharged ED for the jury to decide. I love the sound of a roots blower; I can't imagine how loud it would have to be for it to be annoying.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Fuelslt1 posted:

Never, ever post in this section of the forum again.

No poo poo. Why would you take off a supercharger. More Power Auh Auh Auh . You do know that if you rev it high enough the supercharger will start to sound like a jet engine, right?

What's the matter with you? I am hereby revoking your man card, you will be required to turn it in no later than ten days after the revocation date. :colbert:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

What's the matter with you? I am hereby revoking your man card, you will be required to turn it in no later than ten days after the revocation date. :colbert:

Seconded. :colbert:

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Did you get it from JHP? I have been thinking about getting one myself.

I got the wheel/tire from a guy on grrrr8.net and the jack kit from Pace Performance. The jack kit and their oil change special were my first purchases from Pace, and I'm pretty happy with them.

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

It was a centrifugal supercharger, not a posi-displacement. Don't get me wrong, I love a supercharger whine, but not an uneven, high pitched, ear peircing WHEEEeeeEEEeeEEEeeeEE at idle. This was not a pleasant noise. At least with a PD charger the noise rises with the revs, this thing was always screaming.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey, he's got a proper engine and transmission in there, he could paint it with pink penises and it'll still be more of a car than I usually see here in Indiana.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

It was a centrifugal supercharger, not a posi-displacement. Don't get me wrong, I love a supercharger whine, but not an uneven, high pitched, ear peircing WHEEEeeeEEEeeEEEeeeEE at idle. This was not a pleasant noise. At least with a PD charger the noise rises with the revs, this thing was always screaming.

Do they even have a Toyota Prius there? the little hybrid electric thing. You just needed to find some screaming eco retard and follow them around with your loud s/c shreiking at them.

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

Vanagoon posted:

Do they even have a Toyota Prius there? the little hybrid electric thing. You just needed to find some screaming eco retard and follow them around with your loud s/c shreiking at them.

Heh, it was running a little rich, was always good to give Pious drivers a load of unburnt fuel as I cruised past. Goddamn eco-hippies. gently caress the planet and all that.

I think I'll be using some of the proceeds from the charger to fund a 330mm, twin piston brake upgrade. Mustang rotors with VE Commodore calipers, modified uprights; should be better than the milk bottle tops I have now.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I got the wheel/tire from a guy on grrrr8.net and the jack kit from Pace Performance. The jack kit and their oil change special were my first purchases from Pace, and I'm pretty happy with them.

Thanks for the info. I had been on Pace's site before looking for the rear lower bumper piece from the GXP (no mesh). Don't know anyone that has actually ordered from there so I was a little leery.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Heh, it was running a little rich, was always good to give Pious drivers a load of unburnt fuel as I cruised past. Goddamn eco-hippies. gently caress the planet and all that.

ha ha, gently caress you, dick.

content:
I finally got around to putting a new oil pan gasket in the 86 Starion today. While I was there, I could see all the oil that leaked out all over the underside of the car :smith: even half way down the exhaust... what a yucky mess I've made :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I changed the headlight bulbs in my car today. Took me ten minutes. :downs:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Close. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Avenir (the second pic on Wikipedia is actually my car)

Annoyingly I still haven't got the frigging thing back, all the bodywork was done a week or so back but they're having trouble sourcing a replacement airbag. Grrrrr, kinda wish they'd just totaled it.

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
Replaced the air filter on my Sentra, and told my wife I'm not shaving until she lets me buy a 300zx.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I built a new under body spare tire carrier for my truck.

My Dodge Dakota had a spare tire carrier already, but it's been completely frozen by corrosion for years. I have a new spare tire now, so last night I removed the rusted tire carrier, and started thinking about how to make something to replace it.

I took a trip to Lowes this morning and bought some things including the biggest eye bolt I could find, two large washers for that eye bolt, a thick connecting pin, a lock nut for the eyebolt, and This thing. Cost me about $20 total.

There is a smallish hole in the part of the frame where the old tire carrier used to be. I put the eye bolt up in that hole and used the thick pin to keep it in place.

That three wheeled caster I bought, notice in the image that it has a hole in the middle of it? That hole is just big enough to fit the end of the eye bolt through it. I broke off the three wheels on that caster, and now it works pretty good as a giant washer to keep the tire from slipping off the eye bolt. Two actual washers, and two nuts, the one that came with the eyebolt, and the lock nut for good measure will keep my improvised giant washer from going anywhere.

I tested it after I finally got it all figured out, and the pair of vise grips I always keep in my truck can undo the whole thing. I just finished spraypainting the bolt and washers to keep the rust at bay (Why have history repeat itself?)

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
Today I totalled my car. Rolled it at least twice. Just bought it, too. A nice smart little 2003 Mazda Protege LX sedan.

Krokodul
Oct 24, 2005

Nedaleko ot boltovni i spletni do izmeny!
Got the engine back together and reinstalled the transmission. Tomorrow, I'll put the engine back in my car (VW Lupo), hook up all the wires, hoses and stuff and hopefully fire her up for the first time in more than a year. :toot:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pulled my windshield washer fluid bottle to find the leak. Leak was coming from the pump. The pump still pumps, and I'm not about to go buy a $30 pump, so I used JB Weld Putty to make a shell around the pump. Now it does not leak.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced my Volvo's fog light bulb, only to find out the fog light still does not work. Time to search the wiring. Boo!

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Replaced my exhaust manifold gasket on my 94 civic...3.99$ and no more killer fumes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well...let's see. There's a auto-x/mini track day (go cart course that's big enough for cars, but no huge long straights to get up to really high speeds) so I worked to get the Miata ready for the first real event since I bought it.

-Got roll bar bolted in.
-trimmed interior panels and carpet for said roll bar.
-put SFI padding and vinyl cover on roll bar.
-took apart driver's seat and cut out some foam so I'd sit a little lower. Without a helmet I'm below it, with one I'm above. gently caress.
-reinstalled rest of interior.
-new rear brake pads and e-brake adjustment.
-swapped wheels/tires with my civic since I bought the miata with lovely tires on it and the civic has azenis 615's on it.
-put redline fluid in the diff.
-changed the oil for the first time with some pennzoil platinum. The oil filter had a date of 12/28/08 on it written by the PO. :rolleyes:
-Cut off the downpipe heat shield since it's been rattling like crazy and removed the bracket for it that had a broken bolt on it (wasn't doing anything since the bolt was snapped).
-vacuumed out the inside. Still needs washed tomorrow before the event.
-Patched a small hole in the top

It's been a long day. After all this and there's a chance of rain tomorrow. :( Hopefully it stays nice and I get to spin out a few times while I get acquainted with this thing. (1994 Miata R package)

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nothing on my cars, but I did replace the door handle on my mother-in-law's '98 Camry. God I hate working inside of doors, and I hate trying to work in / around rain. Dealt with both today :emo:

Tomorrow, oil changes for both Mazdas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Installed a new stereo into dads prado as a fathers day present yesterday. Slept in today!