Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

The BTBAM teaser blew me away. I need The Great Misdirect, now. :(

Yeah, it pretty much floored me. I can't loving wait.

Here's another awesome band that isn't signed. The vocalist sounds just like Trevor from Black Dahlia murder and well the music just kills. 2:55 to 3:17 is heavy as poo poo.

Nova Prospect - An Evil Insurmountable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJHo7ggucK0

EDIT: This song is loving killer too. I suggest getting their full length.
Nova Prospect - Of Rot and Rapture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QQKAZlJVZg&feature=related

And for those into Tech Death with little 'core' elements thrown in. 4:23 to the end is so good. so drat good.

Vale Of Pnath - Carcosa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdNrdQW5rvc

MalConstant fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

New Black Dahlia Murder leaked.

That BTBAM sample ownz.

BMTH are gay boy poser faggots.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

A5H posted:

That BTBAM sample ownz.

BMTH are gay boy poser faggots.

I seriously don't understand why Every Time I Die wants to go on tour with BMTH. Well, I heard they party a lot, so maybe that actually explains it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

I seriously don't understand why Every Time I Die wants to go on tour with BMTH. Well, I heard they party a lot, so maybe that actually explains it.

If this is true, ETID are dead to me. >:[

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

BMTH... is that Bring Me The Horizon? gently caress

I love ETID and will see them no matter what but... gently caress

I can't wait for ETID's new record

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bring me the horizon yeah.
I hate them so much.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

A5H posted:

This is really good. They basically improved their sound in pretty much every department. Solos are more epic, riffs are ridiculously technical, drumming flows much better (also ridiculously technical), Trevors vocals own even harder. Plus the production is flawless.

So far this sounds pretty drat good, and I loved Nocturnal. I think they're realizing their potential.

EDIT: Also, this bitch is HEAVY. Probably their most aggressive album to date.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 1, 2009

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

A5H posted:

Bring me the horizon yeah.
I hate them so much.

I'm not sure what all the hate for 'em is over. They're not a particularly great band, but I don't think they're awful either. They're less technical than some, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

For instance, is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL6-Zdf-1rQ such a bad song? The lyrics are kinda silly, but most are.

Not my favorite band, or even in my top 10 really, but I don't see what's so bad about them :colbert:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I'm not sure what all the hate for 'em is over. They're not a particularly great band, but I don't think they're awful either. They're less technical than some, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

For instance, is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL6-Zdf-1rQ such a bad song? The lyrics are kinda silly, but most are.

Not my favorite band, or even in my top 10 really, but I don't see what's so bad about them :colbert:

poo poo poo poo poo poo.
Trend hopping faggots.
Sykes is a oval office. His clothing brand is poo poo.
The fans are pathetic 15 year old girls that think they are edgy.
He can't hold his drink either:

heh

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Eight Is Legend posted:

They're both on Epitaph is the only reason I could think of.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

A5H posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo.
Trend hopping faggots.

heh

ok so the band/fans are fags, but what about the muuuuuuuuuuuusic :haw:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

ok so the band/fans are fags, but what about the muuuuuuuuuuuusic :haw:

It's poo poo.
Literally they are everything that is wrong with this side of the music world.
Basically like brokencyde but less funny.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

A5H posted:

It's poo poo.

It seems to me that you guys haven't heard their new album. Although they still look like (and are) faggots they became over 100,000x better musically. JUST SEE FOR YOURSELF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JQhe5qT1Aw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmpGqqYbYs4

:c00l:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

A5H posted:

It's poo poo.

gently caress you, both the old album and the new one are loving sick and comparing them to Brokencyde of all bands is a loving travesty of travesties

I can understand why they wouldn't appeal to you but they are hardly comparable to that band.

krustster posted:

It seems to me that you guys haven't heard their new album. Although they still look like (and are) faggots they became over 100,000x better musically. JUST SEE FOR YOURSELF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JQhe5qT1Aw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmpGqqYbYs4

:c00l:

Word. Listen to the new and old albums to hear some straight up intense music. Also, whats with all this talk of them being faggots? They sound like they would be tight as gently caress to chill and drink with or whatever.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
I don't really see where all this hate is coming from. I thought the first album was pretty tight. Not musically impressive or anything, but it's got some good catchy riffs and breakdowns and stuff.

A5H posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo.
Trend hopping faggots.

heh
I can understand if you don't like the music, but if you really get all in a rage about stuff like this then maybe you should re-evaluate why you listen to music period. I don't know what 90% of the people in the bands I listen to look like, what they like to do in their personal time, or what the fans look like. And I don't give a poo poo.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

The Dirtyness posted:

I don't really see where all this hate is coming from. I thought the first album was pretty tight. Not musically impressive or anything, but it's got some good catchy riffs and breakdowns and stuff.

I can understand if you don't like the music, but if you really get all in a rage about stuff like this then maybe you should re-evaluate why you listen to music period. I don't know what 90% of the people in the bands I listen to look like, what they like to do in their personal time, or what the fans look like. And I don't give a poo poo.

Yes. I agree. I listen to a lot of bands that look like douchebags but who cares? And really why should I give a gently caress if one of the members of the band "can't hold his drink" or whatever.

edit: or what their loving clothing brands are like...WTF?

krustster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 2, 2009

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=229561

Bad band. Terrible people. loving hell I can't believe you people like this poo poo.

heh yeah real fun dudes to chill with heh

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

A5H posted:

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=229561

Bad band. Terrible people. loving hell I can't believe you people like this poo poo.

heh yeah real fun dudes to chill with heh

quote:

sucks that they are faggots, I still like the music

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

haha i dunno pissing on a chick because she doesnt want to gently caress you is pretty goddamn rock and roll

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
seriously you loving pussy. i'm not saying peeing on a bitch is the most excellent thing ever but it has little to no bearing on the music anyway

and god drat if they didn't write some catchy songs on the first album

edit: as long as were judging people we don't know through random media on the internet, i watched a couple interviews of oli sykes in my time and he seemed pretty alright

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

i think most of the judgement is based on them writing horrible music, pissing on girls and throwing liquor bottles are actually positive in this case.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
i dont think the music they write is horrible.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

The whole point is that their music (at least the new stuff if you ask me) is 100% sweet, not horrible. But then "Spiral" is the same guy that said By Blood and Iron is playing the same music as The Faceless so maybe he should be barred from this thread.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I really don't get the self-hate for metalcore here. Obviously we're all in this thread to talk about it and yet we have people saying "99% of the music discussed here is horrible".

I think it's ludicrous that talking about metalcore can get you tossed out of the 'proper' metal thread. Take, for example, the first track off the new Architects album. That first riff sounds a lot like Meshuggah and yet one of these bands is 'acceptable' and the other one isn't.

Personally I think black metal all sounds pretty much the same and would happily toss that out of the metal thread so why is it that metalcore is being annexed? Maybe someone with a bit more metal knowledge can enlighten me?

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I really don't get the self-hate for metalcore here. Obviously we're all in this thread to talk about it and yet we have people saying "99% of the music discussed here is horrible".

I think it's ludicrous that talking about metalcore can get you tossed out of the 'proper' metal thread. Take, for example, the first track off the new Architects album. That first riff sounds a lot like Meshuggah and yet one of these bands is 'acceptable' and the other one isn't.

Personally I think black metal all sounds pretty much the same and would happily toss that out of the metal thread so why is it that metalcore is being annexed? Maybe someone with a bit more metal knowledge can enlighten me?

Because metalcore is considered mainstream. It's not cool to like music that trendy scene kids listen to. The metal elitists think it's generic and boring to listen to. Whereas if you listen to bands like Bolt Thrower and Destroyer 666, you're welcomed in the online metal world.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Obviously we're all in this thread to talk about it and yet we have people saying "99% of the music discussed here is horrible".

That's because a large number of posts in this thread are about objectively terrible bands, not because it is bad as a genre. I enjoy a number of terrible bands but I don't get all mad about it when someone correctly points out that it is bad music.

bmth is really really bad boring music made by stupid children for stupid children

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ShimaTetsuo posted:

That's because a large number of posts in this thread are about objectively terrible bands, not because it is bad as a genre. I enjoy a number of terrible bands but I don't get all mad about it when someone correctly points out that it is bad music.

bmth is really really bad boring music made by stupid children for stupid children

This.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Fair enough. Seems silly that's all. I suppose drawing an arbitrary line and saying everything on one side is X type of metal and over there is Y metal is pretty silly really anyway. I wonder if other genres have this problem? Does deep house hate minimal house?

Looking for some recommendations anyway. Is there anything else like Every Time I Die around? Big Dirty was awesome. I guess that sort of southern flavour with some good riffs and melodic bits.

Also, in terms of post-rock/post-metal and metalcore crossovers - is there anything? Any bands known for metalcore songs with slow, brooding bits a la Isis and Cult of Luna?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Looking for some recommendations anyway. Is there anything else like Every Time I Die around? Big Dirty was awesome. I guess that sort of southern flavour with some good riffs and melodic bits.

Look into He Is Legend's "Suck Out the Poison" or Maylene and the Sons of Disaster's "II" or self-titled.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Fair enough. Seems silly that's all. I suppose drawing an arbitrary line and saying everything on one side is X type of metal and over there is Y metal is pretty silly really anyway. I wonder if other genres have this problem? Does deep house hate minimal house?

Also, in terms of post-rock/post-metal and metalcore crossovers - is there anything? Any bands known for metalcore songs with slow, brooding bits a la Isis and Cult of Luna?

If like like ETID, check out Maylene And The Sons of Disaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maylene_and_the_Sons_of_Disaster#Discography) Someone in another version of this thread recommended them to me and they're awesome. I have "II" and it owns. poo poo, they apparently have a new album out called "III"... I need to get on that.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I don't give a flying gently caress who makes the music I listen to as long as it has crazy energy :colbert:

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim

Nigel Tufnel posted:

On their Apnea album, The Psyke Project have some post-metalish bits. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5WLwmxEhIg

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

ShimaTetsuo posted:

I don't see what's boring about it (featuring the vids I posted) but since nobody feels like explaining other than "OLI SYKES = FGT" and also "THEIR FANS = FGTS" then we'll just leave it at that.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Architects and From a Second Story Window would fit that bill maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYCJ3-GfGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=541Juu0V7mU

krustster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 2, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Sure. I guess if you want to go on about how they are soooo objectively terrible you can, but it gets so loving silly with anyone coming in with a band they like and some internet cool guy comes in with his unique and wonderful opinion that they are "really really bad boring music made by stupid children for stupid children."

The first album is good for what it is, catchy, energetic deathcore. Its hardly boring, I mean if you don't loving like it or want to like it you're obviously going to think it is boring?

quote:

Yes, look up Irepress on myspace. If you like that (I'm sure you will) then get a hold of their album.

quote:

Because metalcore is considered mainstream. It's not cool to like music that trendy scene kids listen to. The metal elitists think it's generic and boring to listen to. Whereas if you listen to bands like Bolt Thrower and Destroyer 666, you're welcomed in the online metal world.

This times a million.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MalConstant posted:

See, that's part of it, but it's really not the whole story.

The problem isn't one of popularity, but one of overexposure. Because the genre is so popular, like every genre, what invariably happens is that the most generic, most watered-down elements (Whitechapel, Suicide Silence, etc.) get the airplay, get the fanbase, and they're the ones that we have to put up with hearing this crap from. We have to deal with a constant deluge of Generic Breakdown Band on the radio, from other people's cars, and from the endless gushing of a bunch of fans who, in a loving paraphrase of DannyManic, love going to shows but hate music. Invariably, they'll end up tacked onto shows of metal bands they don't fit with. Given enough time past the time the genre stops being overexposed, what happens is that the poo poo falls back to the bottom where it belongs, and people can listen to a few of the bands and go "okay, this was actually pretty cool."

I don't doubt that every once in awhile, someone comes up with a LOLcat or a Chuck Norris joke of sheer brilliance. I'm just so tired of the overexposed poo poo that I really don't give a gently caress. So many terrible metalcore bands are floating around right now that there's just not enough hours in the day to find another Coalesce or Botch. Same thing goes for this terrible retro-thrash revival, which thankfully doesn't take itself nearly as seriously.

The other problem is that, like nu-metal preceding it, way too much of the fanbase is made up of either scrawny white high school students who are raging against mall security guards, or testosterone-infused wife-beating ex-Marine losers with something to prove (or their drunken college frat equivalents). It's drat near impossible to enjoy the music without being associated with those people. Any genre of music where bands write songs about their bro-beefs with other bands is going to lend itself to that kind of bullshit.

Then there's the bands who are Gothenburg with boring breakdowns, and a lot of metalheads were sick of that scene's Iron Maiden-ripoff harmonized thirds 10 years ago. Use your imagination.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 2, 2009

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
new HTB song http://www.shockhound.com/features/733-exclusive--hear-horse-the-band-s--arrive--here-first

No breakdowns here though :>

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Misogynist posted:

stuff about metalcore

I'm not going to argue with you about whether what you've said is true or not because I am sure it is in many respects in some places, and totally true in others. The fact is though, those are problems with any genre of music. And while I don't exactly appreciate the fact that some bands aren't being creative with their music and are following the metalcore explosion, I still enjoy the music and in case you haven't noticed, bands in all genres rip each other off and have trends in their music.

And as far as fans go, there are many fans of metalcore who go to shows and truly enjoy the music. I used to go to shows every weekend 2-3 times a week, and it wasn't because I loved the shows more than the music. Sure there are fans that are like that, but I see an awful lot of faggoty "real" metal kids around and a lot of wanna-be "gangsters" and such.

Basically your argument assumes that every fan is like that and that the hate is somehow warranted because of the fact that it is popular. Hell, I don't think that the Vanna band that was discussed earlier makes the most original music in the scene, but it is well composed and fun to listen to.

sorry that probably wasn't super coherent.

I really don't like the boring breakdown trend however, and if a band is going to make breakdowns from this point forward I think it should be the main point to make sure they are well composed/unique/not in every song or at least sound really really cool :)

Its a pretty good song, but i don't understand how it is "desperate" and such how the article describes.

really cool song actually.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Its a pretty good song, but i don't understand how it is "desperate" and such how the article describes.

really cool song actually.

It's pretty upbeat for being on an album called Desperate Living, but the keyboard melodies, to me, are less gimmicky and bleep-bloopy and more touching and pretty. And even though I can understand most of the words I don't know what the gently caress he's singing about as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

That album art photo is pretty drat amazing.

Why can't I be as cool as them? :(