Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

CaptainHollywood posted:

I think that's a lot less true today than it was even 10 years ago. Before the most serialized a show would get would be in a two-part episode, and rarely would there would be any advancement of character growth. I really the whole "TV can be as good as movies" movement started with the advent of the Sopranos. Even American-made comedies started to get 'smarter'.

Yes, that's true. I think HBO and other cable shows (and the West Wing) are kind of exempt from what I said about most American TV, as they're completely devoted to putting lots of money into very high quality viewing. It's not quite as much of a ratings grab as people are paying for their service anyway, so they can take risks and make a show about gangsters in a family situation or a serial killer who murders bad people (the Showtime example). I wouldn't say American-made comedies are getting that much smarter across the board, and when I say this I talk about success. Compare According to Jim's eight seasons to Arrested Development's two and a half.

People have often said this about the BBC, i.e. they get a licence fee from the population every year so in theory they should be making the most ambitious programs on television, but they don't really do this. That said, they're clearly comfortable putting a sci-fi of wildly varying quality as their Saturday Night flagship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Burnt through Sons of Anarchy fairly quickly, and I really really want to like it. My problem with it is the same as my problem with The Shield, in that I just don't believe it, and there's not enough violence or cursing. I should stop hoping every crime based TV series is as perfect as The Wire or Phoenix I guess.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

glasnost toyboy posted:

I should stop hoping every crime based TV series is as perfect as The Wire or Phoenix I guess.

You should stop doing this, you'll only be disappointed until you die. I assume you're still relatively young and that's a very long time to not enjoy TV.

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Compare According to Jim's eight seasons to Arrested Development's two and a half.

Different networks - FOX has a history of cancelling shows with a cult following. Furthermore, Arrested Development wasn't as accessible as According to Jim. Not that According to Jim is that funny either, but that's besides the point.

As an aside, I hated AD and really don't understand why all of you love it so much. Usually, I can see why people like a show even if I don't (case in point - the US Office),but I watched the entire first season of AD and didn't enjoy it in the slightest. I kept waiting for it to get good and then just gave up.

As for comedies getting smarter - I could put up How I Met Your Mother, but one show doesn't make a trend.

Also - all of you go watch HIMYM.

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.
Just watched the first series of Dexter. loving hell.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jedi posted:

As an aside, I hated AD and really don't understand why all of you love it so much. Usually, I can see why people like a show even if I don't (case in point - the US Office),but I watched the entire first season of AD and didn't enjoy it in the slightest. I kept waiting for it to get good and then just gave up.
HIMYM aside, what other comedies do you like? AD is in a way liked so much because it's completely different other sitcoms and very much breaks the mold. No laugh track, a writing staff that is completely self-aware, loads of referential humor, and an ability to build up jokes up episodes before they happen (seriously probably the the best humor-based continuity you'll ever find)...that type of "smart" humor is the kind goons would just dig the hell out of it. It's not that hard to imagine, is it?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Nate RFB posted:

HIMYM aside, what other comedies do you like? AD is in a way liked so much because it's completely different other sitcoms and very much breaks the mold. No laugh track, a writing staff that is completely self-aware, loads of referential humor, and an ability to build up jokes up episodes before they happen (seriously probably the the best humor-based continuity you'll ever find)...that type of "smart" humor is the kind goons would just dig the hell out of it. It's not that hard to imagine, is it?

There's also shows like Californication, Entourage, Weeds, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. 15 years ago the only comedies on television people watched were Friends and Seinfeld.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

HIMYM aside, I watch mostly stuff on cable or British stuff (Coupling, Extras, The OFfice). About the only other comedies I watch on regular TV is Family Guy and American Dad, and I don't really watch that stuff all that often anymore either. I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of My Name is Earl, but hated the last two.

AD seemed almost a little too over the top for me. I got the impression, whether this was intended or not, that the writers were going "LOOK OUT KIDS! HERE COMES THE WACKINESS!!" Anyway, I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying it, I just find it categorically unfunny. I know I'm in the minority around here and I'm fine with that.

Also, in re: laugh tracks - both The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy are two of the greatest comedies ever written and both hadw laughter. I'm not one of those people who flips out over hearing one. I can tune it out and it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of a program one bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When it comes to laugh tracks, I think HIMYM is the only show that seems like it's impervious to its problems. It will probably stand the test of time. The only other show I think I'd include in this conversation as well is Seinfeld. I've read plenty of threads, some even here, about why the laugh track is necessary, but every single time I hear it in any other show I'm immediately pulled out of it and don't like it. A lot of sitcoms I used to love when I was younger aren't nearly as enjoyable now as a result.

I don't know what is the biggest influence or reason for it (US Office, 30 Rock?) but whatever started the trend for some sitcoms to abandon the laugh track was probably the best thing to ever happen for me, television-wise. AD was actually one of the shows, along with Firefly, that got me back into television.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Malcolm in the Middle was one of the first ones that I remember not having a laugh track and it really benefited from it. I have also been catching a lot of reruns and I still think it is every bit as awesome as it used to be.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I finished Harper's Island fairly recently. There was a lot I liked about it and a few things I didn't. I thought it stayed pretty consistently good throughout, although I was a little disappointed in the survivors. The ones who lived were kind of predictable. I was hoping there'd me more people you wouldn't expect to live, like Tank from The Matrix.

Now I'm binging through The Venture Brothers. I have no idea why, but this show is way funnier to me than it has any right to be. No matter how much I watch it it never gets old.

Meow Cadet posted:

Ugh. I just finished episode 6 of Carnivale. I know I'm going to be upset when it ends, but I hate hearing it. On the upside, I thought it was only 1 season long, so when I recently learned it was 2 seasons long, I was pleasantly surprised.
I hate to say it because I thought it was a great show, but I thought Daniel Knauf signed the show's death warrant in season two. I thought the imbalances in screen time between the plot threads got ridiculous. Plot threads that were uninteresting or predictable took center stage, while lesser-seen but interesting characters got pushed to the wayside and the main story just dragged. I actually thought Scudder and Management were the most interesting stories from the show, and I was really disappointed with how they played out and how much time they got. Fortunately, the behind-the-scenes documents Knauf released explained a lot of that.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

CloseFriend posted:

Now I'm binging through The Venture Brothers. I have no idea why, but this show is way funnier to me than it has any right to be. No matter how much I watch it it never gets old.

I have watched "The Lepidoptorists" in season 3 and, like every ep of season 2 a ridiculous amount and I still laugh my rear end off every time. I freakin love it, there is something about that show where it just stays funny forever.

For content, after I got hooked on Veronica Mars, I got my roommates hooked on it too. They were a little skeptical after the first episode, what with her getting dumped, her friends abandoning her, her dad getting fired, her mom leaving, her best friend's murder, and her getting raped, they were a little concerned that the show would be a little too dark. Fortunately they got sucked in pretty quickly and are so sad that my season 2 hasn't gotten here yet. We won't be watching season 3 though, after the advice of everyone here. I'm content with pretending the end of s2 is the end of the show, and I think they will be too.

My biggest concern, other than them not liking the show cause it's too dark, was that they'd hate Logan forever after the bum fights episode. I kind of agree with them hating him for that, because really, even as messed up as his life is, there's really no excuse for what he did there. But they quickly started liking him after that amazing kiss on the balcony. :swoon:

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Jedi posted:

AD seemed almost a little too over the top for me. I got the impression, whether this was intended or not, that the writers were going "LOOK OUT KIDS! HERE COMES THE WACKINESS!!" Anyway, I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying it, I just find it categorically unfunny. I know I'm in the minority around here and I'm fine with that.

I can understand how you'd get that impression from the third season, but the first two have so many subtle jokes that people are still catching them during their 3rd and 4th run-through of the series. Even still, the "wackiness" that inevitably arrives is funnier and better thought-out than 99.9% of television comedies.

I'm a little over halfway through the first season of Six Feet Under. It is certainly interesting and pretty quirky oh god Nate's GF possible incest alert christ, and I'm also shocked by the fact that it came out in 1999. Definitely ahead of its time.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Leviathan posted:

I'm a little over halfway through the first season of Six Feet Under. It is certainly interesting and pretty quirky oh god Nate's GF possible incest alert christ, and I'm also shocked by the fact that it came out in 1999. Definitely ahead of its time.

Prepare for the greatest ending in any series I have seen. If you don't cry you have no heart. :colbert:

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Leviathan posted:

Hey fellow Six Feet Under virgin! :hfive:

I just wrapped up episode 10 of the first season. I'm absolutely all over this show. I thought it was going to be completely overrun with sadness and drama but when they pull out the funny, its hilarious.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

calandryll posted:

Prepare for the greatest ending in any series I have seen. If you don't cry you have no heart. :colbert:

drat everyone keeps talking about the ending and I want to see it now...5th season is so far away at this point. Also, unless the ending is sadder than Life is Beautiful + Schindler's List + What Dreams May Come + Of Mice and Men put together, I'm probably not gonna be shedding any tears.

LoudLoudNoise posted:

I thought it was going to be completely overrun with sadness and drama but when they pull out the funny, its hilarious.

Totally agree.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 5, 2009

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

calandryll posted:

It sort of had an emotional impact for me, but Ball somehow made pretty much every character on the show annoying as hell so it didn't do much.

VV Yeah, he was the only tolerable character left.

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 5, 2009

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

RoryGilmore posted:

It sort of had an emotional impact for me, but Ball somehow made pretty much every character on the show annoying as hell so it didn't do much.

Pretty much this. I also hated the ending because the death montage shows that Keith, the one tolerable character, dies from getting shot while on the job. It's like the writers just wanted to sneak in one more punch to the nuts even at the very end.

Bombajio
Jan 23, 2006

Hasta la vista, meatbag!
I just finished season 2 of Chuck. One of the best shows I've seen and I can't wait for more!

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Oh man, the SFU scene in 1x11 where Rico is eyeing the baby with the scalpel and it makes him puke...the thought of what he had to do even made me uncomfortable, and to give you some reference I completely dissected an old lady's arm in anatomy this past summer. That illustrious class included activities like: skinning the drat thing manually, removing all the subcutaneous/muscular fat (which has a tendency to liquefy as the cells rupture), and using a surgical saw to separate the hand from the forearm.

Also, I'm hoping I'm way off on the foreshadowing of Rico's wife's death after the OB says she has preeclampsia. It just seems way too cheap and contrived for this show.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 5, 2009

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Just finished It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - what a funny show. I think it might even beat out Arrested Development for me. Anyone know other good comedies that are similar to those two? they're by far the best tv comedies I've had the chance to see. I love watching completely despicable people for some reason.

Salt Block Party fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 6, 2009

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Newsradio is awesome and all the characters pretty much do horrible things to each other, especially Phil Hartman.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Oh I know. News Radio was my favorite show when I was a kid. At least until Hartmann died. It was still ok with Lovitz on it but the first few years were gold.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
^^^Check out Andy Richter Controls the Universe if you haven't already. More on the surreal end, but I didn't realize until rewatching it years later that most of the cast were total dicks to each other.

Jedi posted:

Also, in re: laugh tracks - both The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy are two of the greatest comedies ever written and both hadw laughter.
I don't really think this is an apt comparison. Nobody cared in the 50s, especially since in the TV market they were more or less the only game in town. Both also had live studio audiences, where HIMYM is taped on soundstages and location shoots, then shown to an audience whose reactions are recorded.

I got used to it in HIMYM after the first handful of episodes or so, and I barely notice it anymore, but I still could do without it. Even if I don't notice it or mind it, it doesn't add anything to the show.

Leviathan posted:

drat everyone keeps talking about the ending and I want to see it now...5th season is so far away at this point. Also, unless the ending is sadder than Life is Beautiful + Schindler's List + What Dreams May Come + Of Mice and Men put together, I'm probably not gonna be shedding any tears.
Take all of those and mash them up into a slow, growing pile of misery and sadness. That's seasons 4 and 5.

The 4th season premiere in particular is completely gut-wrenching. Everyone harps on the finale, which IS excellent, but the final scene of 401 and something else that happens a few episodes before the finale make for some of the most unfathomably dark TV I've ever seen.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Jedi posted:

AD seemed almost a little too over the top for me. I got the impression, whether this was intended or not, that the writers were going "LOOK OUT KIDS! HERE COMES THE WACKINESS!!"

No one I've ever showed Arrested Development to has gotten this vibe at all. Maybe smoke some :420: and try not to over analyze it the goony goon way? If you can't laugh at "Pier Pressure" (arguably in the top 3 best episodes) there is something seriously wrong.

Just finished Harper's Island a few days ago and thought it was pretty good. Surprised at the amount of gore they got away with on a CBS show and I'm hoping the DVD shows a little more (especially the kill at the end of the first episode). The reveal at the end felt a little weak but maybe it'll be better if I rewatch the series knowing the reveal ahead of time.

Been binging through Lost since the first 4 seasons showed up on Netflix and I'm just now starting the 3rd season. The first 2 were pretty awesome and intriguing, not without it's share of clunkers though. I still can't really stand to see Charlie flashbacks and pretty much tune out whenever it's a Charlie-centric episode. Season 3 has started out pretty good so far though I'm not really liking how they've just kind of dismissed what exactly happened when they stopped pressing the button. Hopefully it'll be addressed as the season goes on?

The Duke fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 6, 2009

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After finally catching an episode of 30 Rock, I went out and bought season 1 and watched it through basically in one go, and have been re-watching it regularly.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

The Duke posted:

Just finished Harper's Island a few days ago and thought it was pretty good. Surprised at the amount of gore they got away with on a CBS show and I'm hoping the DVD shows a little more (especially the kill at the end of the first episode). The reveal at the end felt a little weak but maybe it'll be better if I rewatch the series knowing the reveal ahead of time.
On my second watch-through the main thing that occurred to me is that Henry and Wakefield had to have both largely winged it and worked separately for a lot of the time, since a lot of the confirmed Henry kills (the Reverend, Richard, Katherine) only gave him a short aperture of time to execute them. Mostly, I just found myself curious as to how the series would have gone down differently had the death order been different.

I did notice one thing, though. All the major characters who live are people whom Wakefield gave a reprieve at some point. Jimmy got to live in exchange for the sheriff. Madison got to live because nobody left the island while she was kidnapped. Wakefield agreed not to kill Shea because Madison did what he said. Then, of course, Abby was being saved for Henry.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Bonk posted:

The 4th season premiere in particular is completely gut-wrenching. Everyone harps on the finale, which IS excellent, but the final scene of 401 and something else that happens a few episodes before the finale make for some of the most unfathomably dark TV I've ever seen.

I forgot about that part of it. That is also a really excellent episode, well the majority of them are really excellent. Best beginning death scene is the crazy Christian lady who sees the blow up dolls go into the air thinking it is the rapture.

mostlikelyme
Nov 8, 2006

by Peatpot

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know what is the biggest influence or reason for it (US Office, 30 Rock?) but whatever started the trend for some sitcoms to abandon the laugh track was probably the best thing to ever happen for me, television-wise. AD was actually one of the shows, along with Firefly, that got me back into television.

To the best of my knowledge, Curb Your Enthusiasm was the real influence here, starting in 1999 with the fake documentary, improv heavy no laughtrack comedy style that seems to be emulated in many, many comedies since (Office, 30 Rock, Always Sunny..., etc). It is also the best.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

The Duke posted:

No one I've ever showed Arrested Development to has gotten this vibe at all. Maybe smoke some :420: and try not to over analyze it the goony goon way? If you can't laugh at "Pier Pressure" (arguably in the top 3 best episodes) there is something seriously wrong.

I don't think I should need weed to enjoy a program. Secondly, the goony goon thing seems to be to fellate the creators for blessing us with the show, so I'm not sure how not enjoying it makes me even more goony.

I don't like the show - I don't think you're nuts for liking it, it's just not for me. I also can't stand any of the original shows on Adult Swim.

Bonk posted:

I don't really think this is an apt comparison. Nobody cared in the 50s, especially since in the TV market they were more or less the only game in town. Both also had live studio audiences, where HIMYM is taped on soundstages and location shoots, then shown to an audience whose reactions are recorded.

Fine - Cheers and Frasier then. All I'm saying is that unlike most the people here, I can look past a laugh track. The way most of the people in this forum talk about a laugh track, you'd think a Hollywood sound editor raped their grandmother's corpse while fingerbanging their mother at the funeral. I don't think it adds anything either, but I hardly think it detracts.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Jedi posted:

Fine - Cheers and Frasier then. All I'm saying is that unlike most the people here, I can look past a laugh track. The way most of the people in this forum talk about a laugh track, you'd think a Hollywood sound editor raped their grandmother's corpse while fingerbanging their mother at the funeral. I don't think it adds anything either, but I hardly think it detracts.

Seriously, there are a ton of good shows that have laugh tracks. It's just a different style, really.

mostlikelyme posted:

To the best of my knowledge, Curb Your Enthusiasm was the real influence here, starting in 1999 with the fake documentary, improv heavy no laughtrack comedy style that seems to be emulated in many, many comedies since (Office, 30 Rock, Always Sunny..., etc). It is also the best.

The Office is the only one of those shows that is a fake documentary (and very loosely, I might add).

Fantabulero
Apr 28, 2009

POP, POP!

Nate RFB posted:

I didn't regularly watch any sitcoms since Seinfeld ended, simply because I just didn't find any to be especially funny. Then I got addicted to the early seasons of Scrubs, then I discovered Curb, then AD and The Office came along, and finally 30 Rock, which might be my current favourite. Overall, I'd say the state of television comedy has gotten a lot stronger in the last ten years. They may not reach an audience the size of "Friends" or "King of Queens" or whatever, or even last as long, but I think they'll be much more fondly remembered in the future.

Jedi posted:

Matter of preference, I suppose. I generally don't mind/notice when it's a show from 10+ years ago, but it seems odd to me when a show purposely uses a laugh track now. The main thing that bothers me is it seems like wasted time, as every time the actors pause and gawk at each other waiting for the laughter to die down, they could be setting up another joke. The settings are also generally more limited, since shooting on location is still generally rare for four-camera sitcom setups. (And often I find the acting will be more hammy in live-studio-audience setting than it is in single-camera format, but that's not always the case.)

And of course, there's always the point that I'd much rather not be told when to laugh.

I do like HIMYM, though. I don't love it or watch it regularly, but I enjoy it enough, and think it generally works in spite of the laugh track. I think I'd enjoy the show more without it, but I'm not accusing the producers of performing illicit acts on family members' corpses either. :)

Fantabulero fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 6, 2009

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Few episodes into the second season of SFU :ughh:. Claire must be one of the dumbest characters in the history of TV, I just wanna slap her upside the head.

e: please tell me there are episodes as good or better than "In the Place of Anger" cause that one was incredible

ee: Brenda is a vapid, shallow, pretentious whore

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 7, 2009

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Just started on House. I've caught the odd episode here and there and thought of it as a decent but standard medical procedural, but watching it in order I'm realizing it's actually quite a great little character drama.

I'll probably be blitzing through this pretty quickly.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

A month ago I was going through The Tudors off the Netflix instant queue. I can't wait for season 3 to hit.

Now I'm going through Rome. We have the cheapest version of Netflix available so I'm currently stuck getting 1 DVD at a time. I'm thinking of bumping it up to the next level for a month so that I can have 3 DVDs out at a time and thus enjoy more TV seasons.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Been binging through Six Feet Under like a mofo and I'm almost done with season 3. I can pretty squarely say that I have not been a fan of this season...please tell me it gets good again.

edit: also, i think brenda looks like dennis from 'it's always sunny' in drag

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 11, 2009

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

jeffersonlives posted:

Just started on House. I've caught the odd episode here and there and thought of it as a decent but standard medical procedural, but watching it in order I'm realizing it's actually quite a great little character drama.

I'll probably be blitzing through this pretty quickly.

It veers off the procedural stereotype and really develops as a show in the last 2 seasons. Can't wait for the next one to start.

Dromedary Today
Jun 16, 2007

Tomorrow!

Bombajio posted:

I just finished season 2 of Chuck. One of the best shows I've seen and I can't wait for more!
Just starting on season 2 now. So glad I found out about this show! I like everything is just a bit over the top :)

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

For the two or three of you currently watching Six Feet Under keep on trucking! I finished it about a month ago and it is beautiful. Things change, things stay the same, things get worse and they get better. Season 3 lulled a bit for me, but it kicked back up again.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Bombajio posted:

Finished Chuck S2 last week and it was great fun (even moreso that I didn't have to wait a week between eps). Now I'm wading through S4 of Supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Minimaul posted:

For the two or three of you currently watching Six Feet Under keep on trucking! I finished it about a month ago and it is beautiful. Things change, things stay the same, things get worse and they get better. Season 3 lulled a bit for me, but it kicked back up again.

Holy poo poo, the I Brake for the Rapture opening in 4x02 was brilliantly hilarious.