Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Since this thread is already full of bitches (and Ace) enjoying their sexy coolaroo beds, I thought I'd add Josie on hers.

She loves to collect her toys on her bed. If we let her, she'd probably construct a mountain of toys there.

She's also into sprawling indecently all over it.

I can't believe how grown up she's gotten. She's 10 months old now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joozy
Jan 15, 2004
moms looking for a corgi in the so cal area. i checked the breeder page in the OP and they are too far away and it doesnt look like there is any availability. does anyone know of any good breeders in the socal burbank/glendale area? im willing to drive!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

joozy posted:

moms looking for a corgi in the so cal area. i checked the breeder page in the OP and they are too far away and it doesnt look like there is any availability. does anyone know of any good breeders in the socal burbank/glendale area? im willing to drive!

Well the first thing to do is read through the puppy FAQ stickied at the top of PI, for general puppy advice and information.

You'll also want to decide if you're looking for a Cardigan Welsh Corgi or Pembroke Welsh Corgi, they're two different breeds with different qualities. I'd start with the breed clubs when looking for a reputable breeder.

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/
http://www.cardigancorgis.com/

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.

joozy posted:

I'll just tell you right now, Cardigans are where it's at.

I mean, look at this girl:

daww

Snuphaluphagus
Feb 14, 2006

TheLoveliestRedhead posted:

daww

Kind of got a :downs: look to her, doesn't she?

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.

Snuphaluphagus posted:

Kind of got a :downs: look to her, doesn't she?

:mad:

She heard you, you know.

TheLoveliestRedhead fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 30, 2009

Snuphaluphagus
Feb 14, 2006

That is an F-U face if I ever saw one... must have been a bad angle on the last pic.

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006

Snuphaluphagus posted:

That is an F-U face if I ever saw one... must have been a bad angle on the last pic.

She was being majestic in the first pic.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

daww

She just looks serious. My husband and I sometimes joke that corgis are serious business. Josie often has important things to do, like protect our yard from crows, and inspect the house to make sure everything is in its place.

And yeah, after having Josie, I'm sold on Cardigans. I mean, no offense to the Pems out there. They're great too, but think our Cardi has just about the perfect temperament for us.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

:colbert:

Yeah, she's a lot skinnier now.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

my corgis

let me show you them

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

warwick5s posted:

let me show you them

The one in the couch :3:

Also, content:

Note: Snaps is a girl and that is not a penis. It is a belly button fur tuft :colbert:

Edit: Laser pointer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgSw3YJjfno

lu lu lu fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 3, 2009

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

warwick5s posted:

my corgis

let me show you them

HEY I know those two, they're the best corgis around!! :)

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

warwick5s posted:

my corgis

let me show you them

How do you keep your couch so clean :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

paddiep posted:

HEY I know those two, they're the best corgis around!! :)

sup dude

elf pr0n posted:

How do you keep your couch so clean :(

It's microfiber so it doesn't collect a ton of standing hair, but it's completely destroyed due to drool, barf, rawhides, and other assorted stains. From here on out it's going to be nothing but leather couches.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I want a Corgi burrito now. :(

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9YZpZAyU0g

Allison loves sucking head.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

lu lu lu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9YZpZAyU0g

Allison loves sucking head.

Wow, that really seems like it would be horrible in any other context.

Ace would just rip the raccoon's face off, he's a jerk.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

My wife and I bought Frank a supposedly indestructible chew toy / doll because we wanted him to have something soft to play with and lay on. The girl at the PetSmart assured us that he couldn't chew threw it and it felt pretty solid / tough. . .but even then I set that time that it would take Frank to destroy it at just under a week.

He didn't have it for more than an hour before he had gotten all the stuffing out from the inside. He was determined to get the stuffing and when I went back to see if he had just torn a huge hole in it or what, I realized that he had pretty methodically pulled out all the stitching in a straight line down the back. Determined little destructo-dog!

Original.Evil
Apr 9, 2007

by mons all madden

Murphy is a good 3 year old dog who thinks he is a lapdog, even though he is a bigger sized corgi. He will also fight any size animal or any size person that threatens my mom (or whenever my mom decides to act scared), without exaggeration -he tried to take on a 15 hand horse once- he will raise his hair + growl with teeth effects, but will never hurt a person because he's too easy to please.

Sophie is 4 IIRC (and not that fat like the picture would make it), and has reared several good litters of puppies that we enjoyed adopting out to people we knew (both dogs are AKC certified, vet inspected, vaccinated, parents on premises, handled daily, etc). She is also a big loaf and doesn't stop barking and will not listen to anyone else except my mom when she is present. She would stick so close to us when we fed the horses that when we turned around we would kick her because she was literally on our heels, lol.

Also Lucy, the ratt terrier/chihuahua/whatever mix who has anger issues but is a good rat dog. We named her Lucy without thinking that it could be short for Lucifer, which is what she sometimes is, but she is a good dog who will also fight literally any other animal that she thinks threatens my mom (how does my mom get dogs to do this?)

We have a freaking menagerie of pets (at least 15) and we know them all by name/characteristics, including a guard donkey (seriously), a pony named Brad Pitt and a one-eyed cat that will tackle birds out of the air. If theres interest I'll post a thread, if not enjoy the corgis!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Original.Evil posted:

Sophie is 4 IIRC (and not that fat like the picture would make it), and has reared several good litters of puppies that we enjoyed adopting out to people we knew (both dogs are AKC certified, vet inspected, vaccinated, parents on premises, handled daily, etc).

For the flames we are about to receive, Father, we thank thee.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Original.Evil posted:

Sophie is 4 IIRC (and not that fat like the picture would make it), and has reared several good litters of puppies that we enjoyed adopting out to people we knew (both dogs are AKC certified, vet inspected, vaccinated, parents on premises, handled daily, etc).

I like this thread, and don't want to be personally responsible for the shitstorm that will inevitably come from your statement, but I do want you to realize that PI has a history of supporting only responsible breeders. What do I mean by responsible breeders? Well the original PI FAQ should help to sort that out.

Personally I would be interested in hearing what titles your dogs have, and what kind of contracts you "adopted" the puppies out under...

PI FAQ posted:

Finding a reputible breeder

This is a rather tricky one at times depending on the dog breed that you are looking to get, if you are looking to get a super popular breed then you can almost be assured that there are going to be people who are out there pumping out puppies for cash with no concern for the health of the animals.

The quickest way usually is to contact the local breed club for the specific breed that you are looking at to see if there is a breeder in your area. The national club would be the place that you would want to get the information about your local club, going to and searcing for " club of America" would bring up the club that you are looking for right away. It is entirely possible that you will not have a breeder close to you, one that is having puppies at that time or one that doesn't seem to be very reputible.

If you are still having problems finding a breeder or want to know if someone is reputible, post about it in Pet Island. You will have ALOT of people offering ALOT of information very fast and you will be able to make an informed decision. If you are looking for a breeder, it is possible that you have a PI regular living near you who knows someone in that breed or knows someone who knows someone. The more I get into the dog world the more I am finding out that it is a large family, it can be catty as hell at times but still a family.

The big 3 things that should scream at you about someone who is a Miller or a Back Yard Breeder (BYB) are:

1. Will not let you visit their kennels/home at all.
2. Are breeding non-championed dogs.
3. Their idea of health testing is "they have gone to the vet and gotten shots!"

Let's step through these points one by one as to why they are important.

First of all, #1, they won't let you visit their kennels/home. Would you want someone to come and see your kennels if you animals are all covered with their own poo poo and placed in cages small enough to make veal cattle enclosures seem spacious? While you might think that this is an exagerattion, it is unfortunately not. Millers put as little money as they can into maintaining the animals and attempt to get as much money out of them as they can through pumping out puppies.

Secondly, breeding non-championed dogs. You are thinking, why they hell would I want my dog to come from championed lineage? This isn't a showdog, it is a pet! When a dog is Championed that means that it has conformed to the standard enough to be recognized as a example of what the breed should look like. Why is this important? The standard for the animal describes everything: behavior, body mass, body structure, size, etc. A non-standard animal can have problems in any of those area's, but usually you see problems in behavior/tempurment and body structure with Mill bred dogs. If that doesn't seem that bad, imagine playing $2500/hip for a dog with hip dysplasia. While it is possible for your reputible breeders dog to have this possible, the chances will be lower given the stringent breeding research that is done.

Lastly, health testing, given the vast array of genetic problems that can happen with any dog just "taking them to the vet for shots and a couple of pokes" isn't going to be enough. There are genetic problems that are specific to certain dog breeds that need to be checked for; dysplasia, liver, thyroid, etc. While the shots are extremely important at a young age, checking the pups for genetic problems is important as well. Especially since if they aren't checking the pups, they aren't checking the parents and could be breeding two high probable displasic dogs together. There is alot more that goes into breeding dogs than throwing two dogs in a room and watching them rut.

While you might think that you are rescuing an animal from these conditions, I can assure you that you are most certainly not. Every dog that you remove is replaced by another and all you have done is given them more cash to operate with.

A reputible breeder will do most if not all of the following.

- Will want you to come and visit the kennel, they would like you to come and see their dogs and talk with them about what your plans with the dog are. - Will provide you with the pedigree of the dog, including showing the papers of their dogs.
- Will talk about the championships and titles that their dogs have obtained. - Will discuss the health testing and number of vet visits that their animals have obtained.
- Will discuss the health concerns that the breed has, hip/elbow issues, heart/liver problems, etc. Which relates back to the previous point. - Will require you to have a vet ready to go back home so that you can get the dog checked out upon return to your house.
- Will require a contract with the dog that will place the dogs interests above your own. What this means is that they will require the dog to be spayed/neutered and will put a clause in the contract that if you have to get rid of the dog for any reason that you will give it back to the breeder. There are usually clauses in there for the removal of the dog from a bad home, sometimes they are unusually broad though so make sure about what you are reading. If you are getting a show dog, breeding specifications will be built into the contract as well.
- Will place the dog on a limited registration, this means that the animal will not be able to register any puppies which would issue from it. Full registration is reserved for show animals that will be used to continue the line.

Now, if this information isn't offered up you should ask about it. All of it. Things to look out for:

- A breeder more concerned if you are able to pay for the dog than if you are right for the dog. A monetary concern leans heavily towards breeding for cash rather than the betterment of the breed which is what a good breeder should be doing.
- A breeder that will not allow you to visit the kennels and insists on meeting at a site that is "neutral". This rings puppy mill like no ones buisness. They don't want you to see where the dogs are from because you will flee in horror from the conditions that they keep their animals in.
- A breeder that doesn't require you to spay or neuter your pet quality pet. This tells you that they really don't care about what you do with the animal, more specifically they don't care if you start up your own breeding buisness. Because the more the merrier, right?
- A breeder that cannot show you a pedigree or is breeding non-championed animals. This person is not breeding for any reason other than to make dogs, they don't want to ensure that their animals conform to the standard for the breed. In fact, their animals are most likely so far out of standard that they wouldn't be able to show them, even if they were registered. A side note on breeding non-championed animals to championed animals, it is possible that the non-championed dog was pointed before something happened that caused it to be unable to finish. This would be a question to be very specific about, if the dog was on a roll and getting points and had a major under their belt but then was hit by a car persay and cannot be shown. It might be possible that they were breeding from expected future performance. But, this is still a very questionable practice.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 3, 2009

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Original.Evil posted:

If you breed a litter, the people who receive the puppies are 'buying them' not adopting them. Hope this helps.

Unless you actually use your corgis for herding livestock on a daily basis, and sell puppies to people who also use the dogs for a working purpose, you and your family are big ol' bybs. Congratulations on contributing to the pet over population problem. Have your corgis been hip/knee/eye tested? I'm guessing not!

Also; for a bitch to have had 'several litters' by the time she's 4 is loving gross. Spay your poor bitch.

Edit: Oh awesome that quote from the PI faq doesn't mention working ability at all, and is full of misinformation as to what a Champion title actually means. Nice.

notsoape fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 3, 2009

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006

notsoape posted:

If you breed a litter, the people who receive the puppies are 'buying them' not adopting them. Hope this helps.

Unless you actually use your corgis for herding livestock on a daily basis, and sell puppies to people who also use the dogs for a working purpose, you and your family are big ol' bybs. Congratulations on contributing to the pet over population problem. Have your corgis been hip/knee/eye tested? I'm guessing not!

Also; for a bitch to have had 'several litters' by the time she's 4 is loving gross. Spay your poor bitch.

Edit: Oh awesome that quote from the PI faq doesn't mention working ability at all, and is full of misinformation as to what a Champion title actually means. Nice.

Thank you. Now that they've been chastised, let's try not to turn the corgi thread into a flamewar.

Also, the FAQ is a community effort, so if you feel that there is misinformation on there, I'm sure if you submitted suggestions to the right person, they would be incorporated.

OH MAN, IT'S THE GIRLS!

Click here for the full 684x912 image.

Click here for the full 684x912 image.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
There is already a bookmarked post for people to post pictures of their pets with no discussion. If somebody wants to brag about their lousy breeding practices in the rest of the forum, they should be prepared to encounter some criticism/discussion about it. If not, then they are dumb and didn't read the faq.

Look at the bunny thread, rat thread, pibble thread etc. If somebody posts in those threads and reveal their lovely husbandry regarding bunnies/rats/pibbles, they are called out on it. Often by more than one person! It doesn't stop those threads from also featuring cute pictures of bunnies, rats and pit bulls.

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006

notsoape posted:

There is already a bookmarked post for people to post pictures of their pets with no discussion. If somebody wants to brag about their lousy breeding practices in the rest of the forum, they should be prepared to encounter some criticism/discussion about it. If not, then they are dumb and didn't read the faq.

Look at the bunny thread, rat thread, pibble thread etc. If somebody posts in those threads and reveal their lovely husbandry regarding bunnies/rats/pibbles, they are called out on it. Often by more than one person! It doesn't stop those threads from also featuring cute pictures of bunnies, rats and pit bulls.

Yup. And that's why I thanked you. My parents are now the owners of a 6 year old female Pembroke that had at least 6 litters, where the BYB got rid of her for "not being a good mother." God, I wouldn't have either, if all I was used for was a baby factory! I understand that these people need to be told that what they're doing is wrong. I just didn't want that to be all that went on in this thread, since I appreciate seeing pictures of the other corgis and hearing about them. If you would read the thread, you would notice that the thread is a lot of pictures, but it also is a place for corgi-specific advice. I appreciate having a place where I can speak with other corgi owners about the problems/craziness inherent to the breed.

No hard feelings, please. :glomp:

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006

elf pr0n posted:

:colbert:

Yeah, she's a lot skinnier now.

I don't think anyone had commented on this. I love this picture. It has an artsy feel to it.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

No hard feelings, please. :glomp:

Ok cool - I thought the 'thanks' was sarcastic :x. Internet! :)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

I don't think anyone had commented on this. I love this picture. It has an artsy feel to it.

elf pr0n is known for an artistic flair, a true muse of anime (dogs).

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

I Love You! posted:

elf pr0n is known for an artistic flair, a true muse of anime (dogs).

My dog is an anime super star

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

elf pr0n posted:

I didn't realize they had fat anime characters. The more you know.

But really I like that picture and your dog :)

I can't say anything cause my dog recently plumped up.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

elf pr0n posted:

that is good.

Pretty much my first encounter with SA forum is you posting anime room in FYAD so im glad you have anime dog i'd be very let down otherwise

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

More corgis, yes? Zeke is a superstar swimmer!

We also just found out that one of his molars has a bad slab fracture and will need to come out next week. Poor dude :(

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

He looks so angry at me

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Miss Indy posted:

We also just found out that one of his molars has a bad slab fracture and will need to come out next week. Poor dude :(

I love the blue merle corgis and want one to add with Gizmo.

How long did you have to search for yours?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Every single Corgi we meet at the dog parks around here are total assholes. :colbert:

Its a good thing they're cute. :v:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
All corgi's are assholes, they have a Napoleon complex. Milhouse is King Douche of South Loop.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Miss Indy posted:

You got Zeke from Afara/Paul Chen, yes? How did that go? I've heard mixed things about Afara. I'd love either a Cardi or a Pem, so I'd love to hear your experience with that breeder.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace loves all people, so much so that he chills out with random strangers at the dog park more than other dogs.

What they don't know is that the second you're on the ground Ace will be in your face trying to eat your boogers. I'm sick of having my nose nipped. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

My dogs actually like people more than dogs. I'm sure Ula would run away and join another family if someone gave her the choice :v:

• Locked thread