Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!

zandert33 posted:

That's still a slap in the face. This set is going to cost a pretty penny, nobody but the craziest Kurosawa freak is going to rebuy the movies they already own (especially if they own most of them) just to get a couple of unreleased movies.

Criterion better do right by us, and release any extra films the same time they release the box.

Um, why not just sell your old copies of the movies and use the money to buy the boxset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

juan the owl posted:

Um, why not just sell your old copies of the movies and use the money to buy the boxset?

WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE!!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

juan the owl posted:

I'd only do this if the box is Blu-Ray, or at least contains the Blu-Ray Kagemusha.

I wish they'd just come out and say exactly what they have planned.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's possible that due to the complexity of the box, they can't confirm anything. They're probably still working on getting Ran back from the Weinsteins, Dersu Uzula from Kino/Mosfilm, etc. Although, the latter can't be that big of a deal outside of film element issues since they've licensed from Kino and Mosfilm.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

The Lucas posted:

I like this one better than the Advent Calendar one that was floating around for a bit.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

It's pretty bland to me. I don't like the Gommorah cover but at least they did something kind of cool with it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion is having a contest to tie-in with Jeanne Dielman in their latest newsletter.

Make a cooking video involving meatloaf, cutlets, or potatoes and upload it to YouTube. You'll submit it as a video response to Criterion's main video for the contest. Most popular on YouTube wins a $100 gift certificate, Criterion's pick wins a PS3.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The list of all the IFC Films titles came out today. Obviously, A Christmas Tale and Gommorrah are the first two, with Che also coming. The other seven are...

Y Tu Mama Tambien
Following
Everlasting Moments
Summer Hours
Hunger
Still Walking
The Secret of the Grain

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

The list of all the IFC Films titles came out today. Obviously, A Christmas Tale and Gommorrah are the first two, with Che also coming. The other seven are...

Y Tu Mama Tambien
Following
Everlasting Moments
Summer Hours
Hunger
Still Walking
The Secret of the Grain

Nothing there too mind-blowing, but a few intriging selections. Still Walking is very nice, and Assayas (Summer Hours) can be interesting. Following ought to make the Nolan fans happy. I didn't like Y Tu Mama Tambien all that much. I keep hearing about Jan Troell (Everlasting Moments) but haven't gotten to any of his stuff yet.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Y Tu Mama Tambien
Following
Everlasting Moments
Summer Hours
Hunger
Still Walking
The Secret of the Grain

Some interesting stuff I guess. Deep down I was hoping for The Pleasure of Being Robbed but I didn't really expect it to happen. I also wonder if they'll go after My Winnipeg at some point, to go along with Brand Upon the Brain!.

I've heard a lot about Summer Hours, so I'm looking forward to that title in particular as well as Hunger. This also makes you wonder which of these will be released on blu-ray as well, it's hard to tell after A Christmas Tale got the shaft.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to someone at CF.org, they confirmed with Castle Hill that Stagecoach is part of the "Caidin Film Trust" library that's been licensed to Criterion. So, it's not just a one-off title. Looks like Criterion also got Foreign Correspondent, I Married a Witch, To Be or Not to Be, and Welles' Othello.

I know it's a lot of already released stuff, but the existing Othello DVD is awful. Plus, Criterion will be able to port the laserdisc stuff and hopefully get Filming Othello as well.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Who owns the rights to Campanadas A Medianoche (1965)/Chimes at Midnight/Falstaff?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SubG posted:

Who owns the rights to Campanadas A Medianoche (1965)/Chimes at Midnight/Falstaff?

I would strangle 10 newborn children for Criterions of that + The Trial.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I didn't care for Chimes At Midnight but hell yes to The Trial. Apparently there's a really glorious print rolling around out there somewhere.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I almost bought the cheap R2 UK DVD from Optimum, but it's said to be the 1980s re-edit, which deleted the "Before the Law" prologue... despite being officially licensed from StudioCanal. That's like cutting out cutting out the newsreel sequence in Citizen Kane!

No idea why Criterion couldn't get this film, though. It's StudioCanal and it's Welles. My only explanation is that Milestone has some sort of exclusivity in R1, but their DVD has no mention of being licensed from SC.

I'd love to see a Criterion BluRay of The Trial, though. Or any Welles in HD, considering Warner isn't releasing Citizen Kane until 2011.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Here we go

quote:

AK 100: 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa
Project Details
Synopsis:

The creator of such timeless masterpieces as Rashomon, Ikiru, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and High and Low, Akira Kurosawa is one of the most influential and beloved filmmakers who ever lived — and for many the greatest artist the medium has known. Now, on the occasion of the centenary of his birth, the Criterion Collection is proud to present this deluxe set celebrating his astonishing career. Featuring twenty-five of the films he made over the course of his fifty years in movies — from samurai epics to postwar noirs to Shakespeare adaptations — AK 100 is the most complete set of his works ever released in this country, and includes four rare films that have never been available for home video.

Films:
The Bad Sleep Well (1960)
Dodes’ka-den (1970)
Drunken Angel (1948)
The Hidden Fortress (1958)
High and Low (1963)
I Live in Fear (1955)
The Idiot (1951)
Ikiru (1952)
Kagemusha (1980)
The Lower Depths (1957)
Madadayo (1993)
The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tail (1945)*
The Most Beautiful (1944)*
No Regrets for Our Youth (1946)
One Wonderful Sunday (1947)
Rashomon (1951)
Red Beard (1965)
Sanjuro (1962)
Sanshiro Sugata (1943)*
Sanshiro Sugata, Part II (1944)*
Scandal (1950)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Stray Dog (1949)
Throne of Blood (1957)
Yojimbo (1961)

(* Never before available for home video)

MSRP: $399
Release Date: 12/8/2009
Catalog #: CC1858DDVD
Rating: Not Rated Rating Reason: N/A
Color Format: Black & White
Run Time: 2961 mins
Audio Format: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
16x9: NO
Number of Disc: 25
Language: Japanese
Closed Captioned: NO
Subtitles: English
Country of Orgin: Japan

Special Features:
# "The Warrior's Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa", a book by Stephen Prince
# Book features an introduction and notes on each film by Stephen Prince
# "Films of Akira Kurosawa," a remembrance by Donald Richie
# Includes 4 films never released on DVD
# All films have new digital transfers
# Deluxe linen-bound collector's set includes 25 films plus illustrated book

Pre-order for $280

So, the first four films (skipping Those Who Make Tomorrow, which he co-directed and later disowned) plus Madadayo. With luck, those early four will be another Eclipse set. I already have a watchable Madadayo... not stellar, but I'm not a huge fan of the film anyway.

If the Special Features list is to be believed, these will be barebones discs? And I doubt that "new digital transfers" means upgrades from the existing versions. I can live without the deluxe packaging and the books (I've already read Richie's anyway). This is an easy pass, it seems designed for people who discovered Kurosawa last week. If it was Blu-Ray it'd be a different story.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 4, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does the NO to 16x9 mean they're non-anamorphic too?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Captain Charisma posted:

Does the NO to 16x9 mean they're non-anamorphic too?

I'm assuming that's a mistake, probably the results of having mixed specs in the box. I'm sure the later films aren't in black & white either.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They're planning to release Carol Reed's Night Train to Munich next year.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/711c18d0f94e3df3af131b38c47525ed81a49a2a/wackycagedbirds[1].jpg[/img]

Gotta be Lola Montes.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FFD where are you getting all this info (aside from the Newsletter clue)?

e: Whit Stillman's Top Ten is also pretty funny/useless. "I like all of them!"

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 4, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

FFD where are you getting all this info (aside from the Newsletter clue)?

criterionforum.org, under the Rumors and News section. The posters there are obnoxious ("domino harvey" in particular) but they're always first with new info.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

The posters there are obnoxious

For all of that site's downfalls they do have a bitchin' fake covers photoshop thread. More than once they've totally beat the poo poo out of Criterion's actual covers, like this one for Downhill Racer:

And these just blow me away:

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

That Stalker one is superb.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

bmmello posted:

That and Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion are both far cooler than any cover Criterion has produced in a while.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This one was my favorite:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Here we go

Pre-order for $280

So, the first four films (skipping Those Who Make Tomorrow, which he co-directed and later disowned) plus Madadayo. With luck, those early four will be another Eclipse set. I already have a watchable Madadayo... not stellar, but I'm not a huge fan of the film anyway.

If the Special Features list is to be believed, these will be barebones discs? And I doubt that "new digital transfers" means upgrades from the existing versions. I can live without the deluxe packaging and the books (I've already read Richie's anyway). This is an easy pass, it seems designed for people who discovered Kurosawa last week. If it was Blu-Ray it'd be a different story.

One odd thing... I know for a fact that "...Tiger's Tail" was released on VHS in the US, so I'm not sure what that comment about it "Never before available for home video" comes from.

I will say that I am happy that the set doesn't seem that impressive, and I have no desire to want to upgrade. Now here's hoping Criterion releases the other films in another package not too long after!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I think Criterion should just have a couple Polish movie poster artists on staff to do all their cover art. And I'm only half joking.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Welp, seeing as I only own Seven Samurai and Ran, I know what I'm buying this December.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Man I was just scrolling down to those fake covers and was convinced they were real. Thanks for getting my hopes up you talented bastards.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

bmmello posted:

I'd kill a man...in front of his own mother...with my bare hands for a Criterion Collection edition of Stalker.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm leaning towards barebones. Although the special features list strikes me as special features of the box set and not so much of the films in the box set, $280 seems far too low for 25 well-stocked discs plus a book. Subtracting the usual price for Warrior's Camera, that comes out to about 10 bucks per movie.

I only have Yojimbo/Sanjuro by Kurosawa, so I'd be all over it if it were repackaged releases plus perhaps barebones discs for the unreleased stuff.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!

Macrame_God posted:

I'd kill a man...in front of his own mother...with my bare hands for a Criterion Collection edition of Stalker.

There's already an okay Kino release, or even better ones if you have a regionless DVD player.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

FitFortDanga posted:

Here we go

Welp, this plus the souped up edition of Seven Samurai are really all I want for any possible gift this year (don't care about extras, don't even care that much about Criterion).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion is having a 40% off sale on Essential Art House singles, box sets, and the huge 50-film set:
http://www.criterion.com/library/dvd/essential/all/expanded/sort_spine_number

All Singles - $11.97
6-Film Sets - $59.97
50-Film Set - $510.00

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Heh, I just got my copy of Do the Right Thing. I've seen the film half a dozen times so I decide to watch it with the commentary on instead of otherwise. The first thing that comes out of my headphones is Chuck D mentioning how it's the year 1995 and that this is a Criteiron Collection special edition laserdisc. Nice. :lol:

Also, Spike Lee sounds stoned on this commentary. He's talking really freaking slow and it's hard to get any information out of him.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Wow, that guy's work in the fake covers thread is amazing. I am loving this:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

The crack on the Criterion logo is the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Where is this thread at?