Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007
Sorry to bring this up again, but the thing about BMTH is not that I think they make lovely music, it's that I cant get past the fact that they are such lovely people to enjoy it. Sure, I know a lot of you probably can, but it's a personal opinion of mine, and I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way.

Edit - gently caress new page. Okay hmm...

My bad :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Misogynist posted:

See, that's part of it, but it's really not the whole story.

The problem isn't one of popularity, but one of overexposure. Because the genre is so popular, like every genre, what invariably happens is that the most generic, most watered-down elements (Whitechapel, Suicide Silence, etc.) get the airplay, get the fanbase, and they're the ones that we have to put up with hearing this crap from. We have to deal with a constant deluge of Generic Breakdown Band on the radio, from other people's cars, and from the endless gushing of a bunch of fans who, in a loving paraphrase of DannyManic, love going to shows but hate music.
Yeah I definitely agree with you that there are some terrible generic metalcore bands out there but you can't hate a band because of it's fans. There are shithead poser fans in every genre of music. Just do your best to avoid them. Also I have no idea where you live that you hear metalcore on the radio, because I've never heard anything heavier than Disturbed and KSE on the radio where I live, which is one of the reasons why I don't even bother with the radio anymore.

quote:

Invariably, they'll end up tacked onto shows of metal bands they don't fit with.
Yeah, this definitely gets annoying, I agree. I can't understand why In Flames is the headliner for BTBAM and The Faceless's tour. Not that In Flames is bad or anything, but from what I've heard they're not anything like either of those bands. Then again I haven't listened to any In Flames past Clayman, so maybe they're metalcore now.

quote:

The other problem is that, like nu-metal preceding it, way too much of the fanbase is made up of either scrawny white high school students who are raging against mall security guards, or testosterone-infused wife-beating ex-Marine losers with something to prove (or their drunken college frat equivalents). It's drat near impossible to enjoy the music without being associated with those people. Any genre of music where bands write songs about their bro-beefs with other bands is going to lend itself to that kind of bullshit.
So what? If people are judging your personality and stereotyping you solely on what kind of music you listen to, then gently caress them. Not the kind of people I would want to associate with anyway.

Okay, back to metal! I know they're more prog metal than metalcore, but Protest The Hero's live DVD Gallop Meets the Earth comes out in a few weeks. I'm pretty pumped after seeing them over the summer with The Number Twelve Looks Like You.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
In Flames definitely went far, far away from Clayman. I'm not sure what they are now either, but I think it's a lot closer to metalcore. The Faceless is the one that's really far away from metalcore, as far as I know--aren't they straight up tech-metal?

I love when bands of different genres tour with each other anyway--stuff like Zombi, Dalek, and Isis on the same tour, or Dillinger with Hella's 2-piece.

emdash fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 3, 2009

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

radikewlism posted:

Sorry to bring this up again, but the thing about BMTH is not that I think they make lovely music, it's that I cant get past the fact that they are such lovely people to enjoy it. Sure, I know a lot of you probably can, but it's a personal opinion of mine, and I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way.

Edit - gently caress new page. Okay hmm...

My bad :(.
This is understandable as long as you're not going to say that "lovely people = lovely music" (or lovely fans = lovely music) which a lot of people have done lately. I agree about both them being lovely and their typical fans being poorly dressed and sometimes annoying, but personally I don't really think about it much and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of their album... I just won't go to their shows. :c00l:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

krustster posted:

This is understandable as long as you're not going to say that "lovely people = lovely music" (or lovely fans = lovely music) which a lot of people have done lately. I agree about both them being lovely and their typical fans being poorly dressed and sometimes annoying, but personally I don't really think about it much and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of their album... I just won't go to their shows. :c00l:

Why not? From what I heard they put on a good show.

vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8CU_thTx3o

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Why not?

mostly because of the fans, I honestly hate unruly crowds...especially ones that crowd-surf directly onto my neck.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

krustster posted:

mostly because of the fans, I honestly hate unruly crowds...especially ones that crowd-surf directly onto my neck.
I don't know dude, that looked like a pretty normal metal show crowd to me. If it really bothers you that much just stand off to the side and away from the pits. I usually do this because I like to watch the band while they play and see the guitarist play all the riffs and stuff because I'm a guitarist and that's fun for me. That did look a little packed though so it would probably be uncomfortable but not to the point where you couldn't enjoy the music.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I posted about how awesome Maylene and The Sons of Disaster are and nobody replied thanking me for exposing them to an awesome band in the vein of ETID :(

Seriously people check them out they're awesome groovy southern rock with the occasional metalcore flair

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

krustster posted:

I once saw The Acacia Strain and It Dies Today in CBGBs

there was literally nowhere in the club you could stand and expect to not get punched in the head

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Wamsutta posted:

I posted about how awesome Maylene and The Sons of Disaster are and nobody replied thanking me for exposing them to an awesome band in the vein of ETID :(

Seriously people check them out they're awesome groovy southern rock with the occasional metalcore flair

I saw them open for Clutch and they put on an awesome show. Made me a fan.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I once saw The Acacia Strain and It Dies Today in CBGBs

there was literally nowhere in the club you could stand and expect to not get punched in the head

Okay so maybe I said that quickly without thinking! SHADDAP

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I've been listening to Vanna a bit longer, and I gotta agree that they are just a fun band to listen to

edit: :3: just didn't seem appropriate, not sure why I almost always have to put a smilie at the end of my posts :argh:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I was going to say "it's because you're a human being!" then I realized you are a pretty good poster, so I guess I don't know what to tell you.

:byodood:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

krustster posted:

I was going to say "it's because you're a human being!" then I realized you are a pretty good poster, so I guess I don't know what to tell you.

:byodood:

:glomp:

I mean uhhh...

:c00l::hf::c00l:

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Blah blah Whitechapel sucks

What have you got against them? I'll admit that I like metalcore in general, but I can make the difference between good metalcore/deathcore (Whitechapel, Despised Icon, Carnifex,Blind Witness, August Burns Red) and bad one (Oceano, Underneath The Gun, The Crimson Armada, Emmure). I'd like you to explain your point of view on Whitechapel as to why they should be considered as sucky?

As for Suicide Silence, 4 months ago, I would have defended them, but their new album is just so god drat awful.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Cock Soup posted:

What have you got against them? I'll admit that I like metalcore in general, but I can make the difference between good metalcore/deathcore (Whitechapel, Despised Icon, Carnifex,Blind Witness, August Burns Red) and bad one (Oceano, Underneath The Gun, The Crimson Armada, Emmure). I'd like you to explain your point of view on Whitechapel as to why they should be considered as sucky?

As for Suicide Silence, 4 months ago, I would have defended them, but their new album is just so god drat awful.

Ok, but you have to admit that Whitechapel's second CD wasn't very good. Their first one kicked all kinds of rear end, though.

LostCause
Jun 27, 2003

by Peatpot
Hahaha holy poo poo this thread is exact proof to why I couldn't give a poo poo about the metalcore/deathcore/human being scene.

I enjoy both TAS and Emmure, highly. They are both fun as poo poo to watch and listen to. And before reading the last ~10 pages of this thread I had no idea about the stupid bullshit that occurs between them and outside the music itself.

I enjoy music. Not the loving retarded scene(s) that exist within subgeneras that incorporate them. You faggots should feel loving ashamed for even taking sides in such a ridiculous debate. This is music, not metal/death/core/faggotland 2010.

gently caress you and your scenes.

gently caress. YOU.

LostCause fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 4, 2009

LostCause
Jun 27, 2003

by Peatpot
I await your retarded responses.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

u mad?

I, too, enjoy music. I own a couple of Emmure CDs that I listen to from time to time just because it's heavy and I like it. That doesn't mean considering one band a ripoff of another (and goddamn is it obvious in this case) dubs me a scene fag. I'm about as far removed from the scene as it gets, to be honest.

As for Whitechapel... I dunno, brainless angry poo poo is good now and then, especially for lifting/working out, but the degree to which all of their songs (and Suicide Silence, Winds of Plague, etc) all blend together and sound the same just turns me off before I even get started.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Cock Soup posted:

I wrote a review on https://www.metal-jerks.com (goon-run metal review site) for This Is Exile, and I tried my best to review the music fairly, and so far from the people that I know of who read it seemed to agree with me on all points. I will say that Whitechapel do know how to play their instruments, but know nothing about interesting song structures.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 4, 2009

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

mr.vj posted:

I wrote a review on https://www.metal-jerks.com (goon-run metal review site) for This Is Exile, and I tried my best to review the music fairly, and so far from the people that I know of who read it seemed to agree with me on all points. I will say that Whitechapel do know how to play their instruments, but know nothing about interesting song structures.

You should have reviewed The Somatic Defilement. This is Exile is poop and it also sounds a lot like JFAC's Genesis CD which is also poop.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-DJoVfXv0w&feature=related for instance is better than anything on This Is Exile. The song really picks up around the 1:25 mark

Edit2: subscriiiiiiiiiiiibe plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 4, 2009

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Traitorous Leopard posted:

You should have reviewed The Somatic Defilement. This is Exile is poop and it also sounds a lot like JFAC's Genesis CD which is also poop.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-DJoVfXv0w&feature=related for instance is better than anything on This Is Exile. The song really picks up around the 1:25 mark

Edit2: subscriiiiiiiiiiiibe plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just for arguments sake (and I am a sadist and love to punish myself) I will see if I can track that album down and isten to it tonight when I am done with work, and give my thoughts and comparisons of it to This Is Exile.

To be quite honest though, judging by that youtube clip, I am not too hopeful.

I am also recommending you guys check out Pencil Lead Syringe. I think they are pretty "meh", but I think you'll enjoy them. They seem to stradle the thin-line of slam and deathcore, so hey, who knows.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 4, 2009

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

mr.vj posted:

Well, I kind of agree with you on some point, but I still feel as if you first looked at the album as "just another chug chug chug deathcore album" while it is quite more than that. While I know that music and art in general is a matter of opinions, I think it diminishing for Whitechapel to be put in the same bag as Suicide Silence, Emmure and Winds of Plague. While it is true that they have a lot of breakdowns and mosh-riffs, I feel like they're all pretty strong, and deserved to be; not that they were simply put there to reach the idiotic moshcore fanbase. Not many of their riffs are noticeable but there are some pretty drat solid ones. I won't get too much into details, but that album is a solid 8-8.5/10 for me.

While on that subject, has All Shall Perish already been mentionned in this thread? Their last album gets pretty dull after the 5th track, but The Price Of Existence has been #1 of my top ten metalcore/deathcore list for about a year and a half now. I expect it to remain there until the next BTBAM.

Also, about BMTH: Yes, they are assholes, but no, their music doesn't suck for that reason. I thought Count Your Blessings to be a very decent album but Suicide Season is uter garbage. Anyway, if you like them, you might like Miss May I. I don't like them all that much, but it might fall in someone else's tastes.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Cock Soup posted:

While on that subject, has All Shall Perish already been mentionned in this thread? Their last album gets pretty dull after the 5th track, but The Price Of Existence has been #1 of my top ten metalcore/deathcore list for about a year and a half now. I expect it to remain there until the next BTBAM.

I consider The Price of Existence the crown jewel of "deathcore". I don't listen to much else in the genre because it all pales in comparison.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

plester1 posted:

I consider The Price of Existence the crown jewel of "deathcore". I don't listen to much else in the genre because it all pales in comparison.

There is No Business to be Done on a Dead Planet :holy:

TheIneff
Feb 7, 2006

BEEP BOOP BEEEEEP

LostCause posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo this thread is exact proof to why I couldn't give a poo poo about the metalcore/deathcore/human being scene.

I enjoy both TAS and Emmure, highly. They are both fun as poo poo to watch and listen to. And before reading the last ~10 pages of this thread I had no idea about the stupid bullshit that occurs between them and outside the music itself.

I enjoy music. Not the loving retarded scene(s) that exist within subgeneras that incorporate them. You faggots should feel loving ashamed for even taking sides in such a ridiculous debate. This is music, not metal/death/core/faggotland 2010.

gently caress. YOU.

Okay well since you put it like that.

I think the fact that you enjoy Emmure shows that in all ways demonstrable, you have objectively terrible taste in music. Emmure are generic, boring and just plain bad musicians. They pump the brocore crowd up because of their "gently caress BITCHES, DUDE" attitude that's in every single one of their cookie-cutter breakdown-soaked downtuned garbage sonic catastrophes. They are part of the reason why metalcore get's absolutely no respect. By listening to and enjoying Emmure, you're not only stupid, but you are damaging the credibility of a great genre

Oh, and they're also fat. Very fat. I bet you're fat, fatty.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

plester1 posted:

For all those who haven't seen All Shall Perish live, go do it right loving now. They are incredible live and have an energy that you rarely see in live music. It's really intense and an awesome experience.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

TheIneff posted:

Okay well since you put it like that.

I think the fact that you enjoy Emmure shows that in all ways demonstrable, you have objectively terrible taste in music. Emmure are generic, boring and just plain bad musicians. They pump the brocore crowd up because of their "gently caress BITCHES, DUDE" attitude that's in every single one of their cookie-cutter breakdown-soaked downtuned garbage sonic catastrophes. They are part of the reason why metalcore get's absolutely no respect. By listening to and enjoying Emmure, you're not only stupid, but you are damaging the credibility of a great genre

Oh, and they're also fat. Very fat. I bet you're fat, fatty.

You are loving stupid. It is very easy to water down their music into a quick summary of "cookie-cutter breakdown-soaked downtuned garbage sonic catastrophes".

Part of the reason they are so enjoyed is because most of their breakdowns are NOT cookie-cutter, and the music is well composed in terms of break-people's-faces-rage music. Of course there are going to be those that disagree, but you thinking that does NOT take credibility away from his argument that ALL THESE loving ARGUMENTS OVER WHAT BAND IS "NOT REAL MUSIC" or is "COOKIE-CUTTER" or WHATEVER is going nowhere and please oh god please just shut the gently caress up and talk about music

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Cock Soup posted:

Well, I kind of agree with you on some point, but I still feel as if you first looked at the album as "just another chug chug chug deathcore album" while it is quite more than that.
Really? You mean it really was more than what I described and listened to for 10 hours straight? My ears seem to have a completely different perspective than you do on it.

Cock Soup posted:

While I know that music and art in general is a matter of opinions, I think it diminishing for Whitechapel to be put in the same bag as Suicide Silence, Emmure and Winds of Plague. While it is true that they have a lot of breakdowns and mosh-riffs, I feel like they're all pretty strong, and deserved to be; not that they were simply put there to reach the idiotic moshcore fanbase.
I hate to be condescending, but this is really loving dumb. Just because I happen to dislike something that you do like, means that I shouldn't lump them into the same category of lovely bands that play the exact same sub-genre of music? I know for a fact that I am not the only person to do that, because it easily can give perspective and points of reference. If I hear something lovely from a sub-genre that I already consider garbage, then guess what? I'm going to compare that awful recording to the same poo poo that gets tossed around like it's the end-all-be-all of metal.

For instance, if I were to review, oh, let's say Hail Of Bullets' album, ...Of Frost And War, then I am going to compare the music heard on this album to other death metal bands of its ilk, like Dismember, Asphyx, Interment, Grave, and so forth. You know why? Because not only am I familiar with the genre, but I can also rate it in my mind as to how that release stacks up to the aforementioned bands track records, and decide whether to just stick with the veterans or take a chance on the new guys (although we all know that Hail Of Bullets is made up of veterans, but my point still stands).

To say that something "diminishes" a band because they are stacked up against other feeble groups of their kind is incredibly childish, almost barring them from any sort of criticism at all. I know I may be going deaf in my left ear, but after almost twenty years of listening to this kind of music (which doesn't make me anymore qualified than the rest of you), I don't think my ears can really lie to me, and my brain won't let me give any band any slack if I feel they are poo poo and deserved to be called out right (I'm looking at you, Deicide). You're right though, art and music is completely subjective, and along with the rest of you I'm making my opinion be known (why in this thread, I have no loving clue).

Cock Soup posted:

Not many of their riffs are noticeable but there are some pretty drat solid ones.
To me, it isn't even a matter of most of the riffs not even being noticeable. It's the complete lack of any originality or feeling in the music that destroys any credibility they had with me. Seriously, if this were about riffs not being noticeable, then I would have to call myself an insane hypocrite because I'd say about 90% of what I listen to has indecipherable riffs.

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

You are loving stupid. It is very easy to water down their music into a quick summary of "cookie-cutter breakdown-soaked downtuned garbage sonic catastrophes".

Part of the reason they are so enjoyed is because most of their breakdowns are NOT cookie-cutter, and the music is well composed in terms of break-people's-faces-rage music. Of course there are going to be those that disagree, but you thinking that does NOT take credibility away from his argument that ALL THESE loving ARGUMENTS OVER WHAT BAND IS "NOT REAL MUSIC" or is "COOKIE-CUTTER" or WHATEVER is going nowhere and please oh god please just shut the gently caress up and talk about music

This entire thread is like looking into a civil war; it's hilarious. This thread is like a PSA telling me what bands I should completely skip over or listen to for a good laugh. A lot of bands turning the genre into one gigantic fashion show? Getting a raging boner because of a machine gun sampled-breakdown? Music is dead.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 5, 2009

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

mr.vj posted:

This entire thread is like looking into a civil war; it's hilarious. This thread is like a PSA telling me what bands I should completely skip over or listen to for a good laugh. A lot of bands turning the genre into one gigantic fashion show? Getting a raging boner because of a machine gun sampled-breakdown? Music is dead.

I'm not gonna lie... I did get a semi the first time I heard it.

Does that make me a bad person?

Also, what's peoples' beef with breakdowns in general? Why are they thought of as generally bad?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

And on a completely unrelated note, TERRORHORSE just added me as a friend on Facebook... anyone heard of them (http://www.myspace.com/TERRORHORSE)?

Kinda sound a little like Danza, but with a lemon twist :3:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

I'm not gonna lie... I did get a semi the first time I heard it.

Does that make me a bad person?
Yes.

quote:

Also, what's peoples' beef with breakdowns in general? Why are they thought of as generally bad?

Only when they become the focal point of the music and everything else takes a backseat, and when every single band has them in every single song. I look at them the same way I do guitar solos; just because you can do them doesn't mean they need to be ran into the loving ground.

I like breakdowns that can be done tastefully and actually adds to the music, like Rotten Sound and Napalm Death, for instance.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

mr.vj posted:

Music is dead.

I get your point about comparing them to bands you know, but deathcore is clearly not your field of expertise (in fact, you openly hate the genre). So, your field of knowledge of the genre is pretty limited, and according to your comparisons, pretty lovely. If I were to write a review of let's say a CD by Immortal, and I'd compare them to Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and Burzum, because they are the only three Black Metal bands I know of... I'd get loving crucified.

I'm not trying to be all childish and to shield them against criticism, but I think your view on metalcore and deathcore was pretty clear before you even started your review. You're no expert of the genre, and you (at least it seems through your review and your posts) can't and won't try to understand it. I won't review technical death metal CDs or Black Metal CDs because I see them as RANDOM SHREDDING and as TREMOLO PICKING AND STUPID ORGAN/CHOIRS, and I know my view wouldn't reflect that of a fan of the genre or even an unbiaised third party.

Music ain't dead, your old school death metal is what's dying.

Finally, because I'm not a complete rear end in a top hat and I'm feeling generous go listen to https://www.myspace.com/archons and https://www.myspace.com/descendintonothingness for some good melodic/technical underground death metal. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

On another note, my band's going on tour with The Agonist and Mythosis in October. Check us up on myspace if you want https://www.myspace.com/obsek . (I know, the two songs on there aren't extraordinary, we've got an album coming tho, and it's 300x better than these two songs).

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

And on a completely unrelated note, TERRORHORSE just added me as a friend on Facebook... anyone heard of them (http://www.myspace.com/TERRORHORSE)?

Kinda sound a little like Danza, but with a lemon twist :3:

They're a band from London Ontario, where I go to University. I saw them last year when they opened up for Born of Osiris and they were fantastic.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The new Every Time I Die fell through the cracks.

It's kind of kicking my rear end, i'm not going to lie.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

LostCause posted:

gently caress. YOU.
thanks for posting

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

mr.vj posted:

Glad you're getting some use out of it, now plz don't post here anymore. We're not polluting the metal thread with our "gay" music so why must you migrate over here just for the sake of being contrary?

e. for clarity: Your posts are wordy but they are nothing more than trolls, featuring such hits as "THIS GENRE SUCKS AND HERE'S WHY" which noone here could care less about. WE DO NOT CARE that you don't like the kind of music that is meant to be discussed in this thread. We like it, you do not, goodbye.

krustster fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 5, 2009

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

-Atom- posted:

The new Every Time I Die fell through the cracks.

It's kind of kicking my rear end, i'm not going to lie.

oh god I have a new mission in life

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The genre doesn't suck. But in comparison to the old metalcore thread this is filled with scene wankery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

A5H posted:

The genre doesn't suck. But in comparison to the old metalcore thread this is filled with scene wankery.

Some scene wankery is fun. Anyway, feel free to bring up some other, less wanker-filled bands because i also enjoy those.

Speaking of, does anyone else like the new Dance Gavin Dance album? Its like chilled out sometimes, kinda heavy sometimes, but strangely soothing all the way through. I really hated the second album and the new singer because it sounded to me like he was just trying to bite Jonny's style, but on this album he found his voice and its a lot more natural-sounding.