Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

Repeatedly giving away PPV-caliber matches and title changes on free TV makes people not buy the B-show PPVs because the PPVs are just a three-hour RAW.
You're making a straw man here. Nobody's saying it should happen repeatedly. I actually went out of my way to say it should only happen a few times a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007
This is kind of an odd question, but are there any defining characteristics to a luchador mask ? Like visual cues that let you know it's a Mexican wrestler and not a power ranger or something.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't know a ton about Lucha but I used to go to a bunch of shows in TJ when I lived out there and I don't really think so, there is a huge variety in masks, from plain colors to elaborate stuff with horns and poo poo.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Blinken posted:

This is kind of an odd question, but are there any defining characteristics to a luchador mask ? Like visual cues that let you know it's a Mexican wrestler and not a power ranger or something.

Follow-up question: is there any tell-tale signs that point to heritage or geography? I always associate horns and streamers with Jap lucha, but that's probably just me.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Psychosis is from Mexico, and his mask had horns.

DominatedOhSix
Sep 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Captain Strange posted:

Follow-up question: is there any tell-tale signs that point to heritage or geography? I always associate horns and streamers with Jap lucha, but that's probably just me.

if its a mexican, they're from mexico. if the dude is a jap, its from japan.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DominatedOhSix posted:

if the dude is a jap,

woah bro

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

grody but still def posted:

woah bro

It's just a shortening of Japanese. Besides... Pearl Harbor.

Over-Sold
May 22, 2007

Under-Brained

Judakel posted:

It's just a shortening of Japanese. Besides... Pearl Harbor.

I'm glad to see someone doing their duty of :911: NEVER FORGETTING :911:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Blinken posted:

Simply put, masks in Mexico mean luchadores. Power Rangers came later.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

I seem to hear on occasion that there's a difference between rudos' masks and tecnicos' masks, like if a tecnico turns then he starts wearing a different mask. Are their discerning characteristics between the two? Are there actually "rudo masks" and "tecnico masks"?

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

CM Junk posted:

I seem to hear on occasion that there's a difference between rudos' masks and tecnicos' masks, like if a tecnico turns then he starts wearing a different mask. Are their discerning characteristics between the two? Are there actually "rudo masks" and "tecnico masks"?

I think the idea is more that when the character develops or changes, the mask changes too, too show the new character. In Chikara, when Shane Storm became STIGMA they did this too.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Lazy like a Fox posted:

In Chikara, when Shane Storm became STIGMA they did this too.

That was the first thing I thought of when he asked.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Granted, in the case of Shane Storm/STIGMA, not only did he change masks, he changed attire, AND wrestling style. The Stormer was more of the lucha-style contrived armdrag spots and whatnot. STIGMA's pretty much a brawler, and the style suits him a lot better.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
So this question just kind of popped up in my head but...when was the last time in the WWE or any other company where there were referees that were very clearly heels? I'm thinking like to the extent that Charles Robinson was with Ric Flair back in WCW heel style. I haven't seen that too much lately, maybe I just haven't noticed?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Nick Patrick was probably the last one I can remember. WWE don't acknowledge the refs by name anymore so theres no way they're going to give them gimmicks or make them heel/face.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Just before the WWE took away the referees names, there was a very vague hint that Scott Armstrong might have had Legacy sympathies, what with him also being second generation.

It didn't amount to anything more than one match having a screwy ending and nothing more ever came of it.

DominatedOhSix
Sep 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Good Listener posted:

So this question just kind of popped up in my head but...when was the last time in the WWE or any other company where there were referees that were very clearly heels? I'm thinking like to the extent that Charles Robinson was with Ric Flair back in WCW heel style. I haven't seen that too much lately, maybe I just haven't noticed?

Super ref in TNA was face as hell. Its also established that Foley loves Earl Hebner for his penchant for screwjobs.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Dragon Gate had a heel ref for a while, too, when the Muscle Outlaw'z were still around. Kinta Tomoaka was their personal referee (came out with the faction, wore their colors), and was even more blatant about his bias than Nick Patrick with his "one, two, OWW MY ARM" counts.

Tomoaka would refuse to count at all, or he'd stomp the face wrestler making the pin. Sometimes MO'z would beat up the regular ref to insert Tomoaka. And if regular ref tried to get back into the match, Tomoaka would kick him in the balls.

In one match (on the Best of Dragon Gate Vol. 1 DVD set), Gamma vs CIMA, Hair vs Hair, when Gamma rolled up CIMA, Tomoaka actually dove OVER TOP of them, adding his weight to the pile, to count the three.

A Dragon Gate official came out and overturned the decision, ordered the match restarted. Tomoaka kicked him in the balls, but it was no sold and he got laid out for it.

CIMA ended up losing the match anyway.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Why did the WWE take away the referee names? I thought it was kind of cool when stables had referees in their pockets and added extra odds to surmount for faces who were feuding with a heel stable if that referee was officiating the match.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Judakel posted:

Why did the WWE take away the referee names? I thought it was kind of cool when stables had referees in their pockets and added extra odds to surmount for faces who were feuding with a heel stable if that referee was officiating the match.

The commentators mention the ref most of the time v:confused:v

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Batmanuel posted:

The commentators mention the ref most of the time v:confused:v

That brings me to my next question: Why did someone say earlier that they had taken the referees' names away and were prohibited from calling them by their names if Batmanuel says otherwise? Jerks.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
They mention them in the LIVE MONDAY NITE CHATS. Where Katie Lea gets most of her heel heat, judging by her TV time

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Granted, in the case of Shane Storm/STIGMA, not only did he change masks, he changed attire, AND wrestling style. The Stormer was more of the lucha-style contrived armdrag spots and whatnot. STIGMA's pretty much a brawler, and the style suits him a lot better.

Actually, based on what I read about the lucha face/heel dynamic before I asked the question, that seems to be the case. Tecnicos are more flippy and technical (hence the name :smug: ), whereas rudos are much more of brawlers.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Judakel posted:

Why did someone say earlier that they had taken the referees' names away and were prohibited from calling them by their names if Batmanuel says otherwise?
Because they did.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The refs thing was made blatent when chris jericho cut himself off half way through saying charles robinsons name and then went "the referee"

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
TNA was hinting at an angle where Madison Rayne was sleeping with Slick Johnson to get favorable reffing for The Beautiful People, but it didn't go anywhere.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Slick was a great heel ref with Steiner.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
They probably wont say ref names because they dont want you to focus on the ref unless it involves the finish.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Sionistic posted:

They probably wont say ref names because they dont want you to focus on the ref unless it involves the finish.

I remember this being the reason that got leaked, that Vince doesn't want the focus off the superstars. Vince changes his mind on a daily basis, though. Remember when he wanted it more serious, with refs calling matches as a shoot?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's irritating when it's a referee that we've seen for years, like Mike Chioda or Charles Robinson, and JR or whoever calls him "the referee." Come on man, I know you know his name!

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
You know which new ref I like now? That skinny black guy. Skinny black guy owns.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Deranged Hermit posted:

You know which new ref I like now? That skinny black guy. Skinny black guy owns.

Teddy Long?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Deranged Hermit posted:

El Generico?

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
On the one hand, they say they don't want the focus on the refs. On the other, last Monday we had a full minute audible argument between Chavo and Noah Wilson (skinny black guy that's not Human Tornado) about putting on a cow head.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Happy Happyist posted:

On the one hand, they say they don't want the focus on the refs. On the other, last Monday we had a full minute audible argument between Chavo and Noah Wilson (skinny black guy that's not Human Tornado) about putting on a cow head.

His name, according to THE BOARD~, is black ref.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WeaselWeaz posted:

I remember this being the reason that got leaked, that Vince doesn't want the focus off the superstars. Vince changes his mind on a daily basis, though. Remember when he wanted it more serious, with refs calling matches as a shoot?
Yeah, and then he fired a guy for doing it.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

WeaselWeaz posted:

Flashing back on the WCW dvd, I loved when Nick Patrick and Jim Cornette almost got into a fist fight in the middle of a Midnight/RockNRoll tag match

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Judakel posted:

I whole problem with the "ref-in-the-pocket" storyline is why does the ref actually bother to call a somewhat fair match? First time heel grabs a pin, just ignore the kickout and count a quick three. Hell, just DQ the guy right off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Davros1 posted:

I whole problem with the "ref-in-the-pocket" storyline is why does the ref actually bother to call a somewhat fair match? First time heel grabs a pin, just ignore the kickout and count a quick three. Hell, just DQ the guy right off the bat.

Because if he did he would be fired for not doing his job. He has to be slick about it in order to get away with it and keep his job. Makes perfect sense to a mark.