Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
At least Lucha got it right with a rudo ref and face ref. The crowds seem to really get behind the refs when they're involved in a storyline.

The "ref in the heels pocket" storyline works if they're really subtle about it. It also worked when NWO was basically running the show or a Heel GM is running things, thus protecting the ref's job if he helps cheat to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved the Earl Hebner/Triple H storyline, and whenever Earl would shove Triple H back.

At Backlash 2000 when Linda marches the "fired" referee Earl Hebner to the ring after Austin has destroyed Triple H's backup and sends him into the ring where he proceeds to call the match RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE is absolutely perfect. They could just as easily had him come back and work on the side of The Rock and it would have been justified after all the cheating Triple H had done, but instead he called it right down the middle and his final 3 Count was neither fast nor slow but JUUUUST right.

At that time, I genuinely think Earl was the best ref in the world, very few if any other refs could have sold that angle as well as he did.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
That angle was awesome because whenever Earl shoved Triple H back he had a look in his eyes that said "I HAVE BEEN WAITING YEARS FOR THIS"

Not necessarily because it was Triple H but because kayfabewise referees are a very abused people.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hebner counting fast for Jericho on Raw that one time is one of my biggest mark-out moments ever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

Hebner counting fast for Jericho on Raw that one time is one of my biggest mark-out moments ever

I remember my :aaa: face when that happened, and a friend of mine told me that when he saw it, he and his brother actually started screaming and their parents burst into the room thinking they were being murdered, only to see them hopping up and down shouting,"JERICHO WON THE TITLE! JERICHO WON THE TITLE!"

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I found Rock/Earl Hebner vs DX a guilty pleasure. Didn't it end with like, Big Show, Rikishi, Jericho and the Dudleys running in in Hebner's behalf? Man, I need to see if I can find that.

Technically Sylvan Grenier was the most recent heel ref angle.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Jerusalem posted:

I remember my :aaa: face when that happened, and a friend of mine told me that when he saw it, he and his brother actually started screaming and their parents burst into the room thinking they were being murdered, only to see them hopping up and down shouting,"JERICHO WON THE TITLE! JERICHO WON THE TITLE!"

I called one of my friends, who was also watching, right when it happened and we both marked out. Then, while we were talking, it got reversed and the phonecall kinda died.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Was Papa Shango really recast as the Godfather? I know it's true but I certainly don't believe it

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Justice Grieves posted:

Was Papa Shango really recast as the Godfather?

Not immediately. He was Papa Shango, then he went away for a while and came back as Kama the Supreme Fighting Machine, joined the Nation of Domination and then at some point after that they started calling him the Godfather and he gradually became a pimp. How one gradually becomes a pimp I have no idea but there we are.

I may have left some stuff out but whatever.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Justice Grieves posted:

Was Papa Shango really recast as the Godfather? I know it's true but I certainly don't believe it

Yes, but it wasn't an overnight thing. He came back as "Kama", who was sort of a black guy with no gimmick, who had the exact same tattoos as Para Shango. He was just "gimmickless Para Shango".

He joined The Nation, got renamed The Godfather at some point, and got turned face because of the Brawl For All. I don't remember when he started bringing out the hos, though. He definately had them when he was a heel.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
WWE needs a female ref. And I dont count the special ref thing they do at house shows where one of the other divas is the ref for a women's match either.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DM Punk posted:

WWE needs a female ref. And I dont count the special ref thing they do at house shows where one of the other divas is the ref for a women's match either.

why

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

grody but still def posted:

why

davesecx likes looking at women, where the hell have you been

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

why

Why not? It would be something different.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Karmine posted:

davesecx likes looking at women, where the hell have you been

If the NBA can have female refs, why not WWE? It doesn't have to be some bikini model either. There isn't a good reason to NOT have a female ref.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

DM Punk posted:

It doesn't have to be some bikini model either.

But being that we're talking about WWE, it would be.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DM Punk posted:

If the NBA can have female refs, why not WWE? It doesn't have to be some bikini model either. There isn't a good reason to NOT have a female ref.

WWF had a female ref. Vince raped her and she filed for harassment. Odds are we wont be seeing a female ref in WWE again.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 6, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Couple of things:

When was the SD! PPV with the Bar Brawl?

And could explain in detail why Brian Pillman has a gun? Did he bring one to a show or something? I hear the meme, but do not know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

And could explain in detail why Brian Pillman has a gun? Did he bring one to a show or something? I hear the meme, but do not know.

Austin came to Pillman's house to attack him during an interview on a show, and during all the tumult, Pillman suddenly came back with a gun.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

WWF had a female ref. Vince "raped" her and she filed for harassment. Odds are we wont be seeing a female ref in WWE again.

Wasn't that Mike McGuirk, the ring announcer that Heenan always made fun of?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

KungFu Grip posted:

WWF had a female ref. Vince "raped" her and she filed for harassment. Odds are we wont be seeing a female ref in WWE again.

Nothing says showing deference to alleged sexual assault like the quotation marks.

Keep it classy Wrestlehut

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
edit: nothing to see here but a dumb post

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 6, 2014

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Axissillian posted:

Nothing says showing deference to alleged sexual assault like the quotation marks.

Keep it classy Wrestlehut

Can't trust some slut not to bitch to the press about some rape she was asking for, so no chance of seeing some other whore count pins!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DM Punk posted:

Wasn't that Mike McGuirk, the ring announcer that Heenan always made fun of?

Mike McGuirk said that Vince came onto her, but the ref was Rita Chatterton who said that Vince raped her and sued.

Also, that NBA ref is the worst ref in the league and only has her job because she is a woman. We don't need a woman ref just to have one.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

KungFu Grip posted:

I mean nothing by it. Here's what Wikipedia has on it.

I can dig it, its just that using quotation marks sounds like sarcasm or suspicion of validity. Alleged would probably be better to use.

Axissillian, the only feminist with an rear end for an avatar

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
What were, in your opinion, the greatest small man vs. giant matches ever?

A comment by Ghidzilla in the Andre The Giant thread inspired me to look into some of these matches. I am a sucker for this kind of match up due to the contrasting styles often shown throughout the match and my favorite is Shawn Michaels vs. Vader. Which ones would you recommend?

Shawn Michaels vs. Vader Summerslam NOT 1992
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4aos7_shawn-michaels-vs-vader-wwf-title-m_sport

Judakel fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 7, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Judakel posted:

A comment by Ghidzilla in the Andre The Giant thread inspired me to look into some of these matches. I am a sucker for this kind of match up due to the contrasting styles often shown throughout the match and my favorite is Shawn Michaels vs. Vader. Which ones would you recommend?

Shawn Michaels vs. Vader Summerslam '92
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4aos7_shawn-michaels-vs-vader-wwf-title-m_sport

Any time this comes up the first response is generally Eddie vs Brock Lesnar.

So Eddie vs Brock Lesnar.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Judakel posted:

Couple years of their sparkles :ssh:

Really, any American main event that was ______ vs. Vader counts.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

yer about 4 years off bro

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Summerslam 92 is the one fron England where Shawn Michaels had a match vs Rick Martel. I think they were fighting over the love of Sherri or something.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

yer about 4 years off bro

Shut up bro, I will correct it.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Judakel posted:

Hornswoggle vs. Khali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F79m4ouMkA

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

OK here's something I've been thinking about, and this might actually deserve its own thread, but whatever. What wrestlers who aren't in the Hall of Fame already should be, and who would you pick to induct them?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Karmine posted:

OK here's something I've been thinking about, and this might actually deserve its own thread, but whatever. What wrestlers who aren't in the Hall of Fame already should be, and who would you pick to induct them?

I think Ted DiBiase is the biggest one right now. And his son, of course, should induct.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Vader, inducted by Jesus Christ
Sting, inducted by Vince McMahon
Mick Foley, inducted by his doctor
Braden Walker, inducted by Barack Obama

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

weekly font posted:

I think Ted DiBiase is the biggest one right now. And his son, of course, should induct.

Yeah, he, Owen, and Savage are the big ones for me. Owen would be a tough one because Bret probably wouldn't show up and Martha DEFINITELY wouldn't show up so I don't know who would induct or who would accept on his behalf, but if I had to pick I would say get the Hart Dynasty to do both.

Savage won't happen for a good long time, if ever, but if it does happen I think he should be inducted by either Ricky Steamboat or Ric Flair.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Karmine posted:

Yeah, he, Owen, and Savage are the big ones for me. Owen would be a tough one because Bret probably wouldn't show up and Martha DEFINITELY wouldn't show up so I don't know who would induct or who would accept on his behalf, but if I had to pick I would say get the Hart Dynasty to do both.

Savage won't happen for a good long time, if ever, but if it does happen I think he should be inducted by either Ricky Steamboat or Ric Flair.

Why wouldn't Bret show up? Bret showed up for his own induction.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Why wouldn't Bret show up? Bret showed up for his own induction.

I dunno, I always got the impression that it took a lot to get Bret to show up for his induction, and more to the point I think that Owen's death is still one of the big sore spots in Bret's relationship with Vince McMahon.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Karmine posted:

I dunno, I always got the impression that it took a lot to get Bret to show up for his induction, and more to the point I think that Owen's death is still one of the big sore spots in Bret's relationship with Vince McMahon.

I feel like opening up the sore wound that is Owen, even for such an event as honoring him in the Hall of Fame, is just more stress and trouble then McMahon actually wants to go through. I dont know that it got any better with time for anyone involved and Bret will probably spout off at the mic about how it was entirely preventable and McMahon is a murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
The biggest problem with inducting Owen to the hall of fame was that he never did anything worthy of being in the hall of fame except for taking one hell of a bump in Kansas City.