Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Axissillian posted:

The biggest problem with inducting Owen to the hall of fame was that he never did anything worthy of being in the hall of fame except for taking one hell of a bump in Kansas City.

We got Pete Rose and William Perry in the WWE Hall of Fame. There is room for Owen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

KungFu Grip posted:

We got Pete Rose and William Perry in the WWE Hall of Fame. There is room for Owen.

Well of course there is room. Dude is flat as a pancake at this point. You could slide him under the rug.

*is assaulted by Scott Hall*

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

At some point, wounds will have healed and Owen will be inducted.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I just fail to see why Owen would get inducted despite his death when the only reason to get inducted is his death.

He never main-evented, he never drew, never held the world title, his only memorable matches were against Bret, and by that point in his career he was a comedy buffoon and not likely to improve.

If he hadn't Foley'd from the rafters in 1999 his career accomplishments would have been: famous brother, some good matches, the white guy in NOD.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Axissillian posted:

If he hadn't Foley'd from the rafters in 1999 his career accomplishments would have been: famous brother, some good matches, the white guy in NOD.

He can't even take that last claim. The Nation of Domination had 4 white guys in its group. They had the rapping team of PG-13, Crush, and then Owen.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
That's just how it works sometimes, this isn't a phenomena unique to wrestling. You may as well induct the other half of High Energy, after all.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Axissillian posted:

He never main-evented, he never drew, never held the world title, his only memorable matches were against Bret, and by that point in his career he was a comedy buffoon and not likely to improve.

He had a ***** match (Observer rating) in the main event of SummerSlam. Owen was an occasional main eventer from 1994 until his death and one of the best workers of the era. This is a Hall of Fame that has Vince's loving limo driver in it.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Karmine posted:

OK here's something I've been thinking about, and this might actually deserve its own thread, but whatever. What wrestlers who aren't in the Hall of Fame already should be, and who would you pick to induct them?

Biggest in a historical sense is probably Bruno Sammartino. I have no idea who would induct him since it's so far before my time, and most of the people he feuded with are dead. I guess Zbyszko would be as good a guy as any.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Axissillian posted:

I just fail to see why Owen would get inducted despite his death when the only reason to get inducted is his death.

I agree he's overrated by death ala Cobain, but at least admit the Hart vs. Hart feud was white loving hot from Wrestlemania 10 on.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

jeffersonlives posted:

He had a ***** match (Observer rating) in the main event of SummerSlam. Owen was an occasional main eventer from 1994 until his death and one of the best workers of the era.

Plus he ended Steve Austin's career from BEYOND THE GRAVE

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Axissillian posted:

The WWE should still do somthing to honor him. Him, Crash Holly, and any talent that worked for the WWE and died.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 7, 2009

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I just realized that Arn Anderson isn't in the Hall of Fame and although he's not at the top of my list, he should definitely be in there soon. And if he's not inducted by Flair then gently caress everything.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Also they've done a pisspoor job of inducting tag teams. I'd say the Road Warriors, Rock and Roll Express, Midnight Express, and British Bulldogs all deserve spots at the very least.

e: Cornette should induct the Midnight Express in the classic way everyone else does it, then induct the R&R Express in total heel manager mode.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

Loyalty and guilt. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Here's a thought: Is Goldberg HOF material? He was a pretty big draw back in his day, and he made at least some sort of a splash in his time in WWE. On the other hand, he was the biggest self-mark this side of Bret Hart, and I'm not really sure what terms he's on with Vince nowadays.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CM Junk posted:

Here's a thought: Is Goldberg HOF material? He was a pretty big draw back in his day, and he made at least some sort of a splash in his time in WWE. On the other hand, he was the biggest self-mark this side of Bret Hart, and I'm not really sure what terms he's on with Vince nowadays.

Hall of Fame, in terms of being one of the greatest in the sport who was a long term draw, and either a great worker or promo? No. He was a "pretty big draw" for 8 months, and "very over" for about 3 years spread from 98 to 2003.

There's no criteria for the WWE Hall of Fame other than Vince's whims and what city they are in and hence who will draw a crowd, so if they run WM in Atlanta Goldberg has a shot. But there's no reason for him to be in any Hall of Fame where there's actual meaningful voting on who gets in.

As for guys like Arn, they'll get in eventually. They need to spread people out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Road Warriors seriously need to be inducted.

But yeah, the WWE HOF isn't just about inducting people who were main-eventers; it's also about giving recognition to guys who did their job, and did it well. People may scoff at the idea of a guy like Koko B. Ware, who was a mid-carder at best, but twenty years later, people still remember "The Birdman",

I could totally see the WWE inducting someone like "The Brooklyn Brawler" Steve Lombardi into the HOF, and I, for one, would be totally okay with that. After all, that man spent his entire career making others look good.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

The WWE should still do somthing to honor him. Him, Crash Holly, and any talent that worked for the WWE and died.

I don't think even WWE has space for all their dead workers. I mean, it would be a LONG list.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Koko B. Ware is in the Hall of Fame.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Any chance of Bischoff getting in?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Anybody who was a prominent enough figure is eventually going to make it. They're already running out of big stars to induct. Is Rock in yet? Because he's the last huge inactive star I can think of who isn't in.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

They have plenty of people who can go in it's just they aren't going to induct people they don't have good relationships with and they also feel that they need to induct 7-8 people per year. I fully expect Scotty 2 Hotty to be inducted in 2013.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

MassRayPer posted:

But there's no reason for him to be in any Hall of Fame where there's actual meaningful voting on who gets in.

is there really a voting process for it?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Acute Hepatitis posted:

Other Halls of Fame have (occasionally fishy) voting processes.

I think this one has whoever is on good terms with Vince.

As for worthiness, they seem to like having each class consist of one big name induction, a couple of jobbers, one posthumous guilt and maybe a celebrity with a tenuous connection to the industry.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Ultimate Warrior would be in by any standard, if it was a voting deal - Macho Man too

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Taker, duh. Though he won't be inducted till the eve of his retirement. And the day after he gets inducted, he'll lose the streak.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Bad Wolf posted:

Taker, duh. Though he won't be inducted till the eve of his retirement. And the day after he gets inducted, some silly people will think he will lose the streak, but he won't because he's the goddamn undertaker and he wins at wrestlemania.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Yeah, totally. I'm sure Owen's widow and kids will just plum forget one day that they basically murdered him and allow the ceremony.

jeffersonlives posted:

He had a ***** match (Observer rating) in the main event of SummerSlam. Owen was an occasional main eventer from 1994 until his death and one of the best workers of the era. This is a Hall of Fame that has Vince's loving limo driver in it.

This, and had he survived, he surely would have eventually had a feud with Benoit that would have been great.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 7, 2009

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Axissillian posted:

Owen should get inducted for the sole purposes that he was, in fact, NOT a nugget and for having an action figure that came with scuba gear.

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 7, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Captain Charisma posted:

Yeah, totally. I'm sure Owen's widow and kids will just plum forget one day that they basically murdered him and allow the ceremony.

No they didn't. You're retarded.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Every year that goes by there's a bigger chance of Bruno Sammartino going in. Even Bret Hart is now encouraging him to do it, for his fans. The problem is that he's been so negative against it, I believe even being asked and saying no, while WWE is afraid of him burying the company, talking about steroids, and saying no again. As time passes, I think Bruno softens his stance. I'd love to see it, Bruno tells some great stories on Wrestling Observer Radio and it could lead to a Bruno DVD.

They would put Owen again, with the guarenteed speech by Bret being a big selling point. The problem is that Owen's widow Martha would bury the company, blaming WWE for his death.

Acute Hepatitis posted:

A ballot goes around to a limited group including Kevin Dunn, Jim Ross, Triple H, Hulk Hogan, and others. Then Vince throws the ballots out the window and picks them himself. Hogan once tricked Vince's secretary into reading the ballot on Bubba the Love Sponge. The Hall of Fame, in a way very fitting of wrestling, is a complete work.

CM Junk posted:

No. He was a big star for a very, very short period of time. The major reason that Goldberg wasn't bigger for longer is because WCW stopped booking him correctly. I would say Goldberg is like Warrior, a guy who was an icon but did not have the longevity to be a Hall of Famer.

As for being a self-mark, Goldberg got better towards the end of his career. The reason he was like that was because Hogan, Bischoff, and WCW's bookers made him think he was supposed to act like that.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Like The Warrior, he was green & stiff. But unlike the warrior, his pyro was ONLY before his matches, not during Hulk Hogan's.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Completely unrelated, but I was thinking about this earlier. What in the ever loving gently caress makes Buff Bagwell think he was destined to "be The Rock" (in quotes for obvious reasons; I know he means just a massive massive star, not ACTUALLY The Rock) before The Rock took his spot or whatever? I know we've established he's loving insane, but really, is there ANY evidence whatsoever to support this fact?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

No, he's just delusional.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Completely unrelated, but I was thinking about this earlier. What in the ever loving gently caress makes Buff Bagwell think he was destined to "be The Rock" (in quotes for obvious reasons; I know he means just a massive massive star, not ACTUALLY The Rock) before The Rock took his spot or whatever? I know we've established he's loving insane, but really, is there ANY evidence whatsoever to support this fact?

I think getting a decent pop when Vince McMahon mentioned his name on the Raw-Nitro Simulcast went way to his head. When he signed, they tried to make something of him and on the infamous WCW Raw had him go against Booker T. The match sucked, Buff got released.

The Rock was out making a movie at this point, by the way. He didn't come back until after InVasion. I highly doubt Bagwell and the Rock ever even came in cotact with each other.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

TL posted:

I think getting a decent pop when Vince McMahon mentioned his name on the Raw-Nitro Simulcast went way to his head. When he signed, they tried to make something of him and on the infamous WCW Raw had him go against Booker T. The match sucked, Buff got released.

The Rock was out making a movie at this point, by the way. He didn't come back until after InVasion. I highly doubt Bagwell and the Rock ever even came in cotact with each other.

Your timing is off, he thought he could be the big babyface who could be in movies back in WCW. Also, the match was only a part of why he was released. On his first night, he was told not to wear his silly had and to act a little more serious going out to the ring. Instead he wore the had, already ignoring a direct instruction on his first night. Also, he had his mom call JR to say he was sick and couldn't make it, looking like a complete mama's boy pussy. Combine these things with his attitude and he was hosed. Nobody was shocked when within a week or so of his debut JBL was sent to beat him up and he was fired.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Karmine posted:

I dunno, I always got the impression that it took a lot to get Bret to show up for his induction, and more to the point I think that Owen's death is still one of the big sore spots in Bret's relationship with Vince McMahon.

I am pretty sure that Bret has said that he would show up if Owen and/or Stu got inducted. Him and Vince actually have a fine relationship these days, I dont think either would mind working together if things lined up

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Oasx posted:

I am pretty sure that Bret has said that he would show up if Owen and/or Stu got inducted. Him and Vince actually have a fine relationship these days, I dont think either would mind working together if things lined up

Actually, come to think of it I seem to remember him saying something like that too, so nevermind. I dunno I guess ever since reading his book my policy has been "when in doubt, always assume that Bret Hart is batshit insane"

Plus supposedly he said he wouldn't show up for his own induction if Shawn Michaels was gonna be there or something.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Karmine posted:

Plus supposedly he said he wouldn't show up for his own induction if Shawn Michaels was gonna be there or something.

Shawn had hoped to get a chance to talk to Bret to apologize and hopefully clear the air even a little bit between them. Bret said if he saw Shawn at all that weekend, he'd skip the induction, and if he saw Shawn during the induction he'd walk off the stage. Shawn told Vince that if that was the case, he was fine just leaving the room during the induction before Bret's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

tzirean posted:

Shawn had hoped to get a chance to talk to Bret to apologize and hopefully clear the air even a little bit between them. Bret said if he saw Shawn at all that weekend, he'd skip the induction, and if he saw Shawn during the induction he'd walk off the stage. Shawn told Vince that if that was the case, he was fine just leaving the room during the induction before Bret's.

Shawn Michaels: Being the bigger man since 2002