Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Lombardi beat HHH, so its not gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Judakel posted:

On a serious note:, Kanyon was one of the better wrestlers out there. Unfortunately he hosed guys and had to go.

Well, I'd say it's not that he was gay, but that he went around whining that he was being held down due to homophobia.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

reality_groove posted:

Well, I'd say it's not that he was gay, but that he went around whining that he was being held down due to homophobia.

Case in point: Pat Patterson liked the BANANA and it never hurt his career.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

grody but still def posted:

lemme put it this way: no
They did. Much like Medusa, Rhino, Christian and all other folks who badmouth WWE on camera, as long as you don't go out of your way to do it OFF camera, Vince doesn't seem to mind. Even then, if you ever made him a serious amount of cash, all is forgiven.

I don't like Vince McMahon, but at least he understands that reading from a script is reading from a script.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

KungFu Grip posted:

The Dudleys got pissed once they found out they didn't own those names. Then they went and shitted all over the WWE any chance they got.

This has probably been discussed before, but how did this work, exactly? When they jumped from ECW to WWF the first time around the used the Dudley name, indicating that it wasn't copyrighted by ECW, it certianally wouldn't have been copyrighted by the WWF at that time either. How could the WWF magically get the rights to the name after they bought ECW? Furthermore, isn't that kind of admitting that they comitted copyright infringement against ECW from 1999 to early 2001?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

This has probably been discussed before, but how did this work, exactly? When they jumped from ECW to WWF the first time around the used the Dudley name, indicating that it wasn't copyrighted by ECW, it certianally wouldn't have been copyrighted by the WWF at that time either. How could the WWF magically get the rights to the name after they bought ECW? Furthermore, isn't that kind of admitting that they comitted copyright infringement against ECW from 1999 to early 2001?

Nobody bothered to copyright it until WWE did, so it's the Dudley's own fault, they should have done it themselves.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

apsouthern posted:

Dean Malenko and Steve Lombardi for the Hall of Fame - they're both employed by the company so must be in their good books still (plus I've developed a soft spot for Dean Malenko recently).

Its sad how Dean's career ended. Stuck forever in the cruiser weight/light-heavy weight championship divisions until he retired. His gimmick in the WWE was awful. The 'Ice Man' gimmick suited him because it hid his lack of charisma and looked really good with his cold demeanor.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

ColeM posted:

Its sad how Dean's career ended. Stuck forever in the cruiser weight/light-heavy weight championship divisions until he retired. His gimmick in the WWE was awful. The 'Ice Man' gimmick suited him because it hid his lack of charisma and looked really good with his cold demeanor.

That's the thing with Malenko, I hated him in the WWF/E because there was nothing likeable about him - I've since gone back and watched his WCW and ECW matches and the guy was great.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

apsouthern posted:

That's the thing with Malenko, I hated him in the WWF/E because there was nothing likeable about him - I've since gone back and watched his WCW and ECW matches and the guy was great.

Dean in WCW had the "Taz Factor"

As in, if you saw him in real life he would be silly looking for how tiny he is but behind good directing and wrestling he looked scary as hell on tv.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yes, Dean Malenko was infinitely better in WCW and his feud with Jericho there shows that fans could legitimately get behind the guy and support him (although more because of Jericho than anything he did), but I was entertained for a little bit by the idea of Dean Malenko as a ladies man in the WWE, trying desperately to get with Lita.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fallon posted:

Nobody bothered to copyright it until WWE did, so it's the Dudley's own fault, they should have done it themselves.
I don't think you understand how copyright works or the difference between it and trademark.

The only reason they got away with using the gimmick in the WWF before the buyout was that Paul just didn't care. If you come up with a gimmick in any fed, it's their intellectual property.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I don't think you understand how copyright works or the difference between it and trademark.

The only reason they got away with using the gimmick in the WWF before the buyout was that Paul just didn't care. If you come up with a gimmick in any fed, it's their intellectual property.

Pretty sure the deal with WWE and ECW was when they bought out ECW they also got all their intellectual property too, that's how they were able to use the Dudley name in WWF(all 3 of them) but once they left WWE they had to go by Brother [insert name].

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

KungFu Grip posted:

Pretty sure the deal with WWE and ECW was when they bought out ECW they also got all their intellectual property too, that's how they were able to use the Dudley name in WWF(all 3 of them) but once they left WWE they had to go by Brother [insert name].
You're forgetting the period of a couple of years where ECW technically owned the Dudley name, but the Dudley Boyz still used it in the WWF.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When was the last time, aside from Jericho, somebody actually followed up their heel turn with a reasonable explanation?

I remember Christian turning on Sting having a pretty good one, but other than that I can think of none.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ColeM posted:

I recently watched the matches on the Rise And Fall Of WCW dvd and one match is Malenko Vs Guerrero for the United States Championship (I think) - that match was entertaining as hell and Malenko showed a ton of personality. More than I had ever seen him show during a match. I think its the only match where you'll see Malenko use a frogspash just because it was Eddie's finisher - and Eddie slapped the clover leaf on Dean. Fantastic match, bullshit ending and lots of personality from both guys.

I think Malenko would have mad a really great Heel.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
"I was holding a steel chair, and he had a fly on his back."

Dewwy
Jun 9, 2005

by Ozma

LividLiquid posted:

When was the last time, aside from Jericho, somebody actually followed up their heel turn with a reasonable explanation?

I would say the only one close would be CM Punk. I say Punk because his character seems to legitimately believe that what he's doing is right, which is something that made Jericho's turn so great.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Tato posted:

Yes, Dean Malenko was infinitely better in WCW and his feud with Jericho there shows that fans could legitimately get behind the guy and support him (although more because of Jericho than anything he did), but I was entertained for a little bit by the idea of Dean Malenko as a ladies man in the WWE, trying desperately to get with Lita.

I used to think WCW under utilized him, but the WWE was even worse. I'll admit that I was entertained when we was wrestling Lita and Jacqueline for his ladies man/women beating angle and when he was actually having serious matches, he was the Dean of old.

Size doesn't have anything to do with how he was utilized, Eddie G was the same size and he had good matches and promos with Lesnar and Batista.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I guess Paul saw the guys getting a decent push when they first arrived on the WWF scene and didn't want to gently caress it up for them.

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

Beneath the surface lies the future.
I have a WCW question. I'm watching the first three hour Nitro episode on WWE 24/7. It starts with them hyping up this clip from the Souled Out PPV that will make you just oh so sick to your stomach. Of course I'm talking about Kevin Nash 'Jack-Knife Power Bombing' The Giant. To me that power bomb looked like a botch as Nash just held onto The Giant too long, plus Nash falls over after it landed. Everyone is playing it like The Giant got dropped on his head and he is really messed up. It looks like his landed on his shoulders and gently at that.

So my question is, was that power bomb a botch and did WCW just try to play it off as something more than it was and run with it?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hudson posted:

So my question is, was that power bomb a botch and did WCW just try to play it off as something more than it was and run with it?
It was a botch and they ran with the angle of the powerbomb being an outlawed move....for like 6 months.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

It was a botch and they ran with the angle of the powerbomb being an outlawed move....for like 6 months.

Except only when Nash did it and he'd just do it and get taken away by security while screaming "Attica!"

Other people could powerbomb and the announcers wouldn't even mention that it was an illegal move. The only time I can think of that it was brought up was after a Kidman match where he did his short powerbomb. The next segment Scott Hall came out and said something about how it only seemed to matter depending on who did it, saying that WCW was treating nWo members unfairly. And, it being WCW, he was right; the heels were getting hosed over by the good guys.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Then Kevin would break the rules and use the move anyways, while getting 'fines' and 'arrested' and then getting over as rebel baby face because of it. Then the angle dropped off for no reason whatsoever.

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

Beneath the surface lies the future.
And it's such a retarded angle too. What makes it worse than any other finishing move? If I had a choice of taking a finishing move, I would rather be power bombed on my back than have say Macho Man plant his elbow into the center of my chest from the top rope.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

At one point WCW outlawed going to the top rope or throwing someone over the top rope - I can't imagine how anyone thought that would be a good idea.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

At one point WCW outlawed going to the top rope or throwing someone over the top rope - I can't imagine how anyone thought that would be a good idea.

Them's how you do in da olden days bucko.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The throwing someone over the top rope rules is something that's been in wrestling for years, it's not just WCW.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That wasn't an angle, that was Cowboy Bill Watts being his old school self(douche).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ColeM posted:

That wasn't an angle, that was Cowboy Bill Watts being his old school self(douche).

No, the Watts thing was doing moves off the top rope.

And Jushin Liger saying "gently caress it" and just did all his moves off the middle rope.

In the old days, a lot of feds had it be an automatic DQ if you threw your opponent over the top rope.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Davros1 posted:

No, the Watts thing was doing moves off the top rope.

Exactly, and imagine that rule still in effect nowadays and how many guys would have never gotten over without the help of their acrobatics.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Exactly, and imagine that rule still in effect nowadays and how many guys would have never gotten over without the help of their acrobatics.

Triple H, Batista, and Randy Orton would all be fine.

And isn't that all that really matters?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Triple H, Batista, and Randy Orton would all be fine.

And isn't that all that really matters?

Triple H would never have gotten over without HBK.

Batista would: See HHH.

Orton would: See Batista.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Here's something I'll ask, even though it's a silly question:

A lot of times when old school heels like Lou Albano, Ric Flair, and Superstar Billy Graham are telling stories of the old days, they'll often talk about how they incited "full scale riots." In fact, just about every story by these guys starts with "So there I was, after the match, it was a full scale riot and..." :v:

I guess my question is: I know kayfabe was heavily protected, but do you think there really was always full scale riots with these guys, or are they just being marks for themselves?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Hudson posted:

And it's such a retarded angle too. What makes it worse than any other finishing move? If I had a choice of taking a finishing move, I would rather be power bombed on my back than have say Macho Man plant his elbow into the center of my chest from the top rope.

Flair actually outlawed the top rope elbow in 1999 after he had won control of WCW, and got out of a mental institution, because Macho Man sent Charles Robinson to the hospital (Kayfabe) with it.

Over-Sold
May 22, 2007

Under-Brained
The best part of the power-ban was when Nash got DQ'ed for using it in a no DQ match! :laugh:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Over-Sold posted:

The best part of the power-ban was when Nash got DQ'ed for using it in a no DQ match! :laugh:

:psyduck:

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better

Carney posted:

Here's something I'll ask, even though it's a silly question:

A lot of times when old school heels like Lou Albano, Ric Flair, and Superstar Billy Graham are telling stories of the old days, they'll often talk about how they incited "full scale riots." In fact, just about every story by these guys starts with "So there I was, after the match, it was a full scale riot and..." :v:

I guess my question is: I know kayfabe was heavily protected, but do you think there really was always full scale riots with these guys, or are they just being marks for themselves?

Hyperbole or figure of speech. Like when Hulk said, "all the Hulkimaniacs were running wild!" They were usually standing or sitting and not running.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Why are wrestling fans so obsessed with TV ratings and buy-rates? I can understand the people working in the companies having an interest, but why is there this slavish attention to it from people it doesn't affect in the slightest?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

HorseHeadBed posted:

Why are wrestling fans so obsessed with TV ratings and buy-rates? I can understand the people working in the companies having an interest, but why is there this slavish attention to it from people it doesn't affect in the slightest?

It comes from the Monday Night Wars, I think. Bischoff was obsessed over Nitro's ratings beating Raw, and that attitude has carried over. Vince even said on the Monday Night Wars dvd that he really didn't care that much about ratings until Nitro came along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

HorseHeadBed posted:

Because the show with the higher ratings will be seen to be doing better. We want WWE to be forced to recognise Smackdown as the better show so their lovely Raw booking will go away.