Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
AWESOME! 4 at once? I just started rewatching Spiral Labyrinth too. : )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Sweet! Nothing better than some new LOGH.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I need some explanation on why this is 718 dollars, HLJ doesn't have any description for it. From what I can tell, the ship are all fairly small simple model kits, why the hell is it so expensive?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's not a model kit, is a complete set of EVERY ship type in LOGH in fully well modeled, artist-quality figures. It comes with like 70 different ships.

They have smaller sets from the overall collection that cost like $120 each for like 10 ships.

Also they're pretty big man, 1/12000 for massive ships is something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zorak posted:

It's not a model kit, is a complete set of EVERY ship type in LOGH in fully well modeled, artist-quality figures. It comes with like 70 different ships.

They have smaller sets from the overall collection that cost like $120 each for like 10 ships.

Also they're pretty big man, 1/12000 for massive ships is something.

Ah alright. I thought they were like 5 inch long ships. I don't think I ever heard the official scale for the ships in LOGH. I tried finding one of the schematic books but didn't find anything. Closest I found was some 55 dollar artbook on ebay that I'm not even sure has detailed pages for the ships.

If it comes with 70 different high-quality ships that aren't tiny little hot-dog sized things, that's a completely different story. The picture there isn't too flattering, though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah alright. I thought they were like 5 inch long ships. I don't think I ever heard the official scale for the ships in LOGH. I tried finding one of the schematic books but didn't find anything. Closest I found was some 55 dollar artbook on ebay that I'm not even sure has detailed pages for the ships.

If it comes with 70 different high-quality ships that aren't tiny little hot-dog sized things, that's a completely different story. The picture there isn't too flattering, though.

Hot Dog size is pretty good size when they're really well done and there's seventy of them

Keep in mind a 1/144 scale well painted Gundam display figure is in the $50-60 range too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zorak posted:

Hot Dog size is pretty good size when they're really well done and there's seventy of them

Keep in mind a 1/144 scale well painted Gundam display figure is in the $50-60 range too.

Oh, these are all well-painted and assembled too? I was assuming the picture was of the finished products, and that you got some unpainted, unassembled resin bits to put together.

Edit: honestly I was just basing it solely off that one picture. That picture isn't the most flattering one they could have gotten. The small Alliance ship in the bottom right looks like a novelty eraser.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, these are all well-painted and assembled too? I was assuming the picture was of the finished products, and that you got some unpainted, unassembled resin bits to put together.

As the Assembly Guide listing says, it's prepainted and preassembled.

Take a look around at the other stuff under the series listing to see what the components look like otherwise.

http://www.hlj.com/product/WRS81008

like this. This is one of the minor sets included in that Complete Collection.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What's this Mutineer Gaiden that CA recently released? I thought Spiral Labyrinth was the only other OVA for LOGH.

Gaiden Mutineer 1-4

Kircheis
Aug 14, 2007
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
I bought Collection 1 of the 1/12000 scale ships when I was in Japan. That alone cost ~$100, and the ships are pretty small in it. Japanese hobby stuff is just insanely expensive. Note that in addition to the ships being about $700, the estimated shipping is like $200.

I'll try to take a picture of the ships when I get a chance to give a sense of their size.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

What's this Mutineer Gaiden that CA recently released? I thought Spiral Labyrinth was the only other OVA for LOGH.
I believe it's Spiral Labyrinth 15-18.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CA is naming each arc separately, it's a little confusing if you're used to thinking of them in terms of seasons.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I did a bit of research on the gaidens, because I was confused too. Like EX-GAIJIN AT LAST said they're naming each arc differently, however it looks like they gave numbered names to the first 4 gaidens (i.e. Gaiden 1, Gaiden 2) and then they gave the arc title to Spiral Labyrinth and Mutineer.

1 Valley of White Silver #1-4 (side stories series episodes 1-4)
2 Morning's Dream, Night's Song #1-4 (5-8)
3 Disgrace #1-4 (9-12)
4 A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights #1-12 (13-24)
5 Spiral Labyrinth #1-14 (25-38)
6 Mutineer #1-4 (39-42)

The above have all been subbed so far.

And here's whats left
(mild spoilers in the title, or episode order)
7 Those Who Duel #1-4 (43-46)
8 Those Who Recapture #1-4 (47-50)
9 The Third Tiamat Battle #1-2 (51-52)

There are a total of 110 episodes in series, 52 gaiden episodes, and 2 movies.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Mutineer was good, though I hate how they're using a different sort of animation - it makes the space scenes look so much less gorgeous than their original hand-drawn work in the main series.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
10 episodes left, huh? I just came here to ask that, as I never started watching the side stories once I was done the main series for fear of a really long wait.

(Maybe there should just be a thread—or page on the wiki—for listing great series that are guaranteed to be complete and available, manga finished and no more material to adapt into a new season, everything. I'd use the hell out of such a thing, since it means getting to quickly blast through a series with no resulting outcome such as waiting for a new chapter every week for five ten more years, or realizing after the fact that you'd need to buy a hundred DVDs to complete a collection.)

Zorak posted:

That's an l. Heldensagen Vom Kosmosinsef
I remember spending the majority of 110 episodes trying to decode that text, not ever freezing the frame but just making a two-second attempt during each run through the OPs. ("derdensa... aww, gently caress it, no further than I got the last ten times, I'll try again 22 minutes from now I guess")

Zackarotto fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 6, 2009

Salvanis
Dec 10, 2005
Insert text here.
Hey, does anyone have a list of the named stars that showed up in the series?

I've recently been looking up the names of the various starzones I could remember after I found out that Amritsar is a major city pretty close to the India-Pakistan border that has seen its fair share of invasions and border-related violence.

Digging through Wikipedia, I found a few other points of interest: Legnica is the site of the crossroads for some medieval travel routes through Poland and was the site of a crushing defeat in Europe's attempt to prevent the Mongol invasion in the early 1240s, Fezzan was home for a thousand years to an empire that controlled the trans-Saharan trade routes between Carthage, Rome, and the kingdoms of West Africa, and Rantemario is the highest mountain on the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia.

So, other than the obvious deities (Dagon, Tiamat, Astarte, Odin, etc.), what other references are hiding in the stars that I've forgotten the names of, and is there a site that has already compiled all the references?

Oh, and since this is the first time I've actually popped in to post in this thread, excellent, excellent show all around, and I'm glad I watched it on ADTRW's recommendation. Definitely in my top five shows I've ever seen. Still need to finish the available gaidens though; HBSHBL is next up.

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

Morals are for men, not gods.
Well I wonder what Ale Heinessan could be referring too....

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

Zackarotto posted:

I remember spending the majority of 110 episodes trying to decode that text, not ever freezing the frame but just making a two-second attempt during each run through the OPs. ("derdensa... aww, gently caress it, no further than I got the last ten times, I'll try again 22 minutes from now I guess")

There are two separate gaidens you know- A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights (mostly about Reinhard and Kircheis) and Spiral Labyrinth (mostly about Yang). The first one is totally done, so if you're worried about a long wait there's no reason why you couldn't at least watch that one.

And on the topic of star system names, there's definitely one called the Reykjavík system, which was an awesome shoutout for those of us who live here.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Looks like you quoted the wrong part of my post, but anyhow, if there are just ten episodes left to go I might as well wait and watch both gaidens at the same time; I have another highly-acclaimed retro space-war anime to get started on, so I'm not completely starving here.

Salvanis
Dec 10, 2005
Insert text here.

Gary Mitchell posted:

Well I wonder what Ale Heinessan could be referring too....

Magnus Heinessen, the 16th century Danish warrior-priest sent by his king to tend to the spiritual needs of the people of the Faroe Islands, who built a fortress and a navy in the Faroes in hopes of protecting them from invaders, and was later executed by the Danish government on charges of piracy for attacking an English ship that had just raided and looted them?

No, I suppose that's a pretty thin correlation. It's probably an oblique beer reference.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Zackarotto posted:

Looks like you quoted the wrong part of my post, but anyhow, if there are just ten episodes left to go I might as well wait and watch both gaidens at the same time; I have another highly-acclaimed retro space-war anime to get started on, so I'm not completely starving here.

Don't be coy, tell us what this other show is!

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

KlavoHunter posted:

Don't be coy, tell us what this other show is!
:rolleyes: feh, if you read every thread like a true goon would, you would already know I am referring to mobile suit zeta gundam

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Zackarotto posted:

:rolleyes: feh, if you read every thread like a true goon would, you would already know I am referring to mobile suit zeta gundam

eh that one is boring, skip straight to ZZ thats where the action is.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Enjoyed the hell out of "Mutineer", and man is it nice to see these things in primo-quality.

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

These MKVs are beautiful, and that's just DVD quality. According to this site (japanese), LOGH will be getting a Blu-ray release on my birthday! Copy/paste translation from the Central Anime forums:

quote:

- Legend of Galactic Heroes will get Blu-ray release. First box coming this December 18th. First box 53,025yen, second box 61,950yen, third 69,300yen, and fourth box is 67,725 yen. OVA itself is SD master upconvert and movies are in HD telecine master.

That's about $2338.20 CAD ($2161.40 USD) for the whole series... drat they are serious about their cartoons in Japan. I wonder how much of an improvement the upscale will be over the DVDs, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gary Mitchell posted:

That's about $2338.20 CAD ($2161.40 USD) for the whole series... drat they are serious about their cartoons in Japan.
More like they have no concept of supply and demand.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Since i never even got through the first episode (shame on me), i figured it's about time to give this another fresh start wih the (hopefully) much better looking DVD versions.
Sadly, CA's scarywater torrents for these are pretty much dead. Oh, only 40 hours of downloading for one episode? And that's if there even are any seeds at all. :sigh:

Is there any place i can get at these things with a little more ease and/or speed?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HenryEx posted:

Is there any place i can get at these things with a little more ease and/or speed?
Here

Not exactly a site you want to browse while others are around, though.

No DVD versions or even My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, unfortunately.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gary Mitchell posted:

That's about $2338.20 CAD ($2161.40 USD) for the whole series... drat they are serious about their cartoons in Japan. I wonder how much of an improvement the upscale will be over the DVDs, though.

For that price you'd think they could at least make a proper HD remaster from the original animation elements.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

More like they have no concept of supply and demand.

From what I was told by some Japanese coworkers living there who are familiar with this, the logic on Japanese R2 anime DVD prices goes like so. Their purchase data indicates that X number of people are guaranteed to buy something at whatever price they set. So they set it at a ridiculous price on the assumption that it will sell X copies, and if it happens to sell more copies after that core group buys it, then it's just an added bonus. They really don't care past that point.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hokuto posted:

From what I was told by some Japanese coworkers living there who are familiar with this, the logic on Japanese R2 anime DVD prices goes like so. Their purchase data indicates that X number of people are guaranteed to buy something at whatever price they set. So they set it at a ridiculous price on the assumption that it will sell X copies, and if it happens to sell more copies after that core group buys it, then it's just an added bonus. They really don't care past that point.

Yes, that's pretty much it exactly. They don't believe in supply and demand, like Nate RFB said.

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

For that price you'd think they could at least make a proper HD remaster from the original animation elements.

I've seen websites with people showing off their original animation-cell collections, so I don't think re-animating it frame-by-frame is an option without re-drawing most of it. Unless that's not what you meant -- I really don't know how this stuff works but they would have captured it frame-by-frame onto reels of film, right? Is that what is considered to be the master source? Because in that case, couldn't you just telecine that at higher resolution?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Gary Mitchell posted:

Because in that case, couldn't you just telecine that at higher resolution?
This is what people normally mean when they say remaster. Though you can have something like Dragon Ball Z where the reels and other materials are lost and you have to upscale and/or redraw scenes.

Takanaki
Feb 9, 2005
Goon has stairs.
CA is so slow with the DVD episodes. They've been at it for years, does anyone know what the hold up is?

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

They'll be starting over soon with the DVD releases, since up until now they've been releasing hardsubbed AVIs. Now they'll be going back and redoing the ones they've already released as MKVs with soft-subs. Hopefully that won't take too long because they've already got the subs re-timed, they just need to re-rip the video and package it all together.

Plus, looking at the torrent RSS feed lately they've been focusing on "Cross Game" -- it makes sense to finish a new show before you go and re-release a show you've already made.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gary Mitchell posted:

I've seen websites with people showing off their original animation-cell collections, so I don't think re-animating it frame-by-frame is an option without re-drawing most of it. Unless that's not what you meant -- I really don't know how this stuff works but they would have captured it frame-by-frame onto reels of film, right? Is that what is considered to be the master source? Because in that case, couldn't you just telecine that at higher resolution?

Yeah I guess that was unrealistic on my part. But my point was that they mention using the standard-def masters rather than creating a HD master from the film. It may no longer exist though, as in the DBZ case.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
This is a random question but it's been bothering me for a long time, so I'll shoot it out there: in episode 108, after Julian fights his way to Reinhard and makes his proposal, Reinhard says, "This is the second man who's come to me and collapsed, isn't it, Müller." Does anyone know who he's talking about with regard to the first? The only thing I can think of is Yang, who gave him that argument a long time ago and later died, but that would be a pretty questionable translation then. Does anyone happen to have any ideas?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I watched the end of the series, but I think [ep108] he's talking about how Yang fought his way to his ship in that last great battle they had. How Yang had him dead to rights but then backed down on orders from the main planet, not that he physically fell down as Julian had. But it's Yang either way.

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Does anyone have the properly tagged audio (MP3/FLAC/whatever, doesn't matter) from the Alliance/Empire CD Boxset and Theme Collection they could throw up on sendspace or something? The only torrent of them with any seeds is the MP3 Engrishy version and retagging a couple hundred songs is not a pleasant prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tell me about it, I've been retagging on my own, off and on, but mostly off. I was doing it the thorough way by looking on Wikipedia for index numbers where they're included, to be sure I'm at least getting the name of a piece that actually exists instead of guessing, and also to find the composer when all that's listed is Berlin Philharmonic or something. It's surprisingly time-consuming even if you expect it to take a while.