Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

Holy poo poo Giallo was bad, how bad? John Landis walked out after 10 minutes.

I've actually heard that Argento himself regrets the film already. I'm not joking either. It must be a colossal mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

InfiniteZero posted:

I've actually heard that Argento himself regrets the film already. I'm not joking either. It must be a colossal mess.

I heard he wants he disowns it. I heard Adrian Brody is a massive dick and pretty much took over the project.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Just bumping to say I'm heading out the door for Sorority Row.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Slasherfan posted:

Just bumping to say I'm heading out the door for Sorority Row.

I knew that paying the fees for Slasherfan-and-SororityRow-crossoverwatch.com would pay off. And they told me I was crazy back then! Who's laughing now?

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME
Check out these character names:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1232783/fullcredits#cast

I have my money on Sea Pig as the killer.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Ape Agitator posted:

I knew that paying the fees for Slasherfan-and-SororityRow-crossoverwatch.com would pay off. And they told me I was crazy back then! Who's laughing now?

I don't get this...

Anyway, Sorority Row is awesome, total throwback to the 80s slasher movie who done its I loved so much. Cool kills (although not a bloodbath) great suspence, good characters and a killer revelation THAT DOESN'T loving CHEAT.
I highly recommend Sorority Row.

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME
So who is it then, was I close?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

mexicanmonkey posted:

So who is it then, was I close?

I'm not saying. Didn't see the sea pig in the movie which is a shame as it was the name of someone from the original movie. I thought there would be a reference there.
All the guys in the movie where total assholes. Don't know if this was intentional or not. Leah Pipes pretty much steals the entire movie as the super bitch Jessica. She gets all the good lines in the movie and somehow becomes kind of likable even though she's a total bitch.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 9, 2009

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah Sorority Row isn't bad. Certainly better than Halloween II and is a pretty fun romp. It's comparable to Black Christmas redux except this got fun slasher remake right.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

weekly font posted:

Yeah Sorority Row isn't bad. Certainly better than Halloween II and is a pretty fun romp. It's comparable to Black Christmas redux except this got fun slasher remake right.

I'd call Black Xmas a fun bad movie. Sorority Row is a fun good movie. I loved it :)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Someone just showed me the movie The Poughkeepsie tapes which I had not seen, thats a pretty interesting film. Not amazing but definitely good with what they had. The talking heads get annoying but other than that I liked it as a whole Mockumentary / Slasher film.

Any word or screenshots from the new Nightmare on Elmstreet? I read they were toning down the Child molester angle on it.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Should I go see Cabin Fever 2 in a few weeks? Apparently it's been sitting around unreleased for a few years, so it's probably completely terrible, but I liked the first one.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Hollis posted:

Someone just showed me the movie The Poughkeepsie tapes which I had not seen, thats a pretty interesting film. Not amazing but definitely good with what they had. The talking heads get annoying but other than that I liked it as a whole Mockumentary / Slasher film.
If you picture it as a parody of Errol Morris documentaries it's great. I love Errol Morris and all, and The Poughkeepsie Tapes is not a good horror movie, but I enjoyed it on that level. All it was missing was a Phillip Glass score.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
Never trust the White man driving the Black van, he's saving all his voodoo for you

FirstCongoWar posted:

Should I go see Cabin Fever 2 in a few weeks? Apparently it's been sitting around unreleased for a few years, so it's probably completely terrible, but I liked the first one.

It directed by TI West... so yea see it - its supposed to be gory as gently caress and as if John Waters made a gore-horror film

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Hollis posted:

Not sure if it really counts as a slaher flick, but I'll throw my two cents in about Poughkeepsie. For the most part it's an enjoyable flick, even if the acting is never 100% convincing. Some of the mock found-footage scenes, however, do approach a kind of uncomfortable line of distaste: even though of course it's fake, it's supposed to look like actual torture/murder footage as much as possible, so in effect we're supposed to be getting a thrill from watching people get murdered. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth in parts. If the movie ever actually gets released (it was made in, what 2006?), I imagine they might cut a bit of the video footage, especially since some of them go on for a while.

But whenever the movie's trying to be the biggest, baddest episode of Forensics Files or Unsolved Mysteries, it's a hoot.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Well, I just saw Deadgirl and...it's a pretty interesting movie. Probably the best social-satire horror film about adolescent desires since Teeth. However, Deadgirl is much, much darker and much, much more perverse. Of all the crappy horror films I watch, it's rare to see one with a point, and rarer still to see one that intentionally pushes buttons to make that point. I mean, if you think about it, Deadgirl is nothing but a horrific distortion of the male fantasy taken to its logical extreme.

I wish more filmmakers chose to use horror in the way it was originally used for these days.

EDIT: To anyone who saw the festival version, was there some kind of hint that the dead girl was imaginary? Reading reviews from that era, it seems as if that's what critics took from it, that it may have been about repressed homosexual desires as much as objectification of women.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 10, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

bad movie knight posted:

Well, I just saw Deadgirl and...it's a pretty interesting movie.
Good to know. Fangoria turned me on to that one and I'm really interested to see it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bad movie knight posted:

Well, I just saw Deadgirl and...it's a pretty interesting movie. Probably the best social-satire horror film about adolescent desires since Teeth. However, Deadgirl is much, much darker and much, much more perverse. Of all the crappy horror films I watch, it's rare to see one with a point, and rarer still to see one that intentionally pushes buttons to make that point. I mean, if you think about it, Deadgirl is nothing but a horrific distortion of the male fantasy taken to its logical extreme.

I wish more filmmakers chose to use horror in the way it was originally used for these days.

EDIT: To anyone who saw the festival version, was there some kind of hint that the dead girl was imaginary? Reading reviews from that era, it seems as if that's what critics took from it, that it may have been about repressed homosexual desires as much as objectification of women.

I quite liked it as well but I thought that literally going zombie infection at the end weakened it a bit

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Honest Thief posted:

I quite liked it as well but I thought that literally going zombie infection at the end weakened it a bit
But it works so beautifully as a metaphor for hormonal urges or something like that, and it sets up that final shot.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bad movie knight posted:

But it works so beautifully as a metaphor for hormonal urges or something like that, and it sets up that final shot.

I would have liked it better if the deadgirl "making" process was more of the actual rape and dehumanisation, instead of some virus that then allowed them to morally accept what they would do. Basically I wanted to see them take that next step on moral degradation without thinking "well she can't die, she aint human then!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Deadgirl was good because what the two teenagers do is completely and utterly realistic.

I didn't particularly care for it but felt it was a strong horror movie. Feminist will have fun with it.

howthedevil
Nov 3, 2002

by Fistgrrl
Hrm, I felt almost the opposite about Deadgirl. It entertained me, but the actions and motivations of most of the characters usually felt unrealistic.

Maybe it was the acting not helping - the pacing and delivery of the lines just felt...wrong somehow.

I didn't really mind that they didn't explain why the dead girl was there and in that state but it did bug me that the dog for no real reason other than to force a few events didn't even have a hint of explanation or sense to it.

I liked it, it was pretty interesting, but it could have been a lot better.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Slasherfan posted:

Anyway, Sorority Row is awesome, total throwback to the 80s slasher movie who done its I loved so much. Cool kills (although not a bloodbath) great suspence, good characters and a killer revelation THAT DOESN'T loving CHEAT.
I highly recommend Sorority Row.

Sorority Row isn't bad at all but it's an 80s slasher to a tee. It's one of the least progressive horror movies to come out for some time. You should be prepared for people to inexplicably split up, act casually when they're in overt danger, and make no attempt to either kill or confirm the death of a villain. If it wasn't for the smarmy and sarcastic bitchy blonde lending that post-90s ironic twinge it could have been a glossy version of something from the 80s.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Looks like Halloween 2 is out in the UK October 9th. Just in time for my birthday, joy. At least it's closer to Halloween.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

Sorority Row isn't bad at all but it's an 80s slasher to a tee. It's one of the least progressive horror movies to come out for some time. You should be prepared for people to inexplicably split up, act casually when they're in overt danger, and make no attempt to either kill or confirm the death of a villain. If it wasn't for the smarmy and sarcastic bitchy blonde lending that post-90s ironic twinge it could have been a glossy version of something from the 80s.

Would you rank SR above or below the remakes of Halloween or Friday the 13th? I was thinking of giving SR a try just for a boredom escape.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I just read Cold Prey 3 is in production. Looks like it's going to be a prequel. I Think Cold Prey 1 and 2 are one of the best made slasher movies of this decade. Hope they don't gently caress 3 up.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

IceNiner posted:

Would you rank SR above or below the remakes of Halloween or Friday the 13th? I was thinking of giving SR a try just for a boredom escape.

Whoops, missed this. Really, if you're at all interested in SR I suspect it will meet your expectations. With the exception of nudity by the main cast, it's the 80s movie it advertises itself to be. Some gore (but not late 2000s gore), lots of bad choices by the characters, and a big finale finish.

Although I had problems with both of them, I think it's probably about on par with the Friday and first Halloween remakes. But that's a hard comparison because they were all aiming for different things. Halloween was trying to be different and succeeded and failed in some respects. Friday was trying to update and brought in some problems. SR isn't trying to do either in my opinion so if there are things you love about 80s slashers, I think you'll find them. If there are things that frustrate you about 80s slashers, I think you'll find them here as well.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
You US Goons, why are none of you seeing Joel Schumachers 'Blood Creek' this weekend? Oh that's right, it's because according the LionsGate the film doesn't actually exist. Hell, even IMDB actually lists it as 'Town Creek' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450336/

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

You US Goons, why are none of you seeing Joel Schumachers 'Blood Creek' this weekend? Oh that's right, it's because according the LionsGate the film doesn't actually exist. Hell, even IMDB actually lists it as 'Town Creek' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450336/

Never even heard of it?

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.
I know I'm quite late in seeing this, but I finally saw Halloween 2, and I honestly loved it. I get the argument about Michael warping to and fro, but I didn't find it too out of place or any kind of deal breaker. I expected that he was going to find her, and it honestly doesn't really matter too much how he gets there (barring anything too ridiculous).

I think it played the mother/horse/PTSD thing fine. She says to her therapist at one point, "without my parents, I don't know who I am", so it comes as no surprise that upon discovering they weren't her biological family, she ends up making a connection with her new identity because the old one is so flimsy. There's obviously some kind of connection between her and Michael, and instead of rebelling against it, she accepts it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Slasherfan posted:

Never even heard of it?

Neither did I until yesterday. It's about Nazi Occultism though and seems a B-Movie revenge flick through and through. Apparantly there's not even a poster for it. Oh Schumacher, how you have fallen.

Pyramid Head
Dec 31, 2007

Just as a heads up, a teaser trailer for the Elm Street remake is apparently attached to Zombieland which comes out this week. Word on the internet is that it's going to be debuting a little sooner, though, supposedly on Myspace.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Pyramid Head posted:

Just as a heads up, a teaser trailer for the Elm Street remake is apparently attached to Zombieland which comes out this week. Word on the internet is that it's going to be debuting a little sooner, though, supposedly on Myspace.

I hear the Cabin In The Woods trailer is before Zombieland also.

Also, UK Goons, Tormented is out on DVD. It's a decent little gem, it's a shame the DVD cover sucks so badly.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Bump to menion that the Nightmare On Elm Street trailer is supposed to be hitting the web tonight, keep your eyes peeled.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Not sure if this is the thread for it, but what do people know about Human Centipede? I'm not usually into so-hosed-it's-scary horror, but this concept it just so bizarre and off-putting that I'm curious as to how it holds up in a feature-length movie. I can't imagine that there's much to be seen.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/27/barf-city-clip-from-the-human-centipede-one-of-the-grossest-movies-of-all-time/

LeechCode5
Dec 19, 2004

Burn, Galactica! You're finished, Adama!

Slasherfan posted:

Bump to menion that the Nightmare On Elm Street trailer is supposed to be hitting the web tonight, keep your eyes peeled.

Yeah, just read on the producer's Twitter page that it'll be online tonight at midnight (pacific time) on MySpace. Guess I'm staying up a few hours longer.

EDIT:
Guess they released it early, its up on MySpace right now. Looks alright, a few shots are directly copied from the original. Not sure how I feel about Freddy's new look.

LeechCode5 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 28, 2009

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Here's a link to the new trailer: http://www.fangoria.com/features/ni...omment_id=17054

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I think this looks very interesting, and to be honest, it looks scary, something Freddy hasn't been since "New Nightmare" (and even that was a brief stop before heading back to "camp" with Freddy Vs. Jason. No that wasn't supposed to be a Crystal Lake pun)

From what I gathered during readings of Script Reviews and one line in the trailer it looks as if they are trying to make it ambiguous if Freddy was really guilty of the crimes that the parents burned him for. While this is an interesting route, I hope that in the end, he is guilty. I dunno why, but the fact that he did what he did BEFORE he died makes him ten times creepier to me. Apparently in one draft of the script, the kids he kills in the film actually lied to their parents about certain aspects of what Freddy was doing...so...I dunno about all that, but...I enjoyed the hell out of both Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th from the PD guys (let's ignore Hitcher and the TCM preuel), and this looks to be a good addition to their fun adaptations.

I am really digging the new look and voice of Kruger though. Rock on, Jackie!

Edit: I also really hope they keep nothing of the ending of the original film. Holy poo poo...Poor Wes Craven being told to shoe-horn the Freddy crap into that. The Love Doll-through-the-window gag is still kinda hilarious though. the "I take away the power I give you" part of the ending was also pretty weak, but I imagine they ran out of time and ideas by that point. Actually only one of the Freddy films does away with him in an actual well-written manner. Dream Warriors has the best ending of all the films, even New Nightmare, I feel (though New Nightmare comes close)

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 28, 2009

wuwu
Apr 5, 2009
While I am impressed by the trailer, I will say that I am little peeved that they had to do some shot for shot recreations from the original movie. At best it seems kinda lazy film making and winking at the audiences if that makes any sense.

I certainly hope though there are some intensive and new kills as oppose to just recycling the same kills from before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I think this looks very interesting, and to be honest, it looks scary, something Freddy hasn't been since "New Nightmare" (and even that was a brief stop before heading back to "camp" with Freddy Vs. Jason. No that wasn't supposed to be a Crystal Lake pun)

From what I gathered during readings of Script Reviews and one line in the trailer it looks as if they are trying to make it ambiguous if Freddy was really guilty of the crimes that the parents burned him for. While this is an interesting route, I hope that in the end, he is guilty. I dunno why, but the fact that he did what he did BEFORE he died makes him ten times creepier to me. Apparently in one draft of the script, the kids he kills in the film actually lied to their parents about certain aspects of what Freddy was doing...so...I dunno about all that, but...I enjoyed the hell out of both Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th from the PD guys (let's ignore Hitcher and the TCM preuel), and this looks to be a good addition to their fun adaptations.

I am really digging the new look and voice of Kruger though. Rock on, Jackie!

Edit: I also really hope they keep nothing of the ending of the original film. Holy poo poo...Poor Wes Craven being told to shoe-horn the Freddy crap into that. The Love Doll-through-the-window gag is still kinda hilarious though. the "I take away the power I give you" part of the ending was also pretty weak, but I imagine they ran out of time and ideas by that point. Actually only one of the Freddy films does away with him in an actual well-written manner. Dream Warriors has the best ending of all the films, even New Nightmare, I feel (though New Nightmare comes close)

What are all of the ways Freddy has been killed? I don't if these are right, but I can remember:

1: don't believe in him
2: heterosexuality
3: burial on hallowed ground
4: show him a mirror
5: ?
Freddy's Dead: bring him into the real world and blow him up
New Nightmare: stab him with his own glove
Freddy vs. Jason: bring him into the real world and cut his head off (maybe)

I guess New Nightmare and 3 do work best, though Freddy's Dead/Freddy vs. Jason (bring him into the real world and kill him there) would probably work best though the actual movies' execution kind of blows.