Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chairon posted:

gently caress.

gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Melted a drat hole in my pants! I can't figure out how it happened either. It's on my outside right leg. The only thing near it is the muffler, and it's six inches behind it. And it's not on the inside or back, where I could accidentally rest my leg on it or anything. And my wrist is about to fall off from the clutch. Holy jesus.

I did that. I think it happened when I was standing on the left side of the bike and leaned over to hit the starter. Or maybe when I was securing luggage. I didn't notice until I took them off, which means they did the job preventing me from getting injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Phy posted:

Just got back from a weeklong ride to Vancouver Island. Will eventually post pictures, as well as from earlier rides this summer. Thanks to Simkin for the bomb around Victoria, and to the vicissitudes of mother nature for the holy gently caress incredible amounts of whales.

Lucky. I haven't ridden jack poo poo in the last couple of weeks. Der scooter is in the shop getting a major maintenance performed and I'm getting motorbiking withdraws.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Fantastipotamus posted:

Well, I put $250 down on a 2006 Speed Triple yesterday (looks like the one below almost exactly). It's got ~4200 miles or so, and it's all black. I don't have any pics yet because a) I didn't think of it while I was there and b) it was too new at the distributor for them to have got around to taking pictures yet.

It looks like this one below, and apart from replacing the back tire (which has a suspicious looking flatness in the middle, while the front still has plenty of life -- likely indicating burnouts?), my first order of business will be picking up the little flyscreen for the gauges. Oh, and it sounds loving awesome.

Awesome. I have an 07 (same bike) so feel free to contact me with any questions or sites. My email is my username at gmail.

Also check out
https://www.thespeedtriple.com (by far the best)
https://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chairon posted:

gently caress.

gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Melted a drat hole in my pants! I can't figure out how it happened either. It's on my outside right leg. The only thing near it is the muffler, and it's six inches behind it. And it's not on the inside or back, where I could accidentally rest my leg on it or anything. And my wrist is about to fall off from the clutch. Holy jesus.

probably when filling up or manoeuvring the bike while walking beside it, do you stand beside the bike or sit astride it to fill the tank?, i used to stand beside it till i melted a pair of overpants while leanign over to see the fuel level.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I've only had the new bike for a bit over a week and my rear brake is out. It was working fine on the test ride. People weren't kidding about these issues on Aprilias, I guess I am going to get very good at bleeding brakes :sigh:.

At least the AF1 forums have a pretty good walkthrough for it.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Dual Clutch Gearbox for the new vfr, seems pretty drat awesome apart from the silly hand shift.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/honda-dual-clutch-motorcycle-t.html#more

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dubs posted:

Dual Clutch Gearbox for the new vfr, seems pretty drat awesome apart from the silly hand shift.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/honda-dual-clutch-motorcycle-t.html#more

It seems like one of those things where you just say...why?

I mean, I know honda has to be absurd with their tech stuff, but seriously? I don't even use the clutch on the track where I care about speed of shifting, and on the street, who cares?

Could be good for paraplegic riders though.

Holy christ, though, their test rider is the most newbish shifter ever. Let's see how the system handles flat out, full RPM powershifts, and banging down a downshift at 8k RPM. I bet that a skilled rider who's shifting the bike the way it should be shifted (without pulling the clutch all the way in and slowly letting it out) would have no problems mimicking their dyno demonstration.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 9, 2009

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Dubs posted:

Meh. How's that gonna behave between 0 and 10 mph??

It'd be nice to teach someone to ride a bike who has no idea how a manual gearbox and clutch works, but that's not the kind of bike it's set up on at all...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Oakey posted:

I've only had the new bike for a bit over a week and my rear brake is out. It was working fine on the test ride. People weren't kidding about these issues on Aprilias, I guess I am going to get very good at bleeding brakes :sigh:.

At least the AF1 forums have a pretty good walkthrough for it.
n8r bought one that started pissing front brake fluid all over the instruments within a week or two i think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh thats called SOUL my friend :colbert:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If it works like on a VW GTI it will be "nice, impressive tech, not as bad as I thought, but not worth the extra $$$".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yamaha's 2010 US and Canadian models are out on the respective websites. Looks like they've ashcanned the FZ6 and the autoclutch FJR.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Sep/090908spies.htm

Spies lets his secrets out.

The very end is the best.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Z3n posted:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Sep/090908spies.htm

Spies lets his secrets out.

The very end is the best.

I also assume I'm riding a kitten. Kittens are fluffier than asphalt. It makes the 405 much less frightening.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That dual clutch thingy looks neat and all but, yeah, why?

I use my clutch to take off and downshift into first. Other than that I generally don't use it for up or downshifting. It's plenty smooth once you've practiced a bit too. No fancy pants electronics needed.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Bugdrvr posted:

Other than that I generally don't use it for up or downshifting. It's plenty smooth once you've practiced a bit too. No fancy pants electronics needed.

Isn't this a great way to end up needing a new gearbox?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Motorcycle transmissions are "designed" for it. Using the clutch is nicer though.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Hah, I was trying to catch up to another rider today, and got cut off by a car. She stared me down in her side view the ENTIRE time she changed lanes, and then proceeded to TAILGATE the other bike in front of me I had almost caught up with. I backed off, and at the next light I pulled up next to her, looked over, and she immediately apologized for cutting me off (even though it CLEARLY was done intentionally)...so I chastised her for tailgating the other motorcycle. They guy must have heard me, because he followed me home and thanked me for looking out for him!! What an awesome day! I love riding :D

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Nerobro posted:

Motorcycle transmissions are "designed" for it. Using the clutch is nicer though.

It helps if you picture different clutches as different animals. For example the '01 intruder lever is like a poodle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ranathari posted:

Isn't this a great way to end up needing a new gearbox?

Not if you do it right. If you screw it up though, you will round off the engagement dogs and you will eventually cause your transmission to start slipping out of gear.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
What's the right way to do it? I just learnt how to blip the throttle to smooth out changes instead.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Nerobro posted:

My brother in law regularly quotes Hewland (of "that Hewland") fame to me to the effect that a non-synchro 'box is best shifted by applying pressure to the shifter and then blipping the throttle (plus clutch on downshifts). Faster and harder is better basically, as wear/damage is only possible to dogs or gears during the shift.

Whereas on your typical H-pattern shift synchronised automotive box, slowly and gently is best. Apparently.

As Hewland was talking about crash boxes in racing cars AFAIK, it may make no difference at all for bikes with lower inertial loads etc.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ranathari posted:

What's the right way to do it?

Using the clutch comes to mind

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just use the drat clutch, is it that difficult, are you really setting lap records on the streets?

The clutch is there for a reason, and every time you dont perfectly clutchlessly shift, you're beating up the engagement dogs, and putting undue strain on the poo poo linkage.

Its not that tough to use the clutch

Saga posted:

My brother in law regularly quotes Hewland (of "that Hewland") fame to me to the effect that a non-synchro 'box is best shifted by applying pressure to the shifter and then blipping the throttle (plus clutch on downshifts). Faster and harder is better basically, as wear/damage is only possible to dogs or gears during the shift.

This is wrong. On upshifts you should be letting off the throttle to unload the gearbox, and the shift should ideally come when there is no load on the gearbox, but that exact moment in time is so tiny, especially at speed that you're just going to miss it 99% of the time. Will the bike still shift? Yes, but you're doing it with the gears loaded, and this again is hard on the dogs.

Downshifting is where you blip the throttle a little, assuming you're coasting against the engine.

Either way, the ideal way to shift is with the gearbox completely unloaded, which, coincidentally, is what the clutch does. AMAZING!!!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ranathari posted:

What's the right way to do it? I just learnt how to blip the throttle to smooth out changes instead.

I still clutch it and blip on downshifts, even on the track. Downshifts don't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of speed (downshifts must be done before corner entrance, but besides that it's whatever) and I'd rather avoid fragging my gearbox when I screw it up.

On upshifts, you are pinned, you back out of the throttle slightly, and essentially simultaneously click it up a gear while going back to full throttle. When done right, you reduce power for a fraction of a second and then are back to full throttle. I disagree with Phat in that it's difficult to do it though. If you've got a small amount of pressure on the lever, you will feel it when you roll out of the throttle as the bike essentially jumps directly into gear. There's almost no effort involved in shifting a motorcycle transmission if the transmission is unloaded, and as a result it gets really easy to shift clutchless because it'll essentially fall into gear.

If you're downshifting, you blip the throttle and drop it down a gear in the middle of that blip. Downshifting clutchless is more difficult that clutchless upshifting, and far more likely to cause damage to the gearbox when you're learning to do it as a result. I don't like it on my SV because of the sudden change in engine braking that comes from the change in RPM, and instead I'll blip and my left hand rides the clutch to prevent it from getting too far out of line.

I fragged a gearbox learning to clutchless shift when I was a noob. I knew it was gonna happen, and abused it mercilessly, to the point that the bike wouldn't shift up from 3rd or 4th gear at over 12k RPM (14k redline). I had probably fragged the shift drum and forks learning to clutchless shift, but I never destroyed a gear.

Phat_Albert posted:

Just use the drat clutch, is it that difficult, are you really setting lap records on the streets?

The clutch is there for a reason, and every time you dont perfectly clutchlessly shift, you're beating up the engagement dogs, and putting undue strain on the poo poo linkage.

Its not that tough to use the clutch

The poo poo linkage and the poo pooshift forks/drum.

quote:

Either way, the ideal way to shift is with the gearbox completely unloaded, which, coincidentally, is what the clutch does. AMAZING!!!

On the street, I highly recommend full clutching your downshifts, like Phat recommends. On the track, because I don't full clutch because the engine braking and slowing is part of what lets me modulate corner speed. The clutch is a really, really useful tool just about everywhere on a track (and the street), it's just a matter of getting comfortable with using it. It can eliminate drive line lash getting on the throttle, help you save it when you've missed a shift/are lugging the engine, manage engine braking/backing it in, as well as a bunch of other handy stuff.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 10, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I disagree with Phat in that it's difficult to do it though.

Its not difficult to do really, its difficult to get timed just perfectly so there is no load on the transmission. Clutching greatly increases the time that the engine is unloaded, obviously.

On the track and strip its fine and saves fractions of a second, which matters, but guys being all "yeah i dont use the clutch at all" when talking about street riding just irks me. Its pointless.

Z3n posted:

The poo poo linkage and the poo pooshift forks/drum.

I know what I said :coolburt:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honda hasn't released its full line yet but America's getting the Dullville. 650-class V-twin, shaft drive, and integrated hardcases? If I didn't already have a Strom I'd be very interested.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it really called the DullVille?

This looks like it is to the ST1300 like the GL500 was to the big Goldwing.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
It's nicknamed the Dullsville in the UK because it's supposedly incredibly dull to ride. Favoured by people who commute huge distances and only care about reliability and comfort, not fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Its not difficult to do really, its difficult to get timed just perfectly so there is no load on the transmission. Clutching greatly increases the time that the engine is unloaded, obviously.

On the track and strip its fine and saves fractions of a second, which matters, but guys being all "yeah i dont use the clutch at all" when talking about street riding just irks me. Its pointless.

I know what I said :coolburt:

I don't know exactly how critical the timing is, honestly. For example, if you clutch full in and RPMs fall a significant amount, and then you shift, it'll usually be difficult to shift/clunk into gear. Whereas even if you both a clutchless shift slightly, usually it doesn't clunk/slam that bad. :iiam:

That NT700 just looks kinda boring, like the SV's dull, drab older cousin.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

the SV's dull, drab older cousin.

Like I said, I already have a V-Strom :haw:

But really, if it really is boring as heck to ride, I have to question their logic. I've already read that it's supposed to be filling the less-threatening midsize tourer niche that the elimination of the VFR800 is leaving, but it doesn't really seem to be a good replacement if that's the case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Like I said, I already have a V-Strom :haw:

But really, if it really is boring as heck to ride, I have to question their logic. I've already read that it's supposed to be filling the less-threatening midsize tourer niche that the elimination of the VFR800 is leaving, but it doesn't really seem to be a good replacement if that's the case.

The V-strom is actually functional though. And while it's oddball, it's not boring. The V-strom is like that weird kid down the street who's always covered in dirt from going somewhere, the NT700 is like the old man who walks up and down the block.

And the VFR was actually a proper sport touring bike. This just looks like a sort of ho-hum commuter.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

The V-strom is actually functional though. And while it's oddball, it's not boring. The V-strom is like that weird kid down the street who's always covered in dirt from going somewhere, the NT700 is like the old man who walks up and down the block.

And the VFR was actually a proper sport touring bike. This just looks like a sort of ho-hum commuter.

It sounds like the Pacific Coast.

edit: bwahahaha lookit this fukken commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6MkkdxjDro

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 10, 2009

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phat_Albert posted:

Is it really called the DullVille?

This looks like it is to the ST1300 like the GL500 was to the big Goldwing.

its called a deauville in europe, known as dullvilles to most people as they're such an efficient bland motorcycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

It sounds like the Pacific Coast.

edit: bwahahaha lookit this fukken commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6MkkdxjDro

Goddamn, that is a horrible commercial.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I like your moves Yamaha.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/09/10/2010-yamaha-yz450f-turns-cylinder-around-air-travels-straight-through/

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

cmorrow001 posted:

Awesome. I have an 07 (same bike) so feel free to contact me with any questions or sites. My email is my username at gmail.

Also check out
https://www.thespeedtriple.com (by far the best)
https://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/
Cool, it passed inspection today, so I'm going forward with the purchase. I just ordered the belly pan and flyscreen, too.

What do you typically get for gas mileage?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
To be fair the problem I had with the Aprilia were Brembo brake problems, and most I believe it was the PO not having tightened a bleeder screw located at the MC.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I feel so dumb now, that has never occured to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Battery-less EFI is cool to me. How does it know how much fuel to pump when you kick it over?? Japanese VooDoo!!