Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Almost done season 1 of Dead Like Me. Assholes at netflix thought it was a good idea to make the entire first season capable of being streamed, except for the last 2 episodes. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I just got caught up with True Blood. I had originally watched the first six episodes of season one around two months ago, thought it was a lovely show, and I quit watching it.

But then the romance took the back burner and poo poo started gettin' real. Season two has been amazing and I can't wait to see how they deal with Maryann in the finale.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

And episode one of season two. :argh: Netflix. If you say you have the season available for streaming, have every episode. Not whatever ones you want.

Icen
Jun 1, 2007

Who is Josh Groban?! KILL YOURSELF!
I just started watching United States of Tara. I didn't watch it or think about watching it when it first came out, but someone said it was good and I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty good. Its about a mother that has DID(dissociative identity disorder) or multiple personalities. So far, its been pretty funny and good, but I'm only through 4 episodes. Looked for a thread in here and didn't find one though.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Just started on House. I've caught the odd episode here and there and thought of it as a decent but standard medical procedural, but watching it in order I'm realizing it's actually quite a great little character drama.

I'll probably be blitzing through this pretty quickly.

If you get to season 5, I would keep an open mind about the possibility of skipping all but the first four and last four episodes of the season. Or at the very least fast forwarding through any scene with two certain individuals of opposite gender alone together, or another two individuals, one of whom is quite small. I feel confident you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. I'd say even the first four episodes are optional, but the last four are a must. They totally make up for all the ugggggggghhh.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Trophy Boner posted:

If you get to season 5, I would keep an open mind about the possibility of skipping all but the first four and last four episodes of the season. Or at the very least fast forwarding through any scene with two certain individuals of opposite gender alone together, or another two individuals, one of whom is quite small. I feel confident you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. I'd say even the first four episodes are optional, but the last four are a must. They totally make up for all the ugggggggghhh.

There is nothing wrong with season 5 :colbert:

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
Just demolished my way through Entourage S1-5 as well as whatever HBO on Demand offered me for Season 6. I think it's fair to say after a few episodes into season one I became officially hooked.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Icen posted:

I just started watching United States of Tara. I didn't watch it or think about watching it when it first came out, but someone said it was good and I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty good. Its about a mother that has DID(dissociative identity disorder) or multiple personalities. So far, its been pretty funny and good, but I'm only through 4 episodes. Looked for a thread in here and didn't find one though.

There was a thread when it was airing, so it's in archives now. I think it's a great show and I'm glad it got renewed for a second season.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

FateoMcSkippy posted:

And episode one of season two. :argh: Netflix. If you say you have the season available for streaming, have every episode. Not whatever ones you want.

I thought I'd give the new Doctor Who a whirl, so I added it to my instant queue. Over half the first season isn't available for streaming. For Dead Like Me though, the episodes should be up on Hulu.

Also, I think it's more the studio who decides these things, not Netflix.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

slowfoot posted:

There is nothing wrong with season 5 :colbert:

Well I guess if you're looking at it from the perspective of the last four episodes making up for the rest of the season turning into Grey's Anatomy Lite, With Special Guest Gregory House, then I guess I can almost kinda see your point. They made me want to see what's gonna happen in season 6 instead of vomit, at any rate.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jedi posted:

I thought I'd give the new Doctor Who a whirl, so I added it to my instant queue. Over half the first season isn't available for streaming. For Dead Like Me though, the episodes should be up on Hulu.

Also, I think it's more the studio who decides these things, not Netflix.

So the studio would tell them they could put up episodes 1, 3, 5-7, 9, and 11, but not the rest? That seems horribly retarded of them.

edit: Sigh, I had season 1 of Doctor Who on my instant queue too. I guess I'm never gonna see it. I stream to my xbox, so things like Hulu don't let me watch the shows on my couch.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 13, 2009

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

FateoMcSkippy posted:

So the studio would tell them they could put up episodes 1, 3, 5-7, 9, and 11, but not the rest? That seems horribly retarded of them.

edit: Sigh, I had season 1 of Doctor Who on my instant queue too. I guess I'm never gonna see it. I stream to my xbox, so things like Hulu don't let me watch the shows on my couch.

Well, think about it this way - in whose best interest is it to hold back episodes? Netflix has nothing to gain, but the studio who sells the DVD's may very much want not to have every episode available for free. I agree it's completely retarded.

And I'm in the same boat as you with Netflix on the XBox.

As for my own binge - Jeremiah. It was a post-apocalyptic show with Luke Perry and Malcom Jamal Warner. Considering the cast, it's surprisingly good. I'm almost through the first season and while I hear the second season isn't nearly as good, I'm optimistic.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Trophy Boner posted:

Well I guess if you're looking at it from the perspective of the last four episodes making up for the rest of the season turning into Grey's Anatomy Lite, With Special Guest Gregory House, then I guess I can almost kinda see your point. They made me want to see what's gonna happen in season 6 instead of vomit, at any rate.

If you're going to dismiss season 5 as Grey's Anatomy lite, then you could probably conclude the same about season 4, and season 3 too. Also, season 2. House has pretty much always dealt with the characters' relationships. There isn't enough difference between seasons to recommend skipping one.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Does anyone have any recommendations of TV series available on Netflix Watch Instantly? I've worked my way through Dexter, Lost, Brotherhood, and just recently stumbled on The State Within. Are there any gems hidden in there with 10,000 seasons of SVU/CSI/Murder She Wrote worth catching?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Ratatozsk posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of TV series available on Netflix Watch Instantly? I've worked my way through Dexter, Lost, Brotherhood, and just recently stumbled on The State Within. Are there any gems hidden in there with 10,000 seasons of SVU/CSI/Murder She Wrote worth catching?

SVU is pretty good. There's some continuity between episodes but it's still basically Law & Order: RAPE RAPE RAPE. I enjoy it, but I couldn't imagine actually giving it my full attention - I leave it on as background noise while web browsing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

slowfoot posted:

If you're going to dismiss season 5 as Grey's Anatomy lite, then you could probably conclude the same about season 4, and season 3 too. Also, season 2. House has pretty much always dealt with the characters' relationships. There isn't enough difference between seasons to recommend skipping one.

House has pretty much always dealt with the characters' relationships... with House. The characters on House are not interesting in any way other than in the context of relating to and having to deal with House. I'd say Wilson and Cuddy are my favorite characters next to House, but even then they're only likable because of the way they interact with House. If House suddenly disappeared from the show, there's no way the other characters as they are now could sustain it. House. House House House. House House? House, House.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

I recommend Spooks (or MI-5 everywhere but the UK). The first 4 seasons are available for streaming, while 5 and 6 are not yet. The series starts off excellent, but does start to trail off in later seasons. It starts as a spy show, and morphs into sort of 24-Lite by season 5. I don't mind, but some people didn't like that.

edit: How is The State Within? I've had in in my queue but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The State Within is pretty good, it's nice to see Jason Isaacs not being typecast as a bad guy, but rather the hero. Good production values, and it's weird seeing the mom from Burn Notice being a tough Secretary of Defense.

I tried to watch 3 episodes of Spooks and it bored the hell out of me. I went on sort of a British mini series binge a while back and I decided that I really like the State Within, State of Play, and Wallander.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Frisky Dingo. It's so sad this show was canceled, mostly I hear because the production company went out of business between seasons.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The State Within is pretty good, it's nice to see Jason Isaacs not being typecast as a bad guy, but rather the hero. Good production values, and it's weird seeing the mom from Burn Notice being a tough Secretary of Defense.

I tried to watch 3 episodes of Spooks and it bored the hell out of me. I went on sort of a British mini series binge a while back and I decided that I really like the State Within, State of Play, and Wallander.

I haven't seen the first season in a while but I think it did start off a little slow. It does pick up though. State if Play is amazing as well. Was the American movie any good? I can't see how they could condense down a 6 hour miniseries without having it lose important bits.

edit: I remember the first few episodes of spooks were basically a bunch of boring poo poo about Tom's life with the family he's lying too, but I think they have those people gently caress off quickly.

edit2: Yeah the girlfriend is only in the first 7 episodes.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 13, 2009

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I haven't seen the first season in a while but I think it did start off a little slow. It does pick up though. State if Play is amazing as well. Was the American movie any good? I can't see how they could condense down a 6 hour miniseries without having it lose important bits.

I personally haven't seen it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't too well received.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Russel Crowe and Rachel McAdams are really good. I also like how the movie deals with the blogs/internet vs print news. It takes place today so the newspaper is in deep poo poo and losing a lot of money. Ben Affleck nearly ruins the movie with his lovely acting and the ending is wrapped up too quickly. I still liked it overall. The mini series ending kind of blows too.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

slowfoot posted:

I was the person that the OP was responding to by suggesting I skip certain areas of House for being too Grey's-ish, and I can assure you that I very much enjoyed Grey's until it became a shell of itself. Now I still enjoy it because it's so bad, but that's another thread.

Really, House has some facial similarities to Grey's already, and I'm only through like the first two-thirds of the first season of House. They both have the same basic structure (major medical story of the week, blowoff story of the week, interpersonal characters arcs comingled). There's a lot of walk-and-talk and snappy dialogue. Cameron and Izzie are basically the same character except Cameron is written about nine million times better. Chase and Karev are nearly exactly the same character too.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Forget that I said it was Grey's Anatomy Lite. That's not why I suggested to skip them. The parts I'm talking about were just plain dull and uninteresting at best. I didn't even think the medical mysteries were all that great in those episodes, partly because they (along with House) seemed to take a back seat. At any rate, I only said to keep an open mind about skipping those episodes.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
My undying love for Christopher Gorham has led me to start watching "Popular" with my roommates. I'd never heard of it, guess it came out in '99, high school drama and such, standard fare. But my GOD the main characters are all SO ANNOYING. Except Chris Gorham, I love him. But jesus christ I want to punch Sam in the face like every episode, she flip flops constantly and is a bitch and is really insufferable. My roommate who's seen it before promises she gets better, but I'm skeptical. Other than Sam, though, it's surprisingly amusing and I'm enjoying it!

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Leverage is pretty good, although there's only about 1.5 seasons of it. Basically, it's about a group of thieves who go around conning bad guys to help the people they ripped off. If you like caper films like The Sting or Ocean's 11, then you'd probably enjoy Leverage.

It's also pretty cool that new episodes usually show up on Netflix watch instantly 2~3 days after airing.

There's also Coupling, a sort of British version of Friends, except that it's much more focused on sexual relationships. While that seems like damning with faint praise, it's actually pretty funny, and is slightly more honest, at least by sitcom standards. You've gotta love a show that has a guy dumped by his girlfriend, and his friends try to cheer him up by taking him to the nearest titty bar and getting him shitfaced.

The first 3 seasons are great, the 4th season is OK, but suffers from a severe lack of Jeff. Oliver just isn't the same thing.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 13, 2009

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

thrakkorzog posted:

Leverage is pretty good, although there's only about 1.5 seasons of it. Basically, it's about a group of thieves who go around conning bad guys to help the people they ripped off. If you like caper films like The Sting or Ocean's 11, then you'd probably enjoy Leverage.

In the same vein - try Hu$tle - although you'll actually have to get the discs for that since it doesn't appear to be available on "Watch Instantly".

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hustle is totally worth it though. One of my favorites.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Hustle is totally worth it though. One of my favorites.

It also has English skanky vampire titty bitch from Dexter

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Just finished Six Feet Under after a huge weekend binge. That finale...wow...just wow usually montages with huge time jumps are cheesy as hell but I loved the last few minutes of the finale. Honestly though, I didn't really care for anything after the second season finale until the last 4 episodes. Most of those ep's just seemed like filler until the last few, which were some of the most brilliant TV I've ever seen.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 14, 2009

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

My husband has been watching "Wire in the Blood" through Netflix instant watch all weekend. The episodes I've seen (only some of the 1st and 2nd season since I cannot lay around all weekend in front of the T.V.) have been pretty good so far- he says the later have been better.

/edited for misspelling...

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

I just started Jekyll and dear lord is it amazing. Oddly enough though, Netflix Watch Instantly says episodes 7 & 8 are only available on disc. However, according to everything I've read there's only 6 episodes. So what's up?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Leviathan posted:

Just finished Six Feet Under after a huge weekend binge. That finale...wow...just wow usually montages with huge time jumps are cheesy as hell but I loved the last few minutes of the finale. Honestly though, I didn't really care for anything after the second season finale until the last 4 episodes. Most of those ep's just seemed like filler until the last few, which were some of the most brilliant TV I've ever seen.

That's pretty surprising to me. The episode where David is kidnapped and forced to do drugs and the episodes that deal with that fall out were so heart-wrenching to me. Agreed that the Series Finale was just amazing.

Edit: For content, I made my third attempt at enjoying The Wire, and this time it finally clicked. I think the introduction of Omar in season 1 was the turning point for me. Really glad I kept at it this time. I'm half way through Season 2 now, and it's just great.

I really hate Ziggy.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

canyonero posted:

I really hate Ziggy.

Once again, we're gonna say stick with it. Yeah, at first (and second and third) glance he's an incredibly annoying character, however, he's also an important one. Try to concentrate more on what the character represents, and less on his characterization.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been watching the first season of The Office (US), and I'm kinda confused as to why so many people didn't like it at the beginning. I've never seen the UK version (though, I might once it starts airing on Adult Swim), but the show seems to be much funnier than some of the later episodes that I've seen. Maybe it's just that I really like lots of horrible characters doing horrible things to each other. I mean, I like AD, Newsradio, and 30 Rock, not to mention Always Sunny. That may just be my "thing".

mockingbee
May 7, 2003

Me + family have been going through the new Dr Who series. I'm not big on scifi so for me it's not exactly compelling television, but at least it's entertaining and the kids like it.

Tingles posted:

My husband has been watching "Wire in the Blood" through Netflix instant watch all weekend. The episodes I've seen (only some of the 1st and 2nd season since I cannot lay around all weekend in front of the T.V.) have been pretty good so far- he says the later have been better.

I didn't know Wire in the Blood is on there... the ones I managed to catch on BBC America were very enjoyable, will have to go through those myself.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Jedi posted:

I just started Jekyll and dear lord is it amazing. Oddly enough though, Netflix Watch Instantly says episodes 7 & 8 are only available on disc. However, according to everything I've read there's only 6 episodes. So what's up?

There's only six episodes of the show, so there's also only six episodes on the disks (despite a what could be considered a cliffhanger on the last episode). And considering in the last episode Mr. Hyde dies saving 'his' family and every mystery is quite cleared up, it's probably going to remain a typo.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

JustV posted:

There's only six episodes of the show, so there's also only six episodes on the disks (despite a what could be considered a cliffhanger on the last episode). And considering in the last episode Mr. Hyde dies saving 'his' family and every mystery is quite cleared up, it's probably going to remain a typo.

Episodes 7 and 8 are just the featurettes on the last disk I believe.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

canyonero posted:

That's pretty surprising to me. The episode where David is kidnapped and forced to do drugs and the episodes that deal with that fall out were so heart-wrenching to me. Agreed that the Series Finale was just amazing.

Edit: For content, I made my third attempt at enjoying The Wire, and this time it finally clicked. I think the introduction of Omar in season 1 was the turning point for me. Really glad I kept at it this time. I'm half way through Season 2 now, and it's just great.

I really hate Ziggy.

David's mugging was an ok plot arc in my book, but I just get the feeling they could've gone in a more interesting direction with his character. Also, I grew weary of the contrived "everyone must be gay" story lines in later seasons.

Take your time with the Wire, I kinda regret binging through it so quickly cause it really is a shitload better than 99.9% of TV out there. Season 2 also gets better and better until it concludes.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV you must reside in some kind of opposite-comedy land where AD and the office aren't funnny

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Yoshifan823 posted:

I've been watching the first season of The Office (US), and I'm kinda confused as to why so many people didn't like it at the beginning.

The reason that most people didn't like it is because it's a clone of the British version's first season. So everything you're watching - the Brit version did better.

It's actually the reason I can't stand the US office. After watching the first season, I can't get into any of the others because the two British seasons were just so good.

I know, later on, they do their own stuff, but it's already been ruined for me.