Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Yoshifan823 posted:

Alright, I've got all of his Velvet Underground stuff, what do I do after if I want some more Lou Reed?

edit: And, while I'm in the mood, how about where to start for The Rolling Stones? Just a Greatest Hits thing, or do I need any particular album?

edit2: I've been really deprived. I'm gonna add David Bowie, Pet Shop Boys and New Order to my list of poo poo I need to listen to.

For Lou Reed I would go with Transformer. For the Rolling Stones, I'm not much of a fan, but I would try a greatest hits just because of the sheer volume of good albums they had.

David Bowie is a tough one though. I got in to him with a combination of Ziggy Stardust and Scary Monsters even though my favorite album is Low. But thinking about it now, I would pick up Hunky Dory first; it is more folkish but really shows Bowie in his prime.

New Order's Substance is a very huge album, but is worth picking up. The Pet Shop Boys, however, I have almost no clue about.

Hope this wall of text helped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

Alright, I've got all of his Velvet Underground stuff, what do I do after if I want some more Lou Reed?

edit: And, while I'm in the mood, how about where to start for The Rolling Stones? Just a Greatest Hits thing, or do I need any particular album?

edit2: I've been really deprived. I'm gonna add David Bowie, Pet Shop Boys and New Order to my list of poo poo I need to listen to.

I'm not by any means a Lou Reed expert, but you probably can't go wrong with checking out Transformer. I suppose if you want to employ that smug emoticon, you could go dive into Metal Machine Music and post about how genius it is.

For me, The Stones were at their prime in that era from '68 - '73 where albums like Let it Bleed, Beggar's Banquet and Goats Head Soup were recorded. There are a few choice singles that dropped after that, but I've pretty much ignored them after 1981 and Tattoo You. If you're looking for individual records, then the albums from the aforementioned era might satisfy your curiosity. However, with a band like the Stones who have such an expansive discography I'm pretty comfortable with just suggesting a greatest hits thing. The Hot Rocks double disc is an excellent compilation and might possibly be everything you would ever want from the band.

For the Pet Shop Boys and New Order (both I think have been mentioned here), their individual Greatest Hits collections are an excellent starting point, and again are probably all you need. As mentioned multiple times in this thread, Substance for New Order is a great place to start and Discography: The Complete Singles Collection for the Pet Shop Boys are rammed up with some of the strongest synth-pop ever created. If you're looking for singular LP's, then seek out Power, Corruption, & Lies, Brotherhood, and Technique for New Order (for starters). As for the Pet Shop Boys, my favorites were Actually and Behaviour.

David Bowie is another artist with such a plethora of albums, with a lot of different "phases", that it's hard to pin point the one "must hear" staring place. The recent double disc Greatest Hits thing is an excellent starting point. However, I've found that pretty much everything he did up to and including Let's Dance is definitely worth hearing. As for LP's, Jump into his glam phase with the rather popular Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, and be sure to try out his "thin white duke" period brought to life by the berlin records (Low, "Heroes, and Lodger). Those latter LP's are great for the full on BOWIE DOING COKE! phase

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 12, 2009

redphoenix11
May 9, 2007

Actually the Berlin trilogy was when Bowie partially cleaned up. Station to Station (which is a great album) was when he was The Thin White Duke and coked out of his mind.

The Berlin trilogy is just weird because he was also hanging out with Brian Eno, Iggy Pop, Robert Fripp, and Adrian Belew.

I'd say get Scary Monsters before diving into Station to Station and the Berlin trilogy because while it's more of a new wave record (and dated production-wise) it is a pretty good summation and application of what Bowie learned on those albums.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

redphoenix11 posted:

Actually the Berlin trilogy was when Bowie partially cleaned up. Station to Station (which is a great album) was when he was The Thin White Duke and coked out of his mind.

The Berlin trilogy is just weird because he was also hanging out with Brian Eno, Iggy Pop, Robert Fripp, and Adrian Belew.

I'd say get Scary Monsters before diving into Station to Station and the Berlin trilogy because while it's more of a new wave record (and dated production-wise) it is a pretty good summation and application of what Bowie learned on those albums.

I always thought he recorded the trilogy while he was coked out of his mind, but I think you're right. Station to Station is the album he doesn't remember?

redphoenix11
May 9, 2007

Yeah, Station to Station was the one he didn't remember. Then him and Iggy Pop went to Berlin to clean up.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'd start with Transformer, Berlin and New York, although they're all quite different. Transformer is a glammy androgynous album, Berlin is sort of a depressing(in a good way) song cycle, and New York is Lou getting really, really pissed off at the Republican Eighties.

The most Velvets of his solo stuff is The Blue Mask, IMHO, and Rock-n-Roll Animal is one of few truly great live albums of the era.

PS: Metal Machine Music works better as an instrument of torture than an actual musical creation

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Where do I start with Jay-Z, because god drat does he have a poo poo ton of albums.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

-Atom- posted:

Where do I start with Jay-Z, because god drat does he have a poo poo ton of albums.

Reasonable Doubt & The Blueprint. How is this not obvious? Those two are huge classics and everything else is just flavour.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

HAI posted:

Reasonable Doubt & The Blueprint. How is this not obvious? Those two are huge classics and everything else is just flavour.

It would be obvious if you listened to Jay Z and were familiar with his work, which this guy clearly isn't.

Parroting what you said though, Reasonable Doubt and the Blueprint.

Mock the Cross
Sep 4, 2009
Where do I start with The Cranberries?

I like dark and heavy music and I think Zombie is a great song, but listening to other songs from their catalogue much at random haven't helped me find much else like it.

Do they have other material like that or was it just a coincidal overlap of musical tastes?

redphoenix11
May 9, 2007

"Zombie" was kind of a one-off in their catalogue.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

HAI posted:

Like the other poster said I'm not familiar with Jay-Z outside of his singles so I'm completely in the dark.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

JnnyThndrs posted:

PS: Metal Machine Music works better as an instrument of torture than an actual musical creation

Coincidentally, Metal Music Machine is rather good. :eng101:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Where to start with Billy Bragg? I heard his collaboration work with Wilco and liked it.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
I'm going to see The Fall of Troy and Thursday at the end of the month and for some reason FoT is opening for Thursday. I've tried and tried, but I cannot get in to Thursday. The vocals just sound off and grate my ears. Is their somewhere specific I can start so I don't just walk out of the venue when they play?

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Good to place to start with Dinosaur Jnr anyone?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Rhg0061r posted:

Good to place to start with Dinosaur Jnr anyone?

I got into them through Beyond. Most people won't say that it's their best album or anything (You're Living All Over Me seems to be popular consensus) but Beyond is much more accessible to most people's ears and will lead you into wanting to hear their other albums. My progression went something like Beyond -> YLAOM -> Farm -> Bug -> the rest.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Echo & The Bunnymen? Going to see them in November!

redphoenix11
May 9, 2007

Ocean Rain is probably their best and has "The Killing Moon", which is their most well-known song. From there check out Crocodiles, Heaven Up Here, and Porcupine. They're the first three albums and show the band's progression from raw post-punk to something more psychedelic and elaborate.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I'm really fond of 65daysofstatic, and looking for music similar. Any suggestions?

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Uncle Meat posted:

I'm really fond of 65daysofstatic, and looking for music similar. Any suggestions?

Maybeshewill, and God Is An Astronaut for starters.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Rhg0061r posted:

Maybeshewill, and God Is An Astronaut for starters.

God is an Astronaut is slightly too post-rockish compared to what I'm looking for (at least what I've listened to). Misunderstand me correctly, they're a great band, just quite not what I'm after this time around.

I'll check out Maybeshewill though. :)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

-Atom- posted:

I listened through this album twice now and I find myself putting Spritz!!! Spritz!!! on repeat.

Thanks a ton.

I actually think "Menos El Oso" is a lot better, but hey, sounds like you're gonna check it out anyway :) .

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

I'm going to see The Fall of Troy and Thursday at the end of the month and for some reason FoT is opening for Thursday. I've tried and tried, but I cannot get in to Thursday. The vocals just sound off and grate my ears. Is their somewhere specific I can start so I don't just walk out of the venue when they play?

A lot of people would say Full Collapse or War All the Time. Just be sure not to get A City by the Light Divided as your first record - I simply cannot get into that record at all. The production just sounds "off".

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Attempted bump. I recently picked up a copy of Steve Reich's Music For 18 Musicians and i'm loving it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend something in a similar vein.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Attempted bump. I recently picked up a copy of Steve Reich's Music For 18 Musicians and i'm loving it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend something in a similar vein.

Just check out everything by Reich. Emphasis on 'Four Movements' and 'Music for a Large Ensemble' maybe. You might also like Terry Riley's 'In C' and some John Adams' works, 'Harmonium' for example.

If you really want to get into Steve Reich, then I'd recommend dishing out 70 bucks for the Works 1965-1995 boxset. It's brilliant.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Where's a good place to start with Brian Jonestown Massacre?

grainofsand
Feb 20, 2008

guppy posted:

Where to start with Billy Bragg? I heard his collaboration work with Wilco and liked it.

Worker's Playtime is possibly the most easily accessible of his discography.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Yoshifan823 posted:

There's a pretty standard "critical success" period for the stones that runs from the late 60s to early 70s that includes "Beggars Banquet," "Let it Bleed," "Sticky Fingers," and "Exile on Main St." Any of those are a pretty good start, though I personally prefer "Beggars Banquet." However, "Exile" is all over the place and is bound to have SOMETHING you like on it. If it's the more country-ish stuff, steer towards the "Beggars" end. The more woman-hatin' look-at-my-cock type stuff is more the "Sticky Fingers" end of things.

Also, "Their Satanic Majesties Request," is loving awesome (despite what some may say) and pretty much isolated in their catalog as far as sound goes, so don't overlook it, especially if you like psychedelia, though I wouldn't say it's a good "first."

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm trying to get into The Fall and I'm wondering what songs/albums are best to start with.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm trying to get into The Fall and I'm wondering what songs/albums are best to start with.

The "50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong" compilation is fantastic, as is their "A-Sides" compilation for more immediately accessible material. What's really hard about The Fall is how consistent they are at releasing (at worst) decent albums. From those two, just look what era/album the songs you like the most come from and check that out first.

As far as actual albums go, I'd recommend "Hex Enduction Hour" as the best from their more punk-y/experimental period. For the slightly later, Brix-era stuff, you'll pretty much unanimously hear "This Nation's Saving Grace" as a starting point.

So yeah, start with one of those two albums or one of those two compilations and you'll be off to a good start.

daysofstatic
Sep 10, 2005
smiling politely
I really enjoy Olafur Arnalds. What else will I dig? I already listen to Max Richter, Johann Johannson. Thanks.

daysofstatic fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 14, 2009

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm loving Venetian Snares' album Rossz csillag alatt született, what are some others of his I might enjoy? I guess I like the odd symphonic parts more than the crazy break beats bits, and it seems like most of his library is the break beats stuff. Didn't like the sex noises CD. Does he have any others similar to this?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Electromax posted:

I'm loving Venetian Snares' album Rossz csillag alatt született, what are some others of his I might enjoy? I guess I like the odd symphonic parts more than the crazy break beats bits, and it seems like most of his library is the break beats stuff. Didn't like the sex noises CD. Does he have any others similar to this?

My Downfall is the direct sequel and very stylistically similar.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

My Downfall is the direct sequel and very stylistically similar.

Ahh, I don't know how I missed that, thanks a lot.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Like the other poster said I'm not familiar with Jay-Z outside of his singles so I'm completely in the dark.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Then listen to The Black Album and pretend it was an amazing end to his career instead of a retirement album that'll end up 10 albums too early.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mock the Cross posted:

Where do I start with The Cranberries?

I like dark and heavy music and I think Zombie is a great song, but listening to other songs from their catalogue much at random haven't helped me find much else like it.

Do they have other material like that or was it just a coincidal overlap of musical tastes?

As it was said before, "Zombie" isn't very representative of the Cranberries. However as long as you don't only like "dark and heavy" music, their first two albums, "Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can't We?" and "No Need to Argue" are fantastic albums.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

DasNeonLicht posted:

Echo & The Bunnymen? Going to see them in November!

check out the compilation songs to learn and sing

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
Can someone tell me which album is best to start with for Sufjan Stevens? I've heard a lot from the Illinois album, wondering where to go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

What's a good launching point for Sigur Ros? I know that they only have five LPs, but is there a clear winner or any to stay clear from?