Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

When I go back and watch WCW I notice how loving tight the ropes are when compared to the WWE/F. What is the reason for this?

Fake edit: The one wrestling school I went to was run by Jimmy Valiant and the ropes there were tight as gently caress too. But I got no explanation about it.

WCW used cables, WWF/E uses actual rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is that the double pin match?

Yes, a double pin that led to a rematch either on WCW Saturday Night or Slamboree, probably both.

Over-Sold
May 22, 2007

Under-Brained
I've got a few questions I've sort of been saving up for a while due to constantly forgetting to post them.

1) What is Sting's problem with WWE? Is it just that he hates Vince? If he does hate Vince, why? Was he a WCW insider mark who hates WWE for besting WCW? If Vince were to die tomorrow, do you think he might sign with WWE?

2) I keep seeing people say that Austin beat Debra, but the only thing I ever heard about this was that they were driving somewhere together and, during a huge fight, he pulled over to the side of the road and yelled at her to get out/pushed her a bit. I'm not saying putting your hands on someone, especially your wife, is excusable, but that's far from a beating. So, my question is, what really happened? Also, I heard that Rock was charged with assaulting his wife, is there any validity to this?

3) Years ago, like, a lot of them, I watched an I Quit match where the rules stated that whoever said "I quit" wasn't only quitting the match, but also his job. Then Foley and The Rock had their I Quit match and I can't remember if there was any sort of career stipulation related to the match, but then since Foley didn't really quit I suppose you could say it doesn't matter. The Hardy match is the only one I've seen since and they never once mentioned one of their jobs being on the line, and clearly, neither career was. So, I'm wondering if that first match I saw had an added stipulation, if Foley/Rock did have a career on the line that was just forgetten due to how the match went down, or if they've just decided to remove that aspect of an I Quit match in general, like how they changed Cage matches.

4) Has anyone ever mentioned what happened between 'Taker and his wife? Was it just a case of him being alone on the road too long and they grew apart? Did she/he cheat? I know he's with Michelle McCool now, is she a home-wrecker?

5) What's with the rumors of Lita enjoying getting pissed on? Is this an actual fetish of hers? Did she really gently caress wrestlers in exchange for wrestling training? Normally I'd just dismiss these as silly rumors, but this is the world of wrestling, so you never know...

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Over-Sold posted:

3) Years ago, like, a lot of them, I watched an I Quit match where the rules stated that whoever said "I quit" wasn't only quitting the match, but also his job. Then Foley and The Rock had their I Quit match and I can't remember if there was any sort of career stipulation related to the match, but then since Foley didn't really quit I suppose you could say it doesn't matter. The Hardy match is the only one I've seen since and they never once mentioned one of their jobs being on the line, and clearly, neither career was. So, I'm wondering if that first match I saw had an added stipulation, if Foley/Rock did have a career on the line that was just forgetten due to how the match went down, or if they've just decided to remove that aspect of an I Quit match in general, like how they changed Cage matches.

You're not alone in thinking "I Quit" matches were a Loser Leaves Town variant, I'd like to know the answer to this one, too.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Over-Sold posted:

1) What is Sting's problem with WWE? Is it just that he hates Vince? If he does hate Vince, why? Was he a WCW insider mark who hates WWE for besting WCW? If Vince were to die tomorrow, do you think he might sign with WWE?

Supposedly he thought that Vince and the WWE was too vulgar and that Vince is a douchebag.

Since Vince is a douchebag its not too unbelievable. If Vince died HHH and Steph would be in charge, HHH is a douchebag and Steph is a douchebagess so I don't think he would sign. He doesn't really need to hes doing fine.

quote:

2) I keep seeing people say that Austin beat Debra, but the only thing I ever heard about this was that they were driving somewhere together and, during a huge fight, he pulled over to the side of the road and yelled at her to get out/pushed her a bit. I'm not saying putting your hands on someone, especially your wife, is excusable, but that's far from a beating. So, my question is, what really happened? Also, I heard that Rock was charged with assaulting his wife, is there any validity to this?

Wikipedia but whatever:
On September 13, 2000, Austin married Debra Marshall.[53] On June 15, 2002, however, police were called to their residence in San Antonio, Texas.[38] They found a hysterical Debra with bruises.[54] Austin had left the house and was asked by police not to return. On August 14, 2002, Austin was arrested and charged with domestic abuse. He pled no contest on November 25, 2002 and was given a year's probation, a $1,000 fine and ordered to carry out eighty hours of community service.[55] Debra would later claim that Steve Austin was a steroid user and this incident was the result of roid rage.[56] Austin filed for divorce from Debra on July 22, 2002 and the divorce was finalized on February 5, 2003.[57]

I've never heard of anything about the Rock.

quote:

There are two seperate stipulations, I Quit and Loser Leaves Reality or whatever, sometimes they overlap and the run them as a single gimmick and sometimes they don't. Its not like there is an official list of wrestling stipulations that have to be followed or whatever. They can run them however they want.

quote:

4) Has anyone ever mentioned what happened between 'Taker and his wife? Was it just a case of him being alone on the road too long and they grew apart? Did she/he cheat? I know he's with Michelle McCool now, is she a home-wrecker?

I don't really know anything about this, its possible they just drifted apart or whatever. Taker doesn't tend to be a guy that there are a lot of rumors about.

quote:

5) What's with the rumors of Lita enjoying getting pissed on? Is this an actual fetish of hers? Did she really gently caress wrestlers in exchange for wrestling training? Normally I'd just dismiss these as silly rumors, but this is the world of wrestling, so you never know...

I think I mean, its rumors. Are any of them true, maybe, probably, maybe not. Who knows? Wrestling being what it is, I wouldn't be surprised by any of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sting was considering going to WWE when the takeover happened. He said what finally made his decision for him was when Booker T. debuted and The Rock asked who he was an treated him like a jobber.

He didn't need the money and didn't trust Vince not to blow it. Then Vince blew it big with Nash, Goldberg and DDP and there was really no chance.

They're on friendly terms, so he'll likely get a Hall of Fame nod and a DVD when he's done with TNA.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Sting was considering going to WWE when the takeover happened. He said what finally made his decision for him was when Booker T. debuted and The Rock asked who he was an treated him like a jobber.

He didn't need the money and didn't trust Vince not to blow it. Then Vince blew it big with Nash, Goldberg and DDP and there was really no chance.

They're on friendly terms, so he'll likely get a Hall of Fame nod and a DVD when he's done with TNA.

Sting should just sign a contract with a creative control clause.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Corzaa posted:

Sting should just sign a contract with a creative control clause.

Do the WWE still do those? I would have thought that they would have learned their lesson with hogan? Other than HHH (who has defacto creative control whether its in his contract or not) who currently has a creative control contract?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I always got the feeling as well that he was getting older and had a growing family. WCW was a good run for him, TNA's part-time schedule (when compared to WWE's annual one) keeps him busy and employed doing what he loves.

There is no animosity between Vince and Sting that I know of; they just never crossed paths and never thought much of it. It's just the way things went for both sides.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Just an out there question, but from TNA's roster and WWE's roster who do you guys think would be welcomed in with open arms and who would be booed out of the building if they went to join ROH? You can use any reason though to determine how ROH's fans would react.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

KungFu Grip posted:

Just an out there question, but from TNA's roster and WWE's roster who do you guys think would be welcomed in with open arms and who would be booed out of the building if they went to join ROH? You can use any reason though to determine how ROH's fans would react.

I imagine that anyone would get a positive reaction if it was a surprise appearance and if it wasn't any smark favorite would probably be pretty well accepted and HHH would be booed like a motherfucker loving a mother.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
hornswoggle would be smash

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I would love to see how ROH fans would react to the Undertaker. I imagine it would kill a great number of them as they conflicted between wanting to show disdain for the gimmick and being blown away by the quality of the wrestling.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jerusalem posted:

I would love to see how ROH fans would react to the Undertaker. I imagine it would kill a great number of them as they conflicted between wanting to show disdain for the gimmick and being blown away by the quality of the wrestling.

I like the Undertaker but is he really known tremendous quality of wrestling? I mean he brings it but other than occasional big matches with HBK or something its not like hes knocking 8 snowflakes out of the park all the time.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

KungFu Grip posted:

I am not sure how they reacted to Flair live, but on the board they were less than enthusiastic. I would say just about anyone who was seen as part of the big companies would be booed to some degree, but I don't think anyone would be booed out of the building. Let's face it, even those smug little cunts would mark for a Stone Cold Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan showing up out of nowhere and cutting a promo or doing a run-in.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

You're the WCW champion sucker? :confused:

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Didn't the ROH fans chant at Steamboat to gently caress off when he special reffed the Punk-Raven match? What a bunch of pricks. :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Judakel posted:

I am not sure how they reacted to Flair live, but on the board they were less than enthusiastic. I would say just about anyone who was seen as part of the big companies would be booed to some degree, but I don't think anyone would be booed out of the building. Let's face it, even those smug little cunts would mark for a Stone Cold Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan showing up out of nowhere and cutting a promo or doing a run-in.

Flair always got tremendous reactions at live ROH shows.

Cena, Batista and HHH would be booed out of the building.

HBK and Jericho would be loved.

Undertaker would probably get a great reaction.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CM Junk posted:

Didn't the ROH fans chant at Steamboat to gently caress off when he special reffed the Punk-Raven match? What a bunch of pricks. :(

This is why their company is failing. Karma.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MassRayPer posted:

Cena, Batista and HHH would be booed out of the building.

HBK and Jericho would be loved.

Undertaker would probably get a great reaction.

I think if HHH or Cena showed up completely unannounced they would probably get a good pop just for the holy poo poo factor.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

FishBulb posted:

I think if HHH or Cena showed up completely unannounced they would probably get a good pop just for the holy poo poo factor.

They get booed on their name drops. That place would go nuclear if they showed up.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

KungFu Grip posted:

They get booed on their name drops.

Yeah I still think they would pop if one them just walked through the curtain though.

I mean, I know this isn't what people would expect or whatever I'm just sayin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I like the Undertaker but is he really known tremendous quality of wrestling? I mean he brings it but other than occasional big matches with HBK or something its not like hes knocking 8 snowflakes out of the park all the time.

Taker has the absolutely tremendous level of timing/sense for the crowd that only a naturally gifted wrestler with a couple of decades worth of experience could ever really have. It's often overshadowed by his gimmick, but I would rate Taker as a tremendously high quality wrestler.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jerusalem posted:

Taker has the absolutely tremendous level of timing/sense for the crowd that only a naturally gifted wrestler with a couple of decades worth of experience could ever really have. It's often overshadowed by his gimmick, but I would rate Taker as a tremendously high quality wrestler.

Hes good at psychology and pacing a match but I don't know if his style would really wow ROH fans at a ring level. I mean, like I said, I like the guy but its pretty different style than they are used to.

They would still pop for him for crazy hough just because hes the loving Undertaker.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Supreme Allah posted:

You're the WCW champion sucker? :confused:
Who in the blue hell... are you?

In any case, even if it's not true, it's what Sting said.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FishBulb posted:

Hes good at psychology and pacing a match but I don't know if his style would really wow ROH fans at a ring level. I mean, like I said, I like the guy but its pretty different style than they are used to.

They would still pop for him for crazy hough just because hes the loving Undertaker.

HBK vs Undertaker from WM 25 had a lot in common with big move Japanese wrestling that many ROH workers have been influenced by. He'd do fine.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Speaking of the Undertaker, What was he like before he was the Undertaker?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BigRed0427 posted:

He was pretty much like the Undertaker without the gimmick. See if you can find any matches of 'Mean Mark Callous' I think that was his name right?

I only remember seeing him do a couple matches on WCW Saturday Night back in the day before he started in the WWF though.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

BigRed0427 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViNwvQAxeUc

His WCW debut. Note who introduces him.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Holy poo poo!

No wonder the Undertaker is Long's go to guy for punishing wrestlers.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

MassRayPer posted:

Same goes for Lance Storm and Bret Hart.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
Another Evolution question:
Where were Batista and Randy Orton on the card upon joining Evolution? More specifically, if you had to compare them to a current wwe wrestler, who is closest to their fame/prestige/respect/pop?

I know Batista was doing some nonsense as Deacon Bautista over on Smackdown and flipped over to Raw and got with Flair. Would he be like Ezekiel Jackson level? A big guy who you know can beat people up but not in any decent enough feuds for him to really show what he can do?

I have no idea where Randy Orton was at when he joined up.

I have never seen these guys as NOT main eventers so when I see anything about Evolution it just seems like an overwhelmingly powerful stable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PitifulLoser posted:

When Randy first showed up it was with a Blue Chipper gimmick (in other words, he had no character AT ALL but looked good) and they had these really insipid promos about how he'd wanted to be a wrestler all his life like his Dad and how he had all the elements needed to be a great wrestler (in other words, he wasn't a very good wrestler). He DID have a really good top rope missile dropkick for a finisher though, and would do this great bit where he would slowly stand up tall on the turnbuckle before jumping off.

But then after a few weeks of this, the promos suddenly took a sharp left turn and it went from,"Randy loves wrestling and has all the elements to be a great wrestler!" into,"Randy loves wrestling and has all the elements to be a great wrestler and he gets him some mad pussy, dawg," and the promos shifted into making him into this entitled prick who got everything handed to him on a silver platter.

When he injured his... shoulder I think.... he began interrupting matches/segments with "RNN Updates" where he would assure his "concerned fans" that he was rehabbing great and they could look forward to seeing him back on tv again soon.

I've been a pretty big Orton fan pretty much from the day the promo shifted to,"And he's a hit with the LAY-DEEZ!"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skinty McEdger posted:

Holy crap this is amazing.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

PitifulLoser posted:

Where were Batista and Randy Orton on the card upon joining Evolution? More specifically, if you had to compare them to a current wwe wrestler, who is closest to their fame/prestige/respect/pop?
Randy Orton at that time? Probably close to Cody Rhodes when he turned heel on Bobcore Holly.

quote:

I know Batista was doing some nonsense as Deacon Bautista over on Smackdown and flipped over to Raw and got with Flair. Would he be like Ezekiel Jackson level? A big guy who you know can beat people up but not in any decent enough feuds for him to really show what he can do?
Yeah, that's a perfect comparison.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

PitifulLoser posted:

I have never seen these guys as NOT main eventers so when I see anything about Evolution it just seems like an overwhelmingly powerful stable.

They were both in the lower midcard, but the WWE clearly wanted them to be headlining in the near future. Evolution was their grand plan to do this.

The stable was billed as being the past (Flair), present (HHH) and future (Orton and Batista) of wrestling. As you might guess, the plan was to have HHH in the main events on RAW with the other three involved in his activities and storylines. The result was to have some of HHH's success brush off onto the duo as WWE wanted Orton and Batista in the main event in the near future.

Then those two got injured at a house show in 2003 which put the plan on hold for a while. When they came back, it's like the WWE never bothered to re-instate the plan and the two wallowed in the upper midcard for a while. It wasn't until Orton's surprise WHC win and Batista's defection did the two finally get up there.

Honestly, it took YEARS for people to warm up to Orton because nobody was buying him for the longest time.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 13, 2009

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Honestly, it took YEARS for people to warm up to Orton because nobody was buying him for the longest time.

He only started getting good in 2005.

quote:

Both of them were nobodies that could be fired and no one would have cared.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I would say this was mostly orton's fault.

ninja edit: close the brackets stupid.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Skinty McEdger posted:

"Sid Vicious?! What do you do to a horse that's got a broken leg?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Over-Sold posted:

The crazy rumour is that she learnt wrestling by essentially being a prostitute to luchadores so that they would teach her, willing to go through with crazy fetishes. Rumours, however.

As somebody said some other time, el dandy will one day die, and all that we will know is who are we to doubt el dandy; and that he once pissed on Lita.

FishBulb posted:

He's being pretty drat great for the last few years.

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

The stable was billed as being the past (Flair), present (HHH), future (Orton) and big stupid muscle (Batista) of wrestling.

Fixed.