Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Salt Block Party posted:

I might regret this, but any tips for Legend of Mana? I really like the SNES Mana games but this seems so obnoxious to get into.

USE your secondary moves-often your specials require certain ones to be unlocked, and the only way to earn new ones is to use the ones you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chargrilled Face
Nov 4, 2008
Could anyone give me some tips for Star Ocean: The Last Hope and Tales of Vesperia on the 360. I just picked both of these up and don't know which to tackle first.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Chargrilled Face posted:

Could anyone give me some tips for Star Ocean: The Last Hope and Tales of Vesperia on the 360. I just picked both of these up and don't know which to tackle first.

Every boss fight on Tales has a secret Achievement attached to it. The first one is Protect Estelle

Some of these are very easy to figure out, particularly if there are other things you can target aside from enemies. Some you can only figure out by just hoping it happens.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Tales of Vesperia is by far the better of the two.

Some quick tips:

-You will more than likely never see everything there is to see the first time you play through unless you're OCD as gently caress and use a guide. Just enjoy the game the first time through, it's fun regardless.
-Regardless of who you fight you will almost certainly have Rita and Yuri in your party. They're the two best fighters around and with the right skills and artes you will gently caress anything up. The other two don't really matter but I like Karol as he can heal and fight and Repede as he's a crazy motherfucking smoking dog.
-Cooking might seem a bit arduous to begin with but if you stick with it you'll get the best recipe in the game and you'll wonder why you ever used gels outside of combat.
-If you've never played a Tales game before, then there's a system called Grade that ranks how well you did in fights. If you fight well (don't take too much damage, block when you do, use the enemies weaknesses against them etc.) you get more grade that will let you buy a bunch of cool things for a new game+
-Collecting all the fell arms will make things harder for you when you come to beat the game but it will probably be worth it.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
Any tips for Red Faction: Guerrilla? For one, should I upgrade my stuff as I go or is it better to save salvage for the best weapons?

Brinstar Brew fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 13, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Looking on the wiki there was some stuff for CS 1.6, but as someone who's never really played either mind giving me some tips for Counter Strike Source?

1. Play with a small crosshair - like cl_crosshairscale 2000+.
2. Turn off auto-weapon switch.
3. Bind keys to specific grenades instead of forcing yourself to toggle between the three different kinds - syntax is something like "bind q use weapon_hegrenade", etc.
4. Turn off mouse acceleration and "enhance pointer precision" - by default in Windows (although it's much, much worse in Mac OS X), there isn't a one-to-one correspondence between how far the cursor moves and how far you move the mouse, and that makes it much more difficult to make aiming "muscle memory."
5. Don't reload immediately every time you fire bullets, reload when it's safe.
6. Memorizing the buy menu poo poo is retarded, just make a few binds like "bind v 'buy vesthelm; buy defuser'" or bind g "buy smokegrenade"
7. Line up your crosshair where the head is going to be before going around the corner - listen for movement and remember where the hiding spots are.
8. If you are standing still and you shoot with the AK/M4/AWP the bullet will go exactly where the crosshair is for your first shot - the trick is being able to transition from "moving" to "standing still" as fast as possible and actually making the shot. Granted it's possible to control recoil when full-autoing, you just have to realize that the bullets are not going to go where your crosshair is after the second shot or so and you'll have to correct sharply downward. It's better to fire in bursts (2-3 shots) and be precise past 50 feet, but being able to mow people down is an underrated skill.
9. Don't use the mousewheel to switch between weapons, you will be switching to your knife a lot (for the increase in run speed and the ability to cancel awp scoping and reloads.)
10. rate 25000;cl_updaterate 100;cl_commandrate 100 so if you actually play on servers with higher tickrate you'll be useful.

Granted I would recommend just not playing this game and going with something more recent.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Brinstar Brew posted:

Any tips for Red Faction: Guerrilla? For one, should I upgrade my stuff as I go or is it better to save salvage for the best weapons?

I'm only about halfway through the game, but the arc welder is a very useful weapon, as are the starting explosives, so upgrades to those are always good, especially the ammo ones. You may want to wait till you get the Nano Forge (a couple hours in) before you buy the rocket launcher, though, since they fill a lot of the same roles. Get the salvage upgrades too. If you're constantly broke at first, like I was, keep on the lookout for groups of spiky black rocks. These are the ore deposits, and give you 12 salvage if you smash them. They usually come in groups of five or so, so look around if you find one.

Also, don't be afraid to turn the difficulty down to casual. I'm having a lot more fun with it since I did, and there's still enough risk of death to feel challenging.

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
Any tips for Tales of Symphonia?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Holy Cow posted:

Any tips for Tales of Symphonia?

Play the game once through for the story, or to get a general feel, and then farm GRADE until you can afford the EXP x 10 New Game+ feature, and then play it through again with a guide and do all of the extra stuff.

Then again, my first play through was 70 hours or so, so I can't imagine that many people would want to play it a second time straight afterwards.

Getting the most powerful weapons is fun, but you'll have to look at a guide to find out what they are/where you can get them, and learning all of the most powerful spells/attacks is fun, but again you need a guide. 10x EXP just makes all of that stuff much easier.

Edit: Whilst I'm here, is there anything I can do (Already part way in) to give myself a big advantage in Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria? I'm already over levelled (And I don't mind the negative impact that has on learning skills). I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can do that'll give me a boost.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 13, 2009

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Centipeed posted:

Edit: Whilst I'm here, is there anything I can do (Already part way in) to give myself a big advantage in Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria? I'm already over levelled (And I don't mind the negative impact that has on learning skills). I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can do that'll give me a boost.

You can still learn skills really easily anyhow, just throw your lower levelled dudes into the group with the people you want to learn skills, and repeat until everybody has the skills you want, since it uses your party's average level to determine how much to give you.

Also, you shouldn't really ever send dudes to Valhalla. You hardly get anything worthwhile at all from them in the real world, and you get much better rewards if you don't do it until the very end of the game.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Centipeed posted:

I haven't beaten it, but there are a few things I do know...
· Don't give stat-boosting items to Lezard or Dylan.
· The first time you visit Dipan is the only time you'll ever visit Dipan, so any items or side quests you want to do there have to be done then.

Zvahl posted:

Also, you shouldn't really ever send dudes to Valhalla. You hardly get anything worthwhile at all from them in the real world, and you get much better rewards if you don't do it until the very end of the game.
I initially misread that last post as Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, and I was going to point out how this couldn't be right. My bad!

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

quote:

I haven't beaten it, but there are a few things I do know...
· Don't give stat-boosting items to Lezard or Dylan.

Or Arngrim or Leone. Though if you feel like powerlevelling them to 40 before the end of chapter 3 you can get some swank gear that makes the rest of the game trivial.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Sentient Toaster posted:

Salt Block Party posted:

I might regret this, but any tips for Legend of Mana? I really like the SNES Mana games but this seems so obnoxious to get into.
I had to resort to using a guide to see all the sidestories. Same goes for special pets which become available based on mana levels in specific areas. Forging didn't make any sense to me even WITH a guide. Honestly, the whole drat thing is a guide dang it. So get reading if you're worried.
Alright gently caress that then. Can you get through the game having a somewhat enjoyable time without using gamefaqs?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Salt Block Party posted:

Alright gently caress that then. Can you get through the game having a somewhat enjoyable time without using gamefaqs?
You'll miss a gently caress of a lot, but I'm fairly sure it's possible. There may be a couple of missions where it's nowhere in the realm of obvious what to do next, but that's the only thing I can think of.

EDIT: Even though I used a guide for some parts, I put extremely little effort into forging and breeding and I was fine. It has New Game+ anyway, so it's no big deal.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 13, 2009

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

For Tales of Vesperia, all you need is this: http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10143410717.html . 99 percent spoiler free and shows you every single missable. I want this for every single RPG ever made.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Salt Block Party posted:

Can you get through the game having a somewhat enjoyable time without using gamefaqs?

There are 3 "main" quest lines, any of which will give you the final AF. You can do all of them in one game if you want; they're not exclusive, though you only get 1 Sword of Mana(final AF).

The "Gato" line requires backtracking to areas that otherwise have nothing to do with the rest of the story, so that might be a pain to figure out. Plus the main antagonist is named Irwin and that's just silly, though I think I like the story and the writing the best.

The "Geo/Jumi" line is so long, annoying, and counterintuitive that I think I've only ever done it twice, despite loving the hell out of the rest of the game. The last dungeon in that line is pure hatred, though you get access to a partner character who refills your tech meter when you get close. It's basically God-mode but even so I don't think it's worth it unless you plan on playing again in No Future (every enemy level 99) mode.

The "Underworld/Dragon" line is almost completely linear; you're given the next AF you need right before you go there, and it only involves areas given to you during that quest line. There are, however, 2 places where you might wanna get on GameFAQs. One's a quest where you have to gather ingredients in a certain combination and it's more annoying than difficult. And the final dungeon in that line is a huge maze so a map or guide would be pretty helpful.

Ultimately you don't need GameFAQs, I made it through just fine my first time, though I obviously didn't do every quest. Even in the worst of circumstances, you can do 95% of them so unless you're feeling particularly OCD you don't even have to care about Mana levels or AF placement and can just do whatever.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

What should I know before playing Parasite Eve 1 & 2?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Baram posted:

For 1, I don't remember if you can sell poo poo or not, but don't get rid of any weapons or armor with any useful skills on them, since you'll be over to shove them over onto better guns. In general, rifles tend to outshine every other weapon type, and usually elemental or AE stuff is useless or worse.

For 2, brush up on your annoying PS1-gen Survival Horror control scheme skills, it's surprisingly hard. I couldn't stomach it more than once, though, so not much more to say than that.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Anybody know anything about Dark Cloud 2? I just started playing this game after having it on the shelf for a few years and drat its hard! Does the game not let you open the little square menu until all the monsters are dead or something?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Salt Block Party posted:

Definitely. I probably went through it twice before messing around with guides. Just once it was fun to create a 999 power spear with the Gungnir plunge. Definitely, definitely screw around with golem crafting! I once made one that did nothing but dispense candy.

As for the secondary skills, you only need to have them equipped for a certain number of battles. Every advanced secondary skill and special attack requires you to have different secondary skills equipped for a particular number of battles. Like crouch + jump for high jump. The forward and backward movement skills get a couple improvements. Be sure to try pressing the heavy attack button during them for additional effects.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Any advice for System Shock 1? General advice is appreciated, as well as how not to flail all over the place and screw up in cyberspace specifically. I'm not looking for secret hidden weapons in the first room or anything, just approaches to the game that won't leave me frustrated and constantly dead.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Salt Block Party posted:

I had to resort to using a guide to see all the sidestories. Same goes for special pets which become available based on mana levels in specific areas. Forging didn't make any sense to me even WITH a guide. Honestly, the whole drat thing is a guide dang it. So get reading if you're worried.

quote:

Breeding, creating fruit, creating weapons, creating magic, and customizing golems aren't necessary at all to winning the game. Legend of Mana's difficulty curves towards the "piss easy" side of things so doing all that crap is just for people who like customizing stuff. I will say you should talk to your cactus guy after every quest. He writes down a recap of your adventure and while it's not super important it's basically a "this is what I did and I should probably follow up on it" reminder.

Legend of Mana is a pretty chill game IMO. If you're super OCD about missing stuff you'll be pissed off so just roll with it. It's impossible to not reach the end game but it is super likely you'll miss a few storylines.

quote:

For the first game, keep the item "junk". It'll bloat your inventory and it's super annoying to carry around but if you give 300 to Wayne he'll create a customized weapon that will be one of the better items during the main game.

I recommend not keeping armor that auto heals you or else your healing items will be sucked up like water to a sponge. Detox/medic, haste, slow, barrier, and preraise will become your main repertoire of spells. Ignore energy bullet, confuse, and gene heal. Attack spells are a waste of PE because you lose a turn using them, they usually don't do nearly as much damage as just shooting the enemy, and healing abilities will save you on bloating your inventory with healing items.

For the second game, refer to a FAQ if you want the best ending (and it's also the most rewarding ending). Like most Japanese multi-ending video games it requires you to do a laundry list of arbitrary and easily missed actions or else you gently caress yourself completely. One requires you to beat a boss in a certain time, another has you returning to an area you'd never think about visiting and the window of time they give you is small... it's really stupid.

Try to score high at the shooting range early game and you'll get some helpful items. Aya also keeps progressively better equipment in the trunk of her car. At the beginning of each chapter be sure to check her trunk for magically reappearing stuff.

The best spells in PE2 are metabolize, healing, lifedrain (really, really good because enemies love swarming you), and antibody. Like the first game, attack abilities are wholly useless because you can deal more damage over a fixed amount of time and energy will save you from having to horde healing items.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

SNOT CORN posted:

Anybody know anything about Dark Cloud 2? I just started playing this game after having it on the shelf for a few years and drat its hard! Does the game not let you open the little square menu until all the monsters are dead or something?

Assuming by little square menu, you mean the special inventory where you select the exit item, you just go talk to the exit and press square when prompted. Also, if you get any weapon up to plus5 or better, it is the best thing for synthing.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

al-azad posted:

For the second game, refer to a FAQ if you want the best ending (and it's also the most rewarding ending). Like most Japanese multi-ending video games it requires you to do a laundry list of arbitrary and easily missed actions or else you gently caress yourself completely. One requires you to beat a boss in a certain time, another has you returning to an area you'd never think about visiting and the window of time they give you is small... it's really stupid.

Yeah, as I recall the different endings aren't alternate ones like in Silent Hill or something. Instead the Good ending is just the Bad ending plus an extra cutscene and the Good+ or whatever ending is the Good ending with one more cutscene. So there's no point in not going for it right off the bat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm pretty early into STALKER (about to go to Dark Valley to kill whoever so maybe 30% into the game?) and I'm currently playing it under Oblivion Lost mod. I'm eying STALKER Complete 2009 mod and it looks gorgeous so I'm wondering if it's worth restarting the game with that mod instead?

My biggest concern with the Complete mod is the altered accuracy. It seems like every mod compilation is made from someone used to hitting a pin 500 yards away with a shotgun while sprinting in their FPS games and it pisses me off. I've noticed Oblivion Lost adds monsters in odd places (like an extra bloodsucker and controller in Agroprom Underground and I've noticed bloodsuckers spawning in early game areas) so if Complete is truly better than OL and the accuracy adjustments aren't too radical I might switch.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
I asked earlier, but is there anything i should know before playing The Movies?

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Picked up Resident Evil 5 today, was hoping some of you could give me some tips for combat, ammo management... anything really. This is my first Resident Evil game so I'm not really familiar with what is expected from the player.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

french lies posted:

Picked up Resident Evil 5 today, was hoping some of you could give me some tips for combat, ammo management... anything really. This is my first Resident Evil game so I'm not really familiar with what is expected from the player.

Go hogwild with shooting. The game pretty mcuh gives you ammo based on what you need. Although its harder to get ammo for the better weapons. If you are playing with AI, don't give Sheva any of your good stuff since she will waste alot of stuff.

Try to play online. What system do you have it for?

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Go hogwild with shooting. The game pretty mcuh gives you ammo based on what you need. Although its harder to get ammo for the better weapons. If you are playing with AI, don't give Sheva any of your good stuff since she will waste alot of stuff.

Try to play online. What system do you have it for?
PS3, not hooked up to the internet yet but hopefully I'll get a connection sorted out tomorrow. But, won't people get annoyed if I haven't played the game before and don't know what to do?

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

french lies posted:

The best way to play this game is with a friend.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

french lies posted:

PS3, not hooked up to the internet yet but hopefully I'll get a connection sorted out tomorrow. But, won't people get annoyed if I haven't played the game before and don't know what to do?

Im pretty sure a goon will help you out. I would but I have it on 360. I havent played online in a while because Im afraid that online is full of infinite ammo whores that really don't play for the challenge.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I just bought Wild ARMs XF on a whim at the the PSP online store. All I really know is that it's a SRPG and has a western-ish theme. Anything I should know before it finishes downloading?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

french lies posted:

Sheva's a pretty smart AI partner, but she likes to waste ammo and herbs if you give her the opportunity. Give her one healing spray, save a green herb to mix with a red, and don't give her the grenade launcher. If you stand next to your partner while you use an herb or spray, you both get healed. Almost every level has a free weapon on it, either hidden or sometimes in plain sight.

The boss of Chapter 5-2 is a real bitch to kill, but you can one shot him with the RPG easily. Just be sure to loot the room first.

2nding play it with a friend.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I'd like to request some tips for Europa Universalis: Rome.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Contingency Plan posted:

I'd like to request some tips for Europa Universalis: Rome.

Return it.

Otherwise, make sure the populists don't get control of the senate, do this by making sure that you don't appoint them to any major or minor office, once they get in control, it's almost impossible to get rid of them and they will destroy your empire. If you notice any of your generals loyalty starting to fall, remove them immediately or you're going to have a civil war on your hands every 5 years.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Baram posted:

All the Parasite Eve 1 stuff has been covered, but I have a couple additions and dissenting opinions about Parasite Eve 2:

Only use an FAQ if you absolutely don't want to play through it more than once, or if you aren't sure. You get a bonus to your starting points in subsequent playthroughs making it far easier if you just want to blaze through to get more endings. There are several places with secret items and stuff you can do multiple ways that I feel would cheapen a first run of PE2.

Don't buy spells/upgrades immediately, save the points and upgrade spells when you're out of MP after a battle, and heal fully (using the heal spell) first if possible. Whenever you get a new spell it raises and refills your MP. Doing this will really help stretch out healing items.

Also the area of effect attack spells are still good against certain enemies, or to clear out a room quickly if you can spare the MP/items in the late game.

And in my opinion Parasite Eve 2 holds up better than any PS1 survival horror game, except maybe the first Silent Hill.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 14, 2009

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I just got Castlevania:The Dracula x chronicles for the PSP, what should I know so I stop sucking so much?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

french lies posted:

The game tends to rush you through areas, but there's often no penalty for exploration once you've cleared out the enemies. This is also a good way of picking up treasure you missed during battle.

The game is really about inventory management. For that reason, you might want to invest in a lot of capacity upgrades for your weapons so that ammo takes up less space. Often times, we had a full 3/4 of our inventory devoted to weapons and ammo, sometimes more.

Try to save your special ammo (ie. anything except the handgun) especially the magnum for boss fights or special enemies.

There are three variations of each weapon in the game that you'll find at various points, plus some bonus weapons you can unlock by fully upgrading the original weapon of each type. But each is not necessarily better than the last. Some weapons are specifically designed to pierce armor, while others get more options while upgrading. Make things a little easier on yourself and check out the weapon profiles online somewhere, or else you could do what my friend and I did and blow all your money on early upgrades before realizing what other weapons were out there.

If you're having trouble with a boss fight, you're doing it wrong. The enemies may be tough but the tricks to defeating them are always extremely simple. Like, shoot the giant pulsating orbs simple. Or, fire these giant rockets simple. Or hold down the fire button simple.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Baram posted:

PE2 has enemies that have certain weaknesses to ammo types even if that ammo is weak.

Some enemies can be crippled (blown off shield) if you happen to hit them when they are in certain animations. Enemies can react differently to sound or movement.

Watch out for cliffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Astfgl posted:

The game tends to rush you through areas, but there's often no penalty for exploration once you've cleared out the enemies. This is also a good way of picking up treasure you missed during battle.

The game is really about inventory management. For that reason, you might want to invest in a lot of capacity upgrades for your weapons so that ammo takes up less space. Often times, we had a full 3/4 of our inventory devoted to weapons and ammo, sometimes more.

Try to save your special ammo (ie. anything except the handgun) especially the magnum for boss fights or special enemies.

There are three variations of each weapon in the game that you'll find at various points, plus some bonus weapons you can unlock by fully upgrading the original weapon of each type. But each is not necessarily better than the last. Some weapons are specifically designed to pierce armor, while others get more options while upgrading. Make things a little easier on yourself and check out the weapon profiles online somewhere, or else you could do what my friend and I did and blow all your money on early upgrades before realizing what other weapons were out there.

If you're having trouble with a boss fight, you're doing it wrong. The enemies may be tough but the tricks to defeating them are always extremely simple. Like, shoot the giant pulsating orbs simple. Or, fire these giant rockets simple. Or hold down the fire button simple.

Adding onto this, two observations of my own: The melee command prompts are extremely efficient crowd control and ammo conservation tools. Always go for an enemy's kneecaps or head, then move in for the punch while they're stunned. Guns are great and all, but overlook your fists at your own peril.

Also, don't be afraid to be generous with your shotgun ammo. It seems to be surprisingly ineffective against bosses and the game gives you quite a lot of it, so go hog wild on packs of normal enemies from time to time.