Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Opera has a auto-fill forms option on the same settings tab as wand, but i never thought they were the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Okay, I haven't used Opera in at least 2 years. Today I installed 10.0 on my laptop, purchased last March, which has never had Opera installed on it, ever.

Somehow, my two-year-old bookmark list was there when it finished installing and opened. I never told it to import...never told it to do ANYTHING, I merely installed it and it was there.

what the hell just happened :tinfoil:

It automatically imports any bookmarks it can find from other installed browsers.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

kapalama posted:

It automatically imports any bookmarks it can find from other installed browsers.

Well here's the thing...the other installed browsers had a far different set of bookmarks, and the copies installed on the laptop had never had these older bookmarks to begin with anyway.

I will continue to be mystified, unless Firefox somehow keeps old deleted bookmarks somehow.

Eb
May 6, 2003
Every time I download a .torrent, I get this stupid dialog:

With Opera always preselected and the "remember choice" box grayed out. Does this happen to anyone else, and is there a way to open it directly with uTorrent or at least have uTorrent preselected? I've already told it do open it with uTorrent in the Downloads preferences.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
what happens if you disable BT in opera:config? does setting your windows file assoc preferences change anything?

I need help guys, I'm having the problem again where I have no opera/opera/profile folder. brand new 7pro install on my tablet. I just want to install fanboy's adblock list. google yields absolutely nothing.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention

Eb posted:

Every time I download a .torrent, I get this stupid dialog:

With Opera always preselected and the "remember choice" box grayed out. Does this happen to anyone else, and is there a way to open it directly with uTorrent or at least have uTorrent preselected? I've already told it do open it with uTorrent in the Downloads preferences.

Well, there's the obvious answer about whether or not you picked "Use system default" and then tried checking "Remember choice and do not show again", assuming it becomes clickable once you select "use system default".

If not, there's always the standard trick of going to the URL opera:config, expanding the BitTorrent section, and unchecking "Enable". I think Opera will then consider torrent files as any other file it can download.

Eb
May 6, 2003

GuyGizmo posted:

Well, there's the obvious answer about whether or not you picked "Use system default" and then tried checking "Remember choice and do not show again", assuming it becomes clickable once you select "use system default".

If not, there's always the standard trick of going to the URL opera:config, expanding the BitTorrent section, and unchecking "Enable". I think Opera will then consider torrent files as any other file it can download.
Yeah, the obvious answer didn't work, but the opera:config did, I didn't know it was that easily accessible. Good times.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

thrawn86 posted:

what happens if you disable BT in opera:config? does setting your windows file assoc preferences change anything?

I need help guys, I'm having the problem again where I have no opera/opera/profile folder. brand new 7pro install on my tablet. I just want to install fanboy's adblock list. google yields absolutely nothing.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera 10 Beta

Or Opera

the Profile folder is deprecated from Opera 10, as far as I can tell. Appdata\Local\Opera\Opera is the previous "root" folder while Appdata\Roaming\Opera\Opera is what used to be the Profile folder. Put it in the root there.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I will continue to be mystified, unless Firefox somehow keeps old deleted bookmarks somehow.

It does in fact do just that.. Firefox 3.0 and above use a completely different bookmarks database, but they leave the old bookmarks file in place. And the old one (most likely) is the one that Opera looked for, and read from.

I was trying to figure out why my bookmarks file had not been updated in Firefox since Mar 2008 or some such thing, and just read all about that.

I am trying to downgrade to 9.64 and I am learning more than I want to about where different browsers store their bookmark files, and whatnot.

What I am not learning is why everyone (Opera included) wants to keep changing their bookmarks file format. Especially Opera (which has a small installed base) should really hesitate to change where they store their bookmark file, and the format of the file.

I am having absolutely no luck with Opera 10 and a big part of my frustration is that since they changed their bookmark file format and location, LaunchBar (Like Launchy but for Macs) does not know how to parse the bookmark file which means in order to use it I have to keep exporting a html copy of the bookmark file.

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!
The forums "double back" problem is back for me with Opera 10.

Any ideas when opera unite is going to join the main build?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

turtle_07 posted:

That's really odd. I've used every weekly of Opera 10 and haven't had that problem in months-- and definitely not right now. That sucks though. That bug drove me nuts for the longest time. :(

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Opera 10.10 with Unite just released.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/09/04/10-10-with-unite

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Casao posted:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera 10 Beta

Or Opera

the Profile folder is deprecated from Opera 10, as far as I can tell. Appdata\Local\Opera\Opera is the previous "root" folder while Appdata\Roaming\Opera\Opera is what used to be the Profile folder. Put it in the root there.

okay thanks, I just didn't see the urlfilter file in the root directory at all.

next question, is anyone having trouble dling snapshots with autoupdate? "download all snapshots" is checked, but what exactly does the "state" field mean? I assumed it was on/off (0 or 1) but the arrows will go up to 18...

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
every other time i middle click on a tab to close it is opens some giant spacker view of all my tabs.

How can I turn this off? Its loving retarded and I'm not. Make it die.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Jiblet posted:

every other time i middle click on a tab to close it is opens some giant spacker view of all my tabs.

How can I turn this off? Its loving retarded and I'm not. Make it die.

Stop missing? :haw:

Or right click on any tab, go to Customize, and uncheck "Enable Thumbnails in Tabs."

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Anunnaki posted:

Stop missing? :haw:

Or right click on any tab, go to Customize, and uncheck "Enable Thumbnails in Tabs."

I hate you.
And love you.
I... have you?

Thanks!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Welp, that just tought me that middle clicking the tabs closes them instead of fiddling for the x.

Glad they never mentioned that. But eh, thats the Opera experience i guess!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Welp, that just tought me that middle clicking the tabs closes them instead of fiddling for the x.

Glad they never mentioned that. But eh, thats the Opera experience i guess!

It's also the firefox experience, as they do the same thing there. I turned off the Xs on tabs for that reason.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

turtle_07 posted:

Do you use an ad blocking list? I downloaded a huge premade one and at least one of those entries caused the "double back" problem for me.

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!

NashAsh posted:

Do you use an ad blocking list? I downloaded a huge premade one and at least one of those entries caused the "double back" problem for me.

Yeah, the one that was mentioned previously in the thread. It wasn't a problem for 9.64 though.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

turtle_07 posted:

Yeah, the one that was mentioned previously in the thread. It wasn't a problem for 9.64 though.

As has been said before, and will undoubtedly be said again:

Edit Site Preferences > Disable Inline Frames.

No more double back.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

So I upgraded to Opera 10 and my browsing is extremely slow
The program is fine, but it seems like my internet connection got downgraded to a 56k modem.

Like just going to google just now, it spent on the order of a minute trying to connect. Then it loaded the page fine. But once I visit a page once in a browsing session, I can then load the page fine (new tab and enter in google.com is instant). This behavior is happening with all addresses.

Is Opera doing some sort of phishing check, or some sort of checking with some service that is slowing down my browsing? I searched through the prefs but didn't see anything that caught my eye.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

rincewind101 posted:

So I upgraded to Opera 10 and my browsing is extremely slow
The program is fine, but it seems like my internet connection got downgraded to a 56k modem.

Like just going to google just now, it spent on the order of a minute trying to connect. Then it loaded the page fine. But once I visit a page once in a browsing session, I can then load the page fine (new tab and enter in google.com is instant). This behavior is happening with all addresses.

Is Opera doing some sort of phishing check, or some sort of checking with some service that is slowing down my browsing? I searched through the prefs but didn't see anything that caught my eye.

Is Opera Turbo switched on? There'll be a button with a little speedometer icon somewhere. It actually makes things slower on fast connections as all webpages get routed/compressed through Opera's quite-overloaded servers.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I just switched back from Safari to Opera (latest build, 10-something?), and I can't get Hotmail to work properly. Whenever I load the page, I get the usual Hotmail-banner on the top, and then a looooooooong bit of nothing before I get to the rest of the page. Kingdom of Loathing seems to have the same problem, so I'm guessing it's frame-related. I tried the 'identify as' and 'masquerade as'-options, but they don't seem to do anything, and I have no clue what else I might try.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
So, I use Opera at work and we develop CMS solutions for our clients. The text editor we use is TinyMCE, and after either the Alpha or Beta 1, TinyMCE loading seems to be adding a bunch of Javascript calls to the History whenever it loads. Suffice to say, thus makes the back button almost useless on any of these pages. Any ideas on how to surpress JS events from being added to the history? Thanks!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blue Moonlight posted:

So, I use Opera at work and we develop CMS solutions for our clients. The text editor we use is TinyMCE, and after either the Alpha or Beta 1, TinyMCE loading seems to be adding a bunch of Javascript calls to the History whenever it loads. Suffice to say, thus makes the back button almost useless on any of these pages. Any ideas on how to surpress JS events from being added to the history? Thanks!

See if the stuff here helps you. Specifically, you'd change the global setting in opera:config and see if it works for that site, then probably make a userjs to change it for that site only (they really should add this to Site Preferences).
http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/827/

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Jolan posted:

I just switched back from Safari to Opera (latest build, 10-something?), and I can't get Hotmail to work properly. Whenever I load the page, I get the usual Hotmail-banner on the top, and then a looooooooong bit of nothing before I get to the rest of the page. Kingdom of Loathing seems to have the same problem, so I'm guessing it's frame-related. I tried the 'identify as' and 'masquerade as'-options, but they don't seem to do anything, and I have no clue what else I might try.

My 'solution' to Opera cannot load this site problems is to wait a couple of days. It does in fact usually work. Ebay and Paypal stop working properly sometimes, and the problems resolve themselves.

But since that is a Microsoft site that might be never fixed. Microsoft used to intentionally hamstring other browsers.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum118/174.htm

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

If you are having trouble getting Opera Link to work find your Opera settings folder and delete the files labeled with an extension of ".pre_sync"

I love Opera, but why doesn't it do this sort of housekeeping itself?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Kameleon posted:

Is Opera Turbo switched on? There'll be a button with a little speedometer icon somewhere. It actually makes things slower on fast connections as all webpages get routed/compressed through Opera's quite-overloaded servers.

I turned off Opera Turbo and am still having the same problems.
I tried going back to Opera 9 and it's happening there too. Very strange. Since I was using Opera 9 fine.

If it helps, I'm on MacOS

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

kapalama posted:

My 'solution' to Opera cannot load this site problems is to wait a couple of days. It does in fact usually work. Ebay and Paypal stop working properly sometimes, and the problems resolve themselves.

But since that is a Microsoft site that might be never fixed. Microsoft used to intentionally hamstring other browsers.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum118/174.htm

First of all, there's no error messages. The pages are just displayed with excessive white space.

Secondly, that's a link from six years ago, when non-IE users were a minority. Microsoft isn't going to boycott anyone, especially with gmail existing. And if they did, it would be better-known issue, while I can't seem to find any pages related to what I'm seeing.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Jolan posted:

First of all, there's no error messages. The pages are just displayed with excessive white space.

Secondly, that's a link from six years ago, when non-IE users were a minority. Microsoft isn't going to boycott anyone, especially with gmail existing. And if they did, it would be better-known issue, while I can't seem to find any pages related to what I'm seeing.

Turns out it was just a stupid "fit to width" problem where Opera did some strange zooming with the page. Unchecking the option under preferences -> web pages fixed it.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need
I may be the only person in the world who uses tabs on the left, but hopefully one of you guys can answer this: with the tab bar aligned left and set to wrap to multiple lines, does everyone else have a space at the bottom of the bar that won't fill with tabs? It's about 2 tabs tall maximized, but if I resize the window it can be as small as 1 tab high - resizing smaller than that causes a tab to hop to the next line and makes the space 2 tabs high again.

This was not a problem in 9.64, but both a clean 10 install and an upgrade from 9.64 have the same issue. Any idea how to reclaim that space, or is this a bug that Opera needs to fix?

Edit: a bit of testing shows that it's exactly the height of the New Tab button and the extender menu >> button put together. Why are those having space saved for them when I've removed the first and turned the second off by selecting wrap to multiple lines? Beats me.

GobyWan fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 11, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

GobyWan posted:

I may be the only person in the world who uses tabs on the left, but hopefully one of you guys can answer this: with the tab bar aligned left and set to wrap to multiple lines, does everyone else have a space at the bottom of the bar that won't fill with tabs? It's about 2 tabs tall maximized, but if I resize the window it can be as small as 1 tab high - resizing smaller than that causes a tab to hop to the next line and makes the space 2 tabs high again.

This was not a problem in 9.64, but both a clean 10 install and an upgrade from 9.64 have the same issue. Any idea how to reclaim that space, or is this a bug that Opera needs to fix?

Edit: a bit of testing shows that it's exactly the height of the New Tab button and the extender menu >> button put together. Why are those having space saved for them when I've removed the first and turned the second off by selecting wrap to multiple lines? Beats me.

If you need space that much, try using the Window list panel instead of the regular tab bar. It's functionally the same with much smaller text to fit more tabs, and you can toggle in on/off with at an instant.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Lakitu7 posted:

If you need space that much, try using the Window list panel instead of the regular tab bar. It's functionally the same with much smaller text to fit more tabs, and you can toggle in on/off with at an instant.

I gave that a try, but I found the lack of right-click options, unread tab indicators and various other things to be frustrating and not really worth the extra screen real estate. Ideally, I'd like to be able to open up the right click + mousewheel tab selector and then click on the tab I'm after, and I'd also like to have the option of showing a thumbnail for each tab in a speed dial-esque grid - basically Vista's alt-tab, but for the browser. With a more powerful pop-up tab selector and an easy way to show and hide the address bar, I could spend most of my time in fullscreen and not worry about screen real estate.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

rincewind101 posted:

I turned off Opera Turbo and am still having the same problems.
I tried going back to Opera 9 and it's happening there too. Very strange. Since I was using Opera 9 fine.

If it helps, I'm on MacOS

preferences > advanced > security > uncheck 'enable fraud protection'

cocaine
Apr 12, 2008
Weird, it's slower than firefox in linux.

Are there any compact skins for 10 yet? The default doesn't really work for netbooks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anyone having issues on OSX with rapid moving threads and trying to go to the new posts? It seems like it keeps going to one that was clicked a few minutes ago.

It's doing this with the last post and even if I post twice within a few minutes taking me to the earlier post rather than the new one.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 13, 2009

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I have problems getting the itms:// thing to work.
I added it to protocols but it always claims I don't have an application registered to it.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

krylex posted:

Anyone having issues on OSX with rapid moving threads and trying to go to the new posts? It seems like it keeps going to one that was clicked a few minutes ago.

It's doing this with the last post and even if I post twice within a few minutes taking me to the earlier post rather than the new one.

even after refreshing the thead list? try the delete private data dialog. choose the delete entire cache option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I finally managed to figure out that it is something to do with a OSX update that is making Opera crash every time I try and print.

Is there anyone else on OSX 10.5 and Opera that has figured out which of the 10.5.8 related updates are responsible for the 'crash on print' error?