Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just pre-ordered windows 7 for £44 at tesco :) UK goons should jump on this!

I'm pretty excited, my only issue is I have no idea how to format my boot drive so that I can do a clean install? Is there any simple guides out there at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roguestar
May 13, 2005

developers developers developers developers

A5H posted:

I'm pretty excited, my only issue is I have no idea how to format my boot drive so that I can do a clean install? Is there any simple guides out there at all?

The easiest way for you to format the drive for a clean install is to just drop the Windows DVD in and when it asks you which drive you want to install on, select the desired hard disk and instead of pressing the big install button in the bottom right, click 'Drive Options (Advanced)' underneath the drive listing. A number of new options will appear, just choose Format (go for NTFS if asked). Then once the drive is formatted, select it and choose 'install'! It's much streamlined in Windows 7.

Check out this guide
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm
Pages 10 and 11 show you screenshots of the drive select screen.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Roguestar posted:

The easiest way for you to format the drive for a clean install is to just drop the Windows DVD in and when it asks you which drive you want to install on, select the desired hard disk and instead of pressing the big install button in the bottom right, click 'Drive Options (Advanced)' underneath the drive listing. A number of new options will appear, just choose Format (go for NTFS if asked). Then once the drive is formatted, select it and choose 'install'! It's much streamlined in Windows 7.

Check out this guide
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

Brilliant. Thanks a lot man! :buddy:

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I haven't noticed any issues with my Vista to 7 upgrade, but my Vista install was only about 5 months old when I did the upgrade. And regardless, I'm still planning on doing a clean install at some point after I get my retail copy, just to be safe.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

fishmech posted:

You should basically never do a clean install of Windows unless it gets hosed over by virtumonde-type poo poo. If you're doing clean installs of Windows every few months the time that costs you is more than however small amount you save from things being "faster".

someone make this guy gas chamber only again, tia

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
For what it's worth, I did a "custom" clean install, and it backed up all my data windows.old. It took less than an hour to install and copy everything over. Works great!

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Is there a working Foldersize column display program for 7? All of the ones I download and install don't do poo poo.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
No

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smith7800 posted:

I got the windows 7 like any good loser should, but now I can't connect my xbox xbmc to my network. Can anyone help me out?

This has been driving me insane. I gave up.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
I've always used to CCXGui Full edition for XBox streaming, much easier to manage:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=218883

Install it as a service, setup your shares in the app, restart the service. Make sure to pop open port 1400 on your firewall (or allow the .exe) and then you can use XBox's XMBSP Network Servers (AutoDetect) entry to instantly see all the shares you've set up in the application.

-----------------------

Interesting info:
http://digg.com/microsoft/Microsoft_Windows_7_upgrade_can_take_nearly_a_day

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 12, 2009

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Roguestar posted:

..select the desired hard disk and instead of pressing the big install button in the bottom right, click 'Drive Options (Advanced)' underneath the drive listing. A number of new options will appear, just choose Format (go for NTFS if asked)..
Better yet, just delete the partition, select the empty space and click "Next". Windows Setup will know to create the necessary partitions and format as NTFS. By doing this, Setup will create a separate 200MB 'system' partition that is required for BitLocker.

EDIT: 200MB, not 200GB. Sorry.

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 12, 2009

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Has anybody noticed any really slow performance with the nVidia 730i (MCP7A/Geforce 9400) chipset?

I was only getting a disk performance index of 2.3 after installing but then I installed the nVidia chipset drivers and it raised it to about a 4.0. However, the system still feels pretty sluggish and takes a while to boot.

The motherboard I'm using is a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Better yet, just delete the partition, select the empty space and click "Next". Windows Setup will know to create the necessary partitions and format as NTFS. By doing this, Setup will create a separate 200GB 'system' partition that is required for BitLocker.

But my boot drive is only 200GB total so how will this work??? That seems very big for some secondary thing?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Better yet, just delete the partition, select the empty space and click "Next". Windows Setup will know to create the necessary partitions and format as NTFS. By doing this, Setup will create a separate 200GB 'system' partition that is required for BitLocker.

200MB, btw, just in case anyone gets confused/upset.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

LooseChanj posted:

Nope, I just do the delete the icon cache file, kill explorer and restart it dance. But since I rarely turn off the computer it's not a major deal. And I don't use vnc, but hmmm.

Delete the icon cache, then change from 32-bit color to 16-bit color.

Win7 and Vista share the same icon cache bug.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

crumshot posted:

This has been driving me insane. I gave up.

I got it going, only problem is I seem to have to go into Explorer and open the network location before the xbox can access. I'm not sure why it's that way, I sort of bumbled my way through getting it working.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

If I install the RTM now (Home Premium, to match the upgrade I have pre-ordered) and use the rearm trick until my upgrade copy arrives, will my Upgrade key work to activate the Windows 7 Home Premium RTM?

Or do I have to reinstall from the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD from scratch?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I've got a question about W7 working with my current PC. I installed the RC on my desktop, an Acer Aspire T180. It's a bit of a gestalt, as it's been through numerous upgrades and parts replacements over the last few years.

Anyways, after installing the Windows 7 RC, the computer hasn't recognized the media card reader (SD, Compact Flash reader, etc). I'm unable to find any drivers for that specific component on Acer's website, although I may just not know where to look. Any advice or suggestions?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jetfire posted:

I've got a question about W7 working with my current PC. I installed the RC on my desktop, an Acer Aspire T180. It's a bit of a gestalt, as it's been through numerous upgrades and parts replacements over the last few years.

Anyways, after installing the Windows 7 RC, the computer hasn't recognized the media card reader (SD, Compact Flash reader, etc). I'm unable to find any drivers for that specific component on Acer's website, although I may just not know where to look. Any advice or suggestions?

Are you sure it's not recognized? Windows 7, by default, doesn't show any empty card readers in My Computer, it should show up when you put something in.

Does it show up in Device manager? Unless it's special somehow, the card reader should just plug into an internal USB port and have its own drivers on it. I know that's how mine works (though not an Acer).

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Roguestar posted:

Check out this guide

I've always wondered if it's better to do a "quick format" or a normal format when doing a complete re-install. Is there a difference?

Also, I keep checking this thread in hopes that there are more oppurtnities to get a free copy of Windows 7 like there was with Vista (the online telecasts, the live search word games, etc.), but I guess it's not gonna happen. :(

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Casao posted:

Are you sure it's not recognized? Windows 7, by default, doesn't show any empty card readers in My Computer, it should show up when you put something in.

Does it show up in Device manager? Unless it's special somehow, the card reader should just plug into an internal USB port and have its own drivers on it. I know that's how mine works (though not an Acer).

It doesn't show up in the device manager, and when I insert an SD Card (4gb SDHC, FWIW) the LED on the card reader lights up but nothing comes up on the computer.

It's possible that the card reader's internal connection was shaken loose the last time I did modifications, I guess I'll take a look later tonight. But a lot of the basic components that came in this computer weren't fantastic to begin with - that's the price of getting an off-the-shelf PC without knowing much about them, I guess.

Edit: there's a USB port in the media card reader, and that works fine. Either this thing doesn't read SDHC, or there might be something physically wrong with the SD port.

Jetfire fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 13, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jetfire posted:

It doesn't show up in the device manager, and when I insert an SD Card (4gb SDHC, FWIW) the LED on the card reader lights up but nothing comes up on the computer.

It's possible that the card reader's internal connection was shaken loose the last time I did modifications, I guess I'll take a look later tonight. But a lot of the basic components that came in this computer weren't fantastic to begin with - that's the price of getting an off-the-shelf PC without knowing much about them, I guess.

Edit: there's a USB port in the media card reader, and that works fine. Either this thing doesn't read SDHC, or there might be something physically wrong with the SD port.

The USB port just means it's connected. Internal ports support 2 USB ports, so it uses one for the card reader and directly passes the other. It could be missing drivers, could have burnt out or any other things. The light turning on also says the same thing, it's probably a driver issue or a burn out thing. Try the other ports or another SD card.

Do you have any "Unknown device" in the Device Manager?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Charles Martel posted:

I've always wondered if it's better to do a "quick format" or a normal format when doing a complete re-install. Is there a difference?

Almost always it's better to do a quick format - it only takes a few seconds, as opposed to possibly an hour or more. You pretty much only need to do a normal format if there is something on the drive that you want to guarantee is physically erased.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Almost always it's better to do a quick format - it only takes a few seconds, as opposed to possibly an hour or more. You pretty much only need to do a normal format if there is something on the drive that you want to guarantee is physically erased.

Full vs quick format is not about physically erasing. You usually only care if something is physically wiped when moving a drive from one user to another. And if you really want to make sure everything is erased for security purposes then you need to wipe with algorithm based wiping tool that writes to the drive several+ times.

A full format is preferable to a quick format if you want make sure that the formatted content is read/writable. If bad/unreadable sectors are detected during a full format they will be marked bad during the format. If you're confident that your drive is good then you can do a quick format for speed. On a new drive I always do a full format to make sure I didn't get a dud. Though you don't want to do a full format on a SSD because of the write degradation issue, on a SSD it's better to just run a CHKDSK /R as some point to make sure there are no bad locations.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 13, 2009

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This may not necessarily be a Windows 7 question, so forgive me if it's retarded, but do I actually need to install Intel Chipset drivers in windows 7?

My machine is an older Core2 Duo, homebuilt with a P965 chipset motherboard.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

scarymonkey posted:

And if you really want to make sure everything is erased for security purposes then you need to wipe with algorithm based wiping tool that writes to the drive several+ times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Lum posted:

You can argue what's a secure way to wipe, but a simple format isn't it, I've undone formats several times in the past.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 14, 2013

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

scarymonkey posted:

you need to wipe with algorithm based wiping tool that writes to the drive several+ times.

No you don't, shut up, you know nothing.

Falloutboy
Jul 8, 2003
Anyone know a good place to download the RC, now that the download period at the microsoft website has expired?

Note: They still issue product keys, they just don't let you download it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Falloutboy posted:

Anyone know a good place to download the RC, now that the download period at the microsoft website has expired?

Note: They still issue product keys, they just don't let you download it.

I asked this same thing a little while back and the only response I got was, 'Why would you want to?' RTM is long since out, and retail is released next month. Otherwise, dodgy torrents are the way to go.

Falloutboy
Jul 8, 2003

Black Pants posted:

I asked this same thing a little while back and the only response I got was, 'Why would you want to?' RTM is long since out, and retail is released next month. Otherwise, dodgy torrents are the way to go.

Thanks, I'll try out the RTM then.

Wendow
Sep 5, 2006

I am a window.
I just installed Windows 7 a few days ago and everything was working great until yesterday. My computer detected that an ethernet cord was connected, but could not connect to the network at all. When I tried going wireless I kept getting the error message that my network security key was invalid (when it wasn't).

I googled for an hour or two yesterday and apparently a lot of people has had this problem with Windows 7 and nForce mobos. Some people seem to have resolved it by disabling "receive side scaling", but I can't find that option anywhere. It just doesn't show up anywhere.

Also, both the ethernet and wireless work fine for every other computer in this house. I tested the cord with my laptop and it worked perfectly. I've already updated to the latest nVidia Windows Vista/7 ethernet drivers, what else can I do?

EDIT: Disabled RSS through command prompt and tried vista drivers that apparently worked for other people. Still doesn't work.

Wendow fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 13, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Falloutboy posted:

Thanks, I'll try out the RTM then.

Yeah, you can "try" the RTM for 120 days. You'll be able to buy it before 120 days passes.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

A5H posted:

Cheers pal!

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-3928.aspx

I just checked and this is still £150 on play.com to preorder the full version, with the upgrade version being £80, I hope Tesco didn't gently caress up because this seems awful cheap for the full version (listing the price as £70 before reductions), oh well worst that can happen is that I'll get my money back!

Honey Im Homme fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 13, 2009

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I accidentally deleted the "My Music" folder from the Music library, so I added it back and now have this stuck at the top:

How the hell do I hide that?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Honey Im Homme posted:

Cheers pal!

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-3928.aspx

I just checked and this is still £150 on play.com to preorder the full version, with the upgrade version being £80, I hope Tesco didn't gently caress up because this seems awful cheap for the full version (listing the price as £70 before reductions), oh well worst that can happen is that I'll get my money back!

It should be fine mate :)

Did you use the £5 off code as well!?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

A5H posted:

It should be fine mate :)

Did you use the £5 off code as well!?

No drat it!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

toxick posted:

I accidentally deleted the "My Music" folder from the Music library, so I added it back and now have this stuck at the top:

How the hell do I hide that?

Don't arrange it by folder?

It's there by default on every library with more than one folder. Arrange by something else if you don't want that there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I'm trying out the whole themes thing. (RC)
I can't get custom sounds to work! I made .wav files, and I go to sounds to browse to the wav file, but when I apply I don't hear them. I don't even hear them when I hit 'test', yet I hear them if I open them directly.