Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yalc
Mar 5, 2003

Gayin it up itt

putting a couch on a few cinder blocks as a quick riser/stage a good or bad idea :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Yalc posted:

putting a couch on a few cinder blocks as a quick riser/stage a good or bad idea :)

I used bed risers that are typically used for elderly people to raise my couch up 5" in the back row. $7 bucks and it works like a charm. :) (color matches the brown-ish hue of the carpet too!)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Yalc posted:

We put a couch on a coffee table behind another couch. Yes, we had stadium seating in our apartment. It was pretty awesome.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

Yalc posted:

Did this in my last college house. It was cool except it makes socializing with guests over a pain. If you have a sitting/chilling room that's separate, then go for it.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Omegaslast posted:

That sub is a BA CS Sub10?

Yep.

Wish I had another place for this TT. Urgh

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I miss my setup already, I took it down friday morning and am storing it at my relatives for the next few years while I'm in the military. I will be envious of everyones ability to have their large speakers and TVs for the next few years while I'm stuck with headphones and a ~20" monitor instead of my $2000 surround sound and my 37" screen... But when I get out I'm going to buy a huge subwoofer and new TV.

dawiyo
Jul 16, 2007
My Set-Up:
  • Olevia 232V-S13
  • Klipsch CS-500
  • Samsung BD-P1600
  • Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD Drive
  • Logitech Harmony One

Not pictured are a 24" iMac and a 1TB external hard drive that stream a whole bunch of media over to my Xbox.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
What's the general consensus on Buttkickers?
Because I got on on Friday, attached it to my couch and IT'S loving AWESOME.

Totally worth the money, I think, especially if you live in a multilevel apartment block where big, window-rattling subwoofers are going to annoy the neighbours.

dawiyo
Jul 16, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

What's the general consensus on Buttkickers?
Because I got on on Friday, attached it to my couch and IT'S loving AWESOME.

Totally worth the money, I think, especially if you live in a multilevel apartment block where big, window-rattling subwoofers are going to annoy the neighbours.

I've wanted to check those out for some time now. Is there any way you think the neighbors would feel the vibrations?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Here's my beginner AV Setup.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

dawiyo posted:

I've wanted to check those out for some time now. Is there any way you think the neighbors would feel the vibrations?

No, they won't.

Simple physics dictates that the floor cannot be moved (yes, technically it will move at an atomic level or whatever) but it's too heavy for there to be an impact from a relatively insignificant force like a speaker or Buttkicker.

Add to this the isolation pads you need for the device to work properly. Each couch foot has thick rubber isolation pad (included in the LFE kit, if you're looking at Buttkicker's site), and this prevents the energy from being grounded.

The best bit for me is that I didn't have to modify my couch in any way, to set it up (though I probably will, now, to get it working a lot better). You just use the couch mount kit, pop the mounting plate under a couch foot and you're good to go. It'll take like 15 minutes to get shakin' :dance:

waramp
Aug 20, 2004

HALO
TWENTY SIX

Photex posted:

Here's my beginner AV Setup.

Ahhhh Jade Empire I see. You have good taste ;)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Simple physics dictates that the floor cannot be moved (yes, technically it will move at an atomic level or whatever) but it's too heavy for there to be an impact from a relatively insignificant force like a speaker or Buttkicker.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill but have you actually ever taken a physics class? The rubber feet might dampen vibrations but how do you think speakers or this Buttkicker thing would not transmit sound/vibration/etc?

writequit
Sep 14, 2004

fnord fnord fnord fnord
My primary gear is controlled by a 1973 Kenwood KR5200 Receiver on top of the fridge in the kitchen. It has three channels, and powers:

• (A) A pair of 1980-something four-way Polks in the living room
  • (B) A pair of Infinity Primus bookshelves in the kitchen
  • (C) A pair of Polk 45's on the roof deck

I love the wooden enclosure, and would die for the matching graphic EQ (only for the VU meters). I'm going to give control of the roof speakers to an old Onkyo I have when I rewire next summer, but it works great for now. It's almost exclusively used for itunes and has an airport extreme connected to it's reat constant-power and aux input, so the lack of a remote doesn't matter.

Because I just finished the basement in my 1915 row house, I was able to run speaker wire through holes in the floor all over the place in the basement, and back up through other holes to the first floor again.

Once I put a shelving system up in the living room (saving for a Visoe system), I'll connect an old turntable I have to the phono input.

The veneer on these Polks was walnut when my Uncle gave them to me. I fixed that with some krylon, put new feet on, replaced the fuses, and stashed the grilles. The flash betrayed a bit of the brown sneaking through in this shot.

What kind of karmic danger would I be in I gave the Kenwood the same treatment? It looks good now but it would look grande in black too.

In the basement, I've got a 42" Panasonic plasma and some old Infinity Primus 250s with a matching center speaker, all run by an Onkyo 605. The rears are junk speakers from a friend's old bookshelf system, and I have them hidden up in the rafters behind the duct work - I think they are a Radioshack brand – can't see spending much given what is expected of them. I'm using an Infinity 8" powered sub placed next to the sofa. It isn't earth shaking, but I don't watch much that would make use of it, and without it the mains are anemic.

In the closet, in addition to the Onkyo, I have a mac mini connected to the TV for Plex, a modded xbox, a time capsule WAP + NAS, another 1TB NAS, my firewall and cable modem, cable box, an HP laserjet printer, a APC-1500 UPS keeping it all from caring about power outtages, guitar amps and gear and all kinds of other crap, all racked on metal shelving.

IR blasters are amazing. Get one.

I had no good way to hide the cables on the painted brick wall, so I ran with the industrial look of the duct over the sofa and ordered a 10'x4" spiral round from a local sheet metal shop. With the end-cap and reducer it was under $50, and allowed me to run power, speaker, VGA and composite cables from the closet behind that painting. I then ran everything back behind the speaker with a smaller spiral metal conduit, and mounted a proper electric jack on the brick behind the TV. The duct is hung on steel braided cable. Just over the center channel you can hopefully make out the IR-blaster sensor mounted in the duct, pointed at the sofa.

The recessed Ikea lighting is banked in two switches so that I can toggle off just the lights in the middle of the room, killing the glare on the TV.

The duct is too long by 5 feet just for the sake of symmetry. Pulling cable through it was.. awkward. Pushing the IR blaster through the hole I put in it involved masking tape and scrap wood. I used old sheilded extension cord instead of romex for the power run and can't detect any interference from it, even though the vertical conduit is stuffed.

The secondary channel on the Onkyo runs around the basement to some old Aiwa bookshelves on top of the kegerator in my home brewing area.

Oh, and a tape-out loop from the rear of the Kenwood in the kitchen down to the Onkyo means that both floors (and the roof) can blast the same music for parties.

Almost all of this junk is second hand. I bought the TV and Infinity gear as starter equipment back when I had an apartment and had hoped to upgrade to better speakers by now, but there hasn't been budget for that yet.

writequit fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 11, 2009

Sultry Fungus
Oct 29, 2006

Phallic Fungus make me happy.

writequit posted:

:words:

You have the most amazing home, nice work!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
After swapping out my old XBOX for a HTPC, I think I'm done moving stuff around in my rack.

From top to bottom :

Kaleidescape 1U Server (4TB)
Kaleidescape 1080P Player
Middle Atlantic PD-815 PDU
Crestron CP2e Control Processor
Motorola DCH3416 Cable Box
Nintendo Wii
Microsoft XBOX 360
2U HTPC Running Ubuntu XBMC
Sony Playstation 3
Pioneer SC-07 Receiver

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

writequit
Sep 14, 2004

fnord fnord fnord fnord

Legdiian posted:

After swapping out my old XBOX for a HTPC, I think I'm done moving stuff around in my rack.

Holy crap, is that a full two-post rack? The cut outs are brilliant. I assume you can stand behind it to adjust interconnects?

writequit
Sep 14, 2004

fnord fnord fnord fnord

Sultry Fungus posted:

You have the most amazing home, nice work!

Thanks!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

writequit posted:

Holy crap, is that a full two-post rack? The cut outs are brilliant. I assume you can stand behind it to adjust interconnects?

It's a Middle Atlantic SRSR Rack

The spot it's in used to be a closet. The rack pulls out and spins 90 degrees to access the components. I will take some pictures once I finish up the wiring :)

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

writequit posted:

My primary gear is controlled by a 1973 Kenwood KR5200 Receiver on top of the fridge in the kitchen. It has three channels, and powers:

• (A) A pair of 1980-something four-way Polks in the living room
  • (B) A pair of Infinity Primus bookshelves in the kitchen
  • (C) A pair of Polk 45's on the roof deck

I love the wooden enclosure, and would die for the matching graphic EQ (only for the VU meters). I'm going to give control of the roof speakers to an old Onkyo I have when I rewire next summer, but it works great for now. It's almost exclusively used for itunes and has an airport extreme connected to it's reat constant-power and aux input, so the lack of a remote doesn't matter.

Because I just finished the basement in my 1915 row house, I was able to run speaker wire through holes in the floor all over the place in the basement, and back up through other holes to the first floor again.

Once I put a shelving system up in the living room (saving for a Visoe system), I'll connect an old turntable I have to the phono input.

The veneer on these Polks was walnut when my Uncle gave them to me. I fixed that with some krylon, put new feet on, replaced the fuses, and stashed the grilles. The flash betrayed a bit of the brown sneaking through in this shot.

What kind of karmic danger would I be in I gave the Kenwood the same treatment? It looks good now but it would look grande in black too.

In the basement, I've got a 42" Panasonic plasma and some old Infinity Primus 250s with a matching center speaker, all run by an Onkyo 605. The rears are junk speakers from a friend's old bookshelf system, and I have them hidden up in the rafters behind the duct work - I think they are a Radioshack brand – can't see spending much given what is expected of them. I'm using an Infinity 8" powered sub placed next to the sofa. It isn't earth shaking, but I don't watch much that would make use of it, and without it the mains are anemic.

In the closet, in addition to the Onkyo, I have a mac mini connected to the TV for Plex, a modded xbox, a time capsule WAP + NAS, another 1TB NAS, my firewall and cable modem, cable box, an HP laserjet printer, a APC-1500 UPS keeping it all from caring about power outtages, guitar amps and gear and all kinds of other crap, all racked on metal shelving.

IR blasters are amazing. Get one.

I had no good way to hide the cables on the painted brick wall, so I ran with the industrial look of the duct over the sofa and ordered a 10'x4" spiral round from a local sheet metal shop. With the end-cap and reducer it was under $50, and allowed me to run power, speaker, VGA and composite cables from the closet behind that painting. I then ran everything back behind the speaker with a smaller spiral metal conduit, and mounted a proper electric jack on the brick behind the TV. The duct is hung on steel braided cable. Just over the center channel you can hopefully make out the IR-blaster sensor mounted in the duct, pointed at the sofa.

The recessed Ikea lighting is banked in two switches so that I can toggle off just the lights in the middle of the room, killing the glare on the TV.

The duct is too long by 5 feet just for the sake of symmetry. Pulling cable through it was.. awkward. Pushing the IR blaster through the hole I put in it involved masking tape and scrap wood. I used old sheilded extension cord instead of romex for the power run and can't detect any interference from it, even though the vertical conduit is stuffed.

The secondary channel on the Onkyo runs around the basement to some old Aiwa bookshelves on top of the kegerator in my home brewing area.

Oh, and a tape-out loop from the rear of the Kenwood in the kitchen down to the Onkyo means that both floors (and the roof) can blast the same music for parties.

Almost all of this junk is second hand. I bought the TV and Infinity gear as starter equipment back when I had an apartment and had hoped to upgrade to better speakers by now, but there hasn't been budget for that yet.

This right here is why I love reading this thread. Absolutely amazing man, I can't wait to have a place I can actually work with and try to set something up half this cool.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Thats a nice clean setup but man those infinitys look loving weird wall mounted.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Omegaslast posted:

Thats a nice clean setup but man those infinitys look loving weird wall mounted.

It is funny because I think they look awesome. There is a kind of movement going on with interior design now though with people wall mounting loving everything which I find awesome so I am biased. I have seriously seen pretty much everything other than like couches and fridges wall mounted at this point. It is like people got tired of recessing everything and just went "lets bolt the fucker to the wall." Not rental friendly at all.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
So I bought a tripod last night. Here's some pics of my touch panel and my super cool 3 color LED ropelight

Edit - For bonus points, spot the error on my GUI screen shot :(

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x770 image.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 11, 2009

cudwortho
Aug 1, 2003

Legdiian posted:

So I bought a tripod last night. Here's some pics of my touch panel and my super cool 3 color LED ropelight

Edit - For bonus points, spot the error on my GUI screen shot :(

Sci Fi Channel is now is now SyFy?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

cudwortho posted:

Sci Fi Channel is now is now SyFy?

I guess it's not obvious but my little help dialog at the top is the one for my Kaleidescape page. Whoops

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Legdiian posted:

I guess it's not obvious but my little help dialog at the top is the one for my Kaleidescape page. Whoops
Your typography is also off; use curly quotes and a proper apostrophe.

asari
Jul 8, 2008

Legdiian posted:

Bah, I saw thread to late but i totally called the mistake, only if you had some top quality QCing on your programming.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
True av nerds have like 4 remotes and then forget which inputs are assigned to what on the tv and receiver. bonus points if your receiver has renamed inputs but none of them actually correspond to whats connected to that input

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Omegaslast posted:

True av nerds have like 4 remotes and then forget which inputs are assigned to what on the tv and receiver. bonus points if your receiver has renamed inputs but none of them actually correspond to whats connected to that input

It's at this point that the AV Nerd goes and gets a Harmony Remote.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Mugmoor posted:

I had an 880 and hated how it didnt remember what was on and off, also i had to point it at all the poo poo for ages.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I need to replace my Monster AVL300 with an 880 or 890. What a piece of poo poo. I only use it cause I got it free.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Omegaslast posted:

I had an 880 and hated how it didnt remember what was on and off, also i had to point it at all the poo poo for ages.

I have an 1100 and it's terrible. Why can't I just make my OWN remote layout rather than having to use their lovely Java software to reprogram crappy presets?
All I want is on-screen playback controls for my WDTV, while having the volume buttons control my AV receiver.

My Yamaha receiver's remote does a better job of being an all-in-one (with macro functions) than Logitech's flagship $400 remote.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Hello Spaceman posted:

I have an 1100 and it's terrible. Why can't I just make my OWN remote layout rather than having to use their lovely Java software to reprogram crappy presets?
All I want is on-screen playback controls for my WDTV, while having the volume buttons control my AV receiver.

My Yamaha receiver's remote does a better job of being an all-in-one (with macro functions) than Logitech's flagship $400 remote.

The 1k series has always been crap. It runs a weird stack made of of Gecko, Java, and other kruft running on an embedded device. It's nowhere near stable. Total piece of poo poo, avoid.

Beyond that, I think touchscreen remotes conceptually suck, including the One, or the iphone. Give me hard buttons any day. Who wants to look at a screen when trying to pause a movie in the dark? You just want to reach down and know where the button is without thinking about it. Give me a 720/880/890 any day (I like the 720 best, partial to the square form factor).

I don't like the lovely web-based software to reprogram Harmony remotes, but on the other hand now that it's programmed I haven't thought about it in 2 years. Tweaking the timings and devices so it would know what to turn on and off, and fine-grain tuning the delays on each device so that the wait was minimal, was a serious pain in the rear end. Doubly so because I didn't have a laptop then, and had to cart the remote across the house to make every change. But after 2 nights of tweaking it's been dialed in ever since.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Place is still a mess; handling a full house on your own = pain in the rear end.

Next up is a fair of floorstanding speakers and a 55" LCD. Or something. I dont really know for sure, the Dana 630's sound awesome already.

asari
Jul 8, 2008

Mugmoor posted:

Or they go overboard and buy a Crestron processor and 8x remote.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Walked posted:

Place is still a mess; handling a full house on your own = pain in the rear end.

Next up is a fair of floorstanding speakers and a 55" LCD. Or something. I dont really know for sure, the Dana 630's sound awesome already.

Hey Panasonic XR55 buddy. That was a great receiver in its day.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BattleHork posted:

Hey Panasonic XR55 buddy. That was a great receiver in its day.

Still doing its job, nothing in my setup it cannot handle gracefully. Does need a revamp, but like I said - owning a house alone = other priorities. Ugh.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Writequit, that is a seriously badass place

army_of_babies
Dec 5, 2004
Fighting for your color TVs

Not an Anthem posted:

Writequit, that is a seriously badass place

I was going to say the same thing. I love how unique every square inch of that house is - it's possibly one of the most cozy homes I've seen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreadfulwater
May 13, 2005

Murder Machine
pictures could be better, but its so loving dark down here. it's a dedicated media space. period

*Samsung 40" A530
*Mirage M7Si Mains
*Mirage Mcsi Center
*Mirage BPS150i Sub
*Mirage Om2 Surrounds
*Onkyo SR TX-806 Receiver
*Xbox360
*Wireless Keyboard and mouse
*comfy sectional from Bassett
*buttermilk pancakes I made from scratch.

My pc (i5 750, radeon 4890 bla bla), internet, router, is behind that wall the tv is on in the adjacent storage room. ran gang boxes through the wall, Ect.. everything is integrated with my system and flat screen. Receiver provides the switching. I have always wanted to do this ,and the wife is happy that there are no visible wires.