Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

Dark funeral completely slipped my mind until I read about that album this morning. I'm enjoying re-catching up on their stuff.

I've never realy been able to get into any of their stuff. What am I missing? Still yet, I'm a big Darkthrone whore and anxiously await their brand of crusty blackened material. The release Nocturno did with Sarke was pretty grand too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I've never realy been able to get into any of their stuff. What am I missing?

Certainly nothing you can't find in other hyperblast-y bands.

I had partials of the Attera Totus Sanctus and Diabolis Interium albums (and the King Diamond (The Trial?) cover from Teach Children to Worship Satan) in a giant mp3 package from a buddy. I like a lot of my BM fast and raw, and the few songs that I had I enjoyed.

Going back and listening today, there really isn't much that sets them apart imo, but it's still wholesome family style Swedish black metal.

e: clarity

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 16, 2009

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's no real need to bother with Dark Funeral. You'd probably be better off listening to bands like Craft and Pest (the german one, the 'Vado Mori' album in particular) who aren't really anything special either but they manage to pretty much perfectly execute their chosen style of black metal.

Also, listen to Sargatanas if you like that stuff that is basically death metal mixed with black metal. 'Knights of the Southern Cross' is a great album.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

MrBling posted:

There's no real need to bother with Dark Funeral. You'd probably be better off listening to bands like Craft and Pest (the german one, the 'Vado Mori' album in particular) who aren't really anything special either but they manage to pretty much perfectly execute their chosen style of black metal.

Also, listen to Sargatanas if you like that stuff that is basically death metal mixed with black metal. 'Knights of the Southern Cross' is a great album.

I like Dark Funeral :colbert:. I get from them what Dimmu Borgir has refused to give me for the last decade.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

MrBling posted:

There's a new Countess album coming this year and I'm going to assume that it will be the best black metal album released in the year.

Where should I start with Countess?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bubble Bathory posted:

It kinda depends what sort of black metal you like.

The official Countess site ( http://www.barbarianwrath.org/Countess/ ) has two songs up from each album so that is probably the easiest way to find out what you'd like. The earlier albums are more traditional black metal and from Spawn of Steel and onwards Orlok is more or less mixing old school heavy metal with black metal.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
My copy of Privilegivm arrived today and it's loving incredible. Hands-down the best Secrets of the Moon album, for my money.

Can't wait to see them in a few days :ohdear:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

DethklokworkOrange posted:

I like Dark Funeral :colbert:. I get from them what Dimmu Borgir has refused to give me for the last decade.

But Dimmu still make shite black metal? :confused:

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Bubble Bathory posted:

It's pretty far from most of their other stuff, but The Shining Swords of Hate is one of my absolute favourite BM albums ever. Bleak, distant, atmospheric, droning goodness all around.

Here, have a list of personal black metal favourites:
Hirilorn - Legends of Evil and Eternal Death (epic and melodic, no homo)
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane (dark, slow stuff)
Craft - Terror Propaganda (black 'n roll kind of stuff)
Von - Satanic Blood (Really, really old school stuff, from before everyone went Norwegian)
Nagelfar - Hünengrab im Herbst (weird Germans. Also check out the pirate album. And the one in between [where there is techno beats])
Aura Noir - Black Thrash Attack (Self describing)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

saigon_15 posted:

It's pretty far from most of their other stuff, but The Shining Swords of Hate is one of my absolute favourite BM albums ever. Bleak, distant, atmospheric, droning goodness all around.

It is a great album, Orlok has some amusing things to say about it as well.

quote:

In September and October '98 we had recorded the Revenge albums, but we didn't do much after that. We rehearsed a couple of times in early '99, but we didn't really have anything to work towards, not to mention the fact that we were all busy with other things as well, so for the remainder of the year COUNTESS didn't do anything, with the exception of the album From The Wells Of Chaos that I recorded on my own in the summer, but quickly discarded as not good enough to be put out.

In October '99, I came up with the idea to record another new album, even though both Revenge albums had not been released yet. I wanted to record something really filthy and sick, something even worse then The Gospel, something that would be only about atmosphere and nothing else. Something in the vein of the Permafrost demo, which had been the reason I'd joined COUNTESS in the first place back in '92.

I didn't really write the songs for this album; I just programmed some rhythm parts (as sloppy as possible) and started playing, improvising as I went along. Recording again in my own Black Lust Studio, I laid down the bass tracks using my Ibanez SB 900 LK, plugged straight into the mixing desk through my Boss ODB-3, and then did the guitar parts on my Ibanez RX 350 BK, also plugged straight into the mixing desk through my Boss HM-3 and Zoom 1202. I did the rhythm guitar parts three times to get a really thick sound. While I was playing the first rhythm guitar on Total War, I broke a string. Instead of playing that part over, I just left the breaking of the string on the album. That's the kind of album this was supposed to be.

When time came to do the vocals, I decided to experiment a little. I feared my usual screams would not suit this kind of music very well, so I used different techniques. I think this worked quite well, even though I realize some people don't like the vocals on this album.

Even though it took me just two weeks to write and record this album (it was recorded between October 16th and 29th), I still think it's a really good album. Like The Gospel, this album is a statement: Black Metal should be filthy and sick and unclean and have no commercial appeal whatsoever. I'm confident the point came across. Together with The Gospel and DAWNFALL‘s Dominance Of Darkness, this album has to be one of the top three contenders for ‘worst album ever.'

It is just typical Orlok. After recording two full lengths and before releasing them he recorded and discarded another full length album only to then go and write and record Shining Swords in two weeks.

Also, I wonder how you program a drum machine to be sloppy.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

saigon_15 posted:

Aura Noir - Black Thrash Attack (Self describing)

This is fun.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

saigon_15 posted:

Here, have a list of personal black metal favourites: :black101:

Sweet, thanks a lot dude.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

aliencowboy posted:

This is fun.

A better album for drinking beer in the backseat of a beat up compact car heading for some festival, there is not.

It is also suitable for many other occations involving beer.

Bubble Bathory posted:

Sweet, thanks a lot dude.

My pleasure. It's been a while since I visited this part of my record collection.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

saigon_15 posted:

Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane (dark, slow stuff)

Under Ein Blodraud Maane is a phenomenal album; it's a shame their later albums took a turn for the lovely.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Gr31lly posted:

But Dimmu still make shite black metal? :confused:

No argument here. But their layered, studio sound can be appreciated if set to better music (if that makes any sense).

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Razor posted:

Under Ein Blodraud Maane is a phenomenal album; it's a shame their later albums took a turn for the lovely.

I've heard nothing after Under... should I just remain blissfully ignorant?

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Vilosophe is ok.

Razor
May 9, 2004

saigon_15 posted:

I've heard nothing after Under... should I just remain blissfully ignorant?

Yeah, unless you like avant-garde trip rock.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Razor posted:

This band is intriguing, what album by them would you recommend that has this style?

Onto black metal, if anyone is not aware of Saros, they released an album out his year! it's odd progressive bm.

Cold Day fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 18, 2009

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Nothing comes close to Vediog Svaor in terms of odd black metal that still sounds good really. Except possibly Zaratustra - It Was A Night, which remains one of my favourite black metal albums despite having, well, so much wrong with it.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Cold Day posted:

This band is intriguing, what album by them would you recommend that has this style?

I can't say I'd recommend them; again, I think the only Manes album worth listening to is their first. That said, Vilosophe and How the World Came to an End are their lovely trip-rock albums.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
I really enjoy How the World Came to An End :shobon:

Haven't heard their other albums though.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Razor posted:

Well, now I'll have to check it out.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

THAT'S THE JOKE.

DethklokworkOrange posted:

No argument here. But their layered, studio sound can be appreciated if set to better music (if that makes any sense).
One of those bands that you can tell could easily start making good music if they weren't so busy sniffing their own "symphonic" assholes.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Lately I've been pretty much possessed by Xasthur, Leviathan, Shining, and Judas Iscariot. What's some other good black metal in the same vein?

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Firstly, make sure you have the following:

Leviathan: Massive Conspiracy Against All Life (x1000), The Blind Wound, the Xasthur/Leviathan split (this is all I have, I should really expand it, but these are all excellent)

Xasthur: Nocturnal Poisoning (not so keen on the rest)

Shining: Everything

You may want to check out recent Mutilation, particularly Sorrow Galaxies. I haven't explored the genre nearly as well as it deserves, so I don't think I can offer much more in that particular vein. As far as more mainstream depressive stuff goes, Songs to Leave by Forgotten Tomb is a mainstay.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
OK, I need the most knowledgeable metalheads to crawl out of the woodwork and help me with this one. The song Abigor - Liberty Rises a Diagonal Flame has lyrics to it, but almost incomplete in the book that comes with the CD, and are the same all over the internet. I would like to get the complete lyrics to this song and cannot for the life of me find them, ANY help would be appreciated. The lyrics go something like this:

Oh withering serpent,
you all shall be enthroned in metal
in the end,
where liberty rises a diagonal flame
encountered by source

[4 lines of something]
[3 lines of something]

Deconstruction of fundamental nominalism - Total confusion of the self
Is this land in God's possession - This land of frost
No boundaries - Ultimate consequence shall be death
Finally good and evil count down their death
good and evil just watches [something]

No bitterness - just empty shells of human flesh - No creation without a room - No being without a point of reference...

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

So, Secrets of the Moon were pretty good. Didn't see the transvestite bassist coming though.

Solstafir were loving phenomenal. I have not heard them before (and apparently they don't sound as good on record) but holy poo poo.

edit: I am listening to Köld on Spotify and yeah it sounds good. Omg.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 21, 2009

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Aschlafly posted:

Lately I've been pretty much possessed by Xasthur, Leviathan, Shining, and Judas Iscariot. What's some other good black metal in the same vein?

Dude missed another good Leviathan split, the one with Sapthuran. His Massive Conspiracy Against All Life sounds a bit like late Deathspell Omega, whose latest few releases have been loving amazing.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Aschlafly posted:

Argharus (thanks, Caucasus Belli!) sound like Shining and the album "Pleištas" is very good.

You'll probably also like The Ruins of Beverast. I love their/his album "Unlock the Shrine". And Nortt are more kind of funeral doom than black metal, but if you like Xasthur, they're definitely worth a go.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So Infernus has posted two clips from the upcoming album from the new Gorgoroth album, Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt. This actually sounds very promising to me.

http://www.gorgoroth.info/discography/

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

So Infernus has posted two clips from the upcoming album from the new Gorgoroth album, Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt. This actually sounds very promising to me.

gently caress yeah, the songs sound great, but the production sounds a bit wonky. Can't put my finger on it, too clean maybe? Also sounds like they're throwing back to the early days style-wise, which is fine by me.

Asklund is a beast on the kit too.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Pest's vocals sound great! Completely sick and diseased sounding. I'm excited for the new release.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Oh poo poo. Agreed that the production is a bit too clean, but it sounds like this could be a solid album.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Yeah. Even as a man who has a verging-on-gay crush on Gaahl, this stuff sounds goooood.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

THAT'S THE JOKE.
oh poo poo gorgoroth :unsmigghh:

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday

Kaiho posted:

So, Secrets of the Moon were pretty good. Didn't see the transvestite bassist coming though.

Solstafir were loving phenomenal. I have not heard them before (and apparently they don't sound as good on record) but holy poo poo.

edit: I am listening to Köld on Spotify and yeah it sounds good. Omg.

Agree with all of that. 78 Days In The Desert from Köld is one of the best instrumental album intros i've heard in ages, and I'm really glad they opened the set with all 8 minutes of it.

On reflection, we may have been wrong about the SOTM bassist though:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I think that still is male.

Hell, this is supposedly male (also, German):

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Don't make me start cracking out the visual kei pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I was actually a little disappointed with the new Gorgoroth clips, but as mentioned it might the production. It sounded a little different than what I expected. My bandmate saw them live at the Hole in the Sky festival in Bergen a few weeks ago, and apparently they kicked all kinds of rear end.