Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I want some books about psychopaths. People who have NO moral values and the destruction that causes. Oh, also some books about modern-day assassins. If the books combine these two things, even better!

Epiphyte posted:

I'm looking for a good historical overview of the Pacific Campaign in WW2. There are a lot of great memoirs that focus specigfically on battles like Iwo or Guadacanal, but I'd like a broader perspective of the entire Pacific theater.

You would probably enjoy Flyboys, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

Tumble posted:

I want some books about psychopaths. People who have NO moral values and the destruction that causes.

Jack Vance's Bad Ronald, about a nerd who loses himself in his own fantasy world and becomes a killer. The tv-movie adaptation dulcified the character somewhat, but in the novel he's way more creepy and violent. Here's a review comparing novel and movie.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The basic fable synopsis of Journey to the West interests me. Is there a relatively entertaining, affordable paperback version that is considered superior?

Also may be known as Monkey to some of you...

Archibald Cox
Feb 11, 2005
How dare you, Mr. Agnew

Tumble posted:

I want some books about psychopaths. People who have NO moral values and the destruction that causes. Oh, also some books about modern-day assassins. If the books combine these two things, even better!

Have a look at Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time and Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
What would be the best Nabokov book to read which isn't Lolita? Both in terms of quality, and how well it represents Nabokov's style.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Im wondering if there are any fantasy novels out there that uses tropes and character archtypes usally seen in western novels. Basicaly a wild west fantasy novel.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

Im wondering if there are any fantasy novels out there that uses tropes and character archtypes usally seen in western novels. Basicaly a wild west fantasy novel.

The Flight of Michael McBride?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I liked the first two Dexter books and hated the third. How is the fourth one? Is it more of that "Lets toss out what made the first two good books, and make something incredibly lame!"

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Tumble posted:

This isn't quite no moral values, but the first Dexter book is actually OK.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Feenix posted:

The basic fable synopsis of Journey to the West interests me. Is there a relatively entertaining, affordable paperback version that is considered superior?

Also may be known as Monkey to some of you...

Arthur Waley's abridged version, called Monkey: Folk Novel of China is a really fun read, and might be a good starting point, but it's not the complete version of Journey to the West (according to the Wikipedia, Waley's book is only 30 of 100 total chapters in the full version). I haven't read the full version, although I'm tempted to, now that this post reminded me of Monkey, because Monkey is really great.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
I'm looking for recommendations for intelligent, historical novels about the occult/secret societies/conspiracy theories. Basically "I love Umberto Eco, where do I go now?"

Dudikoff
Mar 30, 2003

I'm looking for books taking place in the first half of the 20th Century in large cities - similar to The Great Gatsby, Atlas Shrugged, A Winters Tale, Of Human Bondage, Razor's Edge, Down and Out in Paris & London, and A Devil in the White City. They can be Fiction or Non, but need to capture the big city feel of that time period. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

Dudikoff posted:

I'm looking for books taking place in the first half of the 20th Century in large cities - similar to The Great Gatsby, Atlas Shrugged, A Winters Tale, Of Human Bondage, Razor's Edge, Down and Out in Paris & London, and A Devil in the White City. They can be Fiction or Non, but need to capture the big city feel of that time period. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I highly recommend Manhattan Transfer by John Dos Pasos

Dudikoff
Mar 30, 2003

Sweatpants Baby posted:

I highly recommend Manhattan Transfer by John Dos Pasos

Thanks, I just ordered it. Any thoughts on books set in Europe or the UK around that same time period? No Hemingway though, please.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
On the fiction side you could go for Alfred Doblin's Berlin Alexanderplatz, Andrei Bely's Petersburg or Andre Breton's Nadja (set in Paris), or on the non-fiction side of things something like Frederic Morton's A Nervous Splendour(Vienna) or Joseph Roth's What I Saw(Berlin).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Shameless posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for intelligent, historical novels about the occult/secret societies/conspiracy theories. Basically "I love Umberto Eco, where do I go now?"

I asked for the same thing and was pointed in the direction of The Club Dumas by Perez-Reverte and An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears. I haven't read either of them yet, so I cannot comment as to their quality.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I asked for the same thing and was pointed in the direction of The Club Dumas by Perez-Reverte and An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears. I haven't read either of them yet, so I cannot comment as to their quality.

I've read both of these already so can comment. They're both excellent.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Shameless posted:

I've read both of these already so can comment. They're both excellent.

Good, at least I've got someone backing me up here. ;)

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

Shameless posted:

John Crowley's AEgypto sequence.

Also R. A. Lafferty's Fourth Mansions. This one is wackier but still literate (Actually, it's very loosely based on "The Interior Mansions" of St. Therese of Avila).

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I would like a book similar to Charbon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union and Robert Harris's books (Fatherland/Pompeii/Imperium). I guess you call it historical fiction?

Lay it on me Book Barn!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Ewar Woowar posted:

I would like a book similar to Charbon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union and Robert Harris's books (Fatherland/Pompeii/Imperium). I guess you call it historical fiction?

Lay it on me Book Barn!

It's from a sub-genre of sci-fi called "Alternate History" IIRC. That's a bit vague - if you like alternate history in general the best novel, bar none is The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 series is pretty good too, but Turtledove isn't really that creative and it shows (the books are just a reshuffling of history in the end, but fun popcorn stuff) they begin with How Few Remain.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

criptozoid posted:

John Crowley's AEgypto sequence.

Also R. A. Lafferty's Fourth Mansions. This one is wackier but still literate (Actually, it's very loosely based on "The Interior Mansions" of St. Therese of Avila).

Both sound great, I'll definitely give them a try. Thanks

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

sewermancer posted:

Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 series is pretty good too, but Turtledove isn't really that creative and it shows (the books are just a reshuffling of history in the end, but fun popcorn stuff) they begin with How Few Remain.

This series starts out ok but it gets really bad as it goes on.

Dudikoff
Mar 30, 2003

inktvis posted:

On the fiction side you could go for Alfred Doblin's Berlin Alexanderplatz, Andrei Bely's Petersburg or Andre Breton's Nadja (set in Paris), or on the non-fiction side of things something like Frederic Morton's A Nervous Splendour(Vienna) or Joseph Roth's What I Saw(Berlin).

Thanks. What I Saw caught my interest and seems like a good place to start with your list.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Skutter posted:

My hubby keeps recommending Raptor Red to me. Here's a quick Wiki quote:

It's not necessarily about the evolution and science, but kind of a world-building thing. I have it on my reading list but I just haven't picked it up yet. It sounds really fascinating though. Let me know how it is if you get it.

A bit late in replying, but your recommendation led me to The Dinosaur Heresies by the same author which I picked up for about $4 second hand and seems to be exactly what I was looking for. So thanks!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I really want to read a book about time travel that is told in chronological order. Do any decent ones exist?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BlueBayou posted:

I really want to read a book about time travel that is told in chronological order. Do any decent ones exist?

Heinlein's "By His Bootstraps," though it's a short story. Maybe.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Heinlein's "By His Bootstraps," though it's a short story. Maybe.

I was thinking less "time travel paradox-a-thon" and more "wacky adventures of misfits and their malfunctioning time machine told in chronological order"

Also:

Is there a female equivalent to "I hope they serve beer in hell" or "I'm having more fun than you"? I've read Chelsea Handler's books, but its just not the same...

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'll just start by saying I know almost nothing about literature. (So don't hesitate to recommend me anything!)

I'm looking for a book that contains philosophical meaning, symbolism, or otherwise has a deeper meaning than the plot itself. I've just finished 1984 by George Orwell, and I must admit it has struck in interest in me with books and literature which I haven't had for about 10 years. Some of the books I have looked at which I am thinking of picking up are Atlus Shrugged by Ayn Rand, Fear + Loathing in Las Vegas (Thompson), Brave New World by Huxley, and anything I can find by Krishnamurti.

I also enjoy books about crazy adventures (hence the Fear and Loathing, which I will probably buy soon), and also about experiences with nature (I love Jack London's short stories).

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

The Man Who Folded Himself by Gerrold (?)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

The Man Who Folded Himself by Gerrold (?)

I don't know if it's 'decent', especially as it's sometimes referred to as The Man Who hosed Himself but I'm going on your "wacky adventures of misfits and their malfunctioning time machine told in chronological order" clarification.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

fritz posted:

I don't know if it's 'decent', especially as it's sometimes referred to as The Man Who hosed Himself but I'm going on your "wacky adventures of misfits and their malfunctioning time machine told in chronological order" clarification.

But its not a wacky bunch of misfits :[

I think what I want just might not exist, at least in more popular literature. If I were a write, id be inspired to fill the void. But since I'm not, all I can do is pout.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

coolbian57 posted:

I'll just start by saying I know almost nothing about literature. (So don't hesitate to recommend me anything!)

I'm looking for a book that contains philosophical meaning, symbolism, or otherwise has a deeper meaning than the plot itself. I've just finished 1984 by George Orwell, and I must admit it has struck in interest in me with books and literature which I haven't had for about 10 years. Some of the books I have looked at which I am thinking of picking up are Atlus Shrugged by Ayn Rand, Fear + Loathing in Las Vegas (Thompson), Brave New World by Huxley, and anything I can find by Krishnamurti.

I also enjoy books about crazy adventures (hence the Fear and Loathing, which I will probably buy soon), and also about experiences with nature (I love Jack London's short stories).

Fear and Loathing doesn't really have a deeper meaning or philosophy or anything. It's pretty much all there on the surface.

If you're interested in something a little deeper, try something by Mark Twain (Roughing It, for example - it's both got a bit of depth to it and is a book about crazy adventures through a yet-to-be-settled America).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does anyone know of any scholarly books on the occult? I've been looking around but haven't found anything outside of the pseudo-scientific.

xcolour
Jan 11, 2009
I'm looking for nonfiction dealing with conspiracy theories and pseudo-science. I've read The Demon Haunted World and Fads and Fallacies. I enjoyed both, but they both had agendas (agendas I more or less agree with, but agendas nonetheless). What I'm looking for now is a more dispassionate examination. This book (Cults, Conspiracies, & Secret Societies) looks kind of like what I'm interested in, but it doesn't seem to get very good reviews on Amazon or elsewhere, stemming in part from the fact that it's fairly opinionated. I really enjoyed the conspiracies RSF we had a while back, but I didn't save any links. I'm looking for more depth into things like the Denver airport, reptilian humanoids, and how they relate to the New World Order.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Casimir Radon posted:

Does anyone know of any scholarly books on the occult? I've been looking around but haven't found anything outside of the pseudo-scientific.

I don't know how scholarly they are, but you can probably read Montague Summers's stuff.
The History of Witchcraft and Demonology, 1926
The Vampire: His Kith and Kin, 1928
The Vampire in Europe, 1929
The Werewolf, 1933
A Popular History of Witchcraft, 1937
Witchcraft and Black Magic, 1946
The Physical Phenomena of Mysticism, 1947.

I've read Vampire in Europe and History of Witchcraft and Demonology and they were pretty interesting. Lots of folktales and legends and that kind of thing.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
I read High Fidelity by Nick Hornby and absolutely adored it. I was in the bookstore the other day and I was checking out his books. If I loved High Fidelity, will I like his other books? Recommendations?

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

What are some other good books that tackle the same subject that Guns, Germs and Steel does? I remember reading on here that GG&S was pretty flawed and someone recommended a couple other books that they considered to be better-written and not logically unsound, but I didn't write them down and I can't remember for the life of me what they were called.

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is somewhat off-topic but I just finished "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, which was recommended in this thread. Is there a thread for it in Book Barn? I checked the first 6 pages, but since search is still down I can't look for it that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Irish Revenge posted:

This is somewhat off-topic but I just finished "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, which was recommended in this thread. Is there a thread for it in Book Barn? I checked the first 6 pages, but since search is still down I can't look for it that easily.

Bam: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3108939