Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Writer Cath posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't figured out the internet.
Nothing of the sort. It's a personal ritual son!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Didn't Dale mention having a Jamaican ancestor at one point?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

ChaosMonkey posted:

Didn't Dale mention having a Jamaican ancestor at one point?

Yup, in an earlier episode explaining why Joseph was dark skinned, I believe the episode where Peggy finally figures it out and almost tells him

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Writer Cath posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't figured out the internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3C_wLCZ18M

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

rino86 posted:

The best Gribble rap up would have been for Joseph to turn out to actually be Dale's son, his appearance explained by Dale having a Cherokee grandfather that he never talks about.

I just like it when Dale's ignorance and naivety is rewarded.

How do you explain Kate then?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

Yup, in an earlier episode explaining why Joseph was dark skinned, I believe the episode where Peggy finally figures it out and almost tells him

I thought the Jamaican grandmother story was a cover that Peggy never really saw through until that episode.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I thought the Jamaican grandmother story was a cover that Peggy never really saw through until that episode.

I don't see how it could be a cover though if Dale said it and he fully believes Joseph is his son(even if aliens in reality stole his sperm and impregnated Nancy)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Here guys, awesome article on King of the Hill. (written two years ago, but still)
http://www.texasobserver.org/article.php?aid=2652

(unless it was posted already, in which case I apologize)

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Amused to Death posted:

I don't see how it could be a cover though if Dale said it and he fully believes Joseph is his son(even if aliens in reality stole his sperm and impregnated Nancy)

His wife told him she did research and found the relative. You're also forgetting that this is the same man that came up with the conclusion at one point that his son was an alien.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

How do you explain Kate then?

It can all be explained with aliens even Joseph being dark skinned they just screwed with Dales sperm to create a super warrior to fight the mongol hordes.

Mach5
Aug 1, 2004

Shatfaced!

Spook posted:

It isn't a joke, it is a mistake.

the "actual" Arlen zip code is 78104, this typo is 73104.

Oh, you're right. It would be a pretty far stretch to imagine that the writers of 'King of the Hill' would ever use something as mundane as a typo on something like a driver's license, birth certificate, etc, to lead to all sorts of hilarity based on cultural shame. Especially if said mistake implied that the person in question was from New York, or, God forbid, Oklahoma.

Mach5 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 17, 2009

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

CommunistMojo posted:

It can all be explained with aliens even Joseph being dark skinned they just screwed with Dales sperm to create a super warrior to fight the mongol hordes.

This is probably why Dale sympathizes with the invading Mongol hordes of 2083.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Can someone ID the episode this Principal Moss quote is from?

"Have you heard of a thing called the serenity prayer Hank? Cause this is one of those things I can't change."

Its probably my favorite Moss quote.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

BlueBayou posted:

Can someone ID the episode this Principal Moss quote is from?

"Have you heard of a thing called the serenity prayer Hank? Cause this is one of those things I can't change."

Its probably my favorite Moss quote.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Alamo

My favorite quotes from the entire show is a Principal Moss line from Father of the Bribe, when the school officials think Connie is suicidal after breaking up with Bobby.

"I gotta make sure your kids aren't planning some kind of 'I jump, you jump' Dungeons and Dragons crap."

That whole episode is pretty drat great. "Hank, I am not on trial here. Kahn and Minh are, and possibly Bobby and Connie, but not me." And Dale's pirate radio station that only reaches three houses...

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 18, 2009

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Oh god, Dale saying the station was bought by foreign investors and then handing the mic to Octavio was gold.

I like Danny Trejo as an actor so anytime Octavio is on makes me smile.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Crotch Bat posted:

Oh god, Dale saying the station was bought by foreign investors and then handing the mic to Octavio was gold.

I like Danny Trejo as an actor so anytime Octavio is on makes me smile.

Or Enrique.

Octavio is who you expect Trejo to play, Enrique is icing on the awesome cake.

They put *salmon* in the fish tacos!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I want to play monopoly with Enrique.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I finally got around to watching the finale, and it was pretty swwet (good, but I mean in a nice :unsmith: way). Especially since KOTH just kind of...clicked for me a few years ago. I used to watch it when I was younger, but I didn't really get the understated humor of a lot of things. The bullshit surround its cancellation proves there's no justice in this world.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

"...as I diagnosed yesterday..."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ozma posted:

"...as I diagnosed yesterday..."

Or when Bobby became allergic to Ladybird.

"As I told the doctor..."

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
"Peggy, you were right about yesterday"
"I know, Hank, but you need to be more specific."

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

They had Little Lupe on tonight, which is good because it's the best Peggy episode and has that fantastic moment where the female cop pulls Peggy over to size her up and Peggy says she's one "cool customer" afterward.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ozma posted:

They had Little Lupe on tonight, which is good because it's the best Peggy episode and has that fantastic moment where the female cop pulls Peggy over to size her up and Peggy says she's one "cool customer" afterward.

Heh, we've got our introduction to Thatherton :argh: in Canada tonight. Always a good episode.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Man, am I sad to see this show go.

King of the Hill helped keep me sane through college. The university library had all the DVDs. I was that guy who basically slept in the library most nights studying or working on papers, and whenever I needed a break, I'd just go downstairs, grab a KOTH dvd off the shelf and watch for an hour or so. I liked the show before, but this practice made me a diehard fan. Now that I'm in grad school, it was like Christmas when I found out [adult swim] picked the show up.

Just sayin' it makes you feel more like a man. Montana.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When I was seventeen or nineteen, I can't remember which, my Uncle Pete had a casual acquaintanceship with The Man. Still does as far as I know. I had the opportunity to write a spec-script for King of the Hill and knew, for a fact, that it would've wound up in the hands of Mike Judge. He may not have read it, but he would have gotten it.

The only concept I could come up with at the time, which was relevant in 2001, was the idea of the Hills' favorite Luby's cafeteria being turned into a Starbucks (It was more relevant back then) with a B-story of Bobby and Joseph repeatedly debunking Dale's crazy theories only to discover he needed them to get by his daily life when the A and B stories collided with a crazy theory about Starbucks.

It was poo poo. I knew it was poo poo. I knew I was too young and had no business turning a script into a man I'd admired since his career took off.

I told my Uncle Pete that I was flattered he would even ask Judge about me, but that I couldn't in good conscience use his friendship (alleged friendship, anyway) to further my career.

Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I'd have buckled down and written something I actually liked and gotten it into the man's hands.

Edited for memory fuckage.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 20, 2009

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
If I realized a year or so sooner just how much I had loved the show, I would've tried my hand at a script as well. Knowing the characters so well and having such an appreciation for them and their signature mannerisms is a drat fine base as long as you can get some solid skeletal scripts ideas in there too.

livingfruitvirus did work on the goode family. He probably knows a lot of behind the scenes secrets!

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 20, 2009

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

The only concept I could come up with at the time, which was relevant in 2001, was the idea of the Hills' favorite Luby's cafeteria being turned into a Starbucks (It was more relevant back then) with a B-story of Bobby and Joseph repeatedly debunking Dale's crazy theories only to discover he needed them to get by his daily life when the A and B stories collided with a crazy theory about Starbucks.

I think that sounds funny. :(

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ozma posted:

I think that sounds funny. :(

Yeah Hank BUHHH!ing about Starbucks would make sense to me.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

My favorite quote is when The General shows up, and he's like to Khan, "PUT MP3S ON MY WATCH! DRAG AND DROP! DRAG AND DROP!"

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It makes me think of old people saying "dragon drop."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah Hank BUHHH!ing about Starbucks would make sense to me.
That, and a callback to "Thanks for the latte, Kenneth" are the only two jokes I remember. I wish I'd have kept my first draft. Not only did I not send it to the guy, I was so ashamed of it one night I got drunk and deleted it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

LividLiquid posted:

That, and a callback to "Thanks for the latte, Kenneth" are the only two jokes I remember. I wish I'd have kept my first draft. Not only did I not send it to the guy, I was so ashamed of it one night I got drunk and deleted it.

Really you probably just have to start with Hank being shocked about something and work backwards from there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Well there wwas also a whole thing were Hank hates Luby's (I think it might by Ludy's or Luly's in the show. But Luby's is a real Texas thing.) and only goes there because Bobby likes it, so nobody can figure out why he's fighting so hard to keep the Starbucks out, but then in the end it turned out that's where Peggy told him she was pregnant, which would be kind of a big deal anyway, but was a bigger deal because of his narrow urethra.

Looking back on it, I totally should've turned it in. Even if it sucked, it's really not that bad of an idea for a teenager.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
"Are you gay, Hank?"
"What!? No! I sell Propane for a living!"

That always cracks me up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It doesn't bother your that your dad is gay, Dale?
What? No! I've been friends with John Redcorn for years...

I think that's how it goes. Also in the Thatherton episode, Boomhauer and John Redcorn are hanging out.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

It doesn't bother your that your dad is gay, Dale?
What? No! I've been friends with John Redcorn for years...

I think that's how it goes. Also in the Thatherton episode, Boomhauer and John Redcorn are hanging out.

I love the one where Bill is pretending to be gay and he's out at the club and the women he's with tell him someone's eyeing him up and it turns out to be John Redcorn giving him an incredibly confused stare.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

robot roll call posted:

I love the one where Bill is pretending to be gay and he's out at the club and the women he's with tell him someone's eyeing him up and it turns out to be John Redcorn giving him an incredibly confused stare.

Just came to post this. Love that scene.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah, I love the early Halloween episode. Hank remembering what a bad kid he was then being sad and going to call him mom.

Sad thing is when I later leaned that the "SATANIST!!!!!!!" thing was actually based on reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, I love the early Halloween episode. Hank remembering what a bad kid he was then being sad and going to call him mom.

Sad thing is when I later leaned that the "SATANIST!!!!!!!" thing was actually based on reality.

Hank used to be kind of a dick, especially when he tells Bobby he knows how it feels to be bullied and the flashback is Hank yelling "Hey fatty! You are fat!" at some fat kid.