Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Recently binged through Day Break and Kidnapped for the first time since I originally watched them back when they came out. Both are pretty good, especially Day Break.

I'm still looking for more stuff to watch. I heard True Blood gets a lot better in season 2 so I might try suffering through season 1 of that. I only ever saw the first episode but I didn't like it and I've never been a huge fan of the actress who plays the main girl.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but I finally got around to watching Rome. Maybe it was all the hype after waiting so long to watch it but, while I thought it was definitely a great show, I didn't find it mind blowing or anything. In fact I actually enjoyed The Tudors more, overall.

On another note what's the general goon opinion on Crash? I don't think I've ever even seen it mentioned in TVIV. I'm always looking for decent serial dramas to watch. What kind of show is Crash and is it worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

I got through 1 and a half seasons of BSG and got kinda bored. Looking back I feel like it's time to rewatch The Wire. I'm not so sure though, that's a big thing to take on.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

SMP posted:

I got through 1 and a half seasons of BSG and got kinda bored. Looking back I feel like it's time to rewatch The Wire. I'm not so sure though, that's a big thing to take on.

Just stop now until you have an epiphany, then go back to BSG

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Being that we're both Bruce Campbell fans, I made a deal with my girlfriend where if she watched a cheesy Bruce Campbell series from my childhood—The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.—I'd watch one from her adolescence—Jack of All Trades. So I've basically been bouncing back and forth between the two. For whatever reason, she didn't like Brisco and only lasted until Big Smith got thrown out of the train with the Orb, but I still dig both shows, so I don't give a poo poo.

And since I was watching really corny short-lived shows anyway, I also started watching M.A.N.T.I.S.. It's the funniest thing. When I was like 12 watching this I thought I was watching really intelligent, sophisticated science fiction. That show is the stupidest loving thing I've ever seen except possibly Hey Dude. That show is stupider than Heavy Metal would be live action. It's so bad it's awesome. If every line Roger Rees said was "Cheers got canned and I need the loving money," he would still be the best part of that show. Carl Lumbly's natural superhero voice and the show in Vancouver make it even better. (For some reason, I'm a total sucker for TV shows filmed in Vancouver; I think it's because I'm also a massive Sliders fan.) I heard in the last episode M.A.N.T.I.S. dies in a fight with an invisible dinosaur. I am so pumped about working my way there.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

canyonero posted:

I really hate Ziggy.

Ziggy ends up having one of the most moving stories in the entire season. In my opinion anyway.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

sos posted:

Ziggy ends up having one of the most moving stories in the entire season. In my opinion anyway.

Yeah man, that duck rules.

Anyway, mid-way through Season 3 of The Wire, and it's making all of today's TV seem less enjoyable. Started watching The X Files from the start too, but it really seems all over the place. Maybe I'll save it for next Summer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It sounds strange but Ziggy became retroactively OK in my book after Generation Kill. Mostly because Ray is basically Ziggy except actually good at his job / not a gently caress up. I hated the character during The Wire, but now his arc seems really fascinating/tragic.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

And since I was watching really corny short-lived shows anyway, I also started watching M.A.N.T.I.S.. It's the funniest thing. When I was like 12 watching this I thought I was watching really intelligent, sophisticated science fiction. That show is the stupidest loving thing I've ever seen except possibly Hey Dude. That show is stupider than Heavy Metal would be live action. It's so bad it's awesome. If every line Roger Rees said was "Cheers got canned and I need the loving money," he would still be the best part of that show. Carl Lumbly's natural superhero voice and the show in Vancouver make it even better. (For some reason, I'm a total sucker for TV shows filmed in Vancouver; I think it's because I'm also a massive Sliders fan.) I heard in the last episode M.A.N.T.I.S. dies in a fight with an invisible dinosaur. I am so pumped about working my way there.

This show was badass as a little kid and I never want to go back and rewatch it to have my opinion on that ruined.

BoogerPrincess
Jun 5, 2007

The Mighty Boosh. I have watched Seasons 1, 2, and 3 over the last month. It is glorious and surreal. It is like a kids show for adults.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

It sounds strange but Ziggy became retroactively OK in my book after Generation Kill. Mostly because Ray is basically Ziggy except actually good at his job / not a gently caress up. I hated the character during The Wire, but now his arc seems really fascinating/tragic.

I didn't like him until after he shot the greek fence and the kid and then sat in the car freaking out it just seemed so real and pretty much how I imagine you would react to something like that.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Binged through Wonderfalls over the last couple of days and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I was honestly pretty nervous that Eric was actually somehow gonna end up with his skanky wife and Jaye would not get a happy ending after all the poo poo she was put through. I don't normally get emotionally attached at all to tv characters but this show definitely broke that trend. Now for the 2nd season of Pushing Daisies which I somehow haven't caught up on yet after not being able to follow it week to week last year.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm now going through Buck Rogers, and I love it!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm still looking for more stuff to watch. I heard True Blood gets a lot better in season 2 so I might try suffering through season 1 of that. I only ever saw the first episode but I didn't like it and I've never been a huge fan of the actress who plays the main girl.

Well I finally got around to watching this and I'm glad I did. Binged through both seasons and found it to be quite watchable, even good, especially the 2nd season. Some pretty funny characters and good story arc, serial drama.

Also binged through the 2nd half of season 2 of Gossip Girl. I don't know why on earth I watch that show. It's so devoid of anything related to quality. It carried me through each episode enough to keep watching but I felt pretty dirty afterwords.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just finished season 1 of the British Coupling on Netflix (instant). I was sorely disappointed. I chuckled maybe once or twice during the whole 6 episode season. But I didn't hate it either, since for some reason kept on watching it.

I had heard such great things about it, and how it was the funniest sitcom ever. I guess my funny bone is broken, because I found it predictable and dull (but still better than much American TV).

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Meow Cadet posted:

I had heard such great things about it, and how it was the funniest sitcom ever. I guess my funny bone is broken, because I found it predictable and dull (but still better than much American TV).

:goonsmugsay:

Seriously, you just have to knock American TV like that? America produces some drat fine quality entertainment.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some. He's still right.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Coupling is just a slightly more clever British knock-off of Friends. It's a decent show, I don't know why anyone would say it's the funniest sitcom ever.

Monsieur.
Aug 27, 2009

by T. Finn

Queej posted:

The Mighty Boosh. I have watched Seasons 1, 2, and 3 over the last month. It is glorious and surreal. It is like a kids show for adults.

I did that last month as well. Liked the 1st few episodes a lot more than the rest though.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Coupling is just a slightly more clever British knock-off of Friends. It's a decent show, I don't know why anyone would say it's the funniest sitcom ever.

Because Jeff is one of the best sitcom characters ever written.

Monsieur.
Aug 27, 2009

by T. Finn

Mu Zeta posted:

Will I like this if I liked Spaced? I've never even heard of coupling.

Monsieur.
Aug 27, 2009

by T. Finn
My favourite thing about english series is that they're usually short so you can binge healthily.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Monsieur. posted:

Will I like this if I liked Spaced? I've never even heard of coupling.

I like Spaced and Coupling but they aren't that similar. If you think Friends is ok then you'll like Coupling. Stop watching when Jeff leaves the show.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

doctor thodt posted:

Some. He's still right.

American TV has been better in the past 10 years than it's been in the past 50.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And it's still 90% poo poo. I don't see what the big deal is :confused:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Foreign TV is terrible as well. The brits gave us Big Brother and Deal or No Deal. Basically the majority of TV from everywhere sucks. Also Torchwood and Primeval, some of the worst dogshit I've seen on the screen

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 23, 2009

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know why people who have seen Coupling think of it as a Friends knock-off. Sure, it has the same number of people, but Friends is about relationships. Coupling is all about (and pretty much only about) sex.

As for its quality, I think it's pretty enjoyable. Very impressive plotting.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I don't know why people who have seen Coupling think of it as a Friends knock-off. Sure, it has the same number of people, but Friends is about relationships. Coupling is all about (and pretty much only about) sex.

Really? Only about sex? Did you even watch the show? I ask because you seem to have missed nearly every single scene involving Steve and Susan. The main "plot" involved their entire relationship, and yes - part of that arc did involve sex, but it was mainly about how they felt about each other.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Jedi posted:

Really? Only about sex? Did you even watch the show? I ask because you seem to have missed nearly every single scene involving Steve and Susan. The main "plot" involved their entire relationship, and yes - part of that arc did involve sex, but it was mainly about how they felt about each other.

Well sure, but it was nearly always framed through sex. Steve usually asserts his desire to be with Susan forever whenever it comes to lesbians in any way (lesbian spank inferno, whenever Jane pretends to be a lesbian). Their first date has breast. Their second date has the speech about a man not knowing whether he's going to get laid or not, whereas the woman does, AND the sock gap. I could go on.

I know it's about Steve and Susan's relationship but there is a demonstrable focus on sex throughout the entire show. Jeff and Patrick are practically entirely concerned with sex until later seasons, and even when Jeff gets his girlfriend in the 3rd year he only really talks about the sex with her.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

I guess we just disagree on how the sex was used. You believe the focus of the show was sex. I think that the show used sex to focus on interpersonal relationships.

Just two sides of the same coin.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Jedi posted:

I guess we just disagree on how the sex was used. You believe the focus of the show was sex. I think that the show used sex to focus on interpersonal relationships.

Just two sides of the same coin.

Yeah, I'm not sure, I think we might have meant the same thing, however I am biased, as Moffat himself says it's a show "about dull people having sex".

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure, I think we might have meant the same thing, however I am biased, as Moffat himself says it's a show "about dull people having sex".

Far be it from me to criticize the master himself. Consider me a scolded Yank.

But no matter what he says - Jeff was not dull.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

SMP posted:

It is always time to rewatch The Wire. Always.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

And it's still 90% poo poo. I don't see what the big deal is :confused:

I'd say it's closer to 30% poo poo. If anything there is too much good TV. I'm far more interested in starting up a new TV series, than watching the latest movie. 10 years ago you would have been called stupid for saying such blasphemy.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Coupling series 1 is good, but series 2 and 3 are where it really leaps up in quality, the cast are all on top form and having a riot together and the writing is sharper, smarter and more elaborate. All those episodes are gold, just avoid series 4 (although the second episode is quite good). The DVD set for series 3 (I think) has a really amusing commentary track on some of the episodes with Moffat and Davenport.

If you like Davenport/good British drama, you might like to check out This Life, which is a show that aired in the late 90s, about a series of twentysomething law graduates just starting their careers and living together in London. It's pretty peerless.

Anybody who enjoys Coupling would probably like The Inbetweeners, which is one of the best comedy shows on brit TV right now. Show follows a few mates growing up at the end of school life (sixth form), basically a spot-on portrayal of friendship and growing up, with masses of knob gags, awkward romances and ripping the piss out of each other. All that good stuff. Two series have aired, the third is commissioned and will arrive next year.

ABC have also asked the two writers to produce a script for a US pilot version. Despite their talent, the only way they can translate it across the Atlantic is to totally adapt into the American high school clique kind of setting, which has already been done to death over the decades (Breakfast Club or American Pie would be somewhere near to what an American Inbetweeners would probably look like). Pretty pointless if you ask me.

--

Myself I have just started watching ER again from the beginning. Amazing how a 94/95 era drama series holds up. It's almost as if it was filmed a good 5-10 years later, because of the writing, acting, directing and production design qualities that were pretty much unheard of outside of that or The X-Files, I guess; it also avoids that cringeworthy 90s schtick that plagued a lot of TV during that period. No episodes in the first season are particularly as amazing as the later ones, but then again, they're all really good and satisfying and of a consistently high quality. I guess I forgot how good it was right from the word go.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 23, 2009

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'd say it's closer to 30% poo poo. If anything there is too much good TV. I'm far more interested in starting up a new TV series, than watching the latest movie. 10 years ago you would have been called stupid for saying such blasphemy.

Well a cursory glance at your post history shows entries in the threads for Smallville and Prison Break so I guess there's no sense in arguing with you about it.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Well a cursory glance at your post history shows entries in the threads for Smallville and Prison Break so I guess there's no sense in arguing with you about it.

You actually looked up his post history due to this thread? Hah.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

doctor thodt posted:

A cursory glance at simple memory shows that you don't like anything and never budge from your opinions in the slightest, so there's no sense in arguing with you either.

However, anyone who says all TV is any less than 99% poo poo isn't watching ALL TV. A lot of fantastic primetime shows don't cancel out hundreds of channels of pure poo poo. Not watching them doesn't make them cease to exist, but they FAR outweigh the good. There probably hasn't been a time since the 60s when you could call most of the programming on TV "good", due to sheer volume of filler we've come up with since television started 24-hour programming.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 23, 2009

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

yaaaflow posted:

Binged through Wonderfalls over the last couple of days and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I was honestly pretty nervous that Eric was actually somehow gonna end up with his skanky wife and Jaye would not get a happy ending after all the poo poo she was put through. I don't normally get emotionally attached at all to tv characters but this show definitely broke that trend. Now for the 2nd season of Pushing Daisies which I somehow haven't caught up on yet after not being able to follow it week to week last year.

Yep, Fuller and Ball pretty much have a monopoly on the market of creating characters that draw serious emotional involvement from the viewer.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Just finished the first season of Chuck because I heard good things about the second season, and all I'm left with is wondering how it ever got picked up for a second season in the first place. Everything about it is so bland, cliche and humorless that I have to think how anyone could tune in week to week and actually be highly entertained.

The characters are terrible (especially the hideous, balding co-worker and his crappy sidekick), the plots are about as predictable and weak as you can get, and the central mystery of the show is hardly considered as anything more than a simple plot device to mask exposition about characters and macguffins. I won't even get into how "..not with a bang, but with a whimper.." the finale was.

Does the show become any more watchable or should I just give up now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

The Duke posted:

(especially the hideous, balding co-worker and his crappy sidekick)

Jeff and Lester are the best.