Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

The Gasmask posted:

Hmm, I never thought about this. I don't believe my system has onboard graphics, but I'll check that out. If it does, this might be an easier fix than I thought.

Yeah, that and Alcohol 120%. I had Alcohol installed, it was working, but for some reason (I can't figure out why), I uninstalled it. Going back and trying to reinstall, I ran into the issue of the SPTD driver not installing properly. I found some instructions saying to delete a registry key and delete the SPTD.sys file, before installing the drivers with the official SPTD tool, but that didn't work. Then tried Daemon Tools, but I hit the same issue.

Install SPTD 1.60 before you install Daemon Tools. Done deal.

http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Is there some way of restoring the XP style "Picture and Fax Viewer" so that I can open .gifs without it loading IE?

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 22, 2009

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

^^^ Right click a GIF, Open With, Choose default program, pick "Windows Photo Viewer" and tick "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

The Gasmask posted:

Hmm, I never thought about this. I don't believe my system has onboard graphics, but I'll check that out. If it does, this might be an easier fix than I thought.
Pretty easy to tell. Do you plug your monitor in in the same area as you plug in your keyboard, USB, network etc. or is it further towards the bottom of the case on one of the slots? You might also find you have a BIOS setting where you can control exactly how much memory your graphics card takes.

quote:

Yeah, that and Alcohol 120%. I had Alcohol installed, it was working, but for some reason (I can't figure out why), I uninstalled it. Going back and trying to reinstall, I ran into the issue of the SPTD driver not installing properly. I found some instructions saying to delete a registry key and delete the SPTD.sys file, before installing the drivers with the official SPTD tool, but that didn't work. Then tried Daemon Tools, but I hit the same issue.

The problem isn't Windows 7 failing to continue setup properly, it's due to the way these two installers are written. When you start the Daemon Tools setup, it works something like this.
code:
Is SPTD installed?
No?
    Install SPTD
    Configure windows to start this setup program again.
    Reboot PC
Yes?
    Install Daemon Tools
When the PC reboots the exact same check is done again, which means if SPTD failed to install it'll just try to install it again, and again and again since SPTD 1.58 (bundled with DT Lite) doesn't always install on Win 7

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lum posted:

^^^ Right click a GIF, Open With, Choose default program, pick "Windows Photo Viewer" and tick "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

Great, thanks. Another quick question though, will it play animated .gif images properly or will IE or another image viewer still be necessary there?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

CitrusFrog posted:

Great, thanks. Another quick question though, will it play animated .gif images properly or will IE or another image viewer still be necessary there?

I believe the Windows Photo Viewer can't play animated GIFs, which probably explains why IE is the default.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lum posted:

I believe the Windows Photo Viewer can't play animated GIFs, which probably explains why IE is the default.

Oh well, it's not critically important so I can live with it. Thanks again.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

To anyone hosting a Windows 7 Launch Party, I hope you read the details.

http://www.houseparty.com/windows7usa/faq posted:

The 25 character product key included in the inside left panel of the 32 bit Signature Edition (black sleeve) should be used for either 64 or 32 bit installation. The key is only good for one installation.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

illicitporpoises posted:

I see where you're coming from, but I'm pretty sure they just mean you can only have it installed and activated on one computer at any one time - just like a regular product key/license.

With that said, I'm second guessing myself now so I might try to contact Microsoft tomorrow to clarify it with them.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

illicitporpoises posted:

Yeah, I saw that. I'm planning on doing a keyless install until I figure out where I want it permanently installed. If it turns out to just be a regular key, though, that'd be pretty cool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hell even if it's a 1 time use key it's still free.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, as with all keys, if it doesn't activate after you've used it on a few hundred systems, just call the 1-800 number and tell the automated system that this is the FIRST and ONLY install, and they will activate it for you.

They have a very iron-clad system there. They are hoping that the annoyance of slowly typing in a 100-digit number (or however long it is) will deter enough people away from doing multiple installations. When the fact is the phone activation system is just a minor annoyance to be able to install and activate an unlimited number of Windows installations without paying.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Baby Hitler posted:

Haven't found the answer in the thread, so I'll ask.

I'm trying to change the taskbar button characteristics, but the 3 settings it allows you (Always combine hide labels, Combine when taskbar is full, and never combine) aren't what I want. I want to always combine app buttons but still keep the text labels.

How would that work? Many apps change their window title depending on which content is shown. For example, if you combined 5 firefox windows, you'd have 5 different labels depending upon which web page was open in each.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I like the fact that I can now use the WindowsOne ID system(or whatever it's called) and be able to setup media to stream my library wherever I am.

I set it up on my home computer and yesterday I brought my laptop to work to see if it would really link up and it did without any problems.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've just got around to downloading my MSDN copy of 7, and I'm curious - any goons have luck getting Acronis True Image Home 2009 to run on it? I have the 64 bit copy of 7, and I've read that it doesn't play nice with 7 just yet (although the posts I read were from January of last year.)

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 14, 2013

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

KaLogain posted:

I had this exact same problem. I installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager and it solved it.

Ok so it seems to have solved the problem with the SATA drives but now my IDE is missing, not a huge issue since I already pulled the things off it I wanted but any suggestions on how to make that one reappear?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

How would that work? Many apps change their window title depending on which content is shown. For example, if you combined 5 firefox windows, you'd have 5 different labels depending upon which web page was open in each.

At a guess, the same way it worked in XP if you enabled the always group taskbar icons option in Tweak UI. Probably worked the same in Vista too.

I think MS are trying to subtly push you into what they think is the best way to work, hence the removal of the Up button in Vista's explorer and file dialogues to force you to use the new breadcrumbs stuff. That one actually worked on me and now I prefer the breadcrumbs to the old XP way of navigating upwards.

Now they're trying to push it with the new start menu and taskbar. I suspect we'll see a lot more resistance on these ones, however.

macka_x
Feb 3, 2004
Litany of Curses

jassa posted:

Product keys

I think what it means is that the code is good for linking the copy of windows to 1 PC only. This has always been the case.

If you put it on a different machine you just call the number and cite hardware upgrades.

As both the 64bit and 32bit versions come in the package I wonder if you can uninstall the 32bit version and install the 64bit one at a later date with the same key.

macka_x fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 22, 2009

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

macka_x posted:

I think what it means is that the code is good for linking the copy of windows to 1 PC only. This has always been the case.

If you put it on a different machine you just call the number and cite hardware upgrades.

As both the 64bit and 32bit versions come in the package I wonder if you can uninstall the 32bit version and install the 64bit one at a later date with the same key.

You can, you might have to activate it (I don't see why, as it is just the second time being used) but I don't see any problems with this.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Thermopyle posted:

Firefox changes its name on whatever tab you have currently in focus, so thats not really an issue. I guess I could move completely to tabs inside programs as Firefox, IE8, Trillian, etc all seem to have it as a mainstay, but it'd be nice to tweak legacy programs or something with multiple instances to use windows 'tabbed' taskbar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Baby Hitler posted:

Firefox changes its name on whatever tab you have currently in focus, so thats not really an issue.

That's exactly why it's an issue. If you have more than one Firefox window open each one will have a different name unless you have each one with the same website open in a focused tab.

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF
Quick question regarding VMs: I want to set up a couple of VMs in VMware for occasional tasks, like music editing. For the guest OS, should I go with XP (lighter, stable, maybe quicker) or Win7 (heavier, but more recent)? Hopefully if it all works with Unity I'll have an awesome portable working platform I can move around with ease

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

grrowl posted:

Quick question regarding VMs: I want to set up a couple of VMs in VMware for occasional tasks, like music editing. For the guest OS, should I go with XP (lighter, stable, maybe quicker) or Win7 (heavier, but more recent)? Hopefully if it all works with Unity I'll have an awesome portable working platform I can move around with ease

Windows 7 is lighter, more stable, and quicker than XP in everything but memory and disk space.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Thermopyle posted:

That's exactly why it's an issue. If you have more than one Firefox window open each one will have a different name unless you have each one with the same website open in a focused tab.

Don't like the idea of stacking (intra and inter app) tabbing? 7 does it anyway, the only vector that prevents XP style button grouping it from running all the time is the taskbar-space, which only groups similar apps when taskbar space has run 'low.'

Lets say I have 2 separate firefox icons in the taskbar, A and B. If I hover over EITHER A or B, both instances are shown in Aero Peek. With the default windows 7 behavior, they are grouped like I want, but the text is removed which I don't like as something sites have updating titles and such, also showing tab focus. Is it that hard to be able to change the requirement of the the number of taskbar buttons to always group all windows from an application. Application specific grouping is the default, just does something I don't want (textless button).

That might be a little confusing. I want the default setup BUT I don't want it to remove the button text. Make sense? That should have been a fourth option to group but keep text.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
If I have the x64 version of Win 7, why does my graphics card say it's running at 32 bit?

(image removed)

edit: ugh nevermind I'm retarded

edit 2: vvvv Erase traces of my stupidity!

Johnny B. Goode fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 23, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Johnny B. Goode posted:

If I have the x64 version of Win 7, why does my graphics card say it's running at 32 bit?

That's 32 bits of color per pixel, the card isn't running a 32 bit driver. Very few monitors can handle more than 32 bits of color information per pixel.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Thermopyle posted:

Well, IE 8 currently has support for the extra taskbar functionality that allows you to get thumbnails of every tab that's open (source). I'm assuming it'd be a matter of time, once Windows 7 officially launches, before Firefox/Chrome/whatever also get this functionality. Winamp and Foobar seem to be 2 of the early adopters, albeit through user-made extensions.

Edit: Wait, that's not exactly what you were complaining about, was it? Well, it's still a neat feature to have, so I'll leave that paragraph up there.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I thought I read somewhere that Internet Explorer wouldn't be included with Win 7 due to some kind of monopoly on the market share? Or at least it would prompt you to check out alternatives?

This didn't happen at all for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was just for europe, because they suddenly care about monopolies where Microsoft is concerned. You can get rid of IE front end, but the core of IE is still built into Windows.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Cojawfee, yeah but that got canceled.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Not "they suddenly care", it's "Microsoft agreed to it or else they'd get royally hosed into oblivion by the EU." They've been doing similar things since at least Vista, and I'd have to check if they ever did it with XP. It's the origin of the "N" versions of software, they've been having to remove Windows Media Player for some time now in Europe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mo0 posted:

Not "they suddenly care", it's "Microsoft agreed to it or else they'd get royally hosed into oblivion by the EU." They've been doing similar things since at least Vista, and I'd have to check if they ever did it with XP. It's the origin of the "N" versions of software, they've been having to remove Windows Media Player for some time now in Europe.

Microsoft didn't agree to anything, removing IE was going to be a gently caress you to the European Union's request.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Except they only care when Microsoft does it. They don't care about all the Apple branded things that come with OSX that could squeeze out competition.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

Microsoft didn't agree to anything, removing IE was going to be a gently caress you to the European Union's request.

Oh, that'll learn me to read. :downs: I thought that WAS the EU's request.

Cojawfee, Apple never went to quite the lengths Microsoft used to to ensure that you wouldn't try to install alternative software.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is that from the Windows 9X era? I've never had any problem installing anything in XP or later, and I wasn't really allowed to install things when we had Windows 95 and 98.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mo0 posted:

Oh, that'll learn me to read. :downs: I thought that WAS the EU's request.

Cojawfee, Apple never went to quite the lengths Microsoft used to to ensure that you wouldn't try to install alternative software.

Uh, no, Microsoft never did anything against CONSUMERS installing poo poo. In 1998, Microsoft pressured OEMs installing Netscape on new computers by threatening to charge them full price for Windows licenses. That's all they did and was all that big federal case was about. They had stopped doing it by 1999.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
:downs: I need to stop posting before reading, I'm making an rear end of myself.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 23, 2009

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Cojawfee posted:

Except they only care when Microsoft does it. They don't care about all the Apple branded things that come with OSX that could squeeze out competition.

There was an entire thread about this, no need to go into it here.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I've recently solved a problem with my sound randomly going quiet or muffled after being idle for about 10 minutes. The problem was caused by Windows 7 turning multimedia devices into a low powered state when idle.

Solution: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/77807e20-a172-46ed-9038-acbecddb131c

After changing a few registry values and rebooting, I no longer have this problem! Hopefully someone else will find this useful. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Baby Hitler posted:

Don't like the idea of stacking (intra and inter app) tabbing? 7 does it anyway, the only vector that prevents XP style button grouping it from running all the time is the taskbar-space, which only groups similar apps when taskbar space has run 'low.'

Lets say I have 2 separate firefox icons in the taskbar, A and B. If I hover over EITHER A or B, both instances are shown in Aero Peek. With the default windows 7 behavior, they are grouped like I want, but the text is removed which I don't like as something sites have updating titles and such, also showing tab focus. Is it that hard to be able to change the requirement of the the number of taskbar buttons to always group all windows from an application. Application specific grouping is the default, just does something I don't want (textless button).

That might be a little confusing. I want the default setup BUT I don't want it to remove the button text. Make sense? That should have been a fourth option to group but keep text.

You're right. That is confusing and I don't understand what you want.

Say you have two firefox windows. They're grouped together. They both have different titles. What would you have happen here?

Mo0 posted:

Well, IE 8 currently has support for the extra taskbar functionality that allows you to get thumbnails of every tab that's open (source). I'm assuming it'd be a matter of time, once Windows 7 officially launches, before Firefox/Chrome/whatever also get this functionality. Winamp and Foobar seem to be 2 of the early adopters, albeit through user-made extensions.

Edit: Wait, that's not exactly what you were complaining about, was it? Well, it's still a neat feature to have, so I'll leave that paragraph up there.

1. You're wrong. It's not even close to what we're talking about.
2. I'm not the one complaining about anything. I'm just trying to understand what Baby Hitler sees as a solution to what he is complaining about.