Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

down1nit posted:

even after refreshing the thead list? try the delete private data dialog. choose the delete entire cache option

Every time I have to click on a thread again in rapid succession? If I wait about 5 minutes or so it works as it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

krylex posted:

Anyone having issues on OSX with rapid moving threads and trying to go to the new posts? It seems like it keeps going to one that was clicked a few minutes ago.

It's doing this with the last post and even if I post twice within a few minutes taking me to the earlier post rather than the new one.

Setting Preferences -> Advanced -> History -> Check Documents to "Always" fixed that problem for me, but it'll make typical browsing performance slightly worse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There we go. That fixed it thanks!

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
http://unite.opera.com/service/402/

For those of you who wish to aid your favorite internet browser company. :)

Reisen
Aug 5, 2005

So just yesterday I stopped being able to access GMail. I can't even go to the login screen; it's like the site is blocked. I just get a blank screen. I checked, and it's not on my blocked sites list (nothing is), and I put google.com and gmail.com on my trusted sites list and nothing changed. Google Docs and Google Calendar still work, and GMail works in Firefox, so I'm really confused what could be the issue here. Any ideas?

Edit: My only UserJS is the one that makes Google Docs work.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
^^^
Tried clearing cache and disabling all UserJS (just in case)? Gmail is working fine for me.

Since upgrading to Opera 10, when I click the button on the forums for "Number of new posts in thread", if I've already clicked that link for a thread in a browsing session, it'll jump me to where that link previously went instead of to the new location. Anyone else have this?

Rooster Brooster fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 16, 2009

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Double back issues were mentioned on page one but I cannot find any solution. I'm getting the issue on pages that worked fine in 9x. Ideas?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sten Freak posted:

Double back issues were mentioned on page one but I cannot find any solution. I'm getting the issue on pages that worked fine in 9x. Ideas?

Ok this is going on top of the OP:

DISABLE INLINE FRAMES IN SITE PREFERENCES TO FIX DOUBLE BACK ISSUES.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Sure that would fix it but I don't understand why it's only necessary for a subset of users? I haven't seen that issue in half a year or more, without disabling inline frames or using any relevant userjs.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Thanks but it didn't fix the issue for me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sten Freak posted:

Thanks but it didn't fix the issue for me.

Then you've got a different problem and should be reporting it to Opera, it's fixed it everywhere I've messed with it. What sites is it on?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

El_Ergo posted:

Since upgrading to Opera 10, when I click the button on the forums for "Number of new posts in thread", if I've already clicked that link for a thread in a browsing session, it'll jump me to where that link previously went instead of to the new location. Anyone else have this?

Plorkyeran posted:

Setting Preferences -> Advanced -> History -> Check Documents to "Always" fixed that problem for me, but it'll make typical browsing performance slightly worse.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Casao posted:

Then you've got a different problem and should be reporting it to Opera, it's fixed it everywhere I've messed with it. What sites is it on?

http://finance.yahoo.com

When you go to an individual quote from the portfolio page. I'll report it. 9x had an issue with Yahoo mail too, but it was individual emails not being returned until refresh hit after attempting to access them.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
gently caress everything in this thread. If you have a phone capable of it, go to m.opera.com/next to grab Opera Mini 5 Beta.

Holy loving poo poo. Seriously this is amazing.

Watch how loving FAST everything is. Forget iphone safari, forget zune hd iem6, forget opera mobile even. Opera OWNS mobile browsing.

On another note, RE: HTC TyTN II:

gently caress resistive touchscreens, I need me a capacitive. The HTC Leo is just in time. I could only imagine a zune hd port of mini 5.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

down1nit posted:

On another note, RE: HTC TyTN II:

gently caress resistive touchscreens, I need me a capacitive. The HTC Leo is just in time. I could only imagine a zune hd port of mini 5.

I can deal with the resistive touchscreen, especially with a fairly small screen like the TyTN II's. What really gets me is the goddamn screen bezel that makes it incredibly hard to use anything at the edge of the screen (like most onscreen keyboards, anything with a "scroll through categories" feature like iContact or Resco Explorer, etc. etc. why the hell won't Rogers pick up the Touch Pro 2 so I can have a nice big flat screen without paying $800 for it?)

That said, if Mini 5 is that awesome it may displace Mobile 9.7 beta 1 as my browser of choice. Gonna go try that out now.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

GobyWan posted:

I can deal with the resistive touchscreen, especially with a fairly small screen like the TyTN II's. What really gets me is the goddamn screen bezel that makes it incredibly hard to use anything at the edge of the screen (like most onscreen keyboards, anything with a "scroll through categories" feature like iContact or Resco Explorer, etc. etc. why the hell won't Rogers pick up the Touch Pro 2 so I can have a nice big flat screen without paying $800 for it?)

That said, if Mini 5 is that awesome it may displace Mobile 9.7 beta 1 as my browser of choice. Gonna go try that out now.

If you have a TyTN II you're a fool if you haven't flashed it to a PDA Corner ROM, or another 6.1* rom. Most roms have TouchFlo built in so you never have to worry about scroll bars again.

That said: I really miss the scroll bars in Opera Mini 5 Beta. Specifically, I miss the U/D/L/R controls with the D-pad that lets me page up/down. Oh, and syncing. But it's an Opera Mini release, so it will be added in final, as syncing everything is pretty much core to Opera's game nowadays.

* As pretty as Win Mo leaks of 6.5 look, it's not quite ready for our devices, and is dog slow sometimes.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 19, 2009

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Finally got around to installing Opera 10...is there any loving reason they stuck with the old-style save-as dialog instead of using the Vista/Win7 one? That was the one thing which was really starting to piss me off in version 9. Get with the times, assholes!

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

Finally got around to installing Opera 10...is there any loving reason they stuck with the old-style save-as dialog instead of using the Vista/Win7 one? That was the one thing which was really starting to piss me off in version 9. Get with the times, assholes!

What the hell are you rambling on about?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

What the hell are you rambling on about?
Probably this,

Old:

New:

I don't see how that can annoy someone that much though.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Fake edit: Gibbed beat me to the punch! It annoys me because I prefer the newer style file dialog. Is it that crazy of a request?

I suppose I worded that poorly. Here's a couple screenshots of what happens when you choose where to save a file in IE and Opera:

(IE...and basically every other goddamn application out there)

(Opera)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Doesn't Opera use its own UI toolkit? Give it time...

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I tried out Opera 10 because of the advertised Turbo feature. I frequently have to use a very slow connection that is 256k. Whereas before I would wait between 30 and 60 seconds for a web page to load, with Turbo enabled I find it is taking 2 or 3 minutes for pages to load. Am I doing something wrong, or is the feature just bogus?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

200th Poster posted:

I tried out Opera 10 because of the advertised Turbo feature. I frequently have to use a very slow connection that is 256k. Whereas before I would wait between 30 and 60 seconds for a web page to load, with Turbo enabled I find it is taking 2 or 3 minutes for pages to load. Am I doing something wrong, or is the feature just bogus?

I had the same experience. Turbo actually slowed down my already slow connection. Seems bogus to me.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ColdPie posted:

I had the same experience. Turbo actually slowed down my already slow connection. Seems bogus to me.

For the most part, if I'm on an EDGE connection and getting 28k, Turbo can speed things up quite a bit. I think if you're on anything above dial-up, it doesn't do anything for you.

E: I think it depends on which of Opera's servers you're connected to and the load on it, too.

Manky fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 20, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

200th Poster posted:

Turbo works the same way as Opera mini - it sends a request to the Opera proxy, the proxy downloads it and lowers quality on images, does some compression in general and then sends it to you.

Anything that's JS heavy isn't gonna get a lot of help I'd say. If Opera's proxies are overloaded, it will take a while for them to respond. There's a few other situations, but I think the biggest issue you're going to come across is it's new and fairly untested on the desktop - take your concerns to the Opera forums, report a site problem on the sites taking 2-3 minutes and be sure to say why. Generally, bring it to Opera's attention and see what they can do.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
For some reason my copy of Opera 10 can't go to http://python.org . If I visit it in any other web browser, it loads fine, and if I enter the site's IP address, it works in Opera. But not if I use its DNS name. Anyone have any idea why?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

You're probably adblocking the domain.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

You're probably adblocking the domain.
Good call, but I checked my urlfilter.ini file, and I don't think there's anything in there that matches python.org. And it's not like the page tries to load and then stops - it just hangs at "Connecting to remote host python.org..." for forever, so it looks like something is preventing it from connecting at all.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

GuyGizmo posted:

Good call, but I checked my urlfilter.ini file, and I don't think there's anything in there that matches python.org. And it's not like the page tries to load and then stops - it just hangs at "Connecting to remote host python.org..." for forever, so it looks like something is preventing it from connecting at all.

Proxy in Opera? Using Turbo?

Tried removing urlfilter.ini, restarting Opera and loading it?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Casao posted:

Proxy in Opera? Using Turbo?

Tried removing urlfilter.ini, restarting Opera and loading it?
Nope, nope, and nope. Tried switching out urlfilter.ini like you suggested, so it's definitely not that.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

GuyGizmo posted:

Nope, nope, and nope. Tried switching out urlfilter.ini like you suggested, so it's definitely not that.

It works fine here, so it's not a general Opera issue. Try moving your profile folder and seeing if it still occurs.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I would just like to say that my "Opera cannot print" probably has at least become completely random, rather than absolutely guaranteed.

After installing the CUPS-PDF driver (which prints straight to PDF without having to do any save as PDF stuff), I am now able to get to the print dialog box about 50% of the time.

About 50% of the time it crashes from there but....

This is true with a completely new blank user, too.

IIRC, at one time Opera used QuickTime to render pages. Is this still the case? COuld I be hanging due to a QT update? Is no one else having these problems at all?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

kapalama posted:

IIRC, at one time Opera used QuickTime to render pages. Is this still the case? COuld I be hanging due to a QT update?
Opera is programmed with the multi-platform Qt library; not the QuickTime media player.

It sounds like your installation might just be busted. Sorry if I missed this, but have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

kapalama posted:

I would just like to say that my "Opera cannot print" probably has at least become completely random, rather than absolutely guaranteed.

After installing the CUPS-PDF driver (which prints straight to PDF without having to do any save as PDF stuff), I am now able to get to the print dialog box about 50% of the time.

About 50% of the time it crashes from there but....

This is true with a completely new blank user, too.

IIRC, at one time Opera used QuickTime to render pages. Is this still the case? COuld I be hanging due to a QT update? Is no one else having these problems at all?

Well it's gotta be something with that PDF printer, obviously. Does this happen in FF as well as Opera? Do you have permissions sorted and all that? Did you read the README included with the printer? What distro are you running? Any alpha/beta builds or stable?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

down1nit posted:

Well it's gotta be something with that PDF printer, obviously. Does this happen in FF as well as Opera? Do you have permissions sorted and all that? Did you read the README included with the printer? What distro are you running? Any alpha/beta builds or stable?

Actually the problem was 100% of the time before I installed the CUPS-PDF printer. I think it is a particular problem to the HP printer (Laser Jet 1012), at least in part. But even when I delete the printer, it is an on again off again thing, except that it is most of the time. The problems first exposed itself when I upgraded a bunch of OS stuff and Opera to 10.0 at the same time. I though it was Opera 10.0, but when my hard drive died. I started upgrading from an old backup, and left Opera at 9.63 but upgraded the Mac OS, and that brought the problem back. So it is not Opera 10.0, but rather some sort of oddball interaction between the 10.5.8 upgrades and Opera.

I have tried everything but an actual clean system install: Used AppTrap to delete the program and the related info, made a new user just to make sure it was clean, etc.

In a sense it is a sign of just how much I love Opera that I am doing without printing from the browser, but it is now getting in the way of research. Firefox/Safari/iCab have no problems printing...

At this point the hope is that upgrading to 10.6 fixes it, but that's gotta wait a bit.

From the Opera forums, it seems I am the only person reporting the problem. But then again the number of Mac users running Opera is small to begin with, so ....

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is it me or is Opera - still - downright horrible for printing pages?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

down1nit posted:

If you have a phone capable of it, go to m.opera.com/next to grab Opera Mini 5 Beta.

Do it right the gently caress now!

down1nit posted:

That said: I really miss the scroll bars in Opera Mini 5 Beta. Specifically, I miss the U/D/L/R controls with the D-pad that lets me page up/down.

Assuming you have a keyboard: have you tried 2, 8, 4 and 6?

Also '*, left' = previous tab, '*, right' = next tab, '*, up' = new tab, '*, down' = close tab. These work in E71 without having to press the symbol key.

I like Opera Mini 5 more and more every day. If you hold down the middle button in your phone over a link, you get a context menu that lets you open the link in a new tab. Then just *, right, and keep reading the page you were reading and let the page load on the background. Change tabs again, read the link, *, down to close the tab and continue reeading the first page. It's like using a grown-up's browser.

You never have to leave full screen mode. Plus of course mobile view continues to own.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I've been using opera for years and love it, it's the browser that I use 99% of the time. However, one thing bugs me. Whenever they release a new version they remove or change keyboard shortcuts that I use all the time. In past versions if I had a URL copied to the clipboard, I could use ctrl b to paste it into the address bar and immediately go to that site. In version 10, this shortcut no longer exists, ctrl b now opens up the bookmark manager. Also, I used to be able to navigate between open tabs using the 1 and 2 keys (1 moved to the next tab to the left, 2 moved to the next one to the right). This no longer works either. Anybody know how to get this functionality back? Thanks.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I've been using opera for years and love it, it's the browser that I use 99% of the time. However, one thing bugs me. Whenever they release a new version they remove or change keyboard shortcuts that I use all the time. In past versions if I had a URL copied to the clipboard, I could use ctrl b to paste it into the address bar and immediately go to that site. In version 10, this shortcut no longer exists, ctrl b now opens up the bookmark manager. Also, I used to be able to navigate between open tabs using the 1 and 2 keys (1 moved to the next tab to the left, 2 moved to the next one to the right). This no longer works either. Anybody know how to get this functionality back? Thanks.

Edit the keyboard shortcuts, they're in advanced preferences and you can pretty much configure them however you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Casao posted:

Edit the keyboard shortcuts, they're in advanced preferences and you can pretty much configure them however you want.

Yeah, I saw the keyboard layout under advanced preferences but the list of things you can edit is looooong. Any idea which ones I'm looking for? The ctrl b one I mentioned in my last post is the most important, I can do without the others.