Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Latest update on the Dimmu debacle (article in Norwegian): http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/09/23/kultur/musikk/dimmu_borgir/black_metal/8237474/

Basically, Mustis claims he has been screwed out of songwriting credits for 19 songs, and has hired a lawyer. TONO has frozen all payouts to the band until the dispute has been settled, and it looks like the case is heading for court.

The article also mentions Vortex calling Mustis "the true creative force" behind Dimmu Borgir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Kaiho posted:

I think that still is male.

It has tits, though

How's the new album? I kinda liked Carved in Stigmata Wounds but the one they made after that was some gay satyricon poo poo

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is it that 2003-2004 had a shitload of awesome albums

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Just got Gaahlskagg's "Erotic Funeral," and it's pretty great. The only things that get annoying are the between-song-atmosphere tracks.

Best song title on the record: Skullfuck. Good tune too.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I guess this album is very necrophiliac-based?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Latis posted:

So I guess this album is very necrophiliac-based?

Yes. Yes it is.

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday

m-o-o-n posted:

It has tits, though

How's the new album? I kinda liked Carved in Stigmata Wounds but the one they made after that was some gay satyricon poo poo

New album is very good. Seems more doomy than their other stuff, but well worth a look. They played a couple of tracks from it the other day and it sounds fantastic live as well.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

m-o-o-n posted:

It has tits, though

She you transphobic fascist

Aschlafly posted:

Lately I've been pretty much possessed by Xasthur, Leviathan, Shining, and Judas Iscariot. What's some other good black metal in the same vein?

Have you tried Ossadogva?

e; It seems that the release of Wormwood has been delayed or it hasn't been destributed on time, anyone know why?

Caucasus Belli fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 27, 2009

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Oh yeah. I've had Urgehal's Goatcraft Torment for a while and I like it in a casual sort of way but I got hold of Massive Terrestrial Strike yesterday and I'm completely blown away by how much better it is.

With this in mind, should I be buying Atomkinder and/or Through Thick Fog Till Death?

Caucasus Belli fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 27, 2009

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Stoo posted:

New album is very good. Seems more doomy than their other stuff, but well worth a look. They played a couple of tracks from it the other day and it sounds fantastic live as well.

It definitely has a doom orientation to it. There's a heavy focus on large, depressive chords and progressions, especially in the drum work. It's not as sinister as other black metal, so much as it is overpowering. Hell, it almost treads towards death metal territory in that regard, focusing as much as it does on weighing down the listener with pallid, groaning riffs.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Anyone heard the new Immortal yet? I'm not a huge fan, but I'm sure it's worth a listen.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

stairway to hippo posted:

Anyone heard the new Immortal yet? I'm not a huge fan, but I'm sure it's worth a listen.

We've all been cranking our respective dicks and the album over in the regular metal thread.

But yes, it has leaked.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yesh, I just read through the last 10 pages of the Metal thread now, haven't visited it for a while. It seems like people there like it quite a lot more than the people I've been talking too. I'm starting to look forward to hearing it now.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Looks like I might be interviewing Secrets of the Moon when they come to Toronto next month. Anyone have any questions for them?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Guzwar posted:

Looks like I might be interviewing Secrets of the Moon when they come to Toronto next month. Anyone have any questions for them?

Bassist: Boy or girl.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

Bassist: Boy or girl.

This.

Also, is second guitarist related to Till Lindeman.

Slander
Jun 18, 2004

GOLD TEEF!!!1
Hey dudes,

I'm in a blackish sort of progressive, sort of deathish band. I think it has enough black influences you guys might be interested. We just got out of the studio, and we put some unmastered tracks on myspace.

Give us a listen, we're Irony from Bremerton, WA.

https://www.myspace.com/ironygroup

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Crosspost from the metal thread:

deltawing posted:

New Gorgoroth leaked, Building a Man is the best song so far, Pest rules, as usual

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009
Love the new Gorgoroth, could not be happier to have Pest back.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Though both are great albums, the new Gorgoroth is much more appealing than the new Immortal.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The new Immortal isn't bad but the only song that really sticks out with me is Arctic Swarm.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich

Potential BFF posted:

The new Immortal isn't bad but the only song that really sticks out with me is Arctic Swarm.

Pretty much, but the fact that I'm listening to this and headbanging along to it really exceeded my expectations.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Death Rotisserie posted:

Pretty much, but the fact that I'm listening to this and headbanging along to it really exceeded my expectations.

Yea, it's a solid album and it exceeds my expectations...but not my dreams </3.

Edit: Gorgoroth straight up jams the gently caress out in Human Sacrifice.

bij fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 30, 2009

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
One thing I think we can say about the new Immortal album is that it sure is an Immortal album.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Groke posted:

One thing I think we can say about the new Immortal album is that it sure is an Immortal album.

With a little bit of I here and there, which is not a bad thing!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Razor posted:

Though both are great albums, the new Gorgoroth is much more appealing than the new Immortal.

Agreed, but I'm not yet blown completely away by either of them...yet.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

Groke posted:

That's for sure. Album's pretty much what I expected with Abbath's recent "I" side-project and SoND. The opening riffs on Norden on Fire are classic.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

The new Gorgoroth is really good, I absolutely love it when black metal bands actually have good production. Building a Man is a great track, but Satan Prometheus is better.

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009

lordblytzkrieg posted:

The new Gorgoroth is really good, I absolutely love it when black metal bands actually have good production. Building a Man is a great track, but Satan Prometheus is better.

Yeah, I like the good production as well. I'm digging Human Sacrifice.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Its boring and bland. As expected.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Man, THIS is the same guy that wrote Antichrist and Pentagram? What the gently caress happened? You know, these reunions make me kinda sad. Albums by Absu, Immortal, Gorgoroth are things that should be celebrated and anticipated because they were going to be great works, not releases by bands that seem to have forgotten how to critically look at their own work and excercise a little quality control (I guess this applies to Immortal's albums post At The Heart Of Winter also). I always hope that it's just ring rust and they're gonna come storming back after the album and a good bout of touring as a well oiled machine who remembers how to make awesome music.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Mordekai posted:

Its boring and bland. As expected.
Yeah, I can't really say I disagree with this.

After listening to the new Gorgoroth a few times, I'm afraid it gets pretty much the same verdict. I was expecting more from Gorgoroth. The songs are lacking, and the production is too clean and modern for my taste. My first impression was that it might be a grower, but now I'm thinking it's not.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Yeah, I can't really say I disagree with this.

After listening to the new Gorgoroth a few times, I'm afraid it gets pretty much the same verdict. I was expecting more from Gorgoroth. The songs are lacking, and the production is too clean and modern for my taste. My first impression was that it might be a grower, but now I'm thinking it's not.

My main disappointment is that there aren't enough really brutally blastingly fast parts, lotta midtempo stuff, which doesn't really bode well with such clean production, IMO.

Midtempo stuff with that nice shittier lofi production at least has some nice atmosphere.

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009

deltawing posted:

My main disappointment is that there aren't enough really brutally blastingly fast parts, lotta midtempo stuff, which doesn't really bode well with such clean production, IMO.

Midtempo stuff with that nice shittier lofi production at least has some nice atmosphere.

Yeah, I still really like it for what it is, but I do wish there where some faster, more brutal songs.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

I was left pretty underwhelmed by it. Not necessarily a bad album, but it was a little boring. I was expecting more. I think their last album, Sons of Northern Darkness, was much better. If you want some good Immortal, check out Pure Holocaust.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yeah, I'm not a noob to Immortal, I'm just not a huge fan of their style. Sons of Nort(h)ern Darkness was a pretty fun record, though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Well, I love the heck out of the new Immortal, so you can all eat my butt. It's definitely no Sons of Northern Darkness though, it strikes me as another At the Heart of Winter, stylistically.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

m-o-o-n posted:

I'm really digging the new Secrets of the Moon CD Privilegivm and all their "gay" Satyricon "poo poo". Thanks to Terrorizer's recent special black metal special, I've also been exposed to the greatness of the Blutvial's I Speak of the Devil that came out earlier this summer. It has a real grimmy Aura Noir/Darkthrone crusty bm type feel to it. Good stuff!

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Blutvial are loving incredible, they're the best UKBM band by a long way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I really like both the new Immortal and the new Gorgoroth :(

They both have some pretty weak tracks, but I wouldn't say it's enough to leave me disappointed.

And "Satan-Prometheus" loving destroys.