Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

The Duke posted:

Just finished the first season of Chuck because I heard good things about the second season, and all I'm left with is wondering how it ever got picked up for a second season in the first place. Everything about it is so bland, cliche and humorless that I have to think how anyone could tune in week to week and actually be highly entertained.

The characters are terrible (especially the hideous, balding co-worker and his crappy sidekick), the plots are about as predictable and weak as you can get, and the central mystery of the show is hardly considered as anything more than a simple plot device to mask exposition about characters and macguffins. I won't even get into how "..not with a bang, but with a whimper.." the finale was.

Does the show become any more watchable or should I just give up now?

Watch the second season. The show really comes into its own in the second season, and the second half of it is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chuck's second season is great, but The Duke doesn't seem to like the first season at all, he doesn't even like Jeffster. I really doubt he'll enjoy season 2

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

Binged through about 3 seasons of It's Almost Sunny in Philadelphia.

Hilarious, hilarious, hilarious. Charlie is probably one of my favorite characters ever in a comedy sitcom.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Mu Zeta posted:

Chuck's second season is great, but The Duke doesn't seem to like the first season at all, he doesn't even like Jeffster. I really doubt he'll enjoy season 2

But, but, but...Orion!

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

HeebHustler posted:

Charlie is probably one of my favorite characters ever in a comedy sitcom.

Thought all sitcoms were comedy :haw:

Anyway, I've just got the DVD of Jekyll. Episode 1 was here and there - I love the concept and the first scene was incredible. Jackman is a really great character. Hyde is just that little bit too camp for my liking, it disrupts the seriousness of the story. Plus, there are a few things that irk me, not because they're unexplained (I'm sure more will be told in later episodes) but because they're unlikely - for instance, the sheer amount of people that take a professional interest in Jackman's life. Also Paterson Joseph's character doesn't seem that well-realised.

However, I enjoyed it enough/Michelle Ryan and Gina Bellman are gorgeous enough for me to want to keep watching. Plus I love Steven Moffat so I feel the need to be completist about it.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

The Duke posted:

Just finished the first season of Chuck because I heard good things about the second season, and all I'm left with is wondering how it ever got picked up for a second season in the first place. Everything about it is so bland, cliche and humorless that I have to think how anyone could tune in week to week and actually be highly entertained.

The characters are terrible (especially the hideous, balding co-worker and his crappy sidekick), the plots are about as predictable and weak as you can get, and the central mystery of the show is hardly considered as anything more than a simple plot device to mask exposition about characters and macguffins. I won't even get into how "..not with a bang, but with a whimper.." the finale was.

Does the show become any more watchable or should I just give up now?

I've only seen it once, but this was my impression too. It seems to get rave reviews around here so I may give it a chance from the beginning at some stage, but what I saw was lovely cliche B-grade action series with incredibly lame attempts at humour and relationship drama added in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HeebHustler posted:

Hilarious, hilarious, hilarious. Charlie is probably one of my favorite characters ever in a comedy sitcom.
Always Sunny

But glad you like it. Catch up soon so you can watch the new season live.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Started watching How I Met Your Mother, really easy to watch, and I totally love Barney, about halfway through S1 at the moment.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I need help in deciding what to watch next. I just finished Deadwood.

Shows that are still on the air that I watch are: Office, Always Sunny, Entourage, Dexter, Lost, 24, Dollhouse, Heroes, Weeds, Metalocalypse, and South Park.

Shows I've seen: Sopranos, BSG, The Wire, Rome, Arrested Development and probably others.

I'm thinking of going with The Shield since there would be a beginning and an end, but it's quite long. I've thought about going through something quicker like Freaks & Geeks or Undeclared, so I can make another choice after that. I'm also considering True Blood, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, 30 Rock, Carnivale, or Sons of Anarchy. WHAT TO DO?!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Nothing will match up to Deadwood, and nothing will ease the pain of that non-ending. Unfortunately!

Just throwing another one into the mix, for a complete change of pace, what about In Treatment. In my opinion the next best HBO show behind The Wire and Deadwood, at least for its first season. If you like incredible acting and writing and human drama and resolution, then you'll probably enjoy it a lot (especially if you liked The Sopranos and its psycho-analysis interludes).

First season is 40-some episodes, half an hour each, with compelling arcs to match any of the classic HBO series.

Personally I found The Shield really hard going until it found its style and tone which wasn't for a while. Quality picks up quite dramatically after that, but it's no Wire.

Any of the shows you mention at the bottom are also great, Six Feet Under and Mad Men most of all.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 26, 2009

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Well if you want something quick and fun to watch, go for season 1 of Heroes. Assume the show ended after that because it turns into poo poo.
Echoing the In Threatment love. I don't understand why more people don't like it, especially here.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I've seen all of Heroes as I mentioned.

I had no idea In Treatment has 43 episodes. That's insane. My dad is a psychologist and said the show was nearly unwatchable for him based on the actual treatments. I've heard the "TV" part of it is good though. We usually share interests. He really liked The Shield and I've seen bits and pieces of episodes when I would watch it with him on occasion back around season 2.

My parents watch Mad Men now and it's my mom's favorite show (it's probably her only show). It was The Wire after I bought season 1 for them though. They haven't gotten around to the other seasons and it's been over a year. I don't know what is wrong with them.

What is Six Feet Under like? Would it make me depressed? I think most of the shows I watch are comedies or involve weapons somehow. I don't know what to expect from this one though.

I'll probably go with Shield or Mad Men.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I'd recommend the Shield. As mentioned, it does take a little while for the show to hit its stride, but it also took until the second season of the Wire for most people to really get into that as well.

Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

He came dancing across the water
Meerkat Manor

... thank you 12 year old brother :smugdog:

MuadDib
Apr 27, 2008
I've spent a little over a month and a half blasting through Battlestar Galactica. I heard good things but thought it would be lame generic sci-fi so I bought the miniseries as a test drive. I wasn't immediately sold but I thought it had enough potential for me to buy season 1 and despite a couple low points it had enough awesome episodes to make me commit to the series. I'm through disk 1 and some of disk 2 of season 4.5 and it is one of my favorite shows of all time despite its faults.

I'm currently trying to figure out whats next. My father and stepmother own the entire Sopranos and Dead Like Me collections on DVD but despite all the praise I'm not drawn to them. Carnivale had me captivated until I realized it just fuckin ended. The Wire is more likely than not going to be my next choice based on all the love it has garnered here.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

I'm thinking of going with The Shield since there would be a beginning and an end, but it's quite long. I've thought about going through something quicker like Freaks & Geeks or Undeclared, so I can make another choice after that. I'm also considering True Blood, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, 30 Rock, Carnivale, or Sons of Anarchy. WHAT TO DO?!

I haven't watched most of Carnivale, but the order I would go is: Sons, 30 Rock, SFU, Mad Men, True Blood. Sons and 30 Rock are both extremely easy to binge through.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I've been blasting through Ken Burns' The Civil War all this week. I'm shocked that I haven't picked this up sooner.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Binged through the first 9 episodes of Defying Gravity. It quite a bit better than I was expecting it to be. I find myself liking Ron Livingston's work the more I see of it.

h20man
Oct 29, 2005
Forum Warrior
Just finished watching Samurai Jack. Was one of my favorite cartoons when I was younger. Going to start Trailer Park Boys next. Looking forward to it.

PeterVenkman
Jun 29, 2008

Rammer Jammer
Yellow Hammer
I just blasted through the first two seasons of The Big Bang Theory, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Really liked How I Met Your Mother as well. Now I think I'm going to get back into rewatching 3rd Rock From the Sun. I got about halfway through season 3 before getting distracted by something else. Also, can't wait for the fourth season of Dexter to be over so I can watch it all at once.

h20man posted:

Going to start Trailer Park Boys next. Looking forward to it.

I went through this entire series in like 3 weeks. Wasn't too sure about it at first, but totally loved it. Crazy show.

PeterVenkman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 28, 2009

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
House.

Its pretty good, I am enjoying it. I just cant look at Laurie and not picture The Prince Regent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFlsD6Ls8ok

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

I've seen all of Heroes as I mentioned.

I had no idea In Treatment has 43 episodes. That's insane. My dad is a psychologist and said the show was nearly unwatchable for him based on the actual treatments. I've heard the "TV" part of it is good though. We usually share interests. He really liked The Shield and I've seen bits and pieces of episodes when I would watch it with him on occasion back around season 2.

My parents watch Mad Men now and it's my mom's favorite show (it's probably her only show). It was The Wire after I bought season 1 for them though. They haven't gotten around to the other seasons and it's been over a year. I don't know what is wrong with them.

What is Six Feet Under like? Would it make me depressed? I think most of the shows I watch are comedies or involve weapons somehow. I don't know what to expect from this one though.

I'll probably go with Shield or Mad Men.

Chuck's pretty awesome (especially season 2).

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

I watched all of Jekyll yesterday.

Damned thing is so inconsistent - the character of Jackman/Hyde is fantastic, and Jimmy Nesbitt is amazing in the role. Gina Bellman doesn't really pull off the serious role very well.

The whole thing is just so bizarre though - for all the fantastically written stuff there's some crap, like the concept of the whole world doesn't really work for me. So many people obsessed with this one person, with hyper amounts of money, and an incredibly sloppy operation. The evil corporation thing wasn't realised very well at all.

I came to accept Hyde a lot more - in all his scenes he's really campy, but in his first scenes it seems like the performer camping it up rather than the character twatting around out of sheer confidence in his power, which was captured really well from the second episode onwards, really. The last episode was stretching belief a fair bit.

I really enjoyed watching the show but I don't know if I'd call it a success. Definitely a lot of great writing and acting, but it just doesn't come together.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!

Splat posted:

Chuck's pretty awesome (especially season 2).

I would drive down to Fry's and binge through Season 2 RIGHT NOW... if they had it. Instead it's not out on DVD until Feb 16th of next year. :mad:

I don't know if it's on Hulu (I'm at work right now), but that just wouldn't be the same.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Pushing Daisies. Why didn't I find this show earlier. Why did they cancel this piece of art. :(

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

NadaTooma posted:

I would drive down to Fry's and binge through Season 2 RIGHT NOW... if they had it. Instead it's not out on DVD until Feb 16th of next year. :mad:

I don't know if it's on Hulu (I'm at work right now), but that just wouldn't be the same.

It is on Hulu, and it looks like they're cycling through season 2 episodes on Hulu. Right now they have the first 5 episodes of season 2 up.

Ask Phoebe!
Sep 25, 2008

I am on a major, serious, in-depth Ian McShane binge. It started with NBC's one-season wonder, Kings. Then, because of the enthusiasm of the goons in the Kings thread here, and because there is something majestic and swashbuckling about McShane, it was Deadwood. Then I was working my way through the Mystery Science Theater 3000's I hadn't seen. Around the third time I ran through the Code Name: Diamond Head episode when I realized, "Holy poo poo! The guy playing the criminal master of disguise in this, whose name is Ian McShane, is the same McShane who plays Swearingen and King Silas!"

Mike and the Bots kept calling him "Lovejoy -- on A&E!", which was weird for me because I had always remembered that character as having been played by a fully-greyed Billy Connolly, and then questioned the casting department's sanity. But it's true. There is an awesome show I wasn't ready for when it ran during A&E's "Daybreaks" block, with Law&Order, "Murder," She Wrote, sometimes Matlock, etc., etc... And what's more, soon, all Lovejoy fans with two and a half hundred dollars to spend can own all six seasons, which I think includes the Christmas Specials. I wish I could afford it. It's available for preorder on Amazon.

If you like McShane and you have the money, it's very worth it. I can't believe I ever liked Jonathan Creek more than Lovejoy. I hope the books are as good as the show to which they gave birth.

At any rate, if you want Retro Silas/Swearingen, or just to watch McShane work (he's hot and smart and an amazing craftsman), watch it!

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009
Have any of you guys seen Merlin? I think its an English show but I have been watching it online, I like to catch up on it when there is nothing else to watch, good show.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I finished the Seinfeld box set a couple of days ago. Took me about 5 or 6 weeks. Including all episodes and hours of bonus material, that's quite a feat, I guess.

As I mentioned earlier, I never saw the series in it's entirety, I just caught the odd episode here and there on TV (in a dubbed version), so I never fully understood the whole "best sitcom of all time" hyperbole that surrounds the show.
I do now.

Again, I think the show has aged extremely well, considering that the first episodes are now almost 20 years old. Aside from some of the goofy outfits, this could very well be a show that was produced just a couple of years back. The ensemble cast is fantastic. Jerry Seinfeld is the only weak link, because he is kind of a bad actor and his constant smirking during most of his delivery can be grating. But then, this makes for plenty of outtakes, which are also included.

Jason Alexander (as an alter ego of co-writer and co-creator Larry David) is the secret star of the show though, which easily could have been called "Costanza" instead of "Seinfeld". Michael Richards' quirkiness never gets old and his physical comedy is wonderfully exaggerated. Finally, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is perfect as the female foil to the three guys.

And the guest stars... oh, the guest stars. It's so much fun to spot the appearance of actors and actresses before their big breaks (Teri Hatcher, Bryan Cranston, Peter Krause, just to name a few).

I thought the show took a very small but noticeable dive in quality after Larry David left the team at the beginning of season 8, but that is really just a dip in an otherwise stellar run.
Off the top of my head I can't think of a single bad episode. Sure, there are some outstanding favourites, but come to think of it, I did not once find myself thinking an episode sucked completely. It's just that consistently good.

By the way, the box set is fantastic. The menus vary from disc to disc and allude to elements of certain episodes, navigation is very consistent and there are tons of extras, like audio commentaries, "notes about nothing", which are basically subtitles with production notes or trivial information explaining minor details of the scenes on screen. There are also plenty of interviews with cast members, writers and studio executives on how the show was pitched and developed into one of the most successful shows on TV.

If for some reason you never caught the whole show, I highly recommend it.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

HeebHustler posted:

I do not understand this show on a fundamental level. It's annoying douches wailing and flailing at each other for half an hour, hoping their madcap poo poo will be entertaining somehow. And it's not like I don't like frenetic comedy; I watch 30 Rock and Family Guy and love AD.

Also, I still can't see why so many people love the new BSG. It's so godamn hollow and directionless. And I say that as I near the end of S3. So many other shows have just done it better. Next Generation, DS9, B5, Firefly, etc, etc.

For content: Starting S5 of Angel. It's the best kind of campy/mystery.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I watched all of Jekyll yesterday.

I really enjoyed watching the show but I don't know if I'd call it a success. Definitely a lot of great writing and acting, but it just doesn't come together.

I really thought it had a lot of potential in the first couple episodes, but then it just got worse and worse until it turned into a British version of 24.

SaviourX posted:

I do not understand this show on a fundamental level. It's annoying douches wailing and flailing at each other for half an hour, hoping their madcap poo poo will be entertaining somehow.

Shut up, bozo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pzABURlha8 (turn off annotations)

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 5, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SaviourX posted:

I do not understand this show on a fundamental level.
Well...can't you see how retarded awesome it is?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've had absolutely nothing to watch lately and it's been really annoying so I binged my way through the first season of The Mentalist even though episodic police procedurals bore the living hell out of me. It was a decent enough time-killer.

I tried the first episode of Castle but there's no way I can sit through any more of that. I felt like I was back in 1985 and watching Murder, She Wrote.

Tried The Philanthropist and couldn't get into it either. So now I'm looking for something to binge through that I missed somewhere along the way.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

SaviourX posted:

I do not understand this show on a fundamental level. It's annoying douches wailing and flailing at each other for half an hour, hoping their madcap poo poo will be entertaining somehow. And it's not like I don't like frenetic comedy; I watch 30 Rock and Family Guy and love AD.

I found AD terminally boring and categorically unfunny. On the other hand, I love Always Sunny. I chalk it up to minor differences and not liking or disliking frenetic comedy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

-Blackadder- posted:

I tried the first episode of Castle but there's no way I can sit through any more of that. I felt like I was back in 1985 and watching Murder, She Wrote.

I can't help but think you're watching it wrong. Nathan Fillion is intrinsically much more fun to watch than Angela Lansbury.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Leviathan posted:

I really thought it had a lot of potential in the first couple episodes, but then it just got worse and worse until it turned into a British version of 24.

That's what it was! I couldn't work it out. It went from being a unique drama and became more and more genre as it went on, until the poor actor was forced to dramatically say "he didn't share the damage!".

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Leviathan posted:

Shut up, bozo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pzABURlha8 (turn off annotations)

Ok, that got better as it went on. Still kinda shrill, tho.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Yowza Netflix Watch Instantly! A shitload of series just got added for instant viewing. There's your regular fluff (4 more seasons of various L&O...I won't lie, I'll watch them) but notably 8 MST3K movies, lots of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes, and seasons 6 and 7 of The Shield.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Just finished Season Three of Brotherhood. Really, really good show that stumbles a little in its final season - the whole Kath & Colin plot made me want to turn off the television every time it took center stage - but manages to keep things together up to the end. The final scene with Michael back in exile, this time permanently, leaving his mother a message on the answering machine while the entire family is off attending Tommy's inauguration as Speaker was a massive kick in the balls and a fantastic way to end the series. A good show that deserved more than it got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY MAN TV ON PC
Jul 14, 2009
I burned through the first four seasons and the first movie of Futurama this summer. I'm still looking out for the rest of the movies at some point. I also saw various seasons of The Simpsons (nine, eight, and one, in that order). I'm most of the way through season two, but it really slowed down, so I switched to: the first season of The Venture Bros. At first I wasn't impressed, but it really picked up around episode three and I've loved it since.