Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
file checking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Xenomorph posted:

Well, going from XP to Vista rocked for me.

I get a kick out of the web sites I've seen that tout Windows 7's "new features", and then show something that many Windows users have been using for years.

Check boxes to select items? That's been available since 2006!
Many people seemed to have skipped Vista because of word-of-mouth. "Oh, it sucks? Well I won't be using it then!" - and because of that, tons of people missed out on the THOUSANDS of new features, fixes, and enhancements Windows Vista offered.

Rename a file without selecting file extension? Vista. Auto defrag? Vista. Check boxes to select items? Vista. Auto elevation for non Admins? Vista. 3D accelerated Desktop? Vista. Per-application sound control? Vista. Shift-right click for "Command Prompt Here"? Vista. WinKey+type for app and file search (like Mac Spotlight)? Vista. Properly-themed Command Prompt? Vista. WinKey+Tab flip3D? Vista.
New kernel with improved video driver-crash recovery? Vista. Paint defaulting to PNG? Vista. Desktop gadgets? Vista.

Windows 7 does have some new features. No visible Sidebar required for gadgets, the Start Menu can expand to show program options, Display and Theme management windows are streamlined, etc. The biggest new thing is probably the new Mac OS X Dock-like Task Bar. Other than than, most of the "new stuff" people will experience in Windows 7 came out with Vista.

If so many people didn't dismiss Vista before trying it, they would have seen what an amazing operating system it was.

I know exactly what you mean. I only know about 3 people that run Vista. The main reason from everyone else was "I heard it sucked". It totally didn't. Even pre-SP1, I never had any issues at all. I kept my old XP install in case I had some programs that wouldn't work. I only booted into XP twice, both times just to transfer settings/configs across.

I still use XP at work though, so every time I come home, it's like an upgrade.

If you really want your socks blown off, go from XP on an HDD to Win7 on an SSD. Holy loving poo poo. I can't recommend this highly enough. And it's still working out my patterns, so when prefetch catches up to my style, it'll be even better. And by better, I mean insane.

I just started Photoshop CS4, which I haven't run for 3-4 days, and it started in less than 6 seconds. If I quit and start it again it's about 2.5 seconds. I can open files in photoshop quicker than I used to be able to open them in Windows image viewer.

^^ File checking: You can turn on checkboxes next to files, and select files by clicking the checkboxes. And no, you can't select from multiple folders as far as I can tell.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 25, 2009

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Xenomorph posted:

Same here.

I've also been annoyed by the Windows 7 "new features" list and the talk of "Windows 7 is Vista done right". Vista was and remains a great OS. A worthwhile successor to XP in every respect.

Windows 7 is great and I'm excited to install it on my main machine next week (my new SSD!) but this making GBS threads on Vista has been annoying ever since the first Windows 7 beta.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

frankenbeans posted:

I know exactly what you mean. I only know about 3 people that run Vista. The main reason from everyone else was "I heard it sucked". It totally didn't. Even pre-SP1, I never had any issues at all. I kept my old XP install in case I had some programs that wouldn't work. I only booted into XP twice, both times just to transfer settings/configs across.

I still use XP at work though, so every time I come home, it's like an upgrade.

Every time I use XP, I always think "I wish it did this. I wish I could do that. Why can't we just force all users to Vista?"

Security in XP scares me. It defaults to admin, with no confirmation when anything destructive tries to run. You can try running as a "Regular" user, but then it breaks so much. You'll end up with "Access Denied" errors over and over when trying to do stuff. You have to log out of a User account and back in as Admin, or dick around with "Run as...", which doesn't always work. I would try to do a Run As on explorer.exe, so that things I launched from there would have admin rights. Logging in as a regular user in XP is just so crippling.

In Vista, it simply prompts and auto elevates if you need additional access. It makes working on a system so much easier. So if you hop on a user's computer to make some changes, you DON'T have to log out - EVERYTHING is available to you from their account, thanks to UAC and auto elevation.

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you

Xenomorph posted:

I get a kick out of the web sites I've seen that tout Windows 7's "new features", and then show something that many Windows users have been using for years.

Many people seemed to have skipped Vista because of word-of-mouth. "Oh, it sucks? Well I won't be using it then!" - and because of that, tons of people missed out on the THOUSANDS of new features, fixes, and enhancements Windows Vista offered.

Rename a file without selecting file extension? Vista. Auto defrag? Vista. Check boxes to select items? Vista. Auto elevation for non Admins? Vista. 3D accelerated Desktop? Vista. Per-application sound control? Vista. Shift-right click for "Command Prompt Here"? Vista. WinKey+type for app and file search (like Mac Spotlight)? Vista. Properly-themed Command Prompt? Vista. WinKey+Tab flip3D? Vista.
New kernel with improved video driver-crash recovery? Vista. Paint defaulting to PNG? Vista. Desktop gadgets? Vista.

Windows 7 does have some new features. No visible Sidebar required for gadgets, the Start Menu can expand to show program options, Display and Theme management windows are streamlined, etc. The biggest new thing is probably the new Mac OS X Dock-like Task Bar. Other than than, most of the "new stuff" people will experience in Windows 7 came out with Vista.

If so many people didn't dismiss Vista before trying it, they would have seen what an amazing operating system it was.

This post owns and I agree with everything you wrote.

revolther
May 27, 2008
It's kinda funny, my sister just got a laptop with Vista and a free 7 upgrade. I asked her how she felt about Vista, "It's awesome, I don't know what the people at my office were complaining about".

Vista was an awesome step in the right direction.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The worst is people who dual boot their Macs, refuse Vista, put XP on there then hoot and holler about how much better Snow Leopard is than XP. Right, excuse me while I make comparisons of Cheetah Puma to Windows 7 to make that fair.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Johnny B. Goode posted:

This. WMP12 uses the Windows default codecs that come with Win 7, which are pretty terrible, even if you install your own codecs. So far, I haven't figured out how to turn them off, and I can't find anywhere that explains it either.

You'll definitely want CoreAVC if you're running anything less than a decent dual core. Other than that, I use CCP's MPC Harmonica to play 720p or 1080p x264 files. It works very well.

After installing CCP you'll want to uncheck H.264 under ffdshow, though. Unless you have a great processor who can handle it. CoreAVC will take over when you uncheck it.

Like I said, I can play the file and so can the PC I want to stream to. The problem only arises when I try the 'Play To' function to stream video from one of the PCs to the other....

As far as processors go, I don't think there's a problem. E6600 in one and an E8500 in the other.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Suddenly my windows 7 system will not suspend anymore. You can hit suspend, it cranks disk for a few moments, screen turns black and then it comes back on with the login prompt. I checked HID complient keyboard and mouse under the device manager and told it to not allow them to turn the computer on. But I cannot figure out what the hell broke suspend. Any help?

[edit] just uninstalled the last few programs I installed and it turns out it was DVDFab 6.0. GAH

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 25, 2009

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Suddenly my windows 7 system will not suspend anymore. You can hit suspend, it cranks disk for a few moments, screen turns black and then it comes back on with the login prompt. I checked HID complient keyboard and mouse under the device manager and told it to not allow them to turn the computer on. But I cannot figure out what the hell broke suspend. Any help?

If you try to suspend, and it wakes up again, launch a command prompt and type powercfg -lastwake. It will output some debug info, showing what it was that caused the system to wake.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NFX posted:

If you try to suspend, and it wakes up again, launch a command prompt and type powercfg -lastwake. It will output some debug info, showing what it was that caused the system to wake.

Cool I was trying to remember that command. Thanks

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
Anyone having problems with video? I tried installing CCCP but it didn't help.

I just switched from XP and now my fullscreen videos have an increased amount of pixelation, especially around edges of objects/people. Any ideas? It isn't the video quality, this happens on a 720p vid as well.

Edit - These issues appear in VLC and MPC.

aksuur fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 25, 2009

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I upgraded my Nvidia 8600 GT to a GTS 250 and I lost the ability to do non-native resolution scaling. When I apply anything other than the do-nothing "display's built-in scaling" option in the control panel it just goes right back to "built-in". I installed the latest driver from nvidia.com but that did nothing. I googled a bit and found lots of people with the same issue. Anyone know if there is a fix?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Grey Area posted:

I upgraded my Nvidia 8600 GT to a GTS 250 and I lost the ability to do non-native resolution scaling. When I apply anything other than the do-nothing "display's built-in scaling" option in the control panel it just goes right back to "built-in". I installed the latest driver from nvidia.com but that did nothing. I googled a bit and found lots of people with the same issue. Anyone know if there is a fix?

Yeah, this is a stupid problem that's come up with at least nVidia and intel packages. (No word from ATi users, and I don't know how many other companies make 7-compatible video cards.) I have to think it's a policy decision.

Try doing it when you're in the resolution you're working on. Even then, you might be stuck with 1:1 and built-in.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Grey Area posted:

About every other release of the nvidia control panel software fixes/breaks this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The solution is to set your desktop resolution to a 4:3 resolution (e.g. 1024x768) and set the scaling to what you want (1:1). It should stick now and you should have black bars on the sides of your monitor, then change your resolution back to normal and never open that menu ever again or until you have to (i.e. when it breaks again).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How many machines is a Windows 7 key good for? Will it immediately freak out if I install Windows 7 on two machines with the same key? It's an MSDNAA key if that matters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Legally, one, try your luck with another I guess. Worst case scenario is that the first one is unactivated.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Ziploc posted:

How many machines is a Windows 7 key good for? Will it immediately freak out if I install Windows 7 on two machines with the same key? It's an MSDNAA key if that matters.

If it is an MSDNAA key then it is single-use, so you can only activate once.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

aksuur posted:

Anyone having problems with video? I tried installing CCCP but it didn't help.

I just switched from XP and now my fullscreen videos have an increased amount of pixelation, especially around edges of objects/people. Any ideas? It isn't the video quality, this happens on a 720p vid as well.

Edit - These issues appear in VLC and MPC.

Same thing happened with me until I installed CCCP and CoreAVC. It's probably using the Windows default codecs, which are terrible. Go into settings and make sure CoreAVC is an "external codec" and ffdshow does the audio.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I have an old computer with an AMD Athlon (:suicide:) X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz on it. Anyone know if this is powerful enough to view 1080p video?

I use CoreAVC and MPC-HC/CCCP and can play 1080p with no stuttering, but sometimes the video will kind of lag and look choppy but not actually stutter or whatever. Think that may be because of my TV's automotion 240hz stuff though. But I want to know if it may be my processor chopping it up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It mainly falls to your video card. If you have a decent video card, and you aren't running to many things, 1080p should be able to play.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
My video card is a 9600GT :/ How's that for that.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Cojawfee posted:

It mainly falls to your video card. If you have a decent video card, and you aren't running to many things, 1080p should be able to play.

If you're using a 3d accelerated video player, yeah. CoreAVC supports it via CUDA now, but before was CPU limited. Make sure you're using the latest version and a CUDA capable video card and you should be churning out 1080p without much problem.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Biodome posted:

I have an old computer with an AMD Athlon (:suicide:) X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz on it. Anyone know if this is powerful enough to view 1080p video?

I use CoreAVC and MPC-HC/CCCP and can play 1080p with no stuttering, but sometimes the video will kind of lag and look choppy but not actually stutter or whatever. Think that may be because of my TV's automotion 240hz stuff though. But I want to know if it may be my processor chopping it up.

In addition to what others said, it could be your network if you're streaming to your television. Yes, CoreAVC makes it where you can view 1080p on shittier processors, but streaming them is a whole separate bag. If you are streaming and the video is laggish, or of the audio/video goes out of sync, you might want to drop the bitrate down a bit and change it from 5.1 audio to stereo.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
CoreAVC using CUDA has nothing to do with most GPUs accelerating h264 playback, which they have been able to do through DXVA (WMP11+ supports this) since Vista, namely radeons since 2600 series and nvidia since G92 core 8800s.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Swilo posted:

CoreAVC using CUDA has nothing to do with most GPUs accelerating h264 playback, which they have been able to do through DXVA (WMP11+ supports this) since Vista, namely radeons since 2600 series and nvidia since G92 core 8800s.

Not everyone uses WMP11 :ssh:

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
WMP is such a fine piece of software yes

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Casao posted:

Not everyone uses WMP11 :ssh:
Other players will support it too, such as anything that will implement the built-in EVR renderer like MPC Home Cinema.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

You're right dude. I definitely heard a lot of bad poo poo about Vista and stayed away. We can only speculate if it were to run as smoothly as Windows 7 does for me.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bozz posted:

You're right dude. I definitely heard a lot of bad poo poo about Vista and stayed away. We can only speculate if it were to run as smoothly as Windows 7 does for me.

Win 7 and Vista are so much the same OS the performance difference is minor on modern hardware. I actually think it's funny that people love Win 7 so much because I've been using Vista since the day the RTM showed up on MSDN and while I quite like Win 7, it's pretty much a reskinned version of Vista with a few new features.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Going from 7 --> vista has made me notice that 7 runs a lot better. That or right after I went back to vista my computer decided to poo poo itself (which would not surprise me)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

Win 7 and Vista are so much the same OS the performance difference is minor on modern hardware. I actually think it's funny that people love Win 7 so much because I've been using Vista since the day the RTM showed up on MSDN and while I quite like Win 7, it's pretty much a reskinned version of Vista with a few new features.

7 Does do a lot of things better (which it should). While Vista is nice, I used it for a while, but eventually switched back to XP. 7 has everything I wanted out of Vista and more, while running better on the same hardware.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

7 Does do a lot of things better (which it should). While Vista is nice, I used it for a while, but eventually switched back to XP. 7 has everything I wanted out of Vista and more, while running better on the same hardware.

While 7 does have some nice changes I only notice maybe a slight speed increase in general over Vista. On this machine Win 7 also boots a bit slower than Vista did so I guess I'm not seeing much difference in performance between the two.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Shadowgate posted:

I never tried Vista because it had mixed reviews and if you guys tried it anyway and loved it then good for you. The fact that a new version of Windows shipped 2 years later is a testament to it's unreliability. I'm not going to sit around and curse the last two years because it may not have been so bad running it.

Bozz fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 26, 2009

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Bozz posted:

The fact that a new version of Windows shipped 2 years later is a testament to it's unreliability.
No, it's a testament to the fact that a large majority of the population bought into some marketing and believed it was unreliable without ever trying it themselves.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bozz posted:

I never tried Vista because it had mixed reviews and if you guys tried it anyway and loved it then good for you. The fact that a new version of Windows shipped 2 years later is a testament to it's unreliability. I'm not going to sit around and curse the last two years because it may not have been so bad running it.

2 years and 10 months is just about 3 years, pretty standard for a software life cycle.

I (and others) have mentioned this before: A huge part of the problem with Vista was Microsoft's complete and utter lack of response to the Mac ads. By the time MS had any kind of response at all, it was far too late for Vista to be saved in the public mindset.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I still laugh every time I hear "Windows 7 is just a renamed Vista because no one likes Vista. They had to come out with a new one after just two years because it sucks so much, and no one would buy it. :smug:"

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

I still laugh every time I hear "Windows 7 is just a renamed Vista because no one likes Vista. They had to come out with a new one after just two years because it sucks so much, and no one would buy it. :smug:"

It is somewhat true though. Sure Windows 7 has some very nice changes and new features but they didn't change all that much. It was definitely a smart move for MS to make some changes to Vista and release a new version due to all the negative publicity Vista received. I still maintain Vista was a fantastic OS and by default Windows 7 is too because the two are extremely similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shadowgate posted:

It was definitely a smart move for MS to make some changes to Vista and release a new version due to all the negative publicity Vista received.

Uh no. Windows 7 follows the same release schedule AS ALL THE PREVIOUS WINDOWS VERSIONS. XP was a huge exception, and XP SP2 was practically a new OS.