Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The page for the AK100 set is finally up.

LightsGameraAction posted:

Need some quick help. Might take advantage of that Essential Art House sale, but I can't decide between Volume 1 and Volume 4. Suggestions?

I would go for Volume 4, just because it has three titles not available in the regular Criterion line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

LightsGameraAction posted:

Need some quick help. Might take advantage of that Essential Art House sale, but I can't decide between Volume 1 and Volume 4. Suggestions?

My personal choice is set 2 (Black Orpheus is a personal favorite), but between 1 and 4 I would probably go with 4 as well. One has Rashoman and Lord of the Flies which are both great, but the fourth set has Throne of Blood which owns and the 39 Steps plus a Powell & Pressburger and the aforementioned otherwise unreleased films.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I have to give Throne of Blood 2 (bloody) thumbs up.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

LaptopGun posted:

Throne of Blood 2

I'd watch this.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I'd watch this.

Hahahahahahahahahaha Perhaps Steve Coogan should get on with Throne of Blood 2

It's like those ambiguous headlines that ensures good times were had by all.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

On the topic of releasing separate editions of the unreleased films in the AK100 box, Criterion is typically non-commital:

Criterion's Facebook posted:

We can't make any promises there. We'd like to get them out as singles so that anyone who has been collecting Criterion Kurosawas over time doesn't have to spring for the big box just to get four films, but our schedule is pretty jammed, so we can't say at the moment when or which of these might get separate releases. That said, we are certainly sensitive to the issue and will be taking it into account as we make the schedule.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

me posted:

Do you have any plans for Satyajit Ray? I'd love the Apu trilogy, the Calcultta trilogy, MAHANAGAR, DEVI, JALSAGHAR and CHARULATA. And how about Ritwik Ghatak? SUBARNAREKHA and MEGHE DHAKA TARA would be wonderful.

Criterion Facebook posted:

It's been a long haul, but we're getting closer...

Vague but hopeful.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I personally liked

Mmm... bacon!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Didn't know you could communicate with Criterion on facebook, sweet. Just shot them a(nother) question about the possibility of getting The Trial or Chimes at Midnight.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FitFortDanga posted:

On the topic of releasing separate editions of the unreleased films in the AK100 box, Criterion is typically non-commital:
I'm all for Criterion releasing more Kurosawa and all, but drat that AK100 box should've been called the `Double-dip me please: Kurosawa' box. Besides already owning all of the Criterion Kurosawas, some more than once already, I'm already expecting to re-buy most of them shortly on Blu Ray. You'd think folks like me would be right in the middle of the target audience for a big Criterion release like this, but it's like they're carefully constructing it to be as unattractive as possible to the core audience.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion's been pretty decent about responding to people on their Facebook page. No hard confirmations, but some vague "we'll get to it eventually" or "we'll think about it" type statements. And a few firm denials (like, um, Dick Tracy... what the hell are people thinking?).

The gist of the more recent posts:

* would love to do Murnau, but Kino holds most of the rights

* Weekend and Vivre Sa Vie are planned, but there's no schedule for them

* no apparent plans for German New Wave beyond the big names (Fassbinder, Wenders, et al)

* The Leopard on BR at some point

* Entre Nous is a "possibility"

* Major rights issues with securing any 5th Generation Chinese films (e.g. Yellow Earth)

* no plans for Uchida

* no plans for Robbe-Grillet

* will definitely get to more Kurosawa BR "soon"

* no plans for Tourneur

* no more Altman on the horizon

* very vague answer, but it sounds like no Trial or Chimes at Midnight

* "Not looking good at the moment" for Greenaway (unclear whether means Cook Thief Wife Lover or other Greenaway titles)

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 23, 2009

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

:allears:

Thank god I plan to at least have an HDTV by the end of the year, if not a player as well. Should always be able to pick up a used PS3 for a decent price down the road.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I asked about A Page of Madness and Time of the Gypsies, and the response was "Maybe, but both tricky".

They continue to be deliberately vague about Greenaway, but it's sounding more and more like we're not getting Cook Thief Wife Lover :( :( :(

On Love Streams (god I would love this): "The future is unclear"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

It's like they're looking into a Magic 8 Ball: "Outlook not so good", "Don't count on it", "Ask Again Later"

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

FitFortDanga posted:

I asked about A Page of Madness and Time of the Gypsies, and the response was "Maybe, but both tricky".

They continue to be deliberately vague about Greenaway, but it's sounding more and more like we're not getting Cook Thief Wife Lover :( :( :(

I've always wondered why Kusturica hasn't gotten more love from Criterion, especially considering that he has won a couple Palme d'Or awards and Underground is ripe for Criterion with its huge television original cut and then the theatrical cut, but at least Underground has some form of DVD release. I've been waiting for a while to see Black Cat White Cat, and its been at least ten years since I saw Gypsies.

Also, I wish they would get more Greenaway - after finally forgetting (or repressing) the mental scars off Zed and Two Naughts, I'm ready to tear of that band aid and bring on more trauma.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 23, 2009

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That they're not doing more Greenaway is tragic, mostly because I thought The Belly Of An Architect was absolutely incredible.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That they're not doing more Greenaway is tragic, mostly because I thought The Belly Of An Architect was absolutely incredible.

It's Drowning by Numbers that my heart aches for.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Sidney Lumet just walked in!

Que 34 comments of wild speculation. I like how some people just simply stated the name of a movie without any other explanation. I was quick to joke it was for a release of The Wiz.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Probably for the Golden Age of Television, given how many specials he directed.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion's been pretty decent about responding to people on their Facebook page. No hard confirmations, but some vague "we'll get to it eventually" or "we'll think about it" type statements. And a few firm denials (like, um, Dick Tracy... what the hell are people thinking?).

The gist of the more recent posts:

* would love to do Murnau, but Kino holds most of the rights

* Weekend and Vivre Sa Vie are planned, but there's no schedule for them

* no apparent plans for German New Wave beyond the big names (Fassbinder, Wenders, et al)

* Entre Nous is a "possibility"

* Major rights issues with securing any 5th Generation Chinese films (e.g. Yellow Earth)

* no plans for Uchida

* no plans for Robbe-Grillet

* will definitely get to more Kurosawa BR "soon"

* no plans for Tourneur

* no more Altman on the horizon

* very vague answer, but it sounds like no Trial or Chimes at Midnight

* "Not looking good at the moment" for Greenaway (unclear whether means Cook Thief Wife Lover or other Greenaway titles)

Yellow Earth wouldn't be a big loss, in my opinion. Although some of the other 5th Generation Chinese films are worthwhile.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They're still occasionally answering questions on the FB page, but they've slowed down. In the meantime, here's another confirmation from the main site:

Criterion posted:

Criterion will release a box set of [Pedro] Costa's Fontainhas Trilogy—Ossos, In Vanda's Room, and Colossal Youth—also including the shorts Tarrafal and The Rabbit Hunters, in early 2010.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

They had a very short contest on Facebook the other day where they gave away a $10 gift certificate to whoever guessed what the best selling title on Criterion.com was this year (it was Science is Fiction, go figure). So hopefully this is something they will continue to do in the future.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I've asked if there are any plans to release more Wenders in the near future, and mentioned that Until the End of the World is in desperate need of a proper R1 release. Their reply:

"Thanks for the suggestions. No plans for Until the End at the moment."

So... :/

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

quote:

Hey Criterion! Any possibility of seeing Night of the Hunter join the collection? I think a lot of people would like that!

quote:

It's high on our list but not 100% sure thing yet

Pleeeeeeeeeeease please please come to fruition.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Guillermo del Toro posted:

Cronos is evolving nicely. We are including a NEVER-SEEN-BEFORE version of Geometria (1987) the short that I made for 1 thousand bucks and that I was never able to finish the way I wanted it. NOW I re-finished it for this disc (don't worry, no CGI or fancy stuff) and I like it- I never did before- but now I do.

Cronos has never looked so beautiful. And we found dozens of photographs of the making of the device, etc.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

This pleases me. - Italian kid from Heavyweights.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Cronos stuff

:mario:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The Criterion Facebook page is awesome ... I just found out that Bunuel's "Los Olvidados" and a Blu-Ray edition of 8 1/2 are both in the works.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

The Criterion Facebook page is awesome ... I just found out that Bunuel's "Los Olvidados" and a Blu-Ray edition of 8 1/2 are both in the works.

I think I just creamed my jeans. I've been waiting for a proper US Los Olvidados release for quite some time. I hope it's in blu as well.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Asked about Bread & Chocolate on the Criterion Facebook page. No plans for it on the horizon. drat shame, as the DVD that exists of it is almost unwatchable. Phenomenal movie, though.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ACT has new art:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Newsletter:

Well, that's a no-brainer. 8 1/2 on Blu. Time to eBay my DVD.

Also, this:

Criterion posted:

Starting this Friday, our friends at deepdiscount.com are going to be offering an exclusive, limited-edition Criterion T-shirt to customers who order more than $50 worth of Criterion product. The dark green shirt with silver Criterion logo isn't available anywhere else, not even the Criterion website, so if you want one, get on over to Deep Discount DVD while supplies last!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a nice little incentive, but not nice enough to spend the extra $7+ they charge over Amazon plus tax(?) and shipping.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Newsletter:

Well, that's a no-brainer. 8 1/2 on Blu. Time to eBay my DVD.

Also, this:

Wouldn't it be better if you wait until the disc is actually released? Remember what happened with Ran.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bmmello posted:

Wouldn't it be better if you wait until the disc is actually released? Remember what happened with Ran.

I like to live on the edge. And with the holiday season approaching, the more shelf space I can free up, the better.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

I cannot possibly overstate how excited this makes me.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

doctor thodt posted:

That's a nice little incentive, but not nice enough to spend the extra $7+ they charge over Amazon plus tax(?) and shipping.

Huh? The offer is through deepdiscount.com, not their own website, which only charges tax in Ilinois and doesn't charge shipping. And the prices are often cheaper than Amazon. It's not enough to make me not wait for the November sale though.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My bad, but all the Blu-Ray prices seem to be $32.60 on DD versus 25 on Amazon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Also, this:

Oh no, I'm not falling for that again.

I never did receive my t-shirts I was suppose to get with The Last Emperor and The Third Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Criterion just did a lightning-fast contest on Facebook, where $10 would be awarded to the first who identified in a picture a certain director who was interviewed today.

The answer was Claire Denis, and if that means she is coming to the collection I'm all over it. Denis is one of my absolute favorite directors working today, auteur of masterpieces such as Trouble Every Day, Beau Travail, Friday Night and The Intruder. I had the pleasure of watching her two latest features in the Rio film festival, 35 Shots of Rum and White Material. They are very different from each other but both are quite awesome.